Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SUPPORTING THE ACADEMY

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:02 am

So we the fans pay to run the academy, they then develop talent that gets sold at the first possible chance of a profit and that money then goes to pay PR's bonus plus six figure wages to people such as Keith Harris,also our new media manger, our extra stadium manager, our extra call centre manager.
Seems like a good investment to me, think I'll write a cheque now.
Surely one less Bentley a year would pay for the academy, how many cars can one man drive at a time.

Re: SUPPORTING THE ACADEMY

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 am

And the worse thing is we are letting him get away with it WHAT CAN WE DO

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:12 am

Gwyn,everything about the club at the moment is a complete piss take.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:15 am

Aye indeed - he's effectively saying "Fans, please bail out the academy whilst I and my friends take millions out of the club, and also sell the best academy players for many millions"

No change. I'd be happy to support the academy by turning up and watching their matches etc (if I had the time, that is), however I certainly would never dream of paying for the academy whilst millions is being drained from the club by the higher ups.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:20 am

Surely the academy has been one of if not thee biggest cash cow at the club over the last few years Ramsey/gunter etc and I think Sam said it will take £1m a year to run (sure I heard this) so off those two players alone have earned the club in the region of £7m serious questions need asking, why are we being asked to support something which obviously supports itself

Morning all LOL

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 am

Could you explain how the fans are bailing out the Academy?

Talking of Academies I see Cardiff City are the only Club with Welsh Based Academy Status. With the whole of the population of Wales at your disposal do you feel you are actually churning out enough players for the sums of money involved and invested in nuturing young players?

I note that Cardiff City don't play reserve team football which is rather strange if you have Academy status, what benefit is there to a young player after he reaches past Schlorship level.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Well Monday nights meeting with Porky's Pete should be interesting,,,,,i can't wait! :|

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 pm

im sure they really think we are all a bunch of mugs! just complete and utter arrogance on the clubs part once again. makes me feckin' seeth!!

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Well I don't know how this has come about to be honest. The funding for the Academy was ring-fenced at one time. It had it's own set budget that was kept separate from the rest of the club. That method has paid off with the Academy being the single most money maker at the club.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 pm

How does an Academy make a profit apart from transfer fees or compensation payments?

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:46 pm

TNT wrote:How does an Academy make a profit apart from transfer fees or compensation payments?

Basically an Academy takes kids and conditions them into footballers. Then when they are ready they get fed through to the first team or sold or both.
Players like Aaron Ramsey was signed into the Academy then after being developed there he moved up to the first team and then sold. That's how the Academy makes its profit. I thought that was quite obvious really though.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:53 pm

TNT wrote:Could you explain how the fans are bailing out the Academy?

The club have asked the fans to pay for the academy (by direct debit, I think each month)

(Whilst Ridsdale and the other high-earners take out almost £100,000s per month...)

TNT wrote:Talking of Academies I see Cardiff City are the only Club with Welsh Based Academy Status. With the whole of the population of Wales at your disposal do you feel you are actually churning out enough players for the sums of money involved and invested in nuturing young players?

I do, definitely.

It's generated well over (I believe) £15m worth of players, and hasn't cost anywhere near that sum to run. I think it costs £250,000 per season to run?

TNT wrote:I note that Cardiff City don't play reserve team football which is rather strange if you have Academy status, what benefit is there to a young player after he reaches past Schlorship level.

Cardiff City does play reserve team football. Just not in a league.

We used to be, a few seasons ago. But the club kept getting messed around by their opponents pulling out at the last minute etc. Hence Cardiff now just organise friendlies instead.