Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Wales No1 Club......

Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:You know your desperate when you try to use number of twitter followers, rather than game attendances, to try and say you have more fans... :lol: :lol:

DUH!! are you serious?? this its the 21st century get out of your bubble its NOT 1927 anymore ;)

and I didn't say twitter is said facebook but that typical of you misread what someone has said :laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 am

Am I the only Cardiff or Swansea fan who couldn't give a hoot about who is the biggest club in Wales?

I asked my missus's mum a few weeks ago who the biggest club in Wales was in her mind, she has no affiliation to football and her family are not football fans, she just has a passing interest. Her answer was Swansea. Why? Because they have been in the Premier league for three seasons now and we couldn't last one. To the neutral/casual fan they are bigger than us by virtue of being in the premier league. Are they a bigger club than us in reality? Well it depends on how you measure what a big club is because if it's fanbase then I am pretty sure we have more fans.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:05 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Barry. Lets be sensible now.

being totally sensible.

You know as well as everyone that going on championship attendances before we won the carling cup, got to Europes last 32 and finished 3 times back to back in the Prem with star names on our team sheet is a bit futile isnt it.

of course, but Cardiff fan base will have grown too... Which you aren't taking into account. What I cannot fathom, is with all these wonderful things happening... Why couldn't you sell out any of your European games and even had to give away blocks of tickets? Where was this massive following then?!

You are a good poster when you are honest and sensible.

as are you.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:06 am

Gowerjack wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:You know your desperate when you try to use number of twitter followers, rather than game attendances, to try and say you have more fans... :lol: :lol:

DUH!! are you serious?? this its the 21st century get out of your bubble its NOT 1927 anymore ;)

and I didn't say twitter is said facebook but that typical of you misread what someone has said :laughing6: :laughing6:

You also said social media. Is twitter not that then?! :D

Sat May 17, 2014 10:08 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Barry. Lets be sensible now.

being totally sensible.

You know as well as everyone that going on championship attendances before we won the carling cup, got to Europes last 32 and finished 3 times back to back in the Prem with star names on our team sheet is a bit futile isnt it.

of course, but Cardiff fan base will have grown too... Which you aren't taking into account. What I cannot fathom, is with all these wonderful things happening... Why couldn't you sell out any of your European games and even had to give away blocks of tickets? Where was this massive following then?!

You are a good poster when you are honest and sensible.

as are you.

So you think we would average 25,000-26,000 as you agreed with me a few weeks ago with a bigger stadium.

Are you suggesting you will get more than that next year?

As for the European games, we have no idea how many season ticket holders showed up. Europe wasnt really a priority, all attendances were down in Europe for english clubs.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:11 am

You would get 25k for certain games... But as SwanseaLad said this season, you weren't selling out the less glamorous league ties... So for some games I'd say your still get 19k like currently. If you aren't selling out for Palace at home (an example) with a 20k stadium, you won't with a 25k stadium either.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:12 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Gowerjack wrote:

You also said social media. Is twitter not that then?! :D

i didn't use it as the example i stated :lol:

Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am

Gowerjack wrote:i didn't use it as the example i stated :lol:

You said social media... Is twitter social media? :laughing6:

Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:You would get 25k for certain games... But as SwanseaLad said this season, you weren't selling out the less glamorous league ties... So for some games I'd say your still get 19k like currently. If you aren't selling out for Palace at home (an example) with a 20k stadium, you won't with a 25k stadium either.

I dont think we have ever had 19,000 for a prem game. We have only had single tickets available this year. This is an issue had even by the likes of Man United. There arent many people wanting to fo to the football on their own.

If we agree attendances grow due to success then the fact we have had considerable more success than you in the last 5 years suggests looking back to the period before our succes to gague how many fams each has now is a bit pointless.

I think you will struggle to get 20,000 next year which will be your fanbase. It wont increase until you get a period of success which many never come.

