Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: VINCENT TAN AND KEN CHOO LOOK AT . . .

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:12 pm

UPDATED :ayatollah:

Vincent Tan and Ken Choo are looking at next season's season ticket prices.

Mehmet Dalman confirmed on the weekend that the decision on prices for season tickets next season lay with Tan and Choo.

Both men are considering a number of proposals that have been put forward.

It looks as though we will find out in the next few weeks what the prices will be for next season.

With the possibility of reaching the play offs still achievable I believe that this is partly the reason for not announcing the prices earlier.

I hope that if there is no promotion and we play in the Championship next season then there is a reduction in prices across the board, furthermore I would like to see a loyalty discount for current season ticket holders and a considerable drop in the cost for child season ticket prices.

With Vincent Tan on a PR offensive at present I believe another way to bridge a gap between the club and the fans would be a reduction in prices.

Let's hope that one of the proposals being considered is a price reduction and if so then next season fans buy in their thousands and we can get attendances back to somewhere near to what we have been used too in the past five seasons at the CCS.

Re: VINCENT TAN AND KEN CHOO LOOKING AT . . .

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I like the sound of a loyalty reduction,dedicated fans should be rewarded the most.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Carl, For me on what they decide,will say a lot on how the Loyal fans are rewarded for sticking with our club no matter what has happened over the last 5 years :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 pm

theclaw wrote:I like the sound of a loyalty reduction,dedicated fans should be rewarded the most.
seen this a few times today, not for my personal benefit am I saying this but it is a fantastic idea and kids 50 quid is a must

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:29 pm

theclaw wrote:I like the sound of a loyalty reduction,dedicated fans should be rewarded the most.

Agree the people who are there week In week out deserve the best savings I'm all for new fans at the stadium but honour the season ticket holders who have been there years through thick and thin.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:31 pm

This is how I believe it should be done -

Every current season ticket holder gets a 40% discount for next season to reward thier loyalty (quite frankly we should have medals for renewing after last season).

Anyone buying the remaining 8 home games in a block gets 20% discount on next season.

First 2,000 new st holders get a 10% discount.

Next 2,000 get a 5% discount.

The figures are rough but that's the general idea. Apart from what happens on the pitch, I reckon this would be the best way to improve crowds for the remainder of this season and next.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Carl, agree with what you say.

At least current season ticket holders should be rewarded, as last year was the first year that season tickets were sold without the possibility of Premier League football since we got promoted. Those who renewed did so knowing we'd be in the Championship.

A reduction would be great, and would increase the numbers likely to renew significantly.

Either way, I'll be renewing - but the club need to think very carefully about this, and it sounds like they are now I've read this :thumbright:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Maybe a discount for every year you've been a ST holder (with a maximum of say, 5 years)

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:37 pm

I think they could put them up to 1000 pound and the loyal fans would renew, bare in mind tan and the board knows this. How shocked would we be if they went up in price. :-D

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
seen this a few times today, not for my personal benefit am I saying this but it is a fantastic idea and kids 50 quid is a must

I agree with the £50 for under 16's but anywhere in the ground not just the Family stand.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:56 pm

What Tan, Choo and Dalman need to do is go to Germany and visit some Bundesliga clubs. Discover what they are doing which is making thier system the envy of Europe.

And us fans need to take a leaf out of thier book too. We are not as involved and active with our clubs as the German fans are. Our default position is to look down on fans that make an effort, create new songs, organise flags etc etc, some fans are too cool to even wear colours to games FFS! The club needs to get us more involved and we need to get more involved.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:49 pm

If the average price of a season ticket is currently £350 with say 12,000 season ticket holders, this accounts for approx £4.2m of income.

To put this into perspective, our revenue in the last accounts was c.£80m.

Therefore season ticket sales account for just 5% of income.

If season tickets were slashed to, for example £200 (finger in the air figure), then an increase to 21,000 would be needed to achieve the same income. In reality this wouldn't happen, both from a financial standpoint or a fan support perspective, however the sentiment they could show to fans would go a long way to attracting more fans in can only help the "lets put the past behind us" viewpoint.

There needs to be a big sway for getting fans through the door, and I think it'll take something drastic by way of the pricing to achieve it. The revenue is such a small part of the overall picture, the club can afford to look out for the fans.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 pm

harold pinta wrote:This is how I believe it should be done -

Every current season ticket holder gets a 40% discount for next season to reward thier loyalty (quite frankly we should have medals for renewing after last season).

Anyone buying the remaining 8 home games in a block gets 20% discount on next season.

The figures are rough but that's the general idea. Apart from what happens on the pitch, I reckon this would be the best way to improve crowds for the remainder of this season and next.

40% discount would make my season ticket in the ninnian stand £180 instead of £299
Imo £299 is a fair price
My 9year old grandson sits next to me at a cost of £ 269 this is not a fair price , he s had his season ticket for 6 seasons allready in his short life
I would prefer the club reduced the kids tickets as they are the future of the club
my grandson is city mad , has loads of city clothes and kits and bags etc , the club needs to realise its not just the ticket price thats income for them , theres thousands of £ in extras once there hooked
the club seem to only want to meet and speak with the same old usual ( elite ) fans rather than the die hard voiceless

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Carl, For me on what they decide,will say a lot on how the Loyal fans are rewarded for sticking with our club no matter what has happened over the last 5 years :ayatollah:

Annis, I agree 100% and will go further. I think the club should return to the 'proper' Ambassador-style scheme that sees long-serving fans properly 'rewarded' for they're loyalty (even back-dating membership for the 5 years you mentioned) :thumbup:

A percentage reduction (a bit like your No Claims Discount :laughing6: ) and discounts for cup games and (maybe) a set number of accompanying guests per season

It wouldn't be too difficult to set up in this computer age and it might do two things: (1) Encourage people to 'commit' in a similar way that Sam did, and (2) keep the 'regulars' happy knowing that they are being somewhat rewarded for their continuing support

Also, if they announced lower prices for next season NOW, it would send out a positive signal rather than a mercenary one should they wait to see in which League we will be playing next season!

