Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just to Clarify

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

IF and it is a big IF, Cardiff City were put into administration then any points deduction would be next season and not this season as the league changed the rules 2 years ago after Leeds Utd put themselves into admin on the last day of the season to avoid a deduction the following season, but to avoid that happening again the league changed the rules so that if a club goes into administration after March 26th the points deduction takes place the folowing season, so it cannot disrupte a club in the play offs.

Also this may just be a side issue because if we go in front of the judge on May 5th and do not or have not settled the tax bill we will be liquidated not put into administration so a points deduction would not be an issue.

But could the club call in administrators prior to the hearing and avoid liquidation ?

Re: Just to Clarify

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

That's not quite correct.

The points deduction will only take place for the start of the following season if it will have no bearing on the current season. It's at the discretion of the Football League.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:04 pm

NJ73 wrote:That's not quite correct.

The points deduction will only take place for the start of the following season if it will have no bearing on the current season. It's at the discretion of the Football League.

stand corrected :thumbup:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:09 pm

so would that mean if City win on Saturday and the jacks drew or lost and then we entered administration we would still make the play offs by goal difference or 1 point ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Just beat me to it!!!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 pm

carlccfc wrote:so would that mean if City win on Saturday and the jacks drew or lost and then we entered administration we would still make the play offs by goal difference or 1 point ?

It would mean that the club would start next season on -10 points as it would have no bearing on this season.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:11 pm

If we dont pay up theres no way this club would get in the premiership.
dont worry about that.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Why did Portsmouth have a nine point deduction instead of ten ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

carlccfc wrote:Why did Portsmouth have a nine point deduction instead of ten ?

Because there are fewer games in the Premiership. 9 points from a 38 game season is the same (pretty much) as 10 points from a 46 game season.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

NJ73 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:so would that mean if City win on Saturday and the jacks drew or lost and then we entered administration we would still make the play offs by goal difference or 1 point ?

It would mean that the club would start next season on -10 points as it would have no bearing on this season.

It would most definately have a bearing on this season though as it determines our position within the play offs therefore who you play ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

It would most definately have a bearing on this season though as it determines our position within the play offs therefore who you play ?

I don't think the league will consider that a big enough bearing to be honest, although it's unprecedented so only they could answer that . I think they'd consider the bigger punishment to be 10 points off for next season.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm

It's interesting.

If they deduct more than 10 points to ensure we don't make the play offs would they deduct more than 10 points off Palace to ensure they're relegated?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Claude Blue wrote:It's interesting.

If they deduct more than 10 points to ensure we don't make the play offs would they deduct more than 10 points off Palace to ensure they're relegated?

I believe Claude they only deduct more than 10 points if a club do not enter administration correctly

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Yes, I believe that to be the case as well.

Just pondering that they may view us as deliberatly avoiding administration at previous court hearings and continuing to trade without appropriate funds, thus deducting more points.

I can see the clamour from Blackpool or Swansea.

Let's just hope this bloody tax bill is paid.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 pm

i understand its a very interesting debate, but what are honestly the chances of us going into admin..... i know its alot of ifs,buts and maybes but surley the mallasians have invested to much time and money in us now for this to happen...and lets be honest for a club on an 11 match unbeaten run and sitting 4th in the table and with an excellent chance of progressing through the play offs this cant and wont happen,not even to cardiff.. it would be the mother of all f**k ups if it did..... wheres blazzing when u need him lol.... :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 pm

After 40 odd years of watching this club I wouldn't be surprised at anything that befalls us!!!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 pm

I cant see TG standing by and not paying the tax bill - its SURELY in his interests to get this sorted ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:11 pm

In that case it would not effect us so therefore once again would be next season. However maybe finishing 6th instead of 4th would actually be an effect so maybe it might be this season after all.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 am

surely going into admin is a CCFC board decision and not just down to the say so of a deluded chairman ? :ayatollah: