A forum for all things Cardiff City

Forest want to sign him from City / City will want £1.5mill

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:05 pm

The exact situation with Lee Tomlin's Cardiff City future

Forest would like to Sign Lee Tomlin.

Cardiff City paid £1.5mill not want the media said £2.9mill :thumbright:

A bit like Gary Madine, Cardiff paid £2mill not £6mill :thumbright:

Thursday 26th April 2018

The Bluebirds let the mercurial playmaker Lee Tomlin leave in a loan swap with Forest's Jamie Ward on January deadline day and Tomlin has since thrived under Aitor Karanka at the City Ground.

He has scored four times and laid on three insists in a productive spell at Forest, including a Man Of The Match display in a 3-0 win over Barnsley on Tuesday night.

It sparked the news, reported by the Nottingham Post , that the east midlands club would try and sign Tomlin permanently in the upcoming summer transfer window, although the suggestion is Cardiff would ask for recoup of the £1.5million they paid for the 29-year-old last year (a figure which has been wrongly stated as £2.9million in many outlets).

It has also been said Tomlin is keen to return to South Wales, especially if Cardiff are promoted to the Premier League and try his luck in the top flight.

Whether Warnock — expected to shake up his Bluebirds once again squad if promotion is sealed — would include Tomlin as part of his plans remains to be seen.

Karanka, on the other hand, is a vocal and long term admirer of Tomlin after the pair worked together at Middlesbrough.

“I told you since he arrived here that he would have games like Barnsley, when he scored an amazing goal and when he played in the way that he did,” said the Spaniard after Tomlin's display at Barnsley.

“And he will have games where he does not look like the player you are expecting him to be.”

In February, when asked about Tomlin's future, Karanka said: "I don’t know. Because he is a Cardiff player. I have to finish this season. I have spoken with him and he knew that he was going to enjoy his football with me again.

“I know him and how he works and we need to keep our feet on the floor. He is a good player and I like him a lot. But we need to take things step by step.”

The former Bristol City and Bournemouth attacker was acquired as the summer's marquee signing and expected to play a big role in Warnock's Premier League push.

Yet he was restricted to largely cameo appearances under the veteran boss and scored just one goal — a last gasp equaliser at Reading.

But Warnock, when asked about Tomlin last week , refused to be drawn on what the future holds. Tomlin's Bluebirds contract runs until summer 2020.

“He’s done well (at Forest), I speak to Lee quite a lot,” said the City boss. “He’s enjoying it.

“We’ll have a chat at the end of the season, but he needed games."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Forest want to sign him from City / City will want £1.5m

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm

You can pick out a few of his goals and it makes it looks like we made a mistake.

But, in reality, Forest have continued to be inconsistent with him in the team.

I put the few impressive goals being down to Tomlin being close to where he lives. Still of the opinion that we shouldn’t have signed him unless he agreed to live nearby.

As long as we get our money back, I’m happy for him to go. If we go up, I’m certain that will be the case.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:48 pm

I would take anything over 1mill and cut our losses. Hes a waste of space and money
Its a shame as he has the talent to be a very good premier league player

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 pm

I disagree, I think if he played the #10 role behind Zohore consistently with the backing of Someone anchoring like Grujic- I can see Tomlin developing into a priceless asset. He’s never going to be a work horse or a tackler. What he does offer is that spark that can alter a game. I remember when Whitts was in his last years it was like playing with 10 men and he was clumsy in the challenge due to his lack of pace etc. Tomlin is exactly what our team at present is crying for, sad part is Grujic was brought in after he left.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 am

FloridaBluebird wrote:I disagree, I think if he played the #10 role behind Zohore consistently with the backing of Someone anchoring like Grujic- I can see Tomlin developing into a priceless asset. He’s never going to be a work horse or a tackler. What he does offer is that spark that can alter a game. I remember when Whitts was in his last years it was like playing with 10 men and he was clumsy in the challenge due to his lack of pace etc. Tomlin is exactly what our team at present is crying for, sad part is Grujic was brought in after he left.

good post - we knew what he is all about when we bought him. He is among only a few who could hold their own in the Prem - just saying like :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:58 am

BEEP AHM wrote:
FloridaBluebird wrote:I disagree, I think if he played the #10 role behind Zohore consistently with the backing of Someone anchoring like Grujic- I can see Tomlin developing into a priceless asset. He’s never going to be a work horse or a tackler. What he does offer is that spark that can alter a game. I remember when Whitts was in his last years it was like playing with 10 men and he was clumsy in the challenge due to his lack of pace etc. Tomlin is exactly what our team at present is crying for, sad part is Grujic was brought in after he left.

good post - we knew what he is all about when we bought him. He is among only a few who could hold their own in the Prem - just saying like :ayatollah:

Yup, He needs to play with 2 disciplined players behind him.