Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Todays Crowd Was What I Expected

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm

south wales has always been fickle and so have our floating support

we beat the jacks in a fantastic atmosphere yet the crowd drops off , despite there being 1500 (?) reading there

a lot of talk about sam hammam on here

we can all agree or disagree on his good and bad points

but one thing is for certain ...it was exactly the same when he was here ....and the fans didnt back him and the club in big numbers like we all thought they would

great win against leeds in fa cup ......a week later half of them go AWOL

superb day out against QPR at the millenium ........next home game ..our first at this level for 17 years ..and less than 17000 at ninian park

a superb win v swansea with 23000 home tickets sold .....everyone there must have been impressed with the atmosphere

and today we sold less than 19000 home tickets

todays crowd was no surprise at all

we have come a long long way .......

but the only thing that will get us filling that stadium on a regular basis will be top flight football

breaks my heart to be honest

this is not having a go at our loyal fans by the way

Re: Todays Crowd Was What I Expected

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm

feel exactly the same, pisses me off... Swansea game there was a bunch of dicheads stood in front of us acting the c**t, screamin at people to sing but where were they today?? wankers

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:28 pm

[quote="JonnieBlue"Swansea game there was a bunch of dicheads stood in front of us acting the c**t, screamin at people to sing but where were they today?? wankers[/quote]

probably spouting the same at a premierhip ground or more likely wembley :evil:

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:31 pm

fuckin annoyin, standin there tryin to look hard just making twats of themselves.. Best part was they left 5 mins before the end..

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:32 pm

all over the country clubs will get bigger crowds for local derbies

but to see so many people not making the effort today ..after that incredible win.....?

in some ways its not a bad thing ..we know what we have ...a hardcore support of around 18000

so if we dont get promoted , we need to have a budget based on these sort of crowds

I think its not just football down here though ..people seem to like the big events..look at the crap crowds for the rugby sides ....then a few days latter cardiff is packed with 100000 people on the piss and 75000 in the stadium

on the good side.....our crowds are at their highest level for years

juts could be so much better , with better support and the club doing a bit more to market the club and get the kids hooked

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Sludge wrote:south wales has always been fickle and so have our floating support

we beat the jacks in a fantastic atmosphere yet the crowd drops off , despite there being 1500 (?) reading there

but one thing is for certain ...it was exactly the same when he was here ....and the fans didnt back him and the club in big numbers like we all thought they would

superb day out against QPR at the millenium ........next home game ..our first at this level for 17 years ..and less than 17000 at ninian park

a superb win v swansea with 23000 home tickets sold .....everyone there must have been impressed with the atmosphere

but the only thing that will get us filling that stadium on a regular basis will be top flight football

Well put Sludge, perhaps if they had backed Sam like they promised, we wouldnt of been in financial trouble.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:18 pm

i know 8 people that went to the swansea game but didn't go today !

typical south wales

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm

a few weeks into that first new season

cracking wins against forest away

and crowds at home of 15000 against derby , who had recently been a premiership club ? !!!!

the floating fans DEFFO let sam and the club down !!

he must have been thinking ..we had crowds of 17000 against wycombe the year before in a lower league..what am I doing wrong ?..where are they ??

and thats coming from someone who thinks sam was far from perfect

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:25 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:i know 8 people that went to the swansea game but didn't go today !

typical south wales

same old story mozzer

I once made the mistake of getting a ticket through friends for a lad who was dying to go to wembley

I said I would only do that if he promised to come to the first three home games of the next season

did he bollocks

went out of my way to help him out

most of us want to encourage fans to get the city bug and who cares when they start following us ?

but he was typical of so many down here

totally ignore him now if I see him out , wont speak a word to him , got no time for people like that

it really bugs him but bollocks to him

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Sludge,
I know some fans only turn up for the big games but we have to welcome them.

I'd rather a part time city fan than a "never turn up" manc, scouse or cockney supporter.

I know too many people who purport to be a great fans but they've never even been to a live match.

