Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" IS MEHMET DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ? "

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:18 pm

" IS CARDIFF CITY CHAIRMAN, MEHMET DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ? "

Our chairman Mehmet Dalman has stated that the club will want £10m for Medel should any club be interested in buying him, on the face of it you would have to consider that as good for business.

Couple that with the reports in the media that City value David Marshall at £15m and also want to receive the money they spent on Steven Caulker, my question is are City possibly causing themselves a financial issue should we keep these players by expecting high values and we fail to go back up to the Premier League ?

Should we not sell these players and fail to go up what value would these players have then ?

As a fan it is romantic to think we can keep hold of possibly our best players and most valuable but are those players at their most valuable for sales right now or do we gamble and hope that we go back up them, otherwise I suspect if we didn't get promoted then their values will crash.

The chairman, Dalman, is trying to raise the offers the club may receive for any player in the spotlight, which is fine, but as a paid employee of the club then he must be careful that he doesn't turn possible suitors away with such high valuations especially when they go to press as he will inevitably corner himself into a position he may find difficult to move out of.

Re: " IS MEHMET DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ? "

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:28 pm

trying to get the highest price possible for our players, which we should do!

Re: IS DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 pm

good point Carl, but if didn't put price tag on what would we get? considering it's generally excepted paid over odds for mentioned players! if don't get promoted maybe their value would be around half what we originally paid for them? so don't think got anything to lose!

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 pm

He's doing the right thing, why should we let them go on the cheap ? He only wants back what we paid for Caulker and Medel, and as for Marshal he's put up a not for sale sign by saying he wants 15 million for him. Good on our chairman.

Re: IS DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 pm

carlccfc wrote:Our chairman Mehmet Dalman has stated that the club will want £10m for Medel should any club be interested in buying him, on the face of it you would have to consider that as good for business.

Couple that with the reports in the media that City value David Marshall at £15m and also want to receive the money they spent on Steven Caulker, my question is are City possibly causing themselves a financial issue should we keep these players by expecting high values and we fail to go back up to the Premier League ?

Should we not sell these players and fail to go up what value would these players have then ?

As a fan it is romantic to think we can keep hold of possibly our best players and most valuable but are those players at their most valuable for sales right now or do we gamble and hope that we go back up them, otherwise I suspect if we didn't get promoted then their values will crash.
J
The chairman, Dalman, is trying to raise the offers the club may receive for any player in the spotlight, which is fine, but as a paid employee of the club then he must be careful that he fdoesn't turn possible suitors away with such high valuations especially when they go to press as he will inevitably corner himself into a position he may find difficult to move out of.

Dalman is playing the reverse game after all wasnt Medel quoted at 4 million and caulker at 6 by some papers, I strongly believe that hes on a winner by blocking any low offers. They can be loaned to cover their wages . Caulkers stock will rise as hes only 22 and a cert for England soner than later. He wants to keep Marshal at any price hes young for a keeper and improving. Medel he
Could get lucky with him . World Cup and all that. And as l say long contracts on the three loans are easily a second option.
Its clear to see this season is a preperation for next with or without them the plans in place.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:34 pm

It's what every chairman does there's no problem.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Personally, I'd loan them out. Protects their value if we don't go straight back up, but also gives us more options if we do.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:36 pm

CHRIS PIKE wrote:He's doing the right thing, why should we let them go on the cheap ? He only wants back what we paid for Caulker and Medel, and as for Marshal he's put up a not for sale sign by saying he wants 15 million for him. Good on our chairman.

Yep we've had to let players go for too little for years, I am glad he is now saying pay the price or feck off! We need them to bounce back up :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:36 pm

Carl I've said the same kind of thing.

Now is the time to sell before these players lose value. Dalman hasn't impressed me one bit with these latest comments. Other chairman ain't stupid they know what he is trying to do. If we get 8m for Marshall and 6m for medel if be surprised.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:51 pm

:ole: :ole: :ole:
Carl you surprise me, not like you to write negativity such as this, won't be long before we are singing the songs, taking the piss out of the opposition and waiting for match day, so there's a good lad, put your pen and paper away and enjoy your free time before August the 12th.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:00 pm

EL JEFE wrote::ole: :ole: :ole:
Carl you surprise me, not like you to write negativity such as this, won't be long before we are singing the songs, taking the piss out of the opposition and waiting for match day, so there's a good lad, put your pen and paper away and enjoy your free time before August the 12th.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I suppose it is negatively thinking but it is something that struck me yesterday when I saw the headline 'we want £10m for Medel'.

I, like everyone else, want City to have the best possible players we can have next season but it is not often that we have players who are recognised as players who can play at a higher level, so in the grand scheme of things (off the pitch), I want what is best for the club. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:01 pm

There's a part of me that thinks Tan has saddled us with more than enough debt to take us down if he walks away or calls it in anyway so does getting absolutely every penny of our full money back on Medel or Caulker really matter? A bit of a gamble to keep them but may be worth it to get back up again? Unless of course either or both want to go.... In which case grab the money now!!

