Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

He's had ONE game (My Final Post On Zohore This week)

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 am

I fear my original post on Zohore was a little too thought out and I had to be careful not to attack peoples opinions because everyone has a different one.

But bloody hell. The abuse Zohore is getting for that one game, and suddenly he was never good enough last season either?!

He was everything we needed last season. Forget the "15/20 goals a season striker that we need to get promoted" -Clearly, we didn't need it.

In the season of 16/17, Zohore scored against Huddersfield and got 2 assists - The team who got promoted that season.
In the season of 17/18, Zohore saved our blushes with terrible creativity from the wide players in our opening game of the season, he made a goal all on his own from a fabulous strike at the edge of the box late on to get us all 3 points and FRANKLY kicked off our promotion chase.
He scored 9 goals last season and 5 assists, that doesn't tell the whole story because he offers more than just the goals.

There have always been skeptics out there and on this forum about Zohore but they are mostly shut down week after week because of performances,victory's, and facts.

Say what you want about the midfielders coming into the team this week, and yes we played alot better with them and I admit they are the reason for it. But it's not a coincidence it was the same game Zohore returned too. an UNFIT Zohore may I add who just came back from Injury.

How is it that he has been a catalyst for our attack for 2 seasons now, and suddenly we're in the premier league and before he's even been given a chance you're all writing him off and there's about 6 (now 7) separate posts about how "awful" he was? Give him a chance FFS Even Warnock was pleased with him as was I, we all know Zohore by now, he needs a run of games to start performing ideally. Today was just getting him back, next week will be the real test.

Stop giving him stick after 1 game. Did you know Fraizer Campbell didn't score in his first game for City in the prem, yet he scored 2 against Man City in the second game...THEN he didn't record a SINGLE goal for 10 games after that.

My point is if Zohore had scored 2 today you'd be saying how class he was. It's circumstantial, he might score next week, and then go on a drought similar to Campbell. Or he might step up and start firing like he did in the 16/17 season.

GIVE. HIM. A. CHANCE.
#PettyFans

Re: He's had ONE game (My Final Post On Zohore This week)

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:12 am

I agree. He missed a part of pre season which also doesn’t help.

You could see he was not fully match fit but still managed to cause Newcastle problems. For sure he should have been more clinical but give him a few games and he will be a real threat.

My main concern is that we are unlikely to play a worse side than that Newcastle one this season (based on that performance) and we failed to make any clear cut opportunities.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:24 am

Great OP.
I’ve always had doubts about Zohore but give the guy a bloody chance. People turning already ffs.
God help us in a couple of months on here.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:41 am

Zohore is not the striker to get us 15/20 goals this season but he is the link player than Warnock wants at this particular time.
Totally agree gets give a chance.
By the way what was worse yesterday Zohore heading or Etheridge distribution?
I know who had the most stick!

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 am

I was enthused that he got into a couple of goal scoring positions, should we be surprised he failed to take a chance? Not really as his heading ability is very poor. I thought some of his hold up play was excellent yesterday and has improved enormously since he come into the side. He will cause sides problems this season (with the ball on the floor) with his strength and pace and also I believe score some spectacular goals. But not headers.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 am

I’ve said it before, we are not in the market for a 15/20 goal a season striker, in fact most premiership teams are not, only 6 players in the entire premiership scored more than 15 goals last season ffs.

Zohore is not a poacher, he is there to hold up play to bring in our other players, he is there to frustrate defenders and get goals from mainly set pieces and a few from open play, and thank god we have a manager that understands that.

If he gets 10+ goals this season he will have done well.

For me if we can accommodate Artur and either Camarasa or Ralls sitting in midfield with Hoilette and Murphy out wide, then get Reed playing off and linking up with Zohore we have potential for goals from all 4 attackers.

Give the guy a break and if you think he should be scoring 15 or more goals a season then I’m guessing your used to watching the likes of the Manchester’s, Liverpool’s and Chelsea’s of this league.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 am

theclaw wrote:Zohore is not the striker to get us 15/20 goals this season but he is the link player than Warnock wants at this particular time.

How many promoted sides end up with a striker who gets 15-20 goals in a season? I would guess not many. He caused problems yesterday, held the ball up well, some neat lay offs to a much improved midfield. Yes he should have done better with the 2 headers but we all know he can’t head the ball. Let’s give him a few games to get his sharpness back.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am

To get a 15 20 goal striker in the Premier ship you need to spend 20 million lol

Ronaldo couldn't get 20 goals, in this team. It's not the players it's the system.. The players are good enough to give it a crack but the system is designed to defend first.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 am

theclaw wrote:Zohore is not the striker to get us 15/20 goals this season but he is the link player than Warnock wants at this particular time.

Obviously we would prefer to see better distribution by Etheridge but it is unfair to compare that with Zohore's heading. Etheridge's primary job is to stop goals which he did brilliantly and not to act as an auxiliary midfield player.

Zohore however is a striker whose primary job is to score goals with either feet or head and he failed badly at that.

That said he did a good job with his hold up play and work rate.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:21 am

Make this is a sticky.

Excellent OP.

Some of our fans are nobheads. Entitled to an opinion yes, as am I and that’s my opinion.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 am

Agree give the guy a chance my one concern is as you say he can’t head the ball. Then why launch the ball all the time remember kenny Miller we did the same with him I used to watch him he would pat his chest as if to say give it to me there not up there when they did that he would turn the defender 50% of the time. I think zohore can do the same having said etheridge has improved his kicking no end remember when he first came couldn’t kick his way out of a paper bag my one criticism zohore should have improved his heading

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:17 pm

It’s amazing how people forget the other things Zohore contributes.

How many times did he hold a long ball up,on his own, gained a free kick and made us 70 yards.

What about when he nearly charged down their keeper on the six yard box ?

I agree that his heading is a weakness but he was one of the key reasons why we were so much improved from last week. We have to play with a striker who can hold it up and Zohore did that time and again yesterday.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm

People don't realise how he creates space and chances for other players.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 am

Some excellent points. This player is very undervalued and unappreciated by many and he may well thrive this season.

I totally disagree that only Carlos Fandango from Fray Bentos FC for €270 billion can score 20 plus goals in the premiership. There are certainly young kids playing on street corners who could and it's just a matter of finding them before anyone else .

Where was Gareth Bale brought up ? Madrid or Rio ?

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 am

I can’t believe how much stick Zohore is getting considering it was his first game. In my eyes he had a decent game.

Did he hold the ball up well? - yes
Did he run and run & give 100% - yes
Did he have many chances created for him? - no

His heading ability is not his strongest point but the crosses into the box on Saturday were poor. I would like the ball put to his feet around the box because he has got a decent shot on him. Plenty of crosses low into the box or give him the ball on the edge of the box.

I was definitely calling for a new striker in the transfer window but Zohore deserves his chance and as soon as he gets one goal I can see him get a few more. I believe some fans need to get off the players back as it’s hard enough without some fans already turning on players. Two games into the season & only one game for Zohore. Let’s give them our total support.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Zohore hasn't trained for two weeks and didn't get much time preseason either. It was obvious he wasn't going to be on it.

Bobbankh123 wrote:To get a 15 20 goal striker in the Premier ship you need to spend 20 million lol

Ronaldo couldn't get 20 goals, in this team. It's not the players it's the system.. The players are good enough to give it a crack but the system is designed to defend first.

You would be lucky to get a 10 goal a season striker for that at the moment.

15-20 premier league goals a season is very few players playing for the big clubs, your looking at 50-200m for the elite few.