Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MATCH THREAD : CARDIFF CITY V HULL CITY ' LATEST NEWS '

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:28 pm

' UPDATED DAILY ' :thumbup:

Updated Friday 21st February :ayatollah:

" CARDIFF CITY " :thumbup:

Team news, the Ole will be without influential midfielder Gary Medel with a thigh injury while Mark Hudson will miss the rest of the season with a hamstring issue.

:ayatollah: There was better news for Peter Whittingham and Jordon Mutch however, with both set to be back in training ahead of Saturday’s game. :ayatollah: :thumbup:

Kenwyne Jones and Fraizer Campbel will lead Cardiff City's attack. :ayatollah:

Mark Hudson is ruled out for the season.

Jordon Mutch and Gary Medel could be missing due to injury but Medel is back training in the gym.

Relegation-threatened Cardiff City are likely to be without midfielder Gary Medel for several weeks.

The Chilean international has posted a picture of himself on social media having a scan confirming a thigh tear.

"He'll probably be out for a few weeks, but it's the first time he's got that injury," said Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

“Injuries are part of the game and we've got players to come in”

"Hopefully he's a quick healer but we just want him back as quickly as possible."

Cardiff are second from bottom of the Premier League and host Hull City on Saturday.

The influential Medel suffered the injury in the Bluebirds' home 2-1 FA Cup defeat by Wigan at the weekend, leaving the clash at the break.

Medel has played 26 games for the Welsh club since joining them for £11m from Sevilla in August, 2013.

"Injuries are part of the game and we've got players to come in," Solskjaer added.

"Peter Whittingham has been injured since the Swansea game, so he'll be fit again. At least that balances the books a little bit."

Updated 21/02/2014.

" HULL CITY "

Hull City boss Steve Bruce could be boosted by the return of defenders James Chester and Liam Rosenior for Saturday's trip to South Wales.

Chester has been out for a month with a hamstring injury and full-back Rosenior (thigh) has missed the last two matches, but both are back in contention.

Striker Sone Aluko could also play a part having managed 90 minutes in Monday's FA Cup draw at Brighton, but Robbie Brady (groin) and Paul McShane (ankle) are long-term absentees

Hull City have their own injury concerns. Bruce is set to be without defender Paul McShane and winger Robbie Brady. But Nikica Jelavic and Shane Long should return to the side after missing the Tigers’ FA Cup draw at Brighton on Monday.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor will also return to Premier League action following his suspension after being red-carded in his side’s defeat at Crystal Palace last month.

The return of McGregor sees an interesting match-up as he comes up against his biggest rival for the Scotland international shirt, Bluebirds shot-stopper David Marshal

Hull will have to improve on Monday night's performance for Saturday's big game in Wales....

Allan McGregor knows that Hull are capable of far better displays than the one shown at Brighton in the FA Cup and says improvements will be needed for Saturday’s Barclays Premier League trip to Cardiff City.

A late Yannick Sagbo goal rescued the Tigers’ FA Cup hopes on Monday night to set up a replay against the Championship side, but before that re-match comes a key league fixture at the Cardiff City Stadium.

“Cardiff is a massive game,” said McGregor.

“Especially so after the last few weeks when everybody down at that end seems to be picking up points. It’s a massive game for us.

“I think we’ll have to play better than we did against Brighton. We were better in the last 15 or 20 minutes of that game with better movement up front and playing the ball in to feet to get into better positions.

“But I thought we could have played a lot better. We kept the ball in the first half but were just going from side to side and apart from the two efforts against the bar, we didn’t really have a shot on target.

“We were a wee bit better in the second half and played higher up the field and Matty Fryatt coming on caused them problems with his movement.

“We managed to score a great goal with a great ball in from Sone, a great first touch from Yannick and then the finish.”

Cardiff City v Hull City

Possible City side:-

Possible Hull side:-
I do think that Aluko has a good chance of returning in the league for Hull.

Last 5 meetings:-
01 Oct 2011----Hull City 2-1 Cardiff City----League Championship
13 Mar 2012----Cardiff City 0-3 Hull City----League Championship
10 Nov 2012----Cardiff City 2-1 Hull City----League Championship
04 May 2013----Hull City 2-2 Cardiff City----League Championship
14 Sep 2013----Hull City 1-1 Cardiff City----Premier League

Fact:-
The biggest win in this fixture was a 6-0 Cardiff win at Ninian Park, on November 1st, 1969.

Prediction:-
Cardiff City 2-0 Hull City.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ole:

Re: LATEST NEWS : Cardiff City v Hull City Match Thread

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 am

Hull could gain control of the midfield area fairly rapidly in this one. Asking the Norwegian contingent to play at a PL standard for 12 games is asking a lot of them so early into their development. Eikrem could cope with this better due to his age.

Cowie hasn't played for a while, although he never lets anyone down. Fabio is a liability waiting to happen. John is too inexperienced.

Huge gamble not signing anyone ready to play the 12 proverbial cup-finals except for Cala. Wigan coped o.k with Dælli & Eikrem, but in their defence, it was not the first team out there. Sorry if this is negative but its my thoughts. The only thing in our favour is home advantage for this one. Dælli showed what a class player he will become, but the standard of football will be raised to a plateau he is not ready for on the weekend.

