Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Squad Doppelgängers

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

I have knocked the Trust in the past however being fair last night they put on a great night with a question and answer session with Jason Perry and Andy Legg at the Duke of Clarence.

During the evening it became clear that Jason Perry highly rates Anthony Gerrard and TBH I think he sees a lot of himself in the player.

Just wondered what other former players could you compare with the present squad?

For example I had Leggy as either Chris Burke (on the wing) or Darcy Blake (when playing at the back) and many pundits compare Alexander with Marshall.

Are there any others?

Re: Squad Doppelgängers

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 am

Capaldi & dean gordon

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm

sack wrote:Capaldi & dean gordon

Hahaha, that's so damning! Gavin Rae and Jeff Whitley!

I'd also say Jay Bothroyd is similar to Peter Thorne. I'm dismissing comparisons with Leo Fortune-West!

Kevin McNaughton isn't comparable with anyone because he's so awesome.

I'd also say Aaron Wildig reminds me of Joe Ledley when he first started.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

John Toshack with Jay Bothroyd. We use to call Toshack "Fairy" because he use to float in the air when he went for a header. Jay is similar in the fact he just hangs in the air when a high ball is on its way to him.

Ian Gibson with Chris Burke. To be honest in Gibsons days defenders were alot slower so we use to see alot of him just leaving a full back for dead and getting the cross in. Burke needs to dribble pass his defender more than Gibson had to but when Chris has a chance to show his speed it does remind me of Gibson in the 70s.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I have knocked the Trust in the past however being fair last night they put on a great night with a question and answer session with Jason Perry and Andy Legg at the Duke of Clarence.

During the evening it became clear that Jason Perry highly rates Anthony Gerrard and TBH I think he sees a lot of himself in the player.

Just wondered what other former players could you compare with the present squad?

For example I had Leggy as either Chris Burke (on the wing) or Darcy Blake (when playing at the back) and many pundits compare Alexander with Marshall.

Are there any others?

Funny you should say Perry rates Gerrard. I know from a personal friend in Liverpool that Tommy Smith ex Liverpool defender rates him very highly and was actively encouraging Rafa to take a chance on him back in January due to the fact that Liverpool have little money for your fancy dan players anymore and feels he could pick up some bargains in the lower leagues.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:24 pm

No offence to Gerrard but I think he's way off top four Premiership standard. He might one day be good enough for the Premiership but he's not good enough for any higher than middle Premiership, that includes his potential as well.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Liverpool top 4 :lol:

Only joking, ye agreed he is no way good enough for likes of Liverpool