Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea's Success

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:43 am

How much does it still hurt that our little brother from down the road are so much more successful than us? I never thought the gap between the two clubs could grow as much as it has done and it still doesn't fit comfortably with me in fact I hate seeing them up there and us struggling in comparison! With our current set up I just can't see it changing for a very long time! Have you accepted this or does it hurt you?

Re: Swansea's Success

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 am

Yet another thread :o

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 am

Lanwood wrote:How much does it still hurt that our little brother from down the road are so much more successful than us? I never thought the gap between the two clubs could grow as much as it has done and it still doesn't fit comfortably with me in fact I hate seeing them up there and us struggling in comparison! With our current set up I just can't see it changing for a very long time! Have you accepted this or does it hurt you?

To be fair, the gap is widening not between Swansea and Cardiff but the premier league and championship, I don't have a crystal ball but I would guess 2 of the 3 that came up this season will be relegated come May, it's the way it is, the beauty of the way Swansea go about their business is that if the buffers were to fall off which I can't see for a number of seasons, then without debt they'd be in poll position to come straight back up. Unfortunately, you may not like it, but this is how it's going to be for many many years.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:01 am

whiterock wrote:
Lanwood wrote:How much does it still hurt that our little brother from down the road are so much more successful than us? I never thought the gap between the two clubs could grow as much as it has done and it still doesn't fit comfortably with me in fact I hate seeing them up there and us struggling in comparison! With our current set up I just can't see it changing for a very long time! Have you accepted this or does it hurt you?

To be fair, the gap is widening not between Swansea and Cardiff but the premier league and championship, I don't have a crystal ball but I would guess 2 of the 3 that came up this season will be relegated come May, it's the way it is, the beauty of the way Swansea go about their business is that if the buffers were to fall off which I can't see for a number of seasons, then without debt they'd be in poll position to come straight back up. Unfortunately, you may not like it, but this is how it's going to be for many many years.

Wow. Having a chat with yourself!!!! :lol: :lol: sad man :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:11 am

I'm getting sick of these Swansea loving threads.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:14 am

Sometimes in life you have to accept things if you like it or not.

Swansea as a football club are streets ahead of us and it looks like they will be for a time yet. Of course things can change over a season but don't put your mortgage on it.

I do believe though that if we caught up with the Jacks we out of he 2 clubs would be the one to go that step further.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 am

nubbsy wrote:I'm getting sick of these Swansea loving threads.

must be closet swans fans as every other day someone makes post how great they are ! :o i know its a football forum but its about CCFC and the posts are not informative either! just at a scfc love in? :roll:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Sometimes in life you have to accept things if you like it or not.

Swansea as a football club are streets ahead of us and it looks like they will be for a time yet. Of course things can change over a season but don't put your mortgage on it.

I do believe though that if we caught up with the Jacks we out of he 2 clubs would be the one to go that step further.

Correct on both counts while they are way ahead now if it was to change we are more able to go that step further! :old:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Sometimes in life you have to accept things if you like it or not.

What makes you think cardiff would go further ?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:30 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Correct on both counts while they are way ahead now if it was to change we are more able to go that step further! :old:

How would you go a step further ?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 am

Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

can expand groound again, you been trying for 4yrs to build council extension! fact is a club needs bigger ground to compete uou rely largely on premier monies! large fan base , being capital makes a lot of difference so can attract bigger players , but guess you will rubbish things as is swans way! :laughing6:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:49 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

can expand groound again, you been trying for 4yrs to build council extension! fact is a club needs bigger ground to compete uou rely largely on premier monies! large fan base , being capital makes a lot of difference so can attract bigger players , but guess you will rubbish things as is swans way! :laughing6:

The season cardiff were in the prem, Sunderland with average crowds of 40000 had a turn over of £104 million and swansea with average crowds of 20500 had a turn over of £98 million. So Sunderland with much bigger crowds and a much bigger club historically have only a £6 million difference.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:54 am

Agree with the OP but why another Swansea loving thread?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 am

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Agree with the OP but why another Swansea loving thread?

Because what else is there to post about . no new players ,Tan not willing to open his wallet . Bigger and smaller Clubs bringing in quality signings with ambition to at least gamble on gaining promotion .
Just a thought

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 am

The truth is doesn't matter how big a club is i.e Leeds, both Sheffield clubs, glasgow rangers and many others, if you don't have the right people in running the club, you will struggle. That's what Swansea have and it's no accident we are where we are.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 am

Whereami wrote:The truth is doesn't matter how big a club is i.e Leeds, both Sheffield clubs, glasgow rangers and many others, if you don't have the right people in running the club, you will struggle. That's what Swansea have and it's no accident we are where we are.

