Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FORMER CARDIFF CITY STRIKER ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 pm

KenwyneJonesCardiff_3108212.jpg
Kenwyne Jones had a few seasons with the Bluebirds but his time has come and now he has announced his retirement from Football

KENWYNE JONES RETIRES FROM FOOTBALL :bluebird:

Former Premier League striker Kenwyne Jones announced his retirement Monday after one season with Atlanta United.

21/11/17

Gerardo Martino's side parted ways with Jones earlier Monday, with Atlanta announcing the club had declined his contract option for the 2018 season.

And the 33-year-old later confirmed he was calling it a career, tweeting: "Football has been great to me, I thank everyone who has helped me on the way, I appreciate you, but this is my last year in the sport."

Football has been great to me , I thank everyone who has helped me on the way , I appreciate you , but this is my last year in the sport...#onelove
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FORMER CARDIFF CITY STRIKER ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Got a lot of criticism from our fans due to his work rate but he was never the sort of player to chase every ball.

But when he was on form, he was good.

I’m sure he enjoyed his time with us with his £40,000+ a week wages.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Got a lot of criticism from our fans due to his work rate but he was never the sort of player to chase every ball.

Was top scorer for 2 seasons wasn't he? Can't really fault him for that

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Kenwyne Jones was hampered by his wages...but only once the whole club was in decline, those around him failed to play to his strengths and 'boo-boys' started looking for easy targets! ;)

Never going to be many peoples favourite but did a job for City and (as someone else points out) was our top scorer for two seasons, so clearly did his job better than some! :thumbright:

Good luck to Kenwyne Jones for his future! :ayatollah:

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 am

NorthCardiffBlue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Got a lot of criticism from our fans due to his work rate but he was never the sort of player to chase every ball.

Was top scorer for 2 seasons wasn't he? Can't really fault him for that

Exactly :thumbright:

I made a joke about him enjoying his time with us due to his wage, but to be fair to him... I met him a couple of times and he was one of the nicest people you could meet. Always had time to chat to fans.

Re: FORMER CARDIFF CITY STRIKER ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 am

Was Kenwyne worth the £50,000 a week we were paying him?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am

Former Premier League striker Kenwyne Jones announced his retirement Monday after one season with Atlanta United.

Gerardo Martino's side parted ways with Jones earlier Monday, with Atlanta announcing the club had declined his contract option for the 2018 season.

And the 33-year-old later confirmed he was calling it a career, tweeting: "Football has been great to me, I thank everyone who has helped me on the way, I appreciate you, but this is my last year in the sport."

Football has been great to me , I thank everyone who has helped me on the way , I appreciate you , but this is my last year in the sport...#onelove

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm

I thought he did quite well for us.

He was vastly over paid but the problem came from the signing of Odemwingy who just wasn’t very good and didn’t fit our “Style” at all. So was £40k a week for Jones good business, certainly not. Was paying 10k more a week to have Jones here instead of Odemwingy then I would probably say yes.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Was Kenwyne worth the £50,000 a week we were paying him?

Absolutely no chance. He was the best we had at that time but not even worth half that price.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Opened this hoping it was Kenny Millar :lol:

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

He was a good player for us, I liked him, he was just well well overpayed.