Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Danny Ward good enough?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

So after watching him last night, I have no idea why we have signed him. He is absolutely useless. I don't think I saw him even attempt to win a header tonight, instead just backing into the opposition players who comfortably headed it to safety. Also doesn't appear to be able to hit a barn door, as some of his "finishing" if you could call It that was absolutely horrific. Managed the odd link up, but I often found myself sighing when he was near the ball hoping that he didn't get it.

He would probably be ok if we had signed him in league 1, but not for a pl promotion push.

I'm curious to know what other peoples opinions are because I whole heartedly trust NW and his decisions but this one is the most debateable I think.

Re: Is Danny Ward good enough?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

In the league he's not really been given enough time on the park to make any difference.
From what you've already said about his work ethic, this maybe the reason why. :shock:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Ive learnt over the years never to judge players to much on league cup games especially with so many changes.

He hasn't had a run in the team yet and if we don't get any injuries that will probably be his role. Will judge him come Christmas time.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Got to disagree ward linked up well on the floor with Tomlin but it's no good hoofing the ball up to him hes not a zohore type striker he needs the ball on the floor ,he can play wing too ,i think he will do ok if hes with the 1st team players

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I thought he suffered last night because of the way the team was set up as he was moved to the left side in the first half because Bogle was given the main striker role.

In the 2nd half in was moved into a more central role and despite repeatedly having the high played up the middle to him, food and drink to Ben Turner, he did at times link up well with Tomlin. Following the arrival of Pilkington and Mendez-Laing both Ward and Tomlin stepped up a gear because of the extra movement of both those players. In the last 15 minutes Ward had 3 efforts on target and was unlucky not to score.

Bogle needs time to get match sharp and into the way NW sets up the team so until then we need Ward as he is a better prospect than Pilkington for the central striker role.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:41 pm

wez1927 wrote:Got to disagree ward linked up well on the floor with Tomlin but it's no good hoofing the ball up to him hes not a zohore type striker he needs the ball on the floor ,he can play wing too ,i think he will do ok if hes with the 1st team players

Couldn't agree more.

We could have had the worlds best strikers last night, wouldn't of mattered.
Piss poor CM's caused it. No outlet from defence because they went hiding. Forcing the long ball.
O'Keefe and Halford put in two of the worst displays ive seen for a CM pairing.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Got to disagree ward linked up well on the floor with Tomlin but it's no good hoofing the ball up to him hes not a zohore type striker he needs the ball on the floor ,he can play wing too ,i think he will do ok if hes with the 1st team players

Couldn't agree more.

Piss poor CM's caused it. No outlet from defence because they went hiding. Forcing the long ball.

Agree ,once halford went off and laing and dofur came on we were much better

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:51 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with that. No team could function with O'Keefe and Halford in midfield, and that the constant hoof upfield that resulted was meat and drink to Big Ben. But there was one incident in the second half when Ward was outpaced by Turner, and that is cause for concern.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with that. No team could function with O'Keefe and Halford in midfield, and that the constant hoof upfield that resulted was meat and drink to Big Ben. But there was one incident in the second half when Ward was outpaced by Turner, and that is cause for concern.
I noticed that. Turner-not by recollection the quickest of players- gave him a couple of yards and quite easily got to the ball before him.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Man of Harlech wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

I noticed that. Turner-not by recollection the quickest of players- gave him a couple of yards and quite easily got to the ball before him.

I thought ward had a groin injury towards the end

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 am

Simple answer... Too early to tell. Anyone writting him off needs to a. Take a look at zahores first few games and b. Look at warnock record of signing players for us.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:31 am

hes a good honest pro but is completely out of his depth at this level,it looks like it was easy and lazy option by Warnock to sign him

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 am

The jury is still out on this one ... only time will tell. Keep the faith boys!

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:17 pm

angelis1949 wrote:hes a good honest pro but is completely out of his depth at this level,it looks like it was easy and lazy option by Warnock to sign him

Yeah warnock probably just couldn't be bothered to look further so thought f**k it there's 1.6m that'll save me some time if nothing else.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:18 pm

nubbsy wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:hes a good honest pro but is completely out of his depth at this level,it looks like it was easy and lazy option by Warnock to sign him

Yeah warnock probably just couldn't be bothered to look further so thought f**k it there's 1.6m that'll save me some time if nothing else.

:laughing6: :happy1:

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:43 pm

He hasn't had the benefit of a game with Ralls and Gunnarsson behind him in midfield. Judge him then.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Generally , we weren't playing to his strengths. He's nippy and can play 'off the shoulder'. We kept thumping it up to him in the air and he didn't stand a chance.
I think he'll improve as will Tomlin. Both must have game time though.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Was genuinely painful watching our players lump long balls up to Ward who kept getting squished by Burtons Centre backs. Impossible to judge him at this stage really

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Yeah warnock probably just couldn't be bothered to look further so thought f**k it there's 1.6m bbthat'll save me some time if nothing else.

Mr nubbsy I thought you would have been to busy with your duties of being the secretary of my fan club to have the time to post on here

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:46 pm

To answer the OP question yes, he's definitely good enough. Ask yourself the same question at the end of the season and you'll see. Got all the attributes to be a important player for us.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Warnock seem's to think there's something there. He hasn't signed a flop yet, so let's give him the time he needs! :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 pm

BlueDredd wrote:Warnock seem's to think there's something there. He hasn't signed a flop yet, so let's give him the time he needs! :ayatollah: :bluebird:

He seems confident in the lad and praised him on Tuesday, so maybe sees a future for him and I hope it works out. One game either way shouldn't make or break a player! :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Great goal today, with little starting time he seems so far the ideal squad player. Fill in upfront fill in wide, good work ethics and now has his first goal, a good goal as well.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

angelis1949 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Yeah warnock probably just couldn't be bothered to look further so thought f**k it there's 1.6m bbthat'll save me some time if nothing else.

Mr nubbsy I thought you would have been to busy with your duties of being the secretary of my fan club to have the time to post on here

Your starting to sound like roathie haha

... But at least Ward proved you right yesterday, complete waste of money!

It's still early days, he hasn't played alot of football for us but your comments surely put you directly in that category of those who write players off too soon. A very poisonous attitude imo.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:55 pm

nubbsy wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

It's still early days, he hasn't played alot of football for us but your comments surely put you directly in that category of those who write players off too soon. A very poisonous attitude imo.

:happy1: (Thread Commentary) "Nubby's throws a left hook how will 1949's respond?" :D

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

:happy1: (Thread Commentary) "Nubby's throws a left hook how will 1949's respond?" :D

Probably by pulling his curtains shut tight and staying in a darkened room for 48 hours he's so miserable and negative!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Sorry Tony when nubbsy throws a left hook it's game over! :lol: