Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ONE OF MY PET HATES

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

I sound a bit like Victor Meldrew now, but I hate it when people say "i gave it 110%" or we'll need 120% effort for this game"
How can anyone give more than 100%, that is the maximum anyone can give or do, that's why it's called 100%.

Where does it stop, people giving 200 or a thousand %, for f**k sake let's keep it real, 100% is more than ample to describe maximum effort, you can't give more than your maximum.I don't bloody believe it.

Re: ONE OF MY PET HATES

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

BigGwynram wrote:I sound a bit like Victor Meldrew now, but I hate it when people say "i gave it 110%" or we'll need 120% effort for this game"
How can anyone give more than 100%, that is the maximum anyone can give or do, that's why it's called 100%.

Where does it stop, people giving 200 or a thousand %, for f**k sake let's keep it real, 100% is more than ample to describe maximum effort, you can't give more than your maximum.I don't bloody believe it.

agree with you 110% gwyn :D :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:02 pm

It's mad ain't it, 110% is now part of our everyday language, and there's no such thing.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:04 pm

for years it's been part of our vocabulary, I enjoyed watching Peter Kay when he first came onto the scene cause he would talk about such things.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:20 pm

It is possible... If I have a sales target of 100 items and I actually sell 110 items, then I have achieved 110% of my target

Or if Ninian Park fits 20,000 and they actually let in 24,000 (Leeds Utd FA Cup), then it is 120% full

:ayatollah:
Last edited by Hiya mate! Alright? on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm

mt pet hate is,, do you know ,when im down the city,ibuy a clarkes pie, as carefull as i am ,i get it down my shirt,,,, pisses me off :ayatollah: :lol:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

ninianblue wrote:mt pet hate is,, do you know ,when im down the city,ibuy a clarkes pie, as carefull as i am ,i get it down my shirt,,,, pisses me off :ayatollah: :lol:

half time pies piss me off beyond!!!

do you peel pastry away with fingers and eat ??
flip it over and destroy it from the bottom with a fork ???
dig it out from top with a fork??

i never know i always buy one burn my mouth on the bastards things, and chuck half away :twisted: :lol:

did anyone eat a pie at chelsea, f**k me my mouth is still burnt, needed skin grafts :lol:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

ninianblue wrote:mt pet hate is,, do you know ,when im down the city,ibuy a clarkes pie, as carefull as i am ,i get it down my shirt,,,, pisses me off :ayatollah: :lol:

I've given up on pies at the new stadium, if you buy one on the way in, it will be at least 15 mins into the second half before its cool enough to eat :evil:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:34 pm

BigGwynram wrote:I sound a bit like Victor Meldrew now, but I hate it when people say "i gave it 110%" or we'll need 120% effort for this game"

Agree completely Gwyn, I can't remember which footballer said it but '100 million percent' was mentioned :lol:

Also I discovered recently in the ingredients listings on a pepperami I bought it listed meat as 150%, and it wasn't an advertising slogan, it was in the small print on the breakdown of ingredients! :evil:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:46 pm

milly44 wrote:

half time pies piss me off beyond!!!

do you peel pastry away with fingers and eat ??
flip it over and destroy it from the bottom with a fork ???
dig it out from top with a fork??

i never know i always buy one burn my mouth on the bastards things, and chuck half away :twisted: :lol:

did anyone eat a pie at chelsea, f**k me my mouth is still burnt, needed skin grafts :lol:

fork,, us hard boys dont use a fork, because, those platic thongs snap off , and you cant find the bugger , but you know its in your pie :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:50 pm

i still got a rough toungue since the scunthorpe game :D those clarkies have been f*cking nuked :twisted:

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 am

thank god! someone who agrees, i bloody hate it. and another is "24-7" another bloody american'ism, stop now!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:

I've given up on pies at the new stadium, if you buy one on the way in, it will be at least 15 mins into the second half before its cool enough to eat :evil:

I had to laugh, first time I went to buy a pie at the New ground goes something like this:

"can I have a Balti Pie ,please?"
woman - "Sorry we don't sell Balti pies"
me - "But you have a poster behind saying you do, so can I have one please?"
woman - "No we don't sell them"
me - "so why have you got that poster up?"
woman - "oh we sell Curry pies"

As if aye

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 am

rob wrote:
thank god! someone who agrees, i bloody hate it. and another is "24-7" another bloody american'ism, stop now!

I bet you really hate "25 - 7" then. It's used in the same context as Gwynne's 110%.

I've heard it said and I nearly puked.