Breaking: " Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 am

Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal at end of the season

The Guardian

Friday 20th April 2018

Arsène Wenger will leave at the end of the season.

Arsène Wenger will leave Arsenal at the end of the season, bringing to an end a trophy-laden but also increasingly fractious 22-year association between the Frenchman and the club.

Arsenal made the surprise announcement on Friday morning and after Wenger had informed the squad of his decision during training before their home match against West Ham on Sunday. Wenger signed a fresh two-year contract extension last summer and while there was speculation the 68-year-old would leave halfway though that deal, few thought confirmation of that would arrive before the conclusion of the current campaign, especially with a Europa League semi-final against Atlético Madrid to come.

“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season,” said Wenger in a statement posted on Arsenal’s website. “I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

“I managed the club with full commitment and integrity. I want to thank the staff, the players, the directors and the fans who make this club so special. I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high. To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club. My love and support for ever.”

Wenger was a relative unknown in this country when he was appointed Arsenal’s manager in September 1996. But having led the club to the double in his first full season in charge, he quickly became viewed as a revolutionary figure, introducing sophisticated methods to the preparation and well-being of players as well as tapping into the overseas market to sign relatively unheraled players such as Patrick Vieira and Emmanuel Petit who turned out to be world-class talents and part of one of the most thrilling, eye-catching teams ever seen on these shores.

Another double followed in 2002 before the Invincibles campaign, when Arsenal won the 2003-04 title without losing a single game. Two years later, Wenger led Arsenal to the Champions League final, which they lost to Barcelona, and that ultimately proved to be the beginning of the end as far as his reputation as one of the leading managerial figures in this country was concerned.

Wenger ends a 22-year association with the club.
Wenger ends a 22-year association with the club. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian
Since 2006, the only trophy Arsenal have won has been the FA Cup, albeit on three occasions, while their displays in the Champions League have become increasingly poor, the nadir being their 10-2 aggregate defeat to Bayern Munich last year. Wenger’s defence of this has, in part, included the financial restrictions he has had to work under as a consequence of Arsenal moving to the Emirates Stadium 12 years ago but this line of reasoning has increasingly worn thin with supporters, especially given Arsenal’s increased financial mite in recent years.

The ire of the fanbase has been stoked by the regular loss of key players, most notably Cesc Fàbregas, Robin van Persie and Alexis Sánchez, alongside the club’s slide down the Premier League. Last season they finished outside of the top four for the first time under Wenger’s reign and this year sit in sixth and just two points ahead of seventh-placed Burnley with five games to go. Arsenal are also the only team in the whole of England not to have collected a single point away from home in 2018.

Wenger has appeared almost completely oblivious to the resentment among an increasing number of Arsenal fans to his ongoing stay at the club – seen, in part, by declining attendances at the Emirates – but Friday’s announcement would suggest he has finally accepted he can no longer take the club forward.

“This is one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport,” said Arsenal’s majority shareholder Stan Kroenke. “One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsène has brought to the club on and off the pitch. His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched.

“Arsène has unparalleled class and we will always be grateful to him. Everyone who loves Arsenal and everyone who loves football owes him a debt of gratitude. Three Premier League titles, including an entire season unbeaten, seven FA Cup triumphs and 20 successive years in the Champions League is an exceptional record. He has also transformed the identity of our club and of English football with his vision for how the game can be played.”

It truly is the end of an era.
Attachments
4584.jpg
4584.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Breaking: " Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am

Should have gone a few years ago.

Can see Patrick Vieira being a strong contender to replace him, manager of New York City FC at the moment.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Bluebina » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:31 am

Warnocks was offered it and said .... ... i'm staying with the Bluebirds because I love them :laughing6:
Bluebina

Postby Bluebina » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Should have gone a few years ago.

Can see Patrick Vieira being a strong contender to replace him, manager of New York City FC at the moment.

Thiery Henry has already shown interest in the job hasn't he, I wonder how he would do in management ?????

Be careful what you wish for Arsenal fans, constantly being 4th in the Premier League may look like a great achievement in 5 years time !!!
Bluebina

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

Bluebina wrote:

Thiery Henry has already shown interest in the job hasn't he, I wonder how he would do in management ?????

Be careful what you wish for Arsenal fans, constantly being 4th in the Premier League may look like a great achievement in 5 years time !!!

