Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CONSOLIDATION

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

I have spoken with a few people this morning and have learned that if we do not get promoted this season then the Malaysians are looking to consolidate and not spend millions on players as some fans believe will happen.

They are in fact spending millions to reduce our debts and look to restructure our finances to put the club on a sound footing. Already they have spent £1.1 million and will spend £10 million alone settling the langston debt but there will still be £30 million approximately to deal with, this club has got to stop burying it's head in the sand like it has done over the past few years under the current chairman. it is ok to keep blaming the lack of progress because of previous regimes but at some point a chairman has to take responsibility and this is what the Malaysians are looking to do.

They have forecasted that if we are still a championship club then we will sell around the 12000 mark of seasons tickets.

I know it's not what some of you wanted to hear but it is the way the Malaysians plan to do business, as we have already learned they have started dealing with and settling smaller debts and I welcome this strategy.

It is my opinion that if we do not get promotion then there will be player sales also.

The solicitor on behalf of the HMRC said ' we are plainly trading insolvently ' and the Malaysians have spoken to HMRC and advised them of their plans to settle our Tax bill.

Re: CONSOLIDATION

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:48 pm

I don't think anyone can complain with that method of working.

If we don't go up, we have a squad pretty much capable of challenging again next season with one or two coming in and a few passing them on the way out.

However, the immediate future of the club is paramount and some real business sense is the key to that.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I totaly agree with the Malaysians business mind set. The days of buy now & see what happens later are comming to an end in British football, at least at Championship level anyway, imho.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I have no problem with that sensible approach. Never have. I hope others agree. We don't need to spend millions and if anything we've proved with Jones we can do just as well with bargain buys.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 pm

aslong as we have a club to support then Im happy , as we all know DJ is quite good at getting good players for nowt :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:aslong as we have a club to support then Im happy , as we all know DJ is quite good at getting good players for nowt :ayatollah:

If we don't go up then I doubt Dave Jones will be here next season, unless he is willing to take a pay cut. I am sure the level of his wages would be one of the things TG would be looking at.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm

ihatealiens wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:aslong as we have a club to support then Im happy , as we all know DJ is quite good at getting good players for nowt :ayatollah:

If we don't go up then I doubt Dave Jones will be here next season, unless he is willing to take a pay cut. I am sure the level of his wages would be one of the things TG would be looking at.

Would they be willing to pay him off though? Will be interesting....

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 pm

PtB wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

Would they be willing to pay him off though? Will be interesting....

They may take a close look at him for a short while but don't be too surprised if they put in place their own choice for manager. I am sure they will be seeking good advice on that score they have been very thorough so far. I doubt they would worry too much about paying him off anyway we dont know how long he has left on his contract.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

ihatealiens wrote:

They may take a close look at him for a short while but don't be too surprised if they put in place their own choice for manager. I am sure they will be seeking good advice on that score they have been very thorough so far. I doubt they would worry too much about paying him off anyway we dont know how long he has left on his contract.[/quote]

Wasn't it a rolling one year contract :?:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 pm

ihatealiens wrote:They may take a close look at him for a short while but don't be too surprised if they put in place their own choice for manager. I am sure they will be seeking good advice on that score they have been very thorough so far. I doubt they would worry too much about paying him off anyway we dont know how long he has left on his contract.

It's a rolling contract.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:13 pm

ihatealiens wrote: I doubt they would worry too much about paying him off anyway we dont know how long he has left on his contract.

DJ has a one year rolling contract.

Basically that means we must give him 12 months notice of termination or pay him 12 months wages in compensation if we want rid now or put him on gardening leave for the next 12 months.

BTW it works the other way any club who wish to employ him would have to pay us 12 months wages or the remaining part of his notice.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm

at the end of the day they are business men and wont throw money at a problem.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Then again, what was Jones' remit for this season?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 pm

PtB wrote:Then again, what was Jones' remit for this season?

Probably to get us in the play-offs, we'll soon find out if he has succeeded.

If he does that he can genuinely claim to have maintained a degree of progress and fairness would seem to dictate that he deserves a shot at next season (with a bit of financial stability behind him) even if we don't manage to go up.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm

PtB wrote:Then again, what was Jones' remit for this season?

Play-offs but next year it will be to finish 15th or above in the EPL :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have spoken with a few people this morning and have learned that if we do not get promoted this season then the Malaysians are looking to consolidate and not spend millions on players as some fans believe will happen.

They are in fact spending millions to reduce our debts and look to restructure our finances to put the club on a sound footing. Already they have spent £1.1 million and will spend £10 million alone settling the langston debt but there will still be £30 million approximately to deal with, this club has got to stop burying it's head in the sand like it has done over the past few years under the current chairman. it is ok to keep blaming the lack of progress because of previous regimes but at some point a chairman has to take responsibility and this is what the Malaysians are looking to do.

They have forecasted that if we are still a championship club then we will sell around the 12000 mark of seasons tickets.

I know it's not what some of you wanted to hear but it is the way the Malaysians plan to do business, as we have already learned they have started dealing with and settling smaller debts and I welcome this strategy.

It is my opinion that if we do not get promotion then there will be player sales also.

The solicitor on behalf of the HMRC said ' we are plainly trading insolvently ' and the Malaysians have spoken to HMRC and advised them of their plans to settle our Tax bill.

Carl

This HAS to be the way forward if we don`t get promoted (but we will of course :ayatollah: ).

For too many years , too many people have c*cked up the way the club has been run and gambled with its future.