If that is the case then i think its safe to say we have the bigger fanbase unless you are of the belief that we just so happen to coincidentially have pretty much the exact number of seats as people that want them.
Last edited by Roath_Magic_ on Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Gowerjack wrote:i didn't use it as the example i stated :lol:

You said social media... Is twitter social media? :laughing6:

use any social media you like but the numbers are the same but now you edge away from the facts with pointless asides

you cant hide from the truth :thumbup:

Sat May 17, 2014 10:18 am

Gowerjack wrote:use any social media you like but the numbers are the same but now you edge away from the facts with pointless asides

you cant hide from the truth :thumbup:

Glad you can admit you were wrong. :laughing6:

There's no truth here. Using twitter/social media followers as a count for supporters, is desperate & extremely unreliable. I know many people that follow lots of football teams on social media - I do myself. Doesn't mean I support them. :wave:

Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 am

This whole bigger crowds argument is pretty futile to be honest. Cardiff attendances were very similar to Swanseas in the lower leagues. A little bit more butt you'd expect the capital city to pull bigger crowds.

Cardiff shot up a couple of divisions quite quickly and the attendances sky rocketed as a result, Swansea have been playing catch up but have now surpassed CCFC's achievements on the field.

Now that both clubs are on similar level you could take crowds into account but Swansea have been hampered by a smaller stadium over the last few years and I'm sure the figures would be a lot closer with comparable sized stadiums (as much as a lot on here wouldn't like to admit it).

There is no doubt that Cardiff has the bigger catchment area but Swansea do potentially have a large area themselves (anywhere west of Port Talbot maybe?).

In fact, premier league football is a massive draw for new, young fans and a few seasons of sustained top flight football might see the Jacks pulling in kids that may have previously turned to the scousers or mancs...

Sat May 17, 2014 11:03 am

thevoiceofreason wrote:This whole bigger crowds argument is pretty futile to be honest. Cardiff attendances were very similar to Swanseas in the lower leagues. A little bit more butt you'd expect the capital city to pull bigger crowds.

Cardiff shot up a couple of divisions quite quickly and the attendances sky rocketed as a result, Swansea have been playing catch up but have now surpassed CCFC's achievements on the field.

Now that both clubs are on similar level you could take crowds into account but Swansea have been hampered by a smaller stadium over the last few years and I'm sure the figures would be a lot closer with comparable sized stadiums (as much as a lot on here wouldn't like to admit it).

There is no doubt that Cardiff has the bigger catchment area but Swansea do potentially have a large area themselves (anywhere west of Port Talbot maybe?).

In fact, premier league football is a massive draw for new, young fans and a few seasons of sustained top flight football might see the Jacks pulling in kids that may have previously turned to the scousers or mancs...

My opinion in a nutshell.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:12 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
thevoiceofreason wrote:This whole bigger crowds argument is pretty futile to be honest. Cardiff attendances were very similar to Swanseas in the lower leagues. A little bit more butt you'd expect the capital city to pull bigger crowds.

My opinion in a nutshell.

It's like flogging a dead horse with some people though.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 am

thevoiceofreason wrote: There is no doubt that Cardiff has the bigger catchment area but Swansea do potentially have a large area themselves (anywhere west of Port Talbot maybe?).

The difference between both clubs catchment areas is that Cardiffs catchment area is far more populated than Swansea plus Cardiff have large followings right up to Swansea's doorstep plus a sizeable fanbase in Carmarthen and Llanelli.

Agree with your last point though, success breeds fans and for every season you lot stay in the premier league and we don't our future fanbase will be taking a knock. Like I said, the casual fan see Swansea as a premier league side who play good football, whenever we are in the news it's always something negative whereas you get a lot of positive press.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:39 am

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
thevoiceofreason wrote: There is no doubt that Cardiff has the bigger catchment area but Swansea do potentially have a large area themselves (anywhere west of Port Talbot maybe?).

The difference between both clubs catchment areas is that Cardiffs catchment area is far more populated than Swansea plus Cardiff have large followings right up to Swansea's doorstep plus a sizeable fanbase in Carmarthen and Llanelli.