IMHO, it would be good for both club (bums on seats) and paying supporters (a good deal for loyalty) :thumbup:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:28 pm

This year is the 1st year I have not had a season ticket in god knows how many years. I'm working a lot on Saturdays so got a membership instead, I don't mind paying £400 for myself in the Ninian but my 17 year old son who is still in school should not be paying £360 or what ever it is. Hope they drop the price for him at least, then I would renew for both of us. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:39 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:

40% discount would make my season ticket in the ninnian stand £180 instead of £299
Imo £299 is a fair price
My 9year old grandson sits next to me at a cost of £ 269 this is not a fair price , he s had his season ticket for 6 seasons allready in his short life
I would prefer the club reduced the kids tickets as they are the future of the club
my grandson is city mad , has loads of city clothes and kits and bags etc , the club needs to realise its not just the ticket price thats income for them , theres thousands of £ in extras once there hooked
the club seem to only want to meet and speak with the same old usual ( elite ) fans rather than the die hard voiceless

I completely agree with you about kids prices. If they did a £50 kids season ticket I would buy definitely buy two.

Like you say, and Sven also points out, actual ticket income alone is a relatively small at this level, when compared to other things. The club could reduce ticket prices significantly while still making some revenue from it and, far more importantly, get new fans in.
I would love our club to grasp the nettle, become pioneers, be the first club to say, yes that chap at Bayern Munich was right. Let's slash the ticket prices and get the fans in. The publicity that doing something like that would produce alone would be drum up interest.
Of course, as ever all of this is academic if we're not producing on the pitch. Ultimately that's what really puts bums on seats.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 pm

pauly_gee wrote:If the average price of a season ticket is currently £350 with say 12,000 season ticket holders, this accounts for approx £4.2m of income.

To put this into perspective, our revenue in the last accounts was c.£80m.

Therefore season ticket sales account for just 5% of income.

If season tickets were slashed to, for example £200 (finger in the air figure), then an increase to 21,000 would be needed to achieve the same income. In reality this wouldn't happen, both from a financial standpoint or a fan support perspective, however the sentiment they could show to fans would go a long way to attracting more fans in can only help the "lets put the past behind us" viewpoint.

There needs to be a big sway for getting fans through the door, and I think it'll take something drastic by way of the pricing to achieve it. The revenue is such a small part of the overall picture, the club can afford to look out for the fans.

That £80 million Included £61 million premier league tv money. We won't be getting that next year - more like £10 million. Season ticket revenue will therefore be a much bigger proportion of income.We will struggle to stay within the FFP rules. Major reductions in season ticket prices are not a realistic proposition in my view.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 am

Just to confirm the detail and to stop the mis-information being peddled:

Cardiff City FC will be paid 'parachute' payments over a four-year period from their relegation

These will be:

Year 1 (2014/15) = £24m

Year 2 (2015/16) = £19.2m

Year 3 (2016/17) = £9.6m

Year 4 (2017/18) = £9.6m

Total: (4 seasons) = £62.4m

NOTE: The new regulations for the 2015/16 season mean that Premier League clubs who are relegated at the end of the 2015/16 season will receive starting in the 2016/17 season:

• parachute payments over three, not four, seasons; but

• if a promoted club is then relegated in its first season, it will only be entitled to two years’ worth of parachute payments. For example, if recently promoted clubs Bournemouth, Watford or Norwich are relegated at the end of this 2015/16 season, they will receive only two parachute payments

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Carl, For me on what they decide,will say a lot on how the Loyal fans are rewarded for sticking with our club no matter what has happened over the last 5 years :ayatollah:

I'd just be happy with a price freeze.

I think all kids season tickets should be £100.

For all those who still go, I think there should be a cap on away games from within the club - in that a ticket is no more than £20 adult and £10 child - the club pays the difference for each game over the life of the season! :old:

Re: UPDATED: VINCENT TAN AND KEN CHOO LOOK AT . . .

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Needs to be reduced by at least 25% across the board, for me to consider it again it would have to be more as saving a fortune this season.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:03 pm

That will not get new fans in on mass. Rewards season ticket holders but the point is more fans are needed to return. Follow Bradford city model with extra incentive for season ticket holders. 25k every game

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:30 am

My boy is 16 at the end of month so I have to leave the family stand.as it stands I'm guessing my bill for new season tickets around £600.....I can't justify that for the experience I feel I get..... :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:31 pm

krabb wrote:My boy is 16 at the end of month so I have to leave the family stand.as it stands I'm guessing my bill for new season tickets around £600.....I can't justify that for the experience I feel I get..... :ayatollah:

Just lie and tell them he's 14. Just change his name, probably best to use something memorable like Bernard or Desmond so you don't forget it. You'll get another two years then. No need to thank me :thumbup:

By the way, why is the thumbs up guy purple?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm

harold pinta wrote:
krabb wrote:My boy is 16 at the end of month so I have to leave the family stand.as it stands I'm guessing my bill for new season tickets around £600.....I can't justify that for the experience I feel I get..... :ayatollah:

Just lie and tell them he's 14. Just change his name, probably best to use something memorable like Bernard or Desmond so you don't forget it. You'll get another two years then. No need to thank me :thumbup:

By the way, why is the thumbs up guy purple?

He is nearly 6ft....and looks nothing like a Bernard.....and the ayatollah looks like something off the Simpsons..... :D