Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Russell Slade- " A Man Who Goes The Extra Mile "

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Russell Slade- A Man Who Goes The Extra Mile
and that's something which is a minimum requirement for every player he selects for a match. RS is known for many things and from what I understand as a manager he is much closer to Dave Jones than either MM or OGS.

Just like DJ you won't find him spending hours on the training ground coaching players, however his teams are always well prepared with one guiding principal above ALL else - WE NEVER GIVE UP.

Again like DJ he believes in a 4-4-2 system with "pairings" through defence, midfield and attack, subject to injury and suspension, and that fitness levels are as high as possible to ensure the players can cope with a Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday schedule. He is well known for being seen out with his players, not on the piss, but far more likely at a Chinese Restaurant and it's this sort of involvement which has secured loyalty amongst his players, in particular Yeovil and Orient where he has had the most success.

Unlike OGS where it had become the norm for us to change our team becauseof the opposition, RS has a mindset which says let the opposition worry about us and he sends his teams out to impose themselves on the opposition. Again and unlike both MM & OGS his teams are known for pass and move football, getting the ball forward quickly without hoofing the ball over and over again.

RS has just under 680 games under his belt as a manager and whilst all of these have been in the lower divisions he has developed a very solid reputation and maybe, just maybe this is his time to have a go at a higher level.

We all know our club has become something of a circus of the last few seasons but hopefully in RS we at last have a manager with a solid grounding and a hunger to achieve at a higher level, certainly his first interviews have, in my opinion, shown him to be a confident man and if interviews are anything to go on I think he may well surprise many of us.

So welcome to the circus Russell and I for one cannot wait to see how you do, I've got a good feeling about this appointment and despite our worst start in 8 seasons at this level I fancy you will turn things around.

I hope as fans we go the extra mile and give him a chance to turn things around for us.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: Russell Slade- " A Man Who Goes The Extra Mile "

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable read, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Nice post - hope he does the business for us :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Gary, Ive enjoyed the read as usual, but please leave Dave Jones name out of it :lol: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Not happy to hear he is a fan of the dreaded 4-4-2. Too old school and simply doesn't fit our squad. Part of ogs problem was stubbornly sticking with 4-4-2 which resulted in players played out of position. Hope mr slade pucks formation to fit the squad rather than the other way around .
Pleased to hear he is known for pass and move football, no more hoofball please!!
Last edited by LonCar on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Great read :thumbright:

Very impressive that he spends some of his free time with the players.

I hope he proves us all wrong.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gary, Ive enjoyed the read as usual, but please leave Dave Jones name out of it :lol: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

One thing for certain Annis and that's RS will not be talking about "People In This Part Of The World". ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:53 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Great read :thumbright:

Very impressive that he spends some of his free time with the players.

I hope he proves us all wrong.

Word has it that he ALWAYS picks up the bill as well.

Top guy by all accounts.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:55 pm

LonCar wrote:Not happy to hear he is a fan of the dreaded 4-4-2. Too old school and simply doesn't fit our squad. Part of ogs problem was stubbornly sticking with 4-4-2 which resulted in players played out of position. Hope mr slade pucks formation to fit the squad rather than the other way around .
Pleased to hear he is known for pass and move football, no more hoofball please!!

How can you say that? He was often playing 4-5-1 and that was why the strikers were out of position

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:57 pm

JayCee wrote:
LonCar wrote:Not happy to hear he is a fan of the dreaded 4-4-2. Too old school and simply doesn't fit our squad. Part of ogs problem was stubbornly sticking with 4-4-2 which resulted in players played out of position. Hope mr slade pucks formation to fit the squad rather than the other way around .

How can you say that? He was often playing 4-5-1 and that was why the strikers were out of position

Correct and RS is ALL about square pegs in square holes, and that's a huge step forward in my opinion.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:08 pm

JayCee wrote:

I must have missed that because i can't remember that he started with the formation once. I can remember that he started with 4-3-3 like at Blackburn. Granted he changed his formation a lot during games and at times it was confusing.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:14 pm

What worries me is Scott being head coach, even more so if Slade doesn't spend much time on the training pitch. I prefer a manager that knows the players strengths and weaknesses first hand.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Wish him all the best. Even Mourinho would have a job on his hands with the shambles we are so I'm willing to give him time to sort it out. However, bit worried about playing 442 at this level, think we could be in danger of being overrun and not convinced we have the central midfielders to get away with it.

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpyD3xYjDg

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gary, Ive enjoyed the read as usual, but please leave Dave Jones name out of it :lol: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

DAVE JONES DAVE JONES DAVE JONES DAVE JONES DAVE JONES :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:56 pm

castleblue wrote:Russell Slade- A Man Who Goes The Extra Mile
and that's something which is a minimum requirement for every player he selects for a match. RS is known for many things and from what I understand as a manager he is much closer to Dave Jones than either MM or OGS.

Just like DJ you won't find him spending hours on the training ground coaching players, however his teams are always well prepared with one guiding principal above ALL else - WE NEVER GIVE UP.

Again like DJ he believes in a 4-4-2 system with "pairings" through defence, midfield and attack, subject to injury and suspension, and that fitness levels are as high as possible to ensure the players can cope with a Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday schedule. He is well known for being seen out with his players, not on the piss, but far more likely at a Chinese Restaurant and it's this sort of involvement which has secured loyalty amongst his players, in particular Yeovil and Orient where he has had the most success.

Unlike OGS where it had become the norm for us to change our team becauseof the opposition, RS has a mindset which says let the opposition worry about us and he sends his teams out to impose themselves on the opposition. Again and unlike both MM & OGS his teams are known for pass and move football, getting the ball forward quickly without hoofing the ball over and over again.

RS has just under 680 games under his belt as a manager and whilst all of these have been in the lower divisions he has developed a very solid reputation and maybe, just maybe this is his time to have a go at a higher level.

We all know our club has become something of a circus of the last few seasons but hopefully in RS we at last have a manager with a solid grounding and a hunger to achieve at a higher level, certainly his first interviews have, in my opinion, shown him to be a confident man and if interviews are anything to go on I think he may well surprise many of us.

So welcome to the circus Russell and I for one cannot wait to see how you do, I've got a good feeling about this appointment and despite our worst start in 8 seasons at this level I fancy you will turn things around.

I hope as fans we go the extra mile and give him a chance to turn things around for us.

Great post as usual, I have my doubts and will always feel Pullis was the right man for us at the right time, but so far Russel has done well in the interviews, let's hope he can get the players doing well on the pitch :thumbup:

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 am

The topic should have in brackets except when he's out jogging

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 am

I really hope he isn't wedded to 4-4-2 . It's so limited. However, I'm afraid Kenwyne isn't the one to play on his own up front. Too static.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:44 am

bluemun wrote:I really hope he isn't wedded to 4-4-2 . It's so limited. However, I'm afraid Kenwyne isn't the one to play on his own up front. Too static.

Too often jones as won headers and no midfielders or wingers have raced on to latch on to the flick on. It's old fashioned and simple yet we can't play the basic way.