Joe Ledley coming back to Cardiff on a Free?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Joe Ledley coming back to Cardiff on a Free?

Postby Dahboy » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm

It's just ok and that's about it.
Dahboy

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby piledriver64 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:00 pm

I think Warnock really wants two holding CMs and has often played Halford and Gunnar there this season. It gives the creative players license to roam.

He did it with QPR and Palace too.

Ledley would do well at this level and it's about time we bought for the "now" rather than always thinking of "one for the future". I'd be surprised if it happened but not disappointed.
piledriver64

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

nubbsy wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:Please NO :thumbup:

CARDIFF CITY the club that told us there still cost cutting then getting rid of players such as manga on there or there abouts the same money to be replaced by an aged ledley ...Madness if it come off :shock:

How do you know what wages he would settle for??

Joe is a very, very wealthy man and probably wouldn't need big wages, might just be he would take a big pay cut to come back to live by his family and friends.

A 2 year contract with us on say 7k a week is not far short of a £million if you include bonuses...not to be sniffed at!!!

Him accepted a lower wage is believable... But 7k that's just ridiculous.

Why is a 2 year contract earning him £1 million ridiculous??? Especially if it means coming home to be close to family and friends and living back in his own town

Add the money he gets from his Wales appearances and his sponsorship perks etc it not a bad deal at all. As long as he has been sensible he not going to ever have to work again

Don't underestimate the lure of "coming home" to a player coming to the end of his career
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby SamCCFC1927 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Would love him back personally :ayatollah:
We're Cardiff City We'll Always Be Blue
SamCCFC1927

Postby buckleys brewery » Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Please do'nt come back, Ledley.
buckleys brewery

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:Please NO :thumbup:

CARDIFF CITY the club that told us there still cost cutting then getting rid of players such as manga on there or there abouts the same money to be replaced by an aged ledley ...Madness if it come off :shock:

How do you know what wages he would settle for??

Joe is a very, very wealthy man and probably wouldn't need big wages, might just be he would take a big pay cut to come back to live by his family and friends.

A 2 year contract with us on say 7k a week is not far short of a £million if you include bonuses...not to be sniffed at!!!

Him accepted a lower wage is believable... But 7k that's just ridiculous.

Why is a 2 year contract earning him £1 million ridiculous??? Especially if it means coming home to be close to family and friends and living back in his own town

Add the money he gets from his Wales appearances and his sponsorship perks etc it not a bad deal at all. As long as he has been sensible he not going to ever have to work again

Don't underestimate the lure of "coming home" to a player coming to the end of his career

:thumbright:
nubbsy

Postby llan bluebird » Wed May 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Not a fan of returning players, but Joe is a character and would be good for a quiet dressing room (warnocks first observation and slade always said it as well)

Desperately need a first choice 10 with Whitts as the back, up as Gunnar and Ledley can barely pass water without spraying it everywhere bar the target.

Would have preferred Charlie Adam
llan bluebird

Postby darboy » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

he is over the hill------we need hungry younger players :old:
darboy

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 24, 2017 7:38 pm

BrightBlueFuture wrote:For Wales I always hope we have Ledley, Allen and Ramsey playing. Without Ledley we don't quite function the same way.

Your right Wales are a better team with Ledley.
nubbsy

Postby bluebird58 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 pm

The way to attract players of his ability is to offer low wages but big bonuses for appearances, goals, assists etc. And a big fat promotion bonus too.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Pencoed » Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Love him back never forget that goal against Sheffield United. Cardiff boy came up with the goods when the club seemed to be falling apart.
Pencoed

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Pencoed wrote:Love him back never forget that goal against Sheffield United. Cardiff boy came up with the goods when the club seemed to be falling apart.

And Burnley in the semis!
nubbsy

Postby norms76 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Pencoed wrote:Love him back never forget that goal against Sheffield United. Cardiff boy came up with the goods when the club seemed to be falling apart.

Barnsley. :thumbright: :bluebird:
norms76

Postby Pencoed » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Just remember kav being sold on the Friday and talk of administration think we'd lost a few on the bounce, United were doing well (warnock incharge) Then deep in second half in front of the Grange End f*cking loved it.

Think it was after this game Sam came out to speak to the fans on sloper road
Pencoed

Postby nubbsy » Wed May 24, 2017 10:33 pm

norms76 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Barnsley. :thumbright: :bluebird:

That's the one. I could barely see the pitch to be fair I was so pissed so not suprised I forgot.
nubbsy

Postby Bluebird72 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:Just been Tweeted this

Noremac Tuot‏ @NoremacTuot

@AnnisAbraham

Just bumped into Chris Ledley, father of Joe who I know very well. Ledley back on a free :thumbright:

Bought a home in Penarth recently wife moved in.