Agree with your last point though, success breeds fans and for every season you lot stay in the premier league and we don't our future fanbase will be taking a knock. Like I said, the casual fan see Swansea as a premier league side who play good football, whenever we are in the news it's always something negative whereas you get a lot of positive press.

After living in carmarthen, going to college in llanelli and playing for both sides i can categorically say it is staunch swansea. A cardiff top would stand out like a sore thumb.

The fact is, cardiffs catchment area os also swanseas catchment area. There is barely an hour between clubs.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 am

Both towns are Swansea strongholds but there is a sizeable following for Cardiff in both towns. I see a lot of fans from down West at games, sit near to a group of lads from Llanelli and saw a couple of minibuses from Carmarthen at the league cup final last year. I am pretty confident there are more Cardiff fans in Carmarthen/Llanelli than Swans fans in say Caerphilly or Pontypridd per capita.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Both towns are Swansea strongholds but there is a sizeable following for Cardiff in both towns. I see a lot of fans from down West at games, sit near to a group of lads from Llanelli and saw a couple of minibuses from Carmarthen at the league cup final last year. I am pretty confident there are more Cardiff fans in Carmarthen/Llanelli than Swans fans in say Caerphilly or Pontypridd per capita.

Ive never seen a single Cardiff top in either town, ever. Only ever knew one Cardiff fan there and he was from splott originally. :D

But as I said, these catchment areas are mythical. South Wales is a small place, whoever is more successful at the time will have the majority of the area. Im a prime example that the "catchment area" is shared - i lived most of my life in cardiff and never have lived in swansea ever.

The closer you get to each city the more the concentration goes up granted, but the numbers will be based on success.

Sat May 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:You would get 25k for certain games... But as SwanseaLad said this season, you weren't selling out the less glamorous league ties... So for some games I'd say your still get 19k like currently. If you aren't selling out for Palace at home (an example) with a 20k stadium, you won't with a 25k stadium either.

No barry what I said was if we had a 27k stadium we would sell out the big games but the others would need to be kids half price or schools given tickets.
But we would get 23-4 k each week without offers.
There are lots of fans who cant afford or even get a chancr of a season ticket but would go every other week should u be able to walk up on the day

Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 am

Pre league ,your just second class ,accept. It chaps ,your owner scummed u end off ,Portsmouth tumble weed etc,☺

Mon May 19, 2014 9:02 am

Absolutely spot on. I don't think you could get a closer opinion to my own. Great post.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 am

elo wrote:Pre league ,your just second class ,accept. It chaps ,your owner scummed u end off ,Portsmouth tumble weed etc,☺

Another bright spark ^^^ :lol:

Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Both towns are Swansea strongholds but there is a sizeable following for Cardiff in both towns. I see a lot of fans from down West at games, sit near to a group of lads from Llanelli and saw a couple of minibuses from Carmarthen at the league cup final last year. I am pretty confident there are more Cardiff fans in Carmarthen/Llanelli than Swans fans in say Caerphilly or Pontypridd per capita.

Ive never seen a single Cardiff top in either town, ever. Only ever knew one Cardiff fan there and he was from splott originally. :D

But as I said, these catchment areas are mythical. South Wales is a small place, whoever is more successful at the time will have the majority of the area. Im a prime example that the "catchment area" is shared - i lived most of my life in cardiff and never have lived in swansea ever.

The closer you get to each city the more the concentration goes up granted, but the numbers will be based on success.