You have young children (mine are grown up now) and I am sure that you would prefer them to have a club to support in years to come over a short term gamble of trying to buy our way to success , as much as we as fans would love to see some instant glory on the pitch.

The advantage any new investor will have is that all that past waste doesn`t have to be repeated in the future , which will save the club literally millions each season. Coupled with a decent marketing and commercial system (which again has been sadly lacking in recent years) , this should ensure that we have a financially viable club capable of challenging in the top half of the table each season if we stay at Championship level for a time.

Player changes in the Summer are inevitable. If we go up , we have to be realistic and admit that very few of the current squad will be good enough to play at a higher level ( a bit hard on them for all their efforts this season , but its true). If we don`t get promoted , then the more expensive players (Chopra etc) and fringe players taking very good salaries for not contributing much will be shipped out and can be replaced by cheaper , equally good players at lower cost. With Chopra , I mean that his salary cost would fund 2 or 3 very good players in key positions and he would also generate a transfer fee.

Keith

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

since62 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I have spoken with a few people this morning and have learned that if we do not get promoted this season then the Malaysians are looking to consolidate and not spend millions on players as some fans believe will happen.

Carl

This HAS to be the way forward if we don`t get promoted (but we will of course :ayatollah: ).

For too many years , too many people have c*cked up the way the club has been run and gambled with its future.

You have young children (mine are grown up now) and I am sure that you would prefer them to have a club to support in years to come over a short term gamble of trying to buy our way to success , as much as we as fans would love to see some instant glory on the pitch.

The advantage any new investor will have is that all that past waste doesn`t have to be repeated in the future , which will save the club literally millions each season. Coupled with a decent marketing and commercial system (which again has been sadly lacking in recent years) , this should ensure that we have a financially viable club capable of challenging in the top half of the table each season if we stay at Championship level for a time.

Player changes in the Summer are inevitable. If we go up , we have to be realistic and admit that very few of the current squad will be good enough to play at a higher level ( a bit hard on them for all their efforts this season , but its true). If we don`t get promoted , then the more expensive players (Chopra etc) and fringe players taking very good salaries for not contributing much will be shipped out and can be replaced by cheaper , equally good players at lower cost. With Chopra , I mean that his salary cost would fund 2 or 3 very good players in key positions and he would also generate a transfer fee.

Keith

I don't think anyone really disagrees with any of this, however I wonder how long before I and many others start to bemoan we haven't got a Chopra, McCormack or Bothroyd when the goals dry up?

Whether we like it or not this weeks sensible fan is next weeks fickle one.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:52 pm

This approach is the only way forward not just for us but for all clubs who don't have a Sheikh or an Abramovitch. Football as a whole needs a reality check and personally, I'm very happy if we get sensible owners who won't gamble with our club.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:02 pm

ok but they need to buy in first and soon..... none of this forward planning, actions we need actions.. only 21 days to go :!: :!:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 pm

No disappointment whatsoever with that news - we need to ensure that there are proper businessmen running the club on aproper business footing.

I would be a little worried if they did start to splash the cash arroung if we don't go up. Been there, done that got the T-shirt.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Sounds about right.

There is going to be some carefully watching eyes on these guys though come next season. Espacially if somelike selling Matthews for £5m without getting a replacement in.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm

It might mean a few seasons finishing mid table Championship.... as long as people understand that

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Totally agree with this plan, but let's not forget the championship is a very competitive league and championship players don't come cheap. It's a fine line between a team full of taiwos and commingues to a team that can actually cut the grade ..

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Carl, That is exactly what I have been told and they really hope the Cardiff Fans will be patient with them, as they are inheriting the Biggest mess that Cardiff City has had in its history,including a £40 Million Debt(including Sams £10 Million). Cheers Ridsdale not only did you run up a £30 Million Debt in 3 years you also Sold Over £25 Million of Sams players. So really you ran a £55 Million Debt up. :evil:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:43 pm

I think there plan totally makes sence, sort out all the old debt, current debt etc first before we go investing further in players then find out in the long run that we cannot pay the sqaud etc.
Its nice to hear they have a plan that makes sence and they see that simply spending money on the team wont ensure a future for our club but from their plan it looks like we will have a future!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

OrlandoBlue wrote:I think there plan totally makes sence, sort out all the old debt, current debt etc first before we go investing further in players then find out in the long run that we cannot pay the sqaud etc.
Its nice to hear they have a plan that makes sence and they see that simply spending money on the team wont ensure a future for our club but from their plan it looks like we will have a future!

Hi Vicky, How is everybody and Sunny Orlando.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Ridsdale should have been doing this as soon as Sam left, obviously the debt would go up building a stadium but it should have been limited and we should have been at least breaking even.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Ridsdale should have been doing this as soon as Sam left, obviously the debt would go up building a stadium but it should have been limited and we should have been at least breaking even.

According to The Riddler the money was all in place for the New Stadium, thats why he had the go ahead. MOst of this Debt is nothing to do with the Stadium, he just spends money like water.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm

My understanding was that the money had to be in an account and we had a set fee for the stadium that could not be changed....then it changed? :twisted:

The wage bill is just crazy

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
OrlandoBlue wrote:I think there plan totally makes sence, sort out all the old debt, current debt etc first before we go investing further in players then find out in the long run that we cannot pay the sqaud etc.

Hi Vicky, How is everybody and Sunny Orlando.

Hey Annis -

All good here, in work ;) today not so sunny :( but hey in the office anyway and warm at least - around 78 or so....
Hows was Spain? and is Tillys cough any better?

Me xx