Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' I think Caulker is a quality Player '

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:05 am

Interesting debate about Steven caulker where it appears the view of more than a few on this messgaeboard they would gladly see him leave! Is this purely based on the 2nd half of the season where he found himself with a different centre half, full backs, and midfield every game. Then with the six midfielders, and attacking players along with the two full backs bombing on like charge of the light brigade leaving the centre half's and goalkeeper exposed to world class players on the counter attack, with plenty of pace and power would make any top defender look ordinary? because if it is based on the first half of the season under malky Mackay you must have been watching a different player to me!

Several man of the match performances under a settled defence and team not the most exciting but effective tactics he was the rock on many of our good performances until christmas it look like we would have enough to stay up. the change of manager brought a change in the play with players who had been bought for the more defensive style of football tight unit contain and catch teams on the break to the more open all action style, unfortunately many of the players looked ordinary in the 2nd half of the season due to the change in the style of play.

I hope we keep him he will be outstanding in the championship he is a true leader with plenty of ability with premiership quality, and would give us a good quartet of centre halfs for the long campaign ahead.

Re: ' I think Caulker is a quality Player '

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 am

Hi vince Dilwyn here, agree about Caulker and have a funny feeling he will still be here in august. Even Liverpool baulked at his wage demands and we've offered him more since. he is young enough to stay put and roll the dice on 1 season in the championship. If we dont go up he can leave next year. I think he will realise he's on good money here. Why go to QPR and be in the same position next year maybe? Just a thought.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 am

He will be fine at this level, but he's a follower that thought he was a leader last season. If he goes to qpr with Ferrdinand that'll help. Look at Newcastle's first goal at the end of last season, amateur. England chances? Needs his head checking.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 am

Ferdinand looked a right carthorse the times I saw him last year. not sure who'll be helping who there

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 am

My thoughts entirely, Vince. Too many, who were anti-Malky (gosh aren't people ungrateful) gloss over glaring knock-on problems after Tan's decision to sack him. A settled, hard to breakdown unit that was on target to stay in the division resulted in all the problems you mentioned. How many times fans (?) said to me that Medel, Caulker, KTC, Kim etc were rubbish and a waste of money were legion. They weren't rubbish against Man City were they? They weren't rubbish up until Christmas. If performance levels dropped, which they did, after OGS was appointed then that was down to his constant chopping and changing of personnel and formation.

StT.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 am

yes Steve agree with this. some of the line ups at the end of the season made me wonder if Ole was drawing the names out of a hat. think he'll get us up this year tho :ole:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 am

djbluebird wrote:Ferdinand looked a right carthorse the times I saw him last year. not sure who'll be helping who there

Exactly what I think.
While Ferdinand was an exceptional player in his day, watching him last season, I felt he had lost it.
A world of experience but you need a bit more than that in the Prem.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 am

Caulker is a good defender but no captain, still very young and has a lot to learn. Of course he was better in the first half of the season as he had a lot of protection with the whole team defending. Remember THAT Norwich game was in the first half of the season, the game where only marshalls keeping saved us!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:35 pm

Certainly going to leave, just a matter of to who.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 pm

[quote="Steve the Tea TM (c)"]My thoughts entirely, Vince. Too many, who were anti-Malky (gosh aren't people ungrateful) gloss over glaring knock-on problems after Tan's decision to sack him. A settled, hard to breakdown unit that was on target to stay in the division resulted in all the problems you mentioned. How many times fans (?) said to me that Medel, Caulker, KTC, Kim etc were rubbish and a waste of money were legion. They weren't rubbish against Man City were they? They weren't rubbish up until Christmas. If performance levels dropped, which they did, after OGS was appointed then that was down to his constant chopping and changing of personnel and formation.

StT.[/quote]

hard to break down? sorry you obviously dont realise we had second worse defence after fulham when malky went! that is on record!! :laughing6: agree about changes but then its pure conjecture as to if we would have stayed up anyway :thumbup:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:45 pm

He is decent enough, not as good as I thought he would be though.
He would do well in the championship but do we need a 8m defender on what must be big wages? I don't think so personally.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:22 pm

vince.alm wrote:Interesting debate about Steven caulker where it appears the view of more than a few on this messgaeboard they would gladly see him leave! Is this purely based on the 2nd half of the season where he found himself with a different centre half, full backs, and midfield every game. Then with the six midfielders, and attacking players along with the two full backs bombing on like charge of the light brigade leaving the centre half's and goalkeeper exposed to world class players on the counter attack, with plenty of pace and power would make any top defender look ordinary? because if it is based on the first half of the season under malky Mackay you must have been watching a different player to me!

