Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SLADE: SAYS TOP SIX IS THE AIM FOR CITY & CITY ARE READY

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 am

" RUSSELL SLADE SAYS CITY ARE READY & TOP 6 IS THE AIM "

Cardiff came through their six pre-season matches unbeaten, winning four, scoring 11 goals with six conceded, and go into the new league season full of confidence

Wednesday 4th August 2015

By Terry Phillips

Russell Slade insists his Bluebirds are ready for their Championship challenge, which starts against Fulham at home on Saturday.

“Top six is the aim despite any ins and outs which happen along the way,” said Slade. “We have a tight group who are focused on moving forward and we cannot allow any distractions.”

Slade’s team start against Fulham and then travel to QPR and Blackburn, as well as entertaining Wolves and Nottingham Forest before the end of August.

'Players are enjoying their football'

It’s clear Cardiff City’s manager is virtually set on his starting line-up for the clash with Fulham, particularly the back five.

Goalkeeper Simon Moore, Lee Peltier, Sean Morrison, Matt Connolly and Scott Malone started together in the last two pre-season fixtures and they will form the defensive unit against Fulham.

“Overall, I am happier with the group we have now than at the start of this summer,” said Slade. “Pre-season has gone quickly, but we have worked on a lot of things over the last five or so weeks. Fitness levels look good, we are working from a good structure and the players are enjoying their football.

Re: SLADE: SAYS TOP SIX IS THE AIM FOR CITY & CITY ARE READY

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:09 am

Don't give us a sore neck this season. I needed a neck brace after every game I witnessed last season, almost made a claim against Slade for loss of earnings :sladein: :sladeout: :?:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 am

Slades sniffing glue if he thinks we are top six, although I'd love him to prove me wrong :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:17 am

He cant really say he wants to finish half way.

Every manager will be saying the same

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:27 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:Slades sniffing glue if he thinks we are top six, although I'd love him to prove me wrong :bluescarf:

It is just propaganda coming out of the club with Slade the spokesperson.

Thinly veiled what he is saying is that the club will be happy with mid table championship survival as we are now close to our budget requirements thansk to conning 10K St holders.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:28 am

Sometimes Dreams come true

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:32 am

Pre season game results are meaningless and the real test starts on Saturday against Fulham.

Most managers will say that they are aiming to get in the top 6 but getting anywhere near it is another thing. Unfortunately I think Slade will be left disappointed as I cannot see us finishing in the top half of the table but it would be great if proved wrong.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 am

ThomasC wrote:Don't give us a sore neck this season. I needed a neck brace after every game I witnessed last season, almost made a claim against Slade for loss of earnings :sladein: :sladeout: :?:

:lol:
At least I came away from the games refreshed and well rested!
:sleepy2:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:57 am

Do any of you honestly think we will be top 6 with Malone and Morrison in the back 4 and without Marshall in goal. If any of you do please tell me why ?

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 am

What's so special about the top 6 ? Even if we get there it probably means that we'll get knocked out in the play-off lottery. I'd be more excited if we aimed for a top 2 position, however remote a prospect that might be.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:Slades sniffing glue if he thinks we are top six, although I'd love him to prove me wrong :bluescarf:

If its propaganda then its the same propaganda for any club in our division, they will all be pushing positive messages.

We'd be pulling our hair out if he said we will finish mid table.....

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:18 am

Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

If its propaganda then its the same propaganda for any club in our division, they will all be pushing positive messages.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am

:bluescarf: :sladeout: :sladein:
Let's see if the Taxi Driver gets the right fare !!!
I would say looking at the 1st mth of fixtures are going to be hard. Look at the performances & Pts after 10 games then make judgements.
Last season I wanted him out, with NEW players in & some Great ones gone... Let's give a bit of leeway.
SO on Saturday & future games lets BACK the BOYS in BLUE :thumbup: :notworthy:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Russ - that gave me a good laugh this afternoon.

My aim is to be the filling in a Mila Kunis/Kate Upton sandwich but that's not going to happen either!

In fact, there's probably more chance of that happening than a top six finish under Slade.

:sladeout:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:20 pm

:sladein: :bluebird: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:24 pm

:sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:24 pm

:sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

:sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein: :sladein:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

In the year we went up as Champions I had us to finish 10-12th - so pleasantly surprised.

As many teams have proven, over the years, its not necessarily quality of individual players that gets you promoted. Its whether your players gel and play as a team.

I would prefer a group of average players (who play well as a team) to a group of quality players that dont gel, have egos, and dont play as a team.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
:sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:In the year we went up as Champions I had us to finish 10-12th - so pleasantly surprised.

As many teams have proven, over the years, its not necessarily quality of individual players that gets you promoted. Its whether your players gel and play as a team.

I would prefer a group of average players (who play well as a team) to a group of quality players that dont gel, have egos, and dont play as a team.

You clearly don't support our last manager's philosophy then.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Thinly veiled what he is saying is that the club will be happy with mid table championship survival as we are now close to our budget requirements thansk to conning 10K St holders.

You on the glue as well? Conning 10k season ticket holders?? whats that all about?

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:In the year we went up as Champions I had us to finish 10-12th - so pleasantly surprised.

Just look at what OGS assembled for proof of that! We finished 11th last year, with a disjointed squad, a club still realing from the after effects and negativity from the re-brand. So with a now settled squad, who seem content, who are fitter than last year and with a back room staff who seem to know what their doing, then surely a top 6 finish is achievable :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:21 pm

If Slade genuinely believes top 6 is likely, then great, but I think he is, as other posters gave suggested, trying to be positive.

I just wish managers would avoid making statements like this. He could have spoken about team Unity, work ethic, philosophy, tactical set-up, etc. and still portray a forward-thinking approach. As it goes, if he fails to achieve top 6, he will look a bit silly.

By the way, I don't think the squad is anywhere near ready to form the basis of a PL side. The squad was stronger imo the year of promotion last time. Just saying. :old:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:Don't give us a sore neck this season. I needed a neck brace after every game I witnessed last season, almost made a claim against Slade for loss of earnings :sladein: :sladeout: :?:

:lol:
At least I came away from the games refreshed and well rested!
:sleepy2:

:lol: I honestly don't believe we will play the way we did last. Truly dire stuff, new season now and it's got to be better, no mention from Slade about wanting to play a better brand of football.

I want entertainment regardless of top 6 or not :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm sure he is indeed trying to be positive but as some have said on here he is simply making a rod for his own back.

No doubt he is being put under a lot of pressure from above to be challenging for a top 6 place despite his hands being tied financially but I'm sure he knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed his contract, and if he didn't then he's an idiot.

I bet he's already had a good look at his contract to see what he's entitled to when he gets sacked.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

That's true if they really thought we had any chance we would be saying we expect to go up automatically or at least aiming for it.

Top six is more of a pipe dream than an expectation, but you never know ???

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 pm

What team has ever been promoted without a real manager? A bit like the immaculate conception, a good excuse, story but no real substance. :sladeout: :happy1: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:17 pm

That was a better squad than this one and a better Manager IMO.........

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:56 pm

You never know, I was expecting Bournemouth to romp the league and win the title.