Do you want him back at Cardiff City Next Season?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am

Should Cardiff City push the boat out to secure a return for Joe Ledley?

By Jamie Kemble

Monday 22nd May 2017

Joe Ledley is set to leave Crystal Palace this summer and Cardiff fans can be forgiven for dreaming of a homecoming this summer.

The Welsh international will be looking for a new club this summer with his current deal at Selhurst Park coming to an end.

And Cardiff City fans will be hoping their club will be one of his potential suitors ahead of next season.

The Bluebirds certainly wouldn’t be alone in chasing the 30-year-old’s signature, but having come through the academy to make 229 senior league appearances with the club, Cardiff would almost certainly be favoured destination above any other Championship club if they expressed an interest.

The midfielder would also serve as a marquee signing for Neil Warnock to build his team around ahead of what’s set up to be a very promising campaign of next, and for free.

Although, the wages would be a potential sticking point with Ledley currently on a Premier League contract.

Cardiff are currently reducing their wage bill, but making an exception to bring Joe Ledley home, could be the best decision they make all season.

Ledley was a real fan favourite during his time in South Wales – he represented the passion in the stands on the pitch and gave the supporters a real sense of identity in their team.

And that was certainly helped by the fact he was involved in a memorable FA Cup campaign which saw Cardiff reach the final, as well as reaching the play-off final two years later.

After shedding plenty of tears on the Wembley pitch following that play-off final defeat, he moved on to Celtic, before current club Crystal Palace offered him his first taste of Premier League football.

Now, 30 years of age and seemingly looking for a new club after making just 18 Premier League appearances this season, it could be time for a return to where it all started.

It may be just a dream for Cardiff City supporters at present, but it’s something the club ought to seriously consider.

The club are starting to get things right on and off the pitch with the appointment of Neil Warnock and the subsequent purple patch under the new boss.

Supporters are eagerly awaiting next season and what it may hold for the Bluebirds, and what better way to kick-start the campaign than paving a return for Joe Ledley who still has a spot in every City fan’s heart.

And it certainly wouldn’t be sentiment alone that makes him a target – Ledley is an excellent midfielder who would be guaranteed a starting spot under Neil Warnock.

You need experienced heads in order to do well in the Championship, and with 72 international caps alongside more than 400 league appearances, Ledley fits the bill.

On a personal level, Ledley will be eager to stay at the highest level possible after three years in the top flight, but he needs to be playing much more regularly than he has this season – especially from Chris Coleman’s point of view.

Cardiff could without a doubt offer him that next season if they can juggle the finances and convince him to move back to South Wales.

The Bluebirds would have to move quickly if they wanted to gain an edge over stiff competition upon his contract expiry.

However, if they did manage to sign Joe Ledley this summer, then confidence in the Bluebirds’ promotion push, shirt sales and indeed ticket sales, could all receive a welcome boost this summer.
Attachments
21959205278_02ccacd51c_z.jpg
21959205278_02ccacd51c_z.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Do you want him back at Cardiff City Next Season?

Postby grange_end1927 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 am

Yes please he's just bought a new house in Penarth and I am sure this move would suit all involved.
grange_end1927

Postby GotMeSingingTheBlues » Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am

On the right wages yes. Him and Gunnars patrolling the midfield with a creative spark playing in front of them would be a really strong midfield in this league. :bluebird:
GotMeSingingTheBlues

Postby neilst » Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 am

No. No better than what we got
neilst

Postby bluemun » Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 am

He's amazingly similar to Ralls....in fact, it's hard to choose as Ralls is younger with more potential. I'd like to see him back, but at present we have other priorities, a striker and winger especially.
bluemun

Postby nubbsy » Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 am

He's good enough to start in our team no problem imo, but there's one glaringly obvious reason he won't come and not worth discussing - wages.
nubbsy

Postby boyo1927 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am

Absolutely led let has shown how good he is with wales. Personally think he could get another lower premier club. However to get him back on a free is a great deal. Him and gunnar in midfield would be amazing and driving force of the division with pacey wingers and big Ken. Come home joe...
boyo1927

Postby llan bluebird » Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 am

bluemun wrote:He's amazingly similar to Ralls....in fact, it's hard to choose as Ralls is younger with more potential. I'd like to see him back, but at present we have other priorities, a striker and winger especially.

Uncanny, I was just about the say exactly the same thing !!