Several man of the match performances under a settled defence and team not the most exciting but effective tactics he was the rock on many of our good performances until christmas it look like we would have enough to stay up. the change of manager brought a change in the play with players who had been bought for the more defensive style of football tight unit contain and catch teams on the break to the more open all action style, unfortunately many of the players looked ordinary in the 2nd half of the season due to the change in the style of play.

I hope we keep him he will be outstanding in the championship he is a true leader with plenty of ability with premiership quality, and would give us a good quartet of centre halfs for the long campaign ahead.

Vince we would have David Luiz and people would moan a quality centre half and one I'd love to keep.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:26 pm

I think Caulker is a very good centre back, who was also a good goal threat for us last season and can only get better and better! Personally, I'd like him to stay!

However, whilst he may well end up becoming a good leader as well as a very good centre back only time will tell, as IMO, this is where he fell short last season!

Fabio, Declan John and especially KTC, were guilty of ball watching on many an occasion, but the player who controls the back four, as well as doing his own job, must be aware of developing situations around him and the rest of the back four as well!

IMO, this is where Caulker fell short last season, as he failed to identify some very obvious threats and notify the full backs of impending danger!

There were many incidents where we were caught out last season, the first goal we conceded at Swansea being a prime example, but the main incident which stands out for me, was the goal we conceded at home to West Ham, when KTC took the brunt of criticism (right that he should take his share), but Carlton Cole was the goalscorer, who is a centre forward! There's no problem with centre backs passing on centre forwards to full backs to mark, as long as the full back isn't marking somebody else at the time, but if he gets passed on, the centre back has also to make the full back aware as well! Whilst KTC should have been aware of Cole's threat on this occasion, it's also the leader of the back four's responsibility to make sure that the full backs are also in position and on that occasion, this didn't happen!

To be fair to Caulker, even though he wasn't marking anybody for the Carlton Cole goal, neither was Hudson, who I'm pretty certain, was the captain for that day!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Typical of fickle fan base to build him up then slag him now he's off. He's a talent!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm

vince.alm wrote:Interesting debate about Steven caulker where it appears the view of more than a few on this messgaeboard they would gladly see him leave! Is this purely based on the 2nd half of the season where he found himself with a different centre half, full backs, and midfield every game. Then with the six midfielders, and attacking players along with the two full backs bombing on like charge of the light brigade leaving the centre half's and goalkeeper exposed to world class players on the counter attack, with plenty of pace and power would make any top defender look ordinary? because if it is based on the first half of the season under malky Mackay you must have been watching a different player to me!

You will be proved right of course he will go on to have a great career at the top half of the Premier League and if he spreally applies himself in a top five team, I really though Brenda was going to buy him now, but maybe one more club before a top team.....

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Caulker reminds me of Tom Ince. A good tidy player but a greedy big headed prat who it seems isn't interested in what is best for his career but the wages he thinks he can get. They both push to much no team will want them. Especially Ince.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Pembroke Allan: "Hard to break down? sorry you obviously dont realise we had second worse defence after fulham when malky went! that is on record!!"

Actually PA when Malky was sacked City had conceded 28 goals; Sunderland 30; Norwich 31 and Fulham 35.

StT

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Agree with the OP and many smart posts. It's a pity that some of the posters on this thread cant post more often. I feel the voices of the mindless and consistently negative win out on this board. The moaners shout the loudest and get the most attention.

I'm sure if you asked our wider fan base then most would agree that Caulker is a quality and technically gifted CB whom they would love to keep at the club, still with an even greater potential. Now it has become popular to do so, Steven Caulker is portrayed to be a money grabbing, soulless mercenary which I don't agree with that one bit. Even if Caulker leaves us to play at a higher level I wish him all the best. I think he and Marshall showed more hurt than any other of our players when relegation looked inevitable.

Our attack ball retention was the main reason why we shipped so many goals last year. We never pinned teams back. And we evolved into a team that gave the ball away cheaply in midfield and attack. Also as the season wore on and belief dissipated, our pressure with out the ball, in midfield and up front dropped significantly. People who know football know that the back four are not only to blame for conceding, its the whole unit.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:15 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He is decent enough, not as good as I thought he would be though.
He would do well in the championship but do we need a 8m defender on what must be big wages? I don't think so personally.

I see it from the same view which is wages.

I would love him to stay but for these clubs coming out and not even managing to agree his wages says it all so be better if we get rid. He needs an experienced man alongside him and we need a new captain, why put it to someone who is 21 or something? Bonkers decision.