Would be sick if we pulled it off, but how reliable is the source?
Bluebird72

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 am

BrightBlueFuture wrote:For Wales I always hope we have Ledley, Allen and Ramsey playing. Without Ledley we don't quite function the same way.

Agree!
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Willo Cardiff » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 am

People slagging joe is ridiculous, he's supported this club since he was a kid and still does now his dad and bother are still big city fans, if there is a possibility of him returning I hope the club snatch at the chance. If the club want to push for playoffs joe is the man to help us achieve that.
Willo Cardiff

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Willo Cardiff wrote:People slagging joe is ridiculous, he's supported this club since he was a kid and still does now his dad and bother are still big city fans, if there is a possibility of him returning I hope the club snatch at the chance. If the club want to push for playoffs joe is the man to help us achieve that.

Thought he was a Liverpool fan
2blue2handle

Postby Sven » Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Willo Cardiff wrote:People slagging joe is ridiculous, he's supported this club since he was a kid and still does now his dad and bother are still big city fans, if there is a possibility of him returning I hope the club snatch at the chance. If the club want to push for playoffs joe is the man to help us achieve that.

Luke, the only time we see Willo is when he's defending Joe Ledley ;)

Joe is a known Liverpool fan and lost any City 'fan' status the day he left the club with no recourse when he went to Scotland for the money and City were in need of money from a transfer to an English based club :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby goats » Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Think he will be a good signing, a mature local, he is probably better now than when he left. He will have learned an awful lot.
goats

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Joe a known Liverpool fan and lost any City 'fan' status the day he left the club with no recourse when he went to Scotland for the money and City were in need of money from a transfer to an English based club :(

Agree with you Sven. Should add that he's slower than me, and I'm the wrong side of 60.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Willo Cardiff » Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Joe a known Liverpool fan and lost any City 'fan' status the day he left the club with no recourse when he went to Scotland for the money and City were in need of money from a transfer to an English based club :(

If you look at my previous posts they're not just defending Ledley so that's that settled :thumbright:
Willo Cardiff

Postby dogfound » Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

must add he made a lot of noise about plating in the prem.. then ends up playing in. well
dogfound

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Chris, it's not often I disagree with you mate but I have to say that JL was looking after himself and tbh we were wrong to expect him to do what's best for CCFC. He looked after himself, just like any 'non fan' would have done in his position.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:25 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Chris, it's not often I disagree with you mate but I have to say that JL was looking after himself and tbh we were wrong to expect him to do what's best for CCFC. He looked after himself, just like any 'non fan' would have done in his position.

Sorry Chris, I've just re read your post and I think my post basically agrees with yours. It's late and humid, that's my excuse :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Sven » Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Sorry Chris, I've just re read your post and I think my post basically agrees with yours. It's late and humid, that's my excuse :thumbup:

Andrew, thats fine. I can see we are broadly in agreement :thumbright:

I bet you're not as hot and humid as our mutual friend tonight! LOL :laughing6:

I was out there last week (a little further south) and it was mid 30's the whole time. Love it! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Thu May 25, 2017 10:51 pm

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

must add he made a lot of noise about plating in the prem.. then ends up playing in. well

Sorry, I think that's agreeing with me but not 100% sure, as he did end up playing in the one-team league :thumbright:

But you might be saying he made noises about playing in the Premier League; eventually ending up there and playing reasonable well for the Stripey Nigels, which I guess he did ;)

Never really knocked him as a player, although he was never my favourite, but the way he left will always leave a taste in my mouth given he was a Cardiff lad and a City player from his early days

Lots of 'stories' around as to the truth but I've never seen one from Joe putting the record straight. Others, Ridsdale included, had their say and stated that Joe's agent was never really open to proper negotiation, which is why the "kept their options open" until the end of the season and then jumped at the first secure 'big money' offer

I sort of admire Willo for being so loyal but there are others who claim to be close to the real story who will tell you there were a few 'non-footballing' reasons Joe wanted away, too! :|
Sven

Postby Bartley » Fri May 26, 2017 7:11 am

djronnieb wrote:This would be a bad signing
If we want to get back to the premier league we want players who got some pace and last a full match
Whatever wages we pay him it will be too much
I would rather Charlie Adams or Dave Edwards any day
Sorry but signing Ledley would be a step backwards for us for a part time player
I would be very surprised if Warnock wanted him

So you wouldn't want Ledley because he has no pace but you'd have, a man so well known for his pace, Charlie Adam? Someone isn't a Ledley fan! i think it's crazy that people are saying he's not good enough when he was a fairly regular starter in a prem team last season! So he's good enough for a prem team but not s team that just got in the top half of the championship. :banghead:
Bartley

Postby bluemun » Fri May 26, 2017 7:41 am

Have to say,despite his heroics for Wales, I'd prefer Adam (if Whitts goes). He'll score more goals and has great set piece delivery. However, we do need a more mobile, creative midfielder.
bluemun

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat