Cardiff City Forum

Gambler's Den

anyone tried this betfair lay betting?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:08 pm

HOW DOES LAY BETTING WORK?
Lay betting or to 'lay a horse', as it is sometimes known refers to picking a horse - usually the first favorite - to lose a race.
However, unlike traditional horse race betting where you 'back' a horse to win, by 'laying a horse' you effectively become a
bookmaker so that if your horse fails to lose the race and wins then you have to pay.

EXAMPLE LAY BET
You lay George Guru @ 7 in the 4.30 at Kempton on Betfair for a GBP 10 stake - see screenshot below. Your liability is the stake multiplied by the horse's laying odds minus the stake (GBP 10 x 7 - 10 = 60), thus you will lose GBP 60 if George Guru wins the race.
But if George Guru loses, as predicted, your payout will be GBP 70 (GBP 60 liability + 10 stake). Once you have entered the stake
on Betfair - your liability is automatically displayed. And to see the payout, just click the payout button so there is no need to worry
about calculating your liability and payout.

mite give it a go make a little profit but knowing my luck id bet it to lose and it will win haha unless u got a few quid prepared to bet big but u have to payout the liability if your wrong so its like you being the bookie

Re: anyone tried this betfair lay betting?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 pm

the best thing to do is to play both sides and lock in a small profit.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm

As i have posted before its the only betting site i use.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:As i have posted before its the only betting site i use.

I've just started using it and its very interesting. Still not got the hang of it but watched some of the videos. Interesting

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

I good lay bet would be us against Hull.