I think we will lose with that team or share the points, and if im wrong I will be delighted and will keep my opinions to myself for at least 2 weeks, i'll stop using the forum at work on a two week self-imposed ban :laughing6:

I was more confident a week-ago, but changed my mind

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am

I think ole may be a bit more defensive for this one . Eikram and dahlei will get bullied by huddlestone , Livermore and Meyler .
Of all the games we needed medel it was this one .

---------------------Marshall-------------------

Mcnaughton ---caulker----cala -------John

-----------whittingham---gunnarsson-------

-------noone---------kimbo---------zaha

--------------------Campbell------------------

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think ole may be a bit more defensive for this one . Eikram and dahlei will get bullied by huddlestone , Livermore and Meyler .
Of all the games we needed medel it was this one .

---------------------Marshall-------------------

Mcnaughton ---caulker----cala -------John

-----------whittingham---gunnarsson-------

-------noone---------kimbo---------zaha

--------------------Campbell------------------

Marshall
KTC
Turner
Caulker
Fabio
Eikrem
Cala
Gunnarsson
Daehli
Noone
Campbell

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Attack, attack, attack, then we can slag ole for being to attacking. My money is on Cowie being scapegoat for the day.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 pm

0-2

:(

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Will Mutch and Medel go out next week wherever the squad are jetting off too?

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 am

Solskjaer’s cause will not be helped tomorrow by some absent faces. The Bluebirds will be without Crag Bellamy as he serves the last of the three-game suspension handed to him retrospectively for throwing an arm at Swansea City’s Jonathan de Guzman in the recent South Wales derby.

Midfield marauder Gary Medel is out with a hamstring injury, but Andrew Taylor should be fit to start after coming through the Bluebirds’ FA Cup defeat at the hands of Wigan last weekend. The left-back has had surgery on a calf problem.

Solskjaer will be hoping desperately that influential midfielder Jordon Mutch is fit to face the Tigers. Mutch limped off during the Bluebirds last league outing against Aston Villa with a tight hamstring, but he could be ready to make a return tomorrow.

The Tigers have their own injury concerns. Bruce is set to be without defender Paul McShane and winger Robbie Brady. But Nikica Jelavic and Shane Long should return to the side after missing the Tigers’ FA Cup draw at Brighton on Monday.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor will also return to Premier League action following his suspension after being red-carded in his side’s defeat at Crystal Palace last month.

The return of McGregor sees an interesting match-up as he comes up against his biggest rival for the Scotland international shirt, Bluebirds shot-stopper David Marshall.

Both men were called up this week for their nation’s friendly in Poland next month. It would be fair to say McGregor has held the upper-hand when it comes to the international scene north of the border. Aged 32, four years older than his rival, McGregor has 31 caps whilst Marshall has a more modest 10.

Re: UPDATED LATEST NEWS : Cardiff City v Hull City Match Thr

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Cardiff v Hull City preview
Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer suffered a heavy blow this week with the news that Gary Medel is out of action for several weeks.

The influential Chilean international sustained a thigh injury during their FA Cup defeat to Wigan last weekend.

Fellow midfielder Jordan Mutch is also sidelined with a hamstring problem, while captain Mark Hudson is set to make his comeback to the first team after recovering from a hamstring injury.

Meanwhile, Hull City boss Steve Bruce could be boosted by the return of defenders James Chester and Liam Rosenior for Saturday's trip to South Wales.

Chester has been out for a month with a hamstring injury and full-back Rosenior (thigh) has missed the last two matches, but both are back in contention.

Striker Sone Aluko could also play a part having managed 90 minutes in Monday's FA Cup draw at Brighton, but Robbie Brady (groin) and Paul McShane (ankle) are long-term absentees

Re: MATCH THREAD : CARDIFF CITY V HULL CITY ' LATEST NEWS '

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:36 am

Hooray, time to feel nervous again until the end of the game :P

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Starting XI: Marshall, Taylor, Caulker (C), Cala, Fabio; Zaha, Cowie, Eikrem, Noone; Campbell, Jones.

Bench: Turner, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Dæhli, Lewis, Berget, John

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Lets hope these players stepping in can do the job. Massive 3 points today!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:17 pm

playing well so far

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

spoke to soon

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm

f**k

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:21 pm

2 shots on target before hull could get in and we fell apart already. I'm fuming, why can't our forwards finish?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Who the f**k gave the ball away in the first place? Tw@t

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Campbell's passing is crap

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:27 pm

We are crap. Let's face it now, the trap door awaits. And I'm normally an optimist :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Eikrem's mistake led to the goal, sad to say, as except that he has been very good.

And west ham go 2-1 up too, I hate them so much.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:28 pm

we should of gone for Huddlestone in the summer

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Game over! Thats relegation for us then!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:31 pm

i can't see us scoring

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:31 pm

We couldn't score in a brothel.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

fulham winning too

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm

And fulham one up at west brom! But its not over yet.I said last week that its the final third! We just seem unable to finish off chances.sunderland two down now.cala looks class.c'mon city! Eikrem apart from that pass,has looked good too.we have played well up to now.we can still win this!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm

If it wasnt forbad luck we wouldnt have any. A deflected goal and City unable to finish some of the chances we're making.Bad enough losing but could do without the comments of Barry Horne. Poor player for Wales and undoubtedly THE most boring commentator and voice EVER.
Bluebirds :thumbup:

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Eikrem playing well

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Whatever the score ends up today, we've played great football today. It's incredible that Hull are winning.