Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MATCH THREAD ' CARDIFF CITY v SHEFF WED ' MATCH THREAD

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

CARDIFF CITY v SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
Saturday 27th Sept
Cardiff City Stadium
3.00pm

@CardiffCityFC: TEAM NEWS: @CardiffCityFC: Marshall, Brayford, Fabio, Manga, S Morrison, Gunnarsson, Noone, Whittingham, Pilkington, Daehli, Jones.

The likely line-ups
Cardiff City (possible) 4-4-2: D Marshall (capt); J Brayford, B Manga, M Connolly, Fabio; A Pilkington, R Morrison, P Whittingham, C Noone; K Jones, A Le Fondre.

Sheffield Wednesday (probable) 4-4-2: K Westwood; L Palmer, G Loovens (capt), T Lees, J Mattock; C Maguire, J Semedo, G Coke, J Maghoma; S May, A Nuhiu.

You can pay on the day :thumbright:

Sheff Wed have sold 1,400 tickets.

wed.png

' UPDATED DAILY ' :thumbright:

:bluescarf: ' CARDIFF CITY ' :ayatollah:

Friday 26/09/14

Team news
Ravel Morrison, signed on loan from West Ham, is in line for a Bluebirds debut. Fabio could return from injury at left-back, with Declan John standing by. The Welshman was one of the few to produce reasonable form against Bournemouth in midweek.

Wednesday have kept seven clean sheets already this season, though they lost 7-0 at Manchester City in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, and are in the play-off positions. They could stick with an unchanged team from their last Championship match, a 1-0 win against Reading.

Thursday 25/09/14

Club have just confirmed Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon will conduct CardiffCity FC pre-match press conference tomorrow.

Now looking likely Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon will be at helm for CardiffCity FC game on Saturday while club still chases Slade.

Slade expected to watch match from Directors box.

Cardiff City go into Saturday's Championship clash at home to Sheffield Wednesday looking to turn their form around following a severe dip in fortunes in recent weeks.

Danny Gabbidon and Scott Young have taken caretaker charge in South Wales, but things have not improved, with a 2-2 draw with Derby County - in which they threw away a two-goal lead - being followed by a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Bournemouth in the League Cup.

A new era is fast approaching, however, with Russell Slade's appointment believed to be imminent following his resignation from his post at Leyton Orient.

He will be tasked with halting a slide that has seen one of the pre-season favourites for the title plummet down to 16th in the Championship table with just nine points from their opening eight games.

Whether he is appointed in time to be in the dugout this weekend remains to be seen, but whoever is in charge will have the mercurial talents of Ravel Morrison at their disposal following his loan move earlier this week.

He could come straight into the side, with a number of players seeing their first-team places at risk following the midweek performance.

Cardiff City managerial, Unfolding developments after Russell Slade arrives at Bluebirds training ground.

Wed 24/09/14
It hoped Russell Slade will be in charge before Saturday :ayatollah:

Friday 26/09/14

Tomorrow Loovens will skipper the Owls as they look to get back to winning ways. He will replace Kamil Zayatte, who serves a one-match ban for his sending off at the Etihard Stadium, while Keiren Westwood, Jose Semedo and Atdhe Nuhiu are also pushing for first-team recalls.

Kieran Lee could be included in the match-day squad after shrugging off a long-standing groin problem.

Stuart Gray, the Owls head coach, said: “Cardiff have not made the best of starts and got rid of their manager.

“It will be interesting if they have a new manager in place but I can’t control what they do. All I can do is pick my players up and try and get them prepared for Saturday. It was unusual for us to concede so many at City but I want a reaction from our players. Hopefully that was a one off. We need to get back to keeping it tight at the back.”

Team news
City will likely make several changes on the weekend after a second string side faced Bournemouth in the Carling Cup midweek. It is possible that a new manager will be in place by the weekend, which will guarantee even further changes to the team.

The Opposition
Stuart Gray's side have lost just one of their 10 matches in all competitions this season, conceding just four goals ahead of their trip to the Etihad in the Carling Cup on Wednesday.

Form - Last 5 Games
Cardiff have lost 3 and drawn two.
Sheffield United have won 3, lost 1 and drawn 1 in all competitions.

Last 5 meetings
2012/2013 Sat 16 Mar Sheff. Wed. 0 - 2 Cardiff City Championship
2012/2013 Sun 02 Dec Cardiff City 1 - 0 Sheff. Wed. Championship
2009/2010 Sat 24 Apr Cardiff City 3 - 2 Sheff. Wed. Championship
2008/2009 Sat 26 Sep Sheff. Wed. 3 - 1 Cardiff City Championship
2008/2009 Sun 03 May Sheff. Wed. 1 - 0 Cardiff City Championship

Match Odds
Click here for full odds

Cardiff 11/8
Draw 12/5
Bournemouth 19/10

Tickets
The match is a Cardiff City Stadium silver fixture, with Family Stand Value tickets available for two adults and two children at only £40, subject to availability.

