Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Matthew Brazier: Former City Player (1998 - 2002)

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 am

Hi folks, could you spread this around as much as you can on Facebook or any other social media platforms? Matt is a friend of mine and now needs some serious help. He talks very fondly of his time at your great club. I know any help would be much appreciated by him and his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-to-get-ma ... -treatment

Thanks, and Happy Christmas to all.

Help to get Matthew to Istanbul for treatment

Matthew is 42 and was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Follicular Lymphoma in March 2016. Following aggressive chemotherapy, he was in partial remission later that year.

This year, however, he has been struggling with many associated side-effects of the illness and is at the point where his consultant wants him to have more aggressive chemo.
There is a treatment centre in Istanbul which is becoming world-renowned for offering alternative, and highly successful, therapies.
Dr Slocum at this Institute has said that Matthew needs to start treatment as soon as possible.

As well as travel and hotel expenses, the first treatment will cost €7250, with subsequent treatments every two weeks, each costing €6000.

Matthew will need at least 6 courses of treatment, so that's why our goal is £40,000.

We would be so grateful for any help that anyone is able to give.
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Matthew Brazier Player 1998 - 2002

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am

Get in touch with the Club mate, maybe the supporters club even, we could do a bucket collection at a home game, I am sure everyone will want to help Matt, was a solid pro for us.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:51 am

Can we make this a sticky?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:29 am

stentona wrote:Can we make this a sticky?

Done :thumbright:

My mother suffered from similar, so I can appreciate what Matt and his family are going through :cry:

Remember Matt Brazier as a player for the Bluebirds. He did a decent job for us and I wish him well :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Matthew Brazier: Former City Player (1998 - 2002)

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am

Come on City hold a bucket collection this weekend at the Manchester United sell out game. This could raised quite a bit of money for Matt.

PS. Good luck Matt you can beat it.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. In an attempt to spread the word I’ve posted this on here without his knowledge, - he’s a humble guy who has been very moved by the reaction there has been in eight days since the appeal was launched. If anyone does start collecting cash this weekend, if someone could take control and add it to the gofundme appeal that would be amazing.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I've messaged the club about the appeal. I hope we could arrange buckets before the United game, we would surely raise a few grand from that alone. I remember Matt well. We weren't a great team at the time but I remember he was a rare shining light. I wish him all the best in fighting this horrible disease. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 pm

FAO - Original Poster - Surely the PFA will help out with this.

40k is nothing to them or the club - in fact with crowds of 30k plus this season we should be able to raise a lot of money if we all put in a quid - rather than buying an over priced coffee.

That's what I'll be doing

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Wishing Matt all the very best. I hope there's a collection on Saturday.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:I've messaged the club about the appeal. I hope we could arrange buckets before the United game, we would surely raise a few grand from that alone. I remember Matt well. We weren't a great team at the time but I remember he was a rare shining light. I wish him all the best in fighting this horrible disease. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thanks Jimbo, I spoke to the club myself today who gave me a “charities” contact who I’ve emailed. Hopefully things might happen, fingers crossed.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 pm

The supporters trust already have a bucket collection planned for the Man Utd game for the charity they support.

I'm sure some prominent members of the trust either post or look in on here. Hopefully if they see this they maybe able to help.

They may be willing to split it 50/50 or perhaps be able to arrange something for MB at say the Spurs game, worth asking.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:FAO - Original Poster - Surely the PFA will help out with this.

40k is nothing to them or the club - in fact with crowds of 30k plus this season we should be able to raise a lot of money if we all put in a quid - rather than buying an over priced coffee.

That's a very good point about the PFA, the amount of money floating around in that organisation surely they would stump up part of if not all the cash.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:27 am

RV Casual wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:FAO - Original Poster - Surely the PFA will help out with this.

That's a very good point about the PFA, the amount of money floating around in that organisation surely they would stump up part of if not all the cash.

I don’t want to speak out of turn as my involvement here is my own initiative, but I don’t think there has been any joy from the PFA as yet, although that may well change. Unfortunately the family haven’t got time to wait for something to happen.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 am

RV Casual wrote:The supporters trust already have a bucket collection planned for the Man Utd game for the charity they support.

I'm sure some prominent members of the trust either post or look in on here. Hopefully if they see this they maybe able to help.

They may be willing to split it 50/50 or perhaps be able to arrange something for MB at say the Spurs game, worth asking.

personally I think a separate collection would be the ideal { Spurs game as you said }..

but what would be really nice would be the club/players taking this on and sorting it.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Leamington Pete wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

I don’t want to speak out of turn as my involvement here is my own initiative, but I don’t think there has been any joy from the PFA as yet, although that may well change. Unfortunately the family haven’t got time to wait for something to happen.

If that’s true, it’s an absolute disgrace, the PFA is effectively a players union, if they can’t cough for it after him presumably contributing to them whilst he was playing then it should be highlighted via the press!

Best of luck to him, of course......

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm

londontaffia wrote:
Leamington Pete wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

If that’s true, it’s an absolute disgrace, the PFA is effectively a players union, if they can’t cough for it after him presumably contributing to them whilst he was playing then it should be highlighted via the press!

Best of luck to him, of course......

As I say, no joy from the PFA as yet but that doesn’t mean nothing will happen. It’s all early days and fingers are crossed. Nevertheless it was necessary to get an appeal up and running.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 am

Leamington Pete wrote:Hi folks, could you spread this around as much as you can on Facebook or any other social media platforms? Matt is a friend of mine and now needs some serious help. He talks very fondly of his time at your great club. I know any help would be much appreciated by him and his family.

Matthew is 42 and was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Follicular Lymphoma in March 2016. Following aggressive chemotherapy, he was in partial remission later that year.

This year, however, he has been struggling with many associated side-effects of the illness and is at the point where his consultant wants him to have more aggressive chemo.
There is a treatment centre in Istanbul which is becoming world-renowned for offering alternative, and highly successful, therapies.
Dr Slocum at this Institute has said that Matthew needs to start treatment as soon as possible.

As well as travel and hotel expenses, the first treatment will cost €7250, with subsequent treatments every two weeks, each costing €6000.

Matthew will need at least 6 courses of treatment, so that's why our goal is £40,000.

Thank you.

For now making a donation to the GoFund me is the best way I have dropped you a fiver. I remember Matt he came from Fulham and was a Steve Borley signing.

Have you posted on the other Cardiff boards?

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Leamington Pete wrote:Hi folks, could you spread this around as much as you can on Facebook or any other social media platforms? Matt is a friend of mine and now needs some serious help. He talks very fondly of his time at your great club. I know any help would be much appreciated by him and his family.

Thank you.

For now making a donation to the GoFund me is the best way I have dropped you a fiver. I remember Matt he came from Fulham and was a Steve Borley signing.

Have you posted on the other Cardiff boards?

Thanks for donating Tony. I must emphasise that the appeal was organised by Matt’s family not me. I’m just trying to spread the word. It’s been on a few footie boards now but no other Cardiff ones. Will be trying to sort that today.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:15 pm

First post after reading this sad news. Matt Brazier was a very classy left footer who joined us from Fulham at a time when we were desperately short on quality.

For whatever reason, Alan Cork didn’t rate him ( I never rated Alan Cork) and he left with Kevin Nugent for Leyton Orient. Sad to see this news and will be donating. Gave me some happy memories as a Young Bluebird at the time. Proper Ninian Park player who could’ve played at a higher level under different circumstances - much like Danny Hill.