You have been three different names on this thread now :thumbup:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:08 am

griff105 wrote:
Whereami wrote:The truth is doesn't matter how big a club is i.e Leeds, both Sheffield clubs, glasgow rangers and many others, if you don't have the right people in running the club, you will struggle. That's what Swansea have and it's no accident we are where we are.

You have been three different names on this thread now :thumbup:

Pardon :?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Football teams are built on solid foundations, a bigger fan base helps but it's more about the philosophy and Ethos that you've got wrong, Mr Tan chucked a lot at it last season only for you to crash and burn, my advice is to forget the wallet and build the team from the bottom up, forget named players just get the right ones

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:30 am

No it doesn't hurt, I don't even think of them any more apart from when I see threads like this one on the various forums.

What I will say though is, I don't understand this "we can go one step further" malarkey. This prehistoric billy big bollox attitude is what got us into this mess in the first place. It's a redundant notion. Teams don't get their main income from the crowds anymore, so it makes very little difference these days. The one thing we had over them, was this self imposed "sleeping giant" tag, which probably could have been accurate back then. But now the money has come in from broadcasting, we are just another footballing minnow in the great scheme of things. They will be above us for possibly decades to come and will out gun us on nearly every aspect. We need to get used to it. I have.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:56 am

It doesn't hurt any more. It use to but I have excepted them now as a PL side and us as a championship side. You can not compare the two clubs any more. They are Wakes PL team and we are the countries second tier team. I have more Distain for Bristol City to be honest. If they get I to the PL we will have them both on each side of us :o :bluebird:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:57 am

I mean Wales not wakes :lol:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Whereami wrote:

Because I have been in crowds of 50,000 and above twice watching Cardiff at NP. That tells me we have the potential. Swansea have got no where near that else after 5 years in the premier they would have expanded.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

The season cardiff were in the prem, Sunderland with average crowds of 40000 had a turn over of £104 million and swansea with average crowds of 20500 had a turn over of £98 million. So Sunderland with much bigger crowds and a much bigger club historically have only a £6 million difference.

Yea twice as many fans you had lot more premier money vss finished way above them, gate receipts mmmm no contest!! Or uou saying yours are similar? :shock: Don't go for stats as can use them anyway you like ! :: :thumbup:

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Swansea are a small club and thats a fact whatever they do.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Whereami wrote:

Because I have been in crowds of 50,000 and above twice watching Cardiff at NP. That tells me we have the potential. Swansea have got no where near that else after 5 years in the premier they would have expanded.

The reason the Liberty hasn't been expanded yet, is the result of two issues :- 1 the finances must be in place ( they are know) and the infrastructure roads etc ( now at the final stage ) the expansion will happen and the only thing that will put a stop to it is if the team look like getting relegated, which is unlikely.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Whereami wrote:

Potential for what though? That is just potential to have a big crowd rather than potential to have success, they certainly don't go hand in hand anymore.

Say hope against hope we get to where they are and we pull 20,000 more than them (I don't actually think this is the case, id say we have the potential consistently for 40,000 and them for maybe 32,000 and that gap closing every season they are there and we are not- but just for arguments sake).

It means we get an extra £6m per season (after tax) for attendance than they do. To put that into perspective, next year it is estimated that income for the bottom side will be 120m. £6m is certainly not enough to make the step from top 8 to the Champions League. As i said before, its a redundant notion that for some reason fans of today still think has significance.

Forget about them would be the best thing to do.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:47 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Whereami wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yea twice as many fans you had lot more premier money vss finished way above them, gate receipts mmmm no contest!! Or uou saying yours are similar? :shock: Don't go for stats as can use them anyway you like ! :: :thumbup:

Haven't got a clue what your talking about.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

I find it amusing how you are all trying to come up with ways to keep you thinking that your still a bigger club. It must be killing you inside that a team that was miles behind you is currently miles ahead of you. For the last 4 years people like Pembroke Allan are constantly trying to find ways to make out that cardiff are not far behind. I'm still waiting for the annual thread " Swansea are going to get relegated, they are going to get found out in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th year". I suppose the more times you say it the more times you will believe it . It must be eating you all up inside.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Trefelin06 wrote:I find it amusing how you are all trying to come up with ways to keep you thinking that your still a bigger club. It must be killing you inside that a team that was miles behind you is currently miles ahead of you. For the last 4 years people like Pembroke Allan are constantly trying to find ways to make out that cardiff are not far behind. I'm still waiting for the annual thread " Swansea are going to get relegated, they are going to get found out in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th year". I suppose the more times you say it the more times you will believe it . It must be eating you all up inside.

You must be pretty sad to spend your weekend afternoon on another team's forum. Get a hobby pal.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:Yet another thread :o

I know its annoying isn't it.