The only difference is we wasted two season trying to turn Ralls into Whitts instead of letting him be Joe Ralls....I just wish he ran in behind the striker more like the young Ledley used to do.

No better than Gunnar who is 3 years younger. Ledley was a runner who has lost his legs and tried to be a sitter.

Imagine Gunnar, Ledley and Whitts in your midfield !!! Perhaps the slowest and least mobile in professional football.
llan bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon May 22, 2017 12:02 pm

No for me.
2blue2handle

Postby Jazz Cock » Mon May 22, 2017 12:54 pm

[a big yes from me :bluebird:
It's better to burn out than to fade away.
Jazz Cock

Postby Mr Moo Cow » Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Whenever he plays for Wales he never seems to see the game out

Always tires after around 65 minutes
Mr Moo Cow

Postby nubbsy » Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Whenever he plays for Wales he never seems to see the game out

Always tires after around 65 minutes

That's a good point actually...
nubbsy

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon May 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Not for me, not if we're serious about pushing for a top six place.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Big no from me. Wrong side of 30, best days behind him, and probably would'nt be good value for money. Doubt if he will come cheap salary wise, and I would rather see a bit of youthful enthusiasm in the team.
Steve Zodiak

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Would love for Joe Ledley and Wayne Hennessey to both join Cardiff City!
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 pm

yes, would be great to see Ledley and Gunnar in the holding midfield role, cant imagine 2 better players at it in the championship tbh. cant see it happening though , as I don't think Warnock is that keen on him and his wages might be an issue as well.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby rhondda 1015 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Not for me, don't rate him at all.
VALLEY LEAFLETS, TONYPANDY,RCT--A RELIABLE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE FOR YOUR LEAFLETS/BUSINESS CARDS/BROCHURES ETC...

SECOND TIME AROUND
RECORD SHOP
TONYPANDY
RCT
CF40 1QD
rhondda 1015

Postby Sven » Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Not for me for reasons stated previously plus his apparent loss of stamina in the professional arena ;)

Wouldn't be enamoured by signing Wayne Hennessy either :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby nick_strin » Mon May 22, 2017 5:10 pm

No thanks.
Season ticket holder, Ninian Stand block 112.
nick_strin

Postby BobbyBlue » Mon May 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Not for me I like Ledley but would prefer the time effort and money he put into devolving a younger player.
BobbyBlue

Postby MarshfieldIsBlue » Mon May 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Ledley and Gunnarsson as defensive midfielders, Ralls/someone of that ilk as an attacking midfielder... Pace in Hoilett and Harris on the wings. That would be very strong!
MarshfieldIsBlue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 pm

About a hundred threads on this over the last year or so and it's still a big no from me.
Just a water carrier and not a very good one.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Sven » Mon May 22, 2017 9:19 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:About a hundred threads on this over the last year or so and it's still a big no from me.

Well said, Paul :thumbup: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby nubbsy » Mon May 22, 2017 10:10 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:Ledley and Gunnarsson as defensive midfielders, Ralls/someone of that ilk as an attacking midfielder... Pace in Hoilett and Harris on the wings. That would be very strong!

A midfield devoid of finishing product!
nubbsy

Postby Nickoblue23 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:39 am

It's a no for me and if Wales want to get any further they need to give him the chop as well. Great​ character and probably amazing for the dressing room but unfortunately his legs are gone. Joe Allen is a far better option for Wales just like Gunner would be far better for the City. I like the look of Gunner as defensive midfield, Ralls as the legs, we just need a creative 10 to slip balls through for Zohore. Get some pace with quality out wide and we will be a force next season. Unfortunately all those players won't be cheap and will probably require bigger wages. Saying that I would have Ledley over Halford any day!!!
Nickoblue23

Postby Cantonian » Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 am

Oh no so slow,we need someone with pace.we're looking for a promotion push not another mid table finish
Cantonian

Postby Nuclearblue » Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am

Yes but pay silly wages definitely not. He is ok but not worth getting our Club in the shit for.
Nuclearblue

Postby dogfound » Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:About a hundred threads on this over the last year or so and it's still a big no from me.

same here and i dont think anyone else would want him here either if he wasnt local.
dogfound

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue May 23, 2017 12:25 pm

dogfound wrote:

same here and i dont think anyone else would want him here either if he wasnt local.

Our fans love living in the past.
2blue2handle

Postby griff105 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Super Joe.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Next

Return to General Chat