Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Salford > Aberdeen?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 pm

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/adam-rooney ... -92-190569

Adam Rooney has just swapped the SPL for the 5th tier of English football.

Do you think he has swapped to a league of similar playing quality? Where would SPL teams fit in to the football league do you think?

Re: Salford > Aberdeen?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

I read earlier that moving from Aberdeen to Salford and his wages went up.
Just goes to show what a pittance the Scottish Premiership clubs are paying as wages, Celtic and Rangers apart, of course.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm

4k per week I read. At Salford. Goes to show how far the Scottish leagues have fallen.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:23 am

jimmy_rat wrote:4k per week I read. At Salford. Goes to show how far the Scottish leagues have fallen.

It shows that clubs are getting their houses in order and are not willing to pay over the odds for average players.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 am

Shocking state of affairs that a national league team can poach a player from an SPL team, especially the runners up last season.

It's a bit embarrassing for Scottish Football and shows what motivates players, and it certainly isn't silverware!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:02 am

PtB wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:4k per week I read. At Salford. Goes to show how far the Scottish leagues have fallen.

It shows that clubs are getting their houses in order and are not willing to pay over the odds for average players.

Are there any players in Scotland that aren't average? (Celtic excluded) What it shows is that a team that finished second in the Scottish Premier can't afford to keep players on 4k per week. By all accounts they wanted him to stay and have said the money saved will be used to buy a couple of players. So aren't exactly penny pinching, the fact is they can't compete with south of the border anymore! Let's see how they do Vs Burnley.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 am

The English game is propped up by TV money and when you think the pisspoor BBC pays useless (@#& Gary Linaker more than it pays for rights to SPL you realise there’s simply no money North of the border. Scotland has per capita the best supported league in Europe but that counts for nothing without TV cash.
In terms of levels I’d say Celtic mid to top of EPL , Rangers mid to bottom, Aberdeen Hibs top half of Championship the rest bottom of Championship to bottom Div 2.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 am

Jock wrote:The English game is propped up by TV money and when you think the pisspoor BBC pays useless (@#& Gary Linaker more than it pays for rights to SPL you realise there’s simply no money North of the border. Scotland has per capita the best supported league in Europe but that counts for nothing without TV cash.
In terms of levels I’d say Celtic mid to top of EPL , Rangers mid to bottom, Aberdeen Hibs top half of Championship the rest bottom of Championship to bottom Div 2.

Sorry mate, though your view seems to be typical of your countryman when it comes to the standard compared to the english leagues you are somewhat in denial as are most of your fellow countryman it would seem.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 am

Jock wrote:The English game is propped up by TV money and when you think the pisspoor BBC pays useless (@#& Gary Linaker more than it pays for rights to SPL you realise there’s simply no money North of the border. Scotland has per capita the best supported league in Europe but that counts for nothing without TV cash.

Rangers mid to bottom PL? Considering we're gonna be in a fight to be in that position!!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am

here we go, the whole, apart from celtic all players in Scotland are average......until we sign one and then its, Warnock is the Genius... I take it we signed a average, poor callum Patterson

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:55 am

bluebird04 wrote:here we go, the whole, apart from celtic all players in Scotland are average......until we sign one and then its, Warnock is the Genius... I take it we signed a average, poor callum Patterson

Apologies to our Callum, and to you Sir.

Many people in here saying he's not a premier league player. I'll give him the chance to prove himself first.

There are obviously a few that will cut it, the comment was said tongue in cheek.

Your turn now to name me all the Scottish (based) players that Premier league clubs are all fighting over?!

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:26 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:here we go, the whole, apart from celtic all players in Scotland are average......until we sign one and then its, Warnock is the Genius... I take it we signed a average, poor callum Patterson

Many people in here saying he's not a premier league player. I'll give him the chance to prove himself first.

There are obviously a few that will cut it, the comment was said tongue in cheek.

Your turn now to name me all the Scottish (based) players that Premier league clubs are all fighting over?!

I have seen nothing yet that tells me Patterson is premiership quality if I am being honest

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:

I kinda guessed it was tounge in cheek, I said it in expectation of the usual "Scotland is a pub league" and then the same posters saying that all say "our manager signed a quality player is "so and so"....to be honest I don't see any of our team being premiership quality, but hopefully that wont matter come the end of the season....

Scottish based players, there aren't too many left, the quality ones have all been snapped up by English clubs, but the ones that are still based in Scotland, kieran teirany (Spelling ?) james forrest, calum McGregor, who all play for celtic, urm off the top of my head theres that young kid who plays for hearts, harry cochrane ? and that hibs player john mcginn ? I think theres rumours celtic and Southampton are looking at

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:07 pm

There is very little money up here because of the shocking poor TV deal that was negotiated a few years ago.

The fact that a team like Salford can pay those kind of wages is ludicrous. Players in England are massively massively overpaid. Wages are very overly inflated. I would imagine the sort of wages being played in the championship are higher than most leagues in Europe with the exception of a few leagues.

There are good players up here hence Patterson playing so well last year. McGinn for Hibs is great as well and Swansea are trying to sign one of Aberdeens defenders McKenna for a good few million too.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Aberdeen are actually playing Burnley in Europe next week so we can see then how they compare to a decent prem team over 2 legs.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Sorry mate, though your view seems to be typical of your countryman when it comes to the standard compared to the english leagues you are somewhat in denial as are most of your fellow countryman it would seem.

Quite possibly mate, how much Scottish Football do you watch?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Just goes to show how money has ruined football, rotten from top to bottom,working class game no more

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:19 pm

The spl is of an awful standard seen better games over jubilee park

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:16 pm

stephendavid wrote:The spl is of an awful standard seen better games over jubilee park

Used to be we’d bring good players through, keep them for a couple of years then sell them on to a big English Club, now we’re losing them at 15. The game is full of mediocre journeyman hammer throwers.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Jock wrote:
stephendavid wrote:The spl is of an awful standard seen better games over jubilee park

Used to be we’d bring good players through, keep them for a couple of years then sell them on to a big English Club, now we’re losing them at 15. The game is full of mediocre journeyman hammer throwers.

Spot on jock

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:03 am

Not anymore Steve it’s all b*stard rugby there now I think!

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Not anymore Steve it’s all b*stard rugby there now I think!

Haha true mate good point

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 am

One game doesn't make a season but Aberdeen battered Burnley for spells last night and were unfortunate not take a 1-0 win into the second leg.

I'm pretty sure Burnley fans won't be too disappointed going intot he second leg but it does show you that money isn't everything.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Heard that they did well.

Glad they got a result and I hope they do well next week as well.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm

mr_nellio wrote:Heard that they did well.

Glad they got a result and I hope they do well next week as well.

Good results all round for Scottish sides to be fair. Played 10 and lost 0 this season!

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Well done ti the Scottish teams in europe.

Especially Aberdeen- who played the toughest
Opponent.

Salford are bankrolled by people who have made
Millions £££ by us mugs buying TV sports packages

The money in premier league is obscene

f**k me 65 million for maguire ffs?????