The tickets will be set at the lowest rate for Gold Members until 9am Thursday 28 August at the bas rate, after which time they be placed on general sale.

To make an enquiry, or to buy memberships and tickets, please call 0845 345 1400.

Guess the Score / Attendance
Post your predicted score/attendance below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' MATCH THREAD: CARDIFF CITY v SHEFF WED ' Updated Daily

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Not interested anymore - I think I will have a pleasant afternoon shopping with the family. You've had enough of me Cardiff City and Tan is killing us.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Another match thread... it´s like offering people another strawberry when you just had an allergic reaction from the first one.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Who the f**k can predict what's going to happen?

Re: LATEST NEWS ' CARDIFF CITY v SHEFF WED ' Updated Daily

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 pm

The way its been so far, you can only predict another disastrous result, unless a strong manager comes in ASAP, I see City being hammered. :cry:

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Cardiff City 0-4 Sheffield Wednesday

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 am

Honestly, I don't see us winning again until we can bring in a strong manager. Not sure what the choices last night were all about, why experiment against a team who is better than us?

Who knows what will happen if we do bring a good manager in, the optimist in me says we could pull off a recovery to top half of the table (squad isn't any worse) but we just need more consistency in the team before we see consistency in the results.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:The way its been so far, you can only predict another disastrous result, unless a strong manager comes in ASAP, I see City being hammered. :cry:

Agree

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:49 am

Things turn around fast in football. Saturday we could have our best game of the season, who knows..

My team in a traditional 4-4-2

Marshall

Connolly - Manga - Cala - Fabio (available?)

Pilkington - Whittingham - Gunnarsson - Daehli

Jones - Macheda

Sub: Moore, Brayford, Ralls, Eikrem, Noone, Le Fondre, Guerra

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Im sure wednesday will bring 2,000 plus and make it a cracking atmos in the away end

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 pm

we will lose this game

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Wednesdya only had an original allocation of 1100. Wonder if they took more.

I'd go for

Marshall
Fabio (John if Fabio not fit) Manga Connolly Brayford

Noone Whittingham Dikgachoi (if fit) Daehli Pilkington

Jones

Only 1 surviving starter from Tuesday (Brayford).

Have to play 5 in midfield as we are getting swamped in there.

Our squad's still got no balance though.

Need more bite in the middle and we can go back to 4-4-2.

So disappointed with Adeyemi last night, he should be an automatic starter, but he was rubbish, looked lazy and disinterested and doesn't deserve to start.

I'm also hoping that Guerra was just having an off-night as he was awful too.

If he was playing like he did against Huddersfield we could put him and KD in the middle and go 4-4-2.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 pm

City players fired up,2 nil City :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:50 pm

They just got wrecked 7-0 by man city, so this weekend they will either be vilified and play really well, or demoralised and be shit. Hard to say!

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Cardiff target Slade resigns as Leyton Orient manager

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Russell Slade has taken a step closer to the vacant manager post at Cardiff City after the Bluebirds target tendered his resignation as Leyton Orient boss.

The Welsh side have been without a manager since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s departure last week, with Slade - last season’s League One manager of the year - installed as the hot favourite for the position.

However, Orient confirmed on Monday they had rejected an approach from the Championship outfit for the 53-year-old coach.

The O’s then revealed on Wednesday - 24 hours after their Capital One Cup defeat to fellow League One side Sheffield United – that Slade had submitted a letter of resignation.

"This has not happened by chance after the club rejected this afternoon, a proposal from the general manager of Cardiff City regarding the transfer of Russell Slade," an O's statement read.

"The lawyers of the club are now studying the file."

If his resignation is accepted, it would open the way for him to hold talks with Cardiff about a move to the Championship club.

Re: GUESS SCORE/CROWD ' CARDIFF CITY v SHEFF WED ' Updated D

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 am

City 1 Wed 3
Crowd 20,980

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 am

Dve wrote:Things turn around fast in football. Saturday we could have our best game of the season, who knows..

Marshall

Jones - Macheda

If Cala plays I'm not going, he was shocking on Tuesday

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:38 am

Im taking my 7 year old daughter to her first ever game on Saturday. Wow what a time to introduce her to the splendour of Cardiff city.

Im being confident and predicting a 3-0 win :bluescarf:

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:42 am

It's all down to the players, frankly. Life's not perfect at Cardiff City but they're paid fortunes and now's the time for them to respond and make an effort.

The club's in crisis, and if any of the playing staff think they can just turn up and go through the motions, I would rather they leave.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:46 am

Its going to be a great day.......strongbow half price in all city pubs..........city players to dig in and show some grit......play great attacking football and win 4-1.....then..........hang on two men in white coats at the door...oh..............

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Cardiff City managerial, Unfolding developments after Russell Slade arrives at Bluebirds training ground.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Club have just confirmed Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon will conduct CardiffCity FC pre-match press conference tomorrow.

Now looking likely Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon will be at helm for CardiffCity FC game on Saturday while club still chases Slade.

