Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Racism in football '

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Just hearing Kompany address the crowd before kick-off, I personally think this is a brilliant part of the campaign set out by Fifa.
We see football racism a lot nowadays, Monkey noises, banana's on the pitch ect. ect. (although D. Alves reacted brilliantly to that! :lol: )

It's not exactly going to inspire the racists idiots to stop their ways, but just bringing more light to such a huge issue, on the world stage is fantastic.

Re: Racism in football

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:39 am

Listen you sheep shagging....ah sorry mate loves you I do :wink:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:30 am

Amazing how so many people reply to Roathie's threads, despite disagreeing with anything he has to say, and apparently hating the guy, yet nobody feels like discussing a major issue in sport.

Funny old world ey

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 am

Racism, like the vast majority of problems in this world, will never go away. I admire FIFA for taking action (they were probably pressured into it) but personally, I think it's a waste of time. It won't solve anything. Football has evolved tremendously from what it used to be like. Less hooliganism, in some parts of the world, more money being involved, more advertising, footballers and clubs being used for political or corporate greed/gain.

But for racism to become extinct from football, it needs to be extinct from society. Will that happen? Perhaps when humanity grows up. But that will be a long time.

Re: ' Racism in football '

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:44 am

will anti-English songs ever stop down the city..? I doubt it

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Military Junta wrote:will anti-English songs ever stop down the city..? I doubt it

thats where the difference between racism and banter is blured slightly...i dont mind being made fun of for being welsh if its in good humor but racism in its most recognisable forms are wrong.

i suppose it does boil down to the fact that as mainly white males in a 1st world country we can't have too many complaints and can maybe take a bit of stick where as oppressed minoritys will obviously take attacks against their race or origin with (understandably) slightly more weight

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Military Junta wrote:will anti-English songs ever stop down the city..? I doubt it

What a mental statement to make

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

JamesC wrote:

What a mental statement to make

why as racism isn't about colour you know

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:45 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:

thats where the difference between racism and banter is blured slightly...i dont mind being made fun of for being welsh if its in good humor but racism in its most recognisable forms are wrong.

i suppose it does boil down to the fact that as mainly white males in a 1st world country we can't have too many complaints and can maybe take a bit of stick where as oppressed minoritys will obviously take attacks against their race or origin with (understandably) slightly more weight

well unfortunately even football banter is being described as hateful comments and you only have to look at what happened with Spurs fans last year and people shouting gay chants to Brighton fans last year.

Personally I agree with you but its more than a black/white thing these days.