Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Wales Football Lose Backers "

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:12 am

Wales to lose lead sponsor after Vauxhall announce lucrative deal is to end after World Cup

Wales have to search for new backer despite taking Vauxhall name to the world during Euros

Thursday 30th March 2017

By Paul Abbdanato

Euro 2016 semi-finalists Wales will have to seek a new main sponsor after Vauxhall announced they were ending their seven-year partnership with the home nations following the World Cup.

And FA of Wales chief Jonathan Ford has confirmed the association is now looking to a new lead sponsor.

The car manufacturer has been the leading commercial partner for Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland since 2011.

But Vauxhall revealed on Wednesday that the agreements would terminate next summer.

Gareth Bale and his team-mates gave the Vauxhall branding a terrific profile as a result of their incredible march to the last four of the Euros in France, sporting Vauxhall kit at training sessions and Press conferences during the tournament.

FIFA rules prohibit the use of a sponsor's logo on shirts during international games.

A statement from Vauxhall outlined the firm's pride at working with the four home nations, but said it was looking to move resources into other areas.

"Vauxhall Motors today announced that it will be stepping down from its role as lead sponsor of the England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland football teams beyond the World Cup in 2018," read the statement.

"Vauxhall has, however, agreed to explore other opportunities to continue its work with the FAs beyond the conclusion of the existing contracts.

"Since 2011, Vauxhall has been very proud to be the lead sponsor for each of the four home nations football associations, the first time this has been undertaken by a major organisation.

"Vauxhall will concentrate its marketing resources on communicating the depth of new, innovative and technologically advanced models that will be launched over the coming months and years."

In a statement, FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford said: "The partnership between the FAW and Vauxhall has been hugely successful for both parties. We have enjoyed an excellent working relationship. We now look forward to enjoying similar success with our future lead sponsor."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Wales Football Lose Backers "

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:37 pm

made me laugh that the welsh said it was beneficial to them. it turns out Vauxhall spend £11m a year on sponsorship on the 4 home nations. and England more than 75% of that money. skysports had a one of their people share the details yesterday on the show. which means theres around £2.75m split between Scotland wales and northern Ireland.

Re: " Wales Football Lose Backers "

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm

bluebird04 wrote:made me laugh that the welsh said it was beneficial to them. it turns out Vauxhall spend £11m a year on sponsorship on the 4 home nations. and England more than 75% of that money. skysports had a one of their people share the details yesterday on the show. which means theres around £2.75m split between Scotland wales and northern Ireland.

Well, I guess it was £2.75m more than they got from the other 'main' sponsor (I don't recall there being one) so even c.£915k pa will have helped ;)

England will always be the 'more attractive' home nation on population alone, so no surprise and Vauxhall should be thanked for any money they put into football over recent years

I understand they are continuing sponsorship at a lower level?

All about perspectives, I guess :thumbup: