Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Birmingham Agree To Sell Adeyemi '

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:39 pm

Blues agree to sell Tom Adeyemi to Cardiff

Tom Adeyemi is set to get his wish granted and leave Birmingham City for Cardiff City.

Within the next 24 to 48 hours Adeyemi’s switch to the Welsh club will be completed, subject to a medical.

Blues didn’t want to sell Adeyemi but once he put in a transfer request after Cardiff made a bid - and kept on coming back with improved offers - they bowed to the inevitable.

Blues are likely to receive in excess of £1 million, plus add-ons as well as a decent sell-on clause for Adeyemi, who has a year left on his contract.

Lee Clark and the club wrestled with the dilemma of trying to keep a want away player.

But in the end they knew they were fighting a losing battle and decided to try and get the best deal possible.

In this regard, again, the club’s financial state played a part. And Cardiff were well aware of this.

Adeyemi was brought in on a Bosman from Norwich City last summer, under the bracket of signings costing less than £5,000-a-week in wages.

Although Blues proposed an improved contract to the 22-year-old, Cardiff’s monetary muscle was always going to blow them out of the water.

Clark believes that Adeyemi made a mistake in opting to push for a move to Cardiff, who were relegated from the Premier League last season as the bottom club.

The Blues boss reckons he is good enough to be snapped up by a top-flight outfit now.

Neither Clark nor the club wanted to see Adeyemi go, however.

But neither are Blues realistically in a strong position to keep hold of their assets.

The transfer represents a blow to Clark, coming so close to the season’s start.

His squad has been settled since virtually the end of June, when Blues reported back for training with nine new additions on board.

And Adeyemi, Blues young player of the season, was a central figure in his side.

Clark made Adeyemi vice-captain a fortnight ago and, in Paul Robinson’s absence due to injury, he skippered Blues in the last two friendlies.

Money from Adeyemi’s sale is likely to be released for Clark to try and find a replacement.

And Blues are due a further windfall from a sell-on clause in the sale of Jordon Mutch to Cardiff, back in 2012.

Mutch has moved to QPR for £6 million - a transfer that reignited Cardiff’s early summer interest in Adeyemi.

One problem Clark does have when it comes to dipping into the market himself is wages.

Even if he is able to agree a significant fee for a player, finding someone of the required quality to fall into the current wage structure will not be easy.

Blues may have to show some leeway in this respect.

Adeyemi made 40 appearances for Blues, scoring three goals.

Clark worked with him when Norwich assistant manager as Adeyemi was coming through the Carrow Road youth ranks.

A big fan of his box to box, powerful, athletic football, Clark believes Adeyemi has the potential to go on and become a top, modern day style Premier League midfielder.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... le-7568849

Re: Birmingham Agree To Sell Adeyemi

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Happy days

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Let's hope these sell on fees/clauses aren't as bad as the ones in our other players contracts!

Brilliant to hear though, 1m is a good price. We are really going for it :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:45 pm

I was hoping the club could pull this one off :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Happy to us get this deal done!

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Good player. Great addition. Very much in the Mutch mold. See what I did there? :laughing6:

Re: ' Birmingham Agree To Sell Adeyemi '

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I think he will be an awesome signings I love taking players off brum how times have changed

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:58 pm

wez1927 wrote:I think he will be an awesome signings I love taking players off brum how times have changed

Same here Wez, after the Rowan Vine and Bent deals I have loathed them :thumbup:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Good signing, welcome Tom :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:10 pm

salopiancity wrote:Good player. Great addition. Very much in the Mutch mold. See what I did there? :laughing6:

What spell mould wrong? ;)

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm

maccydee wrote:
salopiancity wrote:Good player. Great addition. Very much in the Mutch mold. See what I did there? :laughing6:

What spell mould wrong? ;)

Yeah I noticed that. Couldn't be bothered to edit it. :oops:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 pm

How dare they insert a big sell on clause! All these sell on clauses will financially ruin our club! Everyone is milking our club dry! ;)

On a serious note, I know nothing about him, I've never seen him play, but it's encouraging Clark thinks he's good enough for the Premiership right now. It's a position we desperately need strengthening, especially with the strong rumour Gunnarsson will be leaving.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm

I have to be honest, I know and have seen very little of his play. What's his strengths ? Weakness ? :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Good addition no messing around after Mutch left, never liked Birmingham so more than happy to pick their stars :lol:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Brum fan I work with said better than Mutch. Gutted he's going.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Great news :bluescarf: :ole:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I think he will be an awesome signings I love taking players off brum how times have changed

Same here Wez, after the Rowan Vine and Bent deals I have loathed them :thumbup:

Don't for get Roger Johnson and Jerome. Boots on the other foot now. However we mustn't forget that could easily be ud

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWoiGqt503U

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Don't for get Roger Johnson and Jerome. Boots on the other foot now. However we mustn't forget that could easily be ud

Very true Tim :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Awsome. Really happy about this signing. Not a huge fee, great age and great potential. Will provide the drive needed in midfield I hope. Could even be a possible captain in a few years.

Looking forward to see him and Dikgacois effect on the defensive problems we've seen in pre-season. Imo, the centre backs (or the back four rather) have gotten too much blame for it.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Fantastic signing :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Doubt he will be in squad for friday :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Sorted
2014-15-squad-photo101-1806510.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Be interesting to see how he compares to mutch. Im sure mutch will have a good season at qpr but if adeyemi performs for us then it's good business especialy considering the price. It looks like we've finally got our transfer dealings right :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Lots of optimistic posts tonight.....hope we don't get guzumped. I'll wait until it's official.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Can anyone tell me what type of player he is?

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Very true Tim :bluescarf:

The difference between the two clubs at the minute is that we have a very rich owner who is prepared to ensure that we are very competitive when it comes to making money available for the purchase of players and their subsequent wages. When he walks away (which can't come soon enough for some supporters), we could quite easily find ourselves in a worse position than Birmingham, and struggle to hold on to any half decent players. Hardly any of these players go to a club for any reason other than money, and apart from a couple of years here and there, that is something this club rarely has.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 pm

VincentTanOut wrote:Can anyone tell me what type of player he is?

This blog
http://nattubes.wordpress.com/2014/08/0 ... mi-to-dry/
Describes him as a "proper box to box midfielder"
He was crucial to Lee Clark’s plans; we haven’t got anyone else really like him, who will do his running and be able to impose themselves on games the way he can. We have midfielders like Reilly and Olly Lee who will work hard and give 100%, but they aren’t anything like Tom Adeyemi, especially in terms of his physique. He can bully players, he can win the ball, he can be dominant in the air, he can create goals, he can score goals and he can go from minute one to minute ninety

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Tommy2 wrote:

This blog
He was crucial to Lee Clark’s plans; we haven’t got anyone else really like him, who will do his running and be able to impose themselves on games the way he can. We have midfielders like Reilly and Olly Lee who will work hard and give 100%, but they aren’t anything like Tom Adeyemi, especially in terms of his physique. He can bully players, he can win the ball, he can be dominant in the air, he can create goals, he can score goals and he can go from minute one to minute ninety

He can't be all that else we wouldn't be getting him and certainly not for a million squid.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm

maccydee wrote:
Tommy2 wrote:

This blog

He can't be all that else we wouldn't be getting him and certainly not for a million squid.

Another player in the last year of his contract. Sell or lose for nothing in January.

Also Birmingham are in a financial pickle.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:58 pm

maccydee wrote:
Tommy2 wrote:

This blog

He's a very good player and an absolute bargain at c.£1m. Blues have no choice. Last year of contract and the player wants the move to Cardiff. Nice to be the club holding the aces for a change!