I'm originally from Llanelli and still visit family regularly. There are Cardiff fans in both Carmarthen and Llanelli. I know for a fact that at least one mini bus goes to every Cardiff game from Llanelli because I know a couple of Cardiff fans who go. I'd say it's probably about 40 Swans fans to every 1 Cardiff though. Since we've been in the Premier League, you can see hundreds of Swans shirts and merchandise being worn around Llanelli. It's made a massive difference. I also know that there are mini buses going to Swans games from Caerphilly and Rhondda though.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 am

Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

I'm originally from Llanelli and still visit family regularly. There are Cardiff fans in both Carmarthen and Llanelli. I know for a fact that at least one mini bus goes to every Cardiff game from Llanelli because I know a couple of Cardiff fans who go. I'd say it's probably about 40 Swans fans to every 1 Cardiff though. Since we've been in the Premier League, you can see hundreds of Swans shirts and merchandise being worn around Llanelli. It's made a massive difference. I also know that there are mini buses going to Swans games from Caerphilly and Rhondda though.

Id imagine there are both sets of fans in every town in the whole of south wales. Cardiff fans are so few and far between in carmarthen and llanelli that they are hardly worth mentioning however. To walk around either town in a Cardiff shirt on a noght out for example is asking for trouble.

People tend to think that these catchment areas are exclusive and they are not in the slightest.

Mon May 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Roath,

A lot comes down to ease of logistics and convenience of the day out.

We already have the "shopping" reference, where huge volumes of people come to Cardiff city centre from a wide area.

Logistically Cardiff's stadium is close to the centre, and easy to walk to from the station. From the FA Cup finals, rugby games etc... the city has proven it can accommodate large amounts of fans. People like the proximity to the city centre.

The Liberty Stadium is still quite a way from Swansea centre. parking is limited (700 places), and the park and ride option a bit of a pain in the arse (waiting delays).

So it would be hard to argue that on logistics Swansea wins. No one is denying Swansea have a well managed club and good business model, but the possibilities for expansion are not on the same potential scale as with Cardiff, purely due to geography and logistics.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the football, because the new supporters would come from a "floating base", it is undeniable that Cardiff's "floating base" potential is larger than Swansea's. But this doesn't mean that Swansea couldn't get 25,000- 30,000 people if their team is flying high.

Clearly this all means nothing if either team are shite, but it could be attractive for an investor who would like to build a super club. I'm sure an investor targeting a fan base of +40,000 regular fan base would see more reason to do it in Cardiff than in Swansea.

But there again, in Swansea he would not have £100 million debt to pay down so might be happy with a smaller fan base.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Id imagine there are both sets of fans in every town in the whole of south wales. Cardiff fans are so few and far between in carmarthen and llanelli that they are hardly worth mentioning however. To walk around either town in a Cardiff shirt on a noght out for example is asking for trouble.

People tend to think that these catchment areas are exclusive and they are not in the slightest.

That's bullshit. Llanelli I can't comment on but Carmarthen has a good ccfc fanbase. I lived there in late 80s/early 90s and would say that ratio of jacks to bluebirds was about 4 to 1. West wales is predominantly Swansea but towns like Tenby and Milford have good ccfc followings.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

That's bullshit. Llanelli I can't comment on but Carmarthen has a good ccfc fanbase. I lived there in late 80s/early 90s and would say that ratio of jacks to bluebirds was about 4 to 1. West wales is predominantly Swansea but towns like Tenby and Milford have good ccfc followings.

Don't see how you can say that's bullshit and then back up your statement with a perceived statistic from 20 to 30 years ago. Realistically, you have no idea what the current ratio is

Mon May 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Absolute nonsense. :thumbup:

Mon May 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Red is so last year wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Don't see how you can say that's bullshit and then back up your statement with a perceived statistic from 20 to 30 years ago. Realistically, you have no idea what the current ratio is

I still have family up west. Visit regularly and there's plenty of fans of both clubs with Swansea being ahead by 4 to 1. Carmarthen has a huge rugby following and I would say 70% of towns folk follow the Scarlett's or one of the 2 local teams with the other 30% being football fans.

Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Red is so last year wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

I still have family up west. Visit regularly and there's plenty of fans of both clubs with Swansea being ahead by 4 to 1. Carmarthen has a huge rugby following and I would say 70% of towns folk follow the Scarlett's or one of the 2 local teams with the other 30% being football fans.

Utter crap