Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Swansea Tidal Lagoon - Binned

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Plans to build the world's first tidal power lagoon have been thrown out by the UK government.

Ministers said the £1.3bn project was not value for money, despite claims by developers Tidal Lagoon Power (TLP) a revised offer made it cheaper.

The scheme off Swansea Bay also had £200m backing from the Welsh Government and support from the Wales Pension Partnership.

But the UK government said it would not pay TLP the fee it wants for energy.

However, TLP claimed no talks have taken place for more than a year and supporters of the project have vowed to do what they can to make it a reality.

Business and Energy Secretary Greg Clark told the Commons: "Securing our energy needs into the future has to be done seriously and, when much cheaper alternatives exist, no individual project, and no particular technology, can proceed at any price."

First Minister Carwyn Jones tweeted that it was a "crushing blow to Wales".

"The UK government's decision to pull the plug on Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon is short-sighted and demonstrates their complete lack of ambition," he added.

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns said: "I realise the disappointment this decision may cause, but ultimately this project did not meet the threshold for taxpayer value."

There have been a number of calls among Labour MPs for Mr Cairns to go.

Plaid Cymru's energy spokesperson, Liz Saville Roberts MP, said the UK government's "decision demonstrates the need for Wales to gain greater control over its own future".

Welsh Liberal Democrat leader Jane Dodds called the decision a "disgrace", as did Gower Labour MP Tonia Antoniazzi.

The announcement brings an end to 18 months of waiting since an independent review, commissioned by the ministers, recommended building the lagoon.

Greg Clark said the lagoon did not meet "value for money" requirements
The review by former energy minister Charles Hendry said Swansea should be used as a test of the technology, before allowing other developers to bid to construct further schemes as part of a competitive tendering process.

The UK government has been accused of dragging its heels since then, during which time they repeatedly stated the scheme must prove "value for money".

TLP claims the Swansea project would provide power to 155,000 properties in Wales and is cheaper than nuclear power.

The developers had previously asked for a 90-year contract with the UK government with an average strike price - a guaranteed price for the electricity generated - of £89.90 per megawatt hour.

The new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point C in Somerset was given a strike price of £92.50/MWh for 35 years.

Re: O/T Swansea Tidal Lagoon - Binned

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm

It’s a no brainer, clean guaranteed energy, just shows the lack of foresight by this government :roll:

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm

No Virgin
No electrification of railway
No tidal lagoon
No premiership football

8-)

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:50 pm

The only thing Swansea gets is the odd mention in the League Of Gentlemen by Tubbs.

will-heaven-be-like-swansea-yes-tubbs-only-bigger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 pm

LockStockAndBlueSmokingBarrels wrote:It’s a no brainer, clean guaranteed energy, just shows the lack of foresight by this government :roll:

Nothing clean from Swansea

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm

LockStockAndBlueSmokingBarrels wrote:It’s a no brainer, clean guaranteed energy, just shows the lack of foresight by this government :roll:

The strike price was just too high, guarantee if the government had signed up to it you'd have people complaining about that too.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:15 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

The strike price was just too high, guarantee if the government had signed up to it you'd have people complaining about that too.

I know what your saying, but this government had no intention of going through with this project whatever the price.
Someone mentioned to me the Cardiff barrage could be back on the table :shock:

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm

I bet Cardiff Bay would get it. We get everything. :laughing6:

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:39 pm

LockStockAndBlueSmokingBarrels wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

I know what your saying, but this government had no intention of going through with this project whatever the price.
Someone mentioned to me the Cardiff barrage could be back on the table :shock:

What at £billion or so? :o

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:41 pm

I take most of these things with a pinch of salt, just as I do with all the players supposedly on their way to us. I said on this forum that the Circuit of Wales was no more than a fantasy, and had absolutely zero chance of happening. Most of these fantastic ventures are more to line the pockets of businessmen rather than give anything much back to the region. Unfortunately, it's usually the taxpayer who lines their deep pockets, and I am sure in the case of the Circuit of Wales, the company would have declared themselves bankrupt long before it's completion.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 am

Not doubt this will all be Cardiff’s fault down west :lol:

In all seriousness though this government is an absolute joke when it comes to investing in clean energy and actually trying to tackle environmental issues.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 am

phildavies wrote:Not doubt this will all be Cardiff’s fault down west :lol:

In all seriousness though this government is an absolute joke when it comes to investing in clean energy and actually trying to tackle environmental issues.

They are a joke. however I was reading in new scientist only this week that the actual likely power generation for the tidal lagoon was actually very small for the amount presently estimated it would cost to realise it.

If that’s the case - from a non political perspective- then maybe there is something in it when they declined it.

Based on present technology I Personally would like to see more investment in getting us all set up with solar panels and house batteries. Get warehouses and large buildings having them too. then set up more wind turbines, preferably off shore where they can be bigger and thus far more efficient. Also coupled with grid level storage battery storage or home battery storage . Sure these things have drawbacks. Obviously one is we have less sun than some countries. And it may not always be windy. But if we each generate a small amount of energy or use wind to generate some. At grid level it will mean we burn significantly less. That will
Mean cheaper bills for us the punters and Mother Nature will be happier too.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 am

welshrarebit wrote:
phildavies wrote:Not doubt this will all be Cardiff’s fault down west :lol:

They are a joke. however I was reading in new scientist only this week that the actual likely power generation for the tidal lagoon was actually very small for the amount presently estimated it would cost to realise it.