Slade expected to watch match from Directors box.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:26 pm

You can pay on the day :thumbright:

Sheff Wed have sold 1,400 tickets.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

scooby1973 wrote:
Dve wrote:Things turn around fast in football. Saturday we could have our best game of the season, who knows..

Marshall

Jones - Macheda

If Cala plays I'm not going, he was shocking on Tuesday

Another fickle fucker! Cheerio :wave:

Re: UPDATED NEWS ' CARDIFF CITY v SHEFF WED ' Updated Daily

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Thursday 25th Sept 2014.

Cardiff City go into Saturday's Championship clash at home to Sheffield Wednesday looking to turn their form around following a severe dip in fortunes in recent weeks.

A solid start to the season has quickly turned sour, with a four-match winless streak costing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer his job.

Danny Gabbidon and Scott Young have taken caretaker charge in South Wales, but things have not improved, with a 2-2 draw with Derby County - in which they threw away a two-goal lead - being followed by a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Bournemouth in the League Cup.

A new era is fast approaching, however, with Russell Slade's appointment believed to be imminent following his resignation from his post at Leyton Orient.

He will be tasked with halting a slide that has seen one of the pre-season favourites for the title plummet down to 16th in the Championship table with just nine points from their opening eight games.

Whether he is appointed in time to be in the dugout this weekend remains to be seen, but whoever is in charge will have the mercurial talents of Ravel Morrison at their disposal following his loan move earlier this week.

He could come straight into the side, with a number of players seeing their first-team places at risk following the midweek performance.

By contrast, Sheffield Wednesday have surpassed all expectations so far this season and find themselves in the playoff positions with 15 points from their opening eight matches.

Back-to-back victories, three consecutive clean sheets and just one goal conceded in their last three outings in the Championship has contributed to the Owls boasting the second best defensive record in the division so far this season.

However, that defensive solidity was not evident in the second half of their League Cup tie with Manchester City on Wednesday as Stuart Gray's side collapsed to a 7-0 defeat having gone into the break goalless.

Gray will need to pick his players up from that capitulation if they are continue the sort of league form that has meant that only leaders Nottingham Forest have beaten them this season.

Wednesday remain unbeaten on their travels in the league and have kept three clean sheets in their four away games in the Championship this term.

Sam Hutchinson and Kieran Lee are both injury doubts going into the match, and Gray could opt to name an unchanged side to the one that beat Reading in their last league outing.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm

2-2 17987

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:07 pm

MATCH PREVIEW: Cardiff City -v- Wednesday -

11 SHADES OF GRAY
Kamil Zayatte serves a one match suspension after seeing red at the Etihad. One of the few pluses from the 7-0 pasting was that Lewis Buxton completed the 90 minutes on his return to the side. It gives Stuart Gray a pleasant conundrum on whether to stick with Buxton or put Liam Palmer back at right back after his foray into midfield.
Joe Mattock was left woefully exposed time and time again so Jeremy Helan could play on the left of midfield to give Mattock some defensive support.
Sam Hutchinson and Kieran Lee remain on the sidelines but Kieren Westwood and Jose Semedo should return to the reckoning after being rested midweek.

http://www.owlsalive.com/match-previews ... fcityaway/

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 pm

How both clubs did in midweek

Sheffield Wednesday got a good old-fashioned arse-kicking at the hands of the English champions. The scoreline masks the factthat Wednesday more than held their own in the first half but no doubt some harsh words from Manuel Pellegrini saw City shift to the next level and hand Wednesday a shellacking. Having Kamil Zayatte sent off at 3-0 made it an exercise in damage limitation, an exercise Wednesday didn’t succeed at.

Cardiff made several changes, but their recent misery continued as Eddie Howe’s Bournemouth had little problem in advancing to the fourth round of the League Cup. They could easily have lost by more, joint caretaker manager Danny Gabbidon twice having to clear off his own line to keep the scoreline down.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:06 am

' Sheff Wed '

Tomorrow Loovens will skipper the Owls as they look to get back to winning ways. He will replace Kamil Zayatte, who serves a one-match ban for his sending off at the Etihard Stadium, while Keiren Westwood, Jose Semedo and Atdhe Nuhiu are also pushing for first-team recalls.

Kieran Lee could be included in the match-day squad after shrugging off a long-standing groin problem.

Stuart Gray, the Owls head coach, said: “Cardiff have not made the best of starts and got rid of their manager.

“It will be interesting if they have a new manager in place but I can’t control what they do. All I can do is pick my players up and try and get them prepared for Saturday. It was unusual for us to concede so many at City but I want a reaction from our players. Hopefully that was a one off. We need to get back to keeping it tight at the back.”

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 am

Team news
Ravel Morrison, signed on loan from West Ham, is in line for a Bluebirds debut. Fabio could return from injury at left-back, with Declan John standing by. The Welshman was one of the few to produce reasonable form against Bournemouth in midweek.

Wednesday have kept seven clean sheets already this season, though they lost 7-0 at Manchester City in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, and are in the play-off positions. They could stick with an unchanged team from their last Championship match, a 1-0 win against Reading.