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:07 pm

carlccfc wrote:" IS MEHMET DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ? "

Our chairman Mehmet Dalman has stated that the club will want £10m for Medel should any club be interested in buying him, on the face of it you would have to consider that as good for business.

The chairman, Dalman, is trying to raise the offers the club may receive for any player in the spotlight, which is fine, but as a paid employee of the club then he must be careful that he doesn't turn possible suitors away with such high valuations especially when they go to press as he will inevitably corner himself into a position he may find difficult to move out of.

its football Carl.........i keep hearing stories about leeds wanting 12m for Ross, but it hasnt stopped teams offering less........youd be a damn fool to quote 4 for a player you have paid 11 for thats for sure.......

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I thnk city wantto get rid of Caulker and Medel , probably Kenwyn too to reuce wage bill etc and recoup some money so by putting price tags out there actually thye are parading / touting players esp when playing well in world cup

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Most people will be happy if any of the below happen:-
1. We get £25m-£30m from player sales, only spend £10m and get promoted straight back up
2. We keep the players, get promoted straight back up and the players hold their values

Most people will not be happy if we hold out for transfer values that are too high, don't get promoted straight away and players lose their value after a poor campaign in the premier league.

Personally would think realistic sale values for them as Championship players would be £7m for Caulker, £6m for Medel and £5m for Marshall. I'd give Kenwyne Jones away to whoever is happy to collect him from the stadium.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Carl if you remember when Newcastle were relegated they put high prices on their star players
They didn't sell many of them and started their championship life with players of good premiership quality
I remember Newcastle starting bit slowly adjusting to life in their new league
Around Christmas time their class was beginning to show and they romped the league
Looking back to 1963 city's first season back after 2 years in the top flight city took time to adjust but we didn't have anything like such a good team as we will have to start next season
It won't be easy next season but if we keep Marshy and Medal I will be delighted and big bonus if we keep Caulker,although I believe he will go along with Campbell
I am very positive about next season even if we start the season slowly adjusting to the new league
Carl keep the faith mate lets make sure we all support Olly and the team for a quick return to the prem

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Bluebird86 wrote:It's what every chairman does there's no problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This the Southampton chairman I'd doing the same thing with his two prized assets

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Chill out Carl....transfer Window isn't officially open yet.
Plenty of time to off load some of our assets...

.....window closes Sept 1st so we could be well into our season before the likes of Caulker and Medel leave. :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:04 pm

NO, this is a dangerous game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wW6rENTfaU&feature=kp

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 pm

carlccfc wrote:" IS CARDIFF CITY CHAIRMAN, MEHMET DALMAN PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME ? "

Hopefully he has more experience of negotiating than yourself Carl :thumbup:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:30 am

Carl, remember Dalman is not independent anymore, he is a full time employee of Tans at our club nowadays on good wages.
Dalman reminds me of a good politician.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 am

No he's just doing his job trying to get the best price possible for players we all know are going to leave. What do you want him to do lie down and take the first offer that comes in? :laughing6:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 am

Forever Blue wrote:Carl, remember Dalman is not independent anymore, he is a full time employee of Tans at our club nowadays on good wages.

Dalman is there on his terms and will leave on his terms, l can assure you. Don't undermine him, no soft touch.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 am

i think there could be a case for loaning out Caulker, perhaps we could for-go any loan fee is the club agreed to pay all the wages.

Dont think we should do that with Medel, anything north of 6m is a good offer imo, and we should accept.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:00 am

Forever Blue wrote:Carl, remember Dalman is not independent anymore, he is a full time employee of Tans at our club nowadays on good wages.

This is another thing I don't get. Obviously the two of you are friends and talk outside of the message board but it seems like you want to play things like this out in full view of everybody as if it's almost scripted.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 am

Natman Blue wrote:

This is another thing I don't get. Obviously the two of you are friends and talk outside of the message board but it seems like you want to play things like this out in full view of everybody as if it's almost scripted.

are you suggesting there's a scriptwriter, puppetmaster in the background? :laughing6:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:20 am

i think we should get as much as possible for the pair of them, so if he's asking for that amount then atleast clubs that are interested in them know where they stand :bluescarf:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 am

Natman Blue wrote:NO, this is a dangerous game....

You got far too much time on your hands :laughing6:

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 am

ihatealiens wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:NO, this is a dangerous game....

You got far too much time on your hands :laughing6:

Used to love Ren and Stimpy

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:41 am

Quite honestly, the answer to your question as far as I'm concerned is Dalman is an extremely skillful high powered international businessman with skills that I don't fully understand the extent of. What I do know is I wouldnt trust him an inch as he appears to be an extremely accomplished diplomat and politition as well.

Is he playing a dangerous game..................Of course he is. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: