Players stepping up

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Players stepping up

Postby Lengee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Six games in and NW has had chance to consider which players should form the backbone of his team. Understandably he has tried to give a chance / be loyal to the heroes of our promotion campaign. AND I am not writing off any players but against quick fast players a some look like fish out of water.
For example Morrison's main strength is his aerial ability But it was rarely needed in defence and hardly ever in attack. Against Burnley it may be totally different and should prob play. But he shouldn't be an auto pick! He was poor and like a very large slow rabbit in the headlights whenever Man City attacked Similarly while Hoillet is blessed with technical ability he is not blessed with great pace. Not sure what set up NW had in mind because JH is not going to go past Man City defenders in the wing! Also thought Arter was asked to play out of position and needed to be central.
and Camerassa did not look like a holding midfielder.
Anyway imo
1/Players stepping up Etheridge, Manga (central) After (central) and Reid

2/Players who I THINK could do a good job and should get a run of games Murphy and hopefully Cunningham and Richards. (Cunningham could play centrally so that could also be an option ?).
Also Ralls as there is limited alternatives
Total of 7
3/ Others = mix and match. Horses for courses e.g. Bamba and Morrison will always have a part to play.

(Real pity we didn't get ABRAHAM cos he could have been ideal to partner Reid and hopefully Mendez gets back soon as he offers pace in attack!) :bluebird:

Finally let's not write Zahore off as he has had limited opportunities.
Lengee

Players stepping up

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Players stepping up

Postby piledriver64 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Agree with a lot of that apart from Ralls who is way, way out of his depth as a holding midfield player.

No coincidence that teams are running straight down the middle at us, exposing our CBs.

Also his passing stats from yesterday would make some interesting reading, I can’t remember him making a successful pass !!
piledriver64

Postby Lengee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:52 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Agree with a lot of that apart from Ralls who is way, way out of his depth as a holding midfield player.

No coincidence that teams are running straight down the middle at us, exposing our CBs.

Also his passing stats from yesterday would make some interesting reading, I can’t remember him making a successful pass !!

I dont disagree on yesterday's performance by Ralls! But I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that it was more due to the way the the manager set up the team. Arter and Hoilet wide and Camerassa in a Gunners type role (I think!). As a result none of those players were effective. :thumbup:
Lengee

Postby Lengee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Great effort today. :thumbup: Morrison outstanding. NW better set up. :thumbup:

I still think
1/ the obvious change that is needed is more pace in the defence.
Manga is a better option at centre back (as seen when we went to 3 towards the end).
My back 4 = Richards Manga Morrison and Cunningham.
AND
2/ Bamba and Hoillet should not be auto picks as they have not "stepped up".
We miss NmL and need him back as soon as poss - to offer pace down one wing.
However,Patterson did well upfront. ...I didn't expect him to do so well.
Lengee

Return to General Chat