Anyone who picks their city games is ok with me, as long as they are at the end of the queue come the playoff tickets (if we make it)
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:28 am

:ayatollah: sell out cumin up :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 am

Sludge wrote:south wales has always been fickle and so have our floating support

Pardon me for being pedantic Sludge but we sold 19700 gome tickets to day if Reading brought 1500.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 am

Looked more there than what they said, i never counted every head there, but only looked a few hundred seats less than the swansea game to me.

People who only turn up now and again, dont develop the BUG. and its all according who you go with, if its a good bunch of lads up for a bit of a laugh, the the BUG catches you quicker than if you go with a bunch of in out back for casualty types. ;)

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

I was there :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 am

A lot of lads I know just can't afford it every week and have to pick their games.
The jacks game was a holiday fixture as well.

I thought it was a good crowd considering

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 pm

we must remember alot of other clubs have a bigger hardcore support as theyve had relative recent success. And don't come out with the cup final etc, they are one offs and do not help build sustained support.

What i mean is, look at Norwich, Ipswich, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Leeds, Southampton

These are examples of teams who have all had recent top flight experiences, some of them will have generations of fans who had only experienced top flight football (i.e Southampton) and therefore there support base is big.

People must remember where we have come from to reach our crowds of today. I think if you looked at clubs who have come from similar patterns of success to us then our crowds are actually not bad.. not good, but not bad.

I feel that we desperately need top flight football in order to tap into the floating support and make them a part of the hardcore. Then the South Wales public might refer to the team on their doorstep as "we" "our" "us" instead of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona, Inter Milan etc..

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:41 pm

marcpccfc wrote:we must remember alot of other clubs have a bigger hardcore support as theyve had relative recent success. And don't come out with the cup final etc, they are one offs and do not help build sustained support.

What i mean is, look at Norwich, Ipswich, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Leeds, Southampton

These are examples of teams who have all had recent top flight experiences, some of them will have generations of fans who had only experienced top flight football (i.e Southampton) and therefore there support base is big.

People must remember where we have come from to reach our crowds of today. I think if you looked at clubs who have come from similar patterns of success to us then our crowds are actually not bad.. not good, but not bad.

I feel that we desperately need top flight football in order to tap into the floating support and make them a part of the hardcore. Then the South Wales public might refer to the team on their doorstep as "we" "our" "us" instead of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona, Inter Milan etc..

yes and our gates are not a lot less than that lot these days.

amazing to think we are disappointed with a crowd of 21 thousand plus !

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:49 pm

I think most city fans felt let down by that crowd yesterday

if they are being straight

with reagrd to the likes of norwich and west brom etc ...we can only really compare ourselves , support wise to them..if these crowds of around 20000 we are getting remain the same for several years

cardiff citys support has a habit of dropping away quickly

its not long ago we were sometimes gates of less than 10000 in this league

we have along long way to go ......promotion may do it ..but the club also has to take a lead and get itself into the faces of the south wales public

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Sludge wrote:I think most city fans felt let down by that crowd yesterday

if they are being straight

with reagrd to the likes of norwich and west brom etc ...we can only really compare ourselves , support wise to them..if these crowds of around 20000 we are getting remain the same for several years

cardiff citys support has a habit of dropping away quickly

its not long ago we were sometimes gates of less than 10000 in this league

we have along long way to go ......promotion may do it ..but the club also has to take a lead and get itself into the faces of the south wales public

Yes Sludge, but massive progress made.

How many clubs have increased their average gates over the last 10 years from 3/4000 to 21000 ?

Fact is West Brom, Ipswich and Sheff utd, are all only just higher than us at the moment, and that is with tiny away support at the CCS, somehting which will have added a fair bit to the ave. gates of Sheffield and WBA.

I felt we should have got more yesterday, but its not cheap these days. The key will be to shift the extra 5k season tickets in the next couple of months, or we could fall back.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Just because some people don't go to EVERY home game doesn't make them less of a fan than you. It's very expensive to watch every game if you don't buy the season ticket, every fan has different things going on in their life that maybe doesn't allow for them to go every time, kids... work etc etc

We have come a very long way in the space of a few years! I think the only way to bump the crowds would be to get into the Premier league and stay for a couple of season then hopefully the plastic's would switch to their home team and bring their kids up the same way! So many Liverpool fans in Cardiff and it makes me sick!!