If that’s the case - from a non political perspective- then maybe there is something in it when they declined it.

Based on present technology I Personally would like to see more investment in getting us all set up with solar panels and house batteries. Get warehouses and large buildings having them too. then set up more wind turbines, preferably off shore where they can be bigger and thus far more efficient. Also coupled with grid level storage battery storage or home battery storage . Sure these things have drawbacks. Obviously one is we have less sun than some countries. And it may not always be windy. But if we each generate a small amount of energy or use wind to generate some. At grid level it will mean we burn significantly less. That will
Mean cheaper bills for us the punters and Mother Nature will be happier too.

No problem with sun as panels use photosinphism? So need far less sun than previous panels ok for wind, so lets cover our seas and land with windmills and blavk panels! But if you think we will get cheap energy you are in cloud cookoo land everytime build either it will be cheap electric for communities but its never happened never Will :thumbup:

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am

Great way to have a discussing. Say someone is in cloud cookoo land. Ah well if you can’t be arsed you can stick it.

Ever heard of counter discussion? Obviously not.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am

Great way to have a discussing. Say someone is in cloud cookoo land. Ah well if you can’t be arsed you can stick it.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

salopiancity wrote:I bet Cardiff Bay would get it. We get everything. :laughing6:

Since when dies Cardiff get everything? Been on about getting a modern Transport system for years. Tram system and Metro system linking outskirts of Cardiff to the City Centre. Yet nothing! Cardiff Council and the Assembly are a joke!!

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 am

City1983 wrote:
salopiancity wrote:I bet Cardiff Bay would get it. We get everything. :laughing6:

Since when dies Cardiff get everything? Been on about getting a modern Transport system for years. Tram system and Metro system linking outskirts of Cardiff to the City Centre. Yet nothing! Cardiff Council and the Assembly are a joke!!

Anything that sees the light of day, CARDIFF get.

Or at least that is the opinion down west.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:45 am

welshrarebit wrote:Great way to have a discussing. Say someone is in cloud cookoo land. Ah well if you can’t be arsed you can stick it.

Sorry but you seriously think it will bring cheap power? We already pay a green tax for building them and when did you power bills last went down? Ok maybe not in cloud cuckoo land but a dream world if think it will bring cheap electricity only people getting cheap electric is power companies who do not pass on savings :old:
Is that a sufficient counter argument? :occasion5:

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:36 am

pembroke allan wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:Great way to have a discussing. Say someone is in cloud cookoo land. Ah well if you can’t be arsed you can stick it.

Sorry but you seriously think it will bring cheap power? We already pay a green tax for building them and when did you power bills last went down? Ok maybe not in cloud cuckoo land but a dream world if think it will bring cheap electricity only people getting cheap electric is power companies who do not pass on savings :old:

I agree with you Allan. One thing I think is a cert, and that is whatever energy systems are developed, we will never see reductions in our bills. We will almost certainly see the company directors getting massive increases in their salaries, and the shareholders getting nice juicy dividends. Unfortunately, us ordinary folk will continue to get clobbered just like we always have done.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 am

I think the figures re cost of build and cost of the electric generated can be spun in a multitude of ways.
I've listened with interest to all of the arguments in the media today, both for and agaist, and I cant escape the feeling that this is a massive (for Wales) missed opportunity.
I also heard mention of The Barrage on the media today. But at a cost of £30billion that wont happen.

Am i surprised by all of this? No. What dissapoints me is the lack of any Welsh leadership, in any way shape or form.
Whilst Cardiff bucks the trend and develops into a world class city, the rest of Wales seems to be suffering a massive lack of leadership.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree with you Allan. One thing I think is a cert, and that is whatever energy systems are developed, we will never see reductions in our bills. We will almost certainly see the company directors getting massive increases in their salaries, and the shareholders getting nice juicy dividends. Unfortunately, us ordinary folk will continue to get clobbered just like we always have done.

Agree with you both.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:05 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you both.

If environmental groups had there way we will have millions of windmills and thousands of acres of panels to supply all our power needs (but not in their back yard) and we still wont have cheaper electricity! Same as elec cars can someone tell me how we can power cars without no place to connect them like if live in tenby? :laughing6:

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm

You don’t know energy companies will charge the maximum the market will stand, irrespective of how the energy is produced :lol:
Your living in cloud cuckoo land mate. Or your a student.....which is the same thing.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Jock wrote:

You don’t know energy companies will charge the maximum the market will stand, irrespective of how the energy is produced :lol:
Your living in cloud cuckoo land mate. Or your a student.....which is the same thing.

I said he was living there and got told off for not preducing a constructive argument instead? :laughing6:

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Swansea is a dump and I’m no fan of it or it’s people but I do think that this is totally wrong. The area needs regenerating big style and this would have been a fantastic way of improving the area and bringing in much needed employment. I’d far rather Swansea have a tidal lagoon 50 miles from my house than Anglesey get a new dangerous nuclear power station a couple of hundred miles away.