Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW " FINALLY SOME HOPE AT LAST "

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:31 pm

MY VIEW
" FINALLY SOME HOPE AT LAST "

CARDIFF CITY 2 SHEFF WED 1

CardiffCityFC: Marshall, Brayford, Fabio, Manga, S Morrison, Gunnarsson, Noone, Whittingham, Pilkington, Daehli, Jones.

Crowd 20,901 incl 1,400 Sheff Wed fans

We all went in to this game disillusioned and a club in dissaray, but fair play to Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon they picked a strong team today and guess what all their right positions and we have not seen that from a Cardiff City team for over nine months :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sheff Wed started strongly and for the first 15 minutes were on top and thankfully Fabio kicked the ball of the goal mouth line within the first 5 minutes.
I was starting to worry as it was looking one way traffic,but City kept their composure and held strong. We were lacking confidence and that was my main worry. Then Daehli for me who was in contention for man of the match and always looked dangerous set up the attack for Morrison to give us a shock one nil lead to City. :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
From then on I thought we controlled most of the first half including Gunnarson having a header saved by Wednesdays keeper that looked like going in.

The second half Wednesday started again brightly,we looked all over the place,with no shape and they scored to make it 1-1 or shall I say Morrison scored an own goal to make it 1-1. :shock:
Now I was worried as I expected us to crumble but we never and we took the game to them,this to me was the most pleasing part of the day.
Gunnarson was every where and our team was now taking shape.
We started to put the pressure on them and we it paid off,with Pilkington making it 2-1 to City :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
From then on City looked good and with Ravel Morrison now on the pitch, who by the way looked sheer class,it was looking more likely City to score another one.

Even with 5 minutes of injury time,we looked the better team.

A Great 3pts,badly needed to give Confidence to our team and fans. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Russell Slade watched the match from the main Grandstand,expected to be in charge for the Brighton game, he took notes all the way through the game,he must be pleased with the class of players he can manage.

I actually thought Sheff Wed looked an ordinary side,but you can only beat whats in front of you and City did :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My Man of the match Arron Gunnarson, was every where :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Atmosphere improved today and Brighton here we come. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " FINALLY SOME HOPE AT LAST "

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Agree Wednesday looked ordinary but they've only conceded four goals in the league are were in the playoff places. Overall a marked improvement today. The big test will be against Forest. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:MY VIEW

CardiffCityFC: Marshall, Brayford, Fabio, Manga, S Morrison, Gunnarsson, Noone, Whittingham, Pilkington, Daehli, Jones.

We all went in to this game disillusioned and a club in dissaray, but fair play to Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon they picked a strong team today and guess what all their right positions and we have not seen that from a Cardiff City team for over nine months :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sheff Wed started strongly and for the first 15 minutes were on top and thankfully Fabio kicked the ball of the goal mouth line within the first 5 minutes.
I was starting to worry as it was looking one way traffic,but City kept their composure and held strong. We were lacking confidence and that was my main worry. Then Daehli for me who was in contention for man of the match and always looked dangerous set up the attack for Morrison to give us a shock one nil lead to City. :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
From then on I thought we controlled most of the first half including Gunnarson having a header saved by Wednesdays keeper that looked like going in.

The second half Wednesday started again brightly,we looked all over the place,with no shape and they scored to make it 1-1 or shall I say Morrison scored an own goal to make it 1-1. :shock:
Now I was worried as I expected us to crumble but we never and we took the game to them,this to me was the most pleasing part of the day.
We started to put the pressure on them and we it paid off,with Pilkington making it 2-1 to City :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
From then on City looked good and with Ravel Morrison now on the pitch, who by the way looked sheer class,it was looking more likely City to score another one.

A Great 3pts,badly needed to give Confidence to our team and fans. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Russell Slade watched the match from the main Grandstand,expected to be in charge for the Brighton game, he took notes all the way through the game,he must be pleased with the class of players he can manage.

I actually thought Sheff Wed looked an ordinary side,but you can only beat whats in front of you and City did :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Everything was better today.i.e performance & atmosphere. Morrison's quality was there for all to see. Onwards & upwards now :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Last edited by citygardens73 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Much better performace all round,thought we should have taken some of the chances in the second half though :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:00 pm

I hope Slade took note that Whittingham is shit and was at fault for not clearing the for their goal.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Great to see a bit of passion today :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Magna and Pickington had good games (took a great save to deny Pilckington before he scored in almost the same circumstances albeit on the right side of the goal,brought it down well and found the gap to arrow the ball home) agreed Ravel Morrison looks the real deal hope he is in the starting line up next game, Noone seemed quiet which i put to lack of match fitness and looking forward to him getting up to steam,all in all thought City showed glimpses of what we are capable of now we can climb the table. :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Wednesday weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer (Sheffield United are the blades after all), but there again, to ride the disappointment of an own goal to give parity, a great achievement. Character is as important as skill sometimes and the Bluebirds showed plenty of maturity to get over the line.

Russell will have plenty to work with when he takes over. 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. Still early in the season so loads to look forward to. :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:08 pm

A much better performance and eventually a deserved win. I was particularly pleased with the way we kept the ball in the opposition half, especially before half time.

It seems a little bizarre, but Fabio was the one who made the difference. Apart from the goal line clearance, his overall speed made it difficult for Wednesday to get forward with any conviction too.