Agree and disagree with this, I think it was time they had a change the club has a stale feel about them.

They have to make sure they get the right manager or the club can soon start to drop down and lose the stability they have had over the years. What has Viera and Henry done to warrant a job like this?

If I was the Arsenal board id go straight for Ancelotti and if not then move for Howe.

I just read Brenda is the fav :lol:
2blue2handle

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Agree and disagree with this, I think it was time they had a change the club has a stale feel about them.

They have to make sure they get the right manager or the club can soon start to drop down and lose the stability they have had over the years. What has Viera and Henry done to warrant a job like this?

If I was the Arsenal board id go straight for Ancelotti and if not then move for Howe.

Look what happened to Man Utd when Sir Alex retired.

Although, probably fair to say that he was in a different league to Wenger.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Look what happened to Man Utd when Sir Alex retired.

Although, probably fair to say that he was in a different league to Wenger.

Id have bet if he had gone say a year ago Koeman would have been the favourite and look at the mess he left Everton in having spent good money. The grass isn't always greener but at the same time you can see why a change was needed at Arsenal.
2blue2handle

Postby Sam ReaN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 pm

shame that the fans forced him out the club, instead of leaving Arsenal with his final wish, to grab another Premier League title
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Wolfpac » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Outstanding manager with achievements, simply legendary at Arsenal whether their fickle fans want to think that remains to be seen.

Hope he enjoys his retirement if that's what he is planning, he certainly deserves it
Wolfpac

Postby Bluebina » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

It's going to be a really interesting one, at present they appear to be the complete opposite of us, all the ability and technique in the World, but no backbone, will a new Manager be able to get those players going, or will he say they are not right and I need eleven new players ???

I know he has passed his best and it is time for him to go, but I think in the future we will see what a good job Arsene has done, they haven't been spending enough to buy the title like most of the other teams have bar Leicester, so overall he has done well !!!

Final thought, I know he wouldn't get it but what would Sean Dyce do with a club that size, and could he put a backbone into that team ???
Bluebina

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:shame that the fans forced him out the club, instead of leaving Arsenal with his final wish, to grab another Premier League title

He was never gonna win a Premier league title with players like Cech, Mustafi, Xhaka, Elneny, Iwobi, and Webeck. Considering their fans pay more money than any other team in Europe and they are just 2pts in front of Burnley I don't blame the fans for being annoyed. He's was a great manager for Arsenal in the first decade and did reasonably well when they had to transition into the new stadium but he should have left 3 or 4 years ago.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Sven » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Patrick vireo being heavily linked ;)

Doing a good job at New York City but a huge step up to the Premier League and a negative, overly-expectant and overly-ambitious fan base! :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

It's going to be a really interesting one, at present they appear to be the complete opposite of us, all the ability and technique in the World, but no backbone, will a new Manager be able to get those players going, or will he say they are not right and I need eleven new players ???

I know he has passed his best and it is time for him to go, but I think in the future we will see what a good job Arsene has done, they haven't been spending enough to buy the title like most of the other teams have bar Leicester, so overall he has done well !!!

Final thought, I know he wouldn't get it but what would Sean Dyce do with a club that size, and could he put a backbone into that team ???

I don't think so, I think Dych will become a Big Sam type of manager, nothing wrong with that but I don't see a top 4 club looking for him, if they take a risk it would be Howe.
2blue2handle

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Predicted this a good few months ago, when they signed Henrikh and Pierre the writing was on the wall, I couldn't see them both joining to play under Wenger, this would have been done back end of Christmas I think.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby #1ScouseBluebird » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:17 am

They need to be careful what they wish for, fickle lot the modern gooners. Wengers strength was always spending little, signing up potential (eg henry), and creating incredibly beautiful teams to watch. I think recruitment has been awful at arsenal (bar sanchez) in ladt few tears and hes now paying the price. Scholesy said in an interview yesterday, arsenal need some steel. Remember the defence wenger inherited.....thats what they need. But in this day an age where do you find a vieira, petit and adams/keown/bould/winterburn without spending half a billion? The game at the very top level has changed - in my view not for the better. The premier league was more interesting in the 90s. Maybe is just nostalgia. The money has taken something away though. Hey weve seen this in the championship with wolves and the smokies spending ££££.
#1ScouseBluebird

Return to General Chat