After Ravel had been on for 2 minutes, you could see that he should be playing at a higher level than the other 21 players on the pitch! He could be really useful over the next 3 months, but I suspect that if he doesn't end up as a guest of Her Majesty in January, a team at a higher level may be after him.

All in all, I'm much happier this evening. I think perhaps Slade can really do something with this raw material.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:18 pm

That was our best performance over 90 minutes this season, in my opinion. This game could be key, when we look back at our season next summer.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Good write up Annis I'd have daelhi as motm for me tho

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:07 pm

great write up annis,it was great to see some passion back again and a much needed 3pts.
great to see fabio back,we miss him at the back and in attack.brayford making his forward surges was good to see again,very subdued in previous games.pilkington and daehli played well but have to give my man of match to gunnar,pride,passion and pure grit.everywhere on the pitch.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Ravel was a million times better than every other player on that pitch, what a sight! Doesn't take away from incredible performances from Noone, Fabio, Dæhli and Brayford!

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:09 pm

You know what my favourite moment of the match was? Noone getting into that scuffle in the second half! About time we saw some City players showing some f*cking passion.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Gunnarson gave the ball away too many times with his wayward passing,Fabio,Manga, Brayford MOTM not much between them :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:22 pm

citygardens73 wrote:

Everything was better today.i.e performance & atmosphere. Morrison's quality was there for all to see. Onwards & upwards now :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Agree, but only after we socred. Second half felt actually like a football match! Ravel was outstanding, but whole team deserve a good word. Even if individually some players didn't have the best game. I think we can say all of them worked hard for the win!

I hope this is the beginning of better times on the pitch.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:30 pm

My sons birthday today so couldn't get to the game sounds like everyone is happy thats what winning games does . Although im not overly happy about slades appointment I am now excited to see what he gives us. The guy deserves his chance now hope he takes us forward he must be chomping at the bit to work with the players we have good luck to him.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:41 pm

KWest wrote:You know what my favourite moment of the match was? Noone getting into that scuffle in the second half! About time we saw some City players showing some f*cking passion.

Haha yes! Was thinking, takes some nerve to have a scrap with a scouser ;)

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:11 pm

At last a deserved win and a 90 minute effort (maybe minus the first 15). The players look fit today, so overall it´s probable not that bad. Building confidence, that´s what´s needed now. A new manager with less pressure on his shoulders might serve the team well. Great to see Ravel on fire from the first minute. Daehli has been good in 2 matches in a row now, and Noone will only get better with a couple more matches in his belt. It doesn´t take much to turn pessimism to optimism, does it :)

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Sorry Fabio was man of the match by far!!!! Outstanding

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 pm

So are the players a month from fitness or was that just gloom and doom? :bluescarf:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Thought it was 2-1 Staff :lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

salopiancity wrote:Agree Wednesday looked ordinary but they've only conceded four goals in the league are were in the playoff places. Overall a marked improvement today. The big test will be against Forest. :ayatollah:

Yes the bigger tests are to come starting with Brighton away,then the real test is Forest home,but today gives us hope :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 pm

citygardens73 wrote:

Ravel Morrison is pure class :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:48 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:Good write up Annis I'd have daelhi as motm for me tho

For me it was close, I chose Gunnarson as I believe he is a leader and worked hard today,but Daehli really shone today :thumbright:

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:57 pm

leebeano69 wrote:great write up annis,it was great to see some passion back again and a much needed 3pts.
great to see fabio back,we miss him at the back and in attack.brayford making his forward surges was good to see again,very subdued in previous games.pilkington and daehli played well but have to give my man of match to gunnar,pride,passion and pure grit.everywhere on the pitch.

It was great to see players finally playing in their right positions :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:09 am

Although there have been some comments that Sheff Wed were an ordinary side today, and I was told they were missing 2 midfielders due to injury, they came here with 3 wins and a draw from their 4 away games so far, so I would have taken a draw beforehand TBH, especially after Tuesday's awful display. The key for me was our work rate, and not allowing Wednesday too much time on the ball - I was particularly impressed by both our full-backs on this, but it was apparent throughout the team - even Kenwynne Jones. Also, as others have said, the fact that we didn't crumble once we conceded the equaliser was a major plus. I look forward to seeing Noone & Ravel Morrison once match fit. Just one thing in that I hope Connolly was injured as he has been one of our best players this season, and didn't deserve not to make the squad today otherwise..

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 pm

vikinblue wrote:Gunnarson gave the ball away too many times with his wayward passing,Fabio,Manga, Brayford MOTM not much between them :bluescarf:

I thought Gunnarson was a leader out there yesterday :ayatollah:

Re: MY VIEW " FINALLY SOME HOPE AT LAST "

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:59 pm

Absolutely, gunnerson was top. As was fabio, showed real character. If dikacoi isn't fit by now then for me, he hasn't shown the professionalism or commitment to take up the anchor role. Gunner has been there and done. Right now let's go with what we know

Re: MY VIEW " FINALLY SOME HOPE AT LAST "

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:04 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Absolutely, gunnerson was top. As was fabio, showed real character. If dikacoi isn't fit by now then for me, he hasn't shown the professionalism or commitment to take up the anchor role. Gunner has been there and done. Right now let's go with what we know

I thought it was one of Gunnarsons best games this season, I also think he would make a great Capt.
As to Fabio, my player of the season so far :ayatollah: