Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

'Scarfgate' 3 years ago today

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 pm

" 3 YEARS AGO TODAY SCARFGATE THE DESPICABLE RED "

How ironic we are playing Brighton tomorrow considering 3 years ago today, Brighton beat us 2-0 with 95% of our fans selling their souls taking the free red scarf.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a different result, but nights like 3 years ago reminds me that our football clubs heritage, tradition, history and identity will always mean way more to me than anything else.

Forget future wins, losses, promotions and relegations, the colours and badge defines the identity of every club. Whatever the result tomorrow, I will just be pleased to see Cardiff City playing in their rightful blue colours.

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Re: 'Scarfgate' 3 years ago today

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Well said :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:44 am

That game was a real eye opener for me. When I walked through the Canton concourse and saw fans squabbling over those red scarves like scumbags arguing over crap TVs at a supermarket sale, and walked up the steps to see thousands actually wearing them I felt sick. I can't remember the game at all, I just sat there looking around me thinking what the hell is going on here, I really thought our fans were better than this. I realised that the game was up, I was in the minority, that to most people money and success is more important than pride in the history and identity of your club.

I'm was over the moon when we returned to a blue and it does feel like supporting Cardiff City now, unlike it did for those couple of years but I doubt things will ever feel like they did before that game.

I'm glad tan appears to be making some sort of an effort to put things right but I will always resent what he did.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:07 am

I can 110% assure you I did not take one of the scarves, although I saw several people with bags full of them!

However, that was then and (partly thanks to Tan's belated climb down) we move on!

Brighton is 'just another game' to us and one we need to win ;)

Bring it on and just support the 11 on the field of play, FFS! ;) :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:00 am

In amongst all the bitching that happens about the "sell outs" and such that night, I think it gets forgotten just how damn cold it was that night - a scarf was appreciated!

That, and the supporters just weren't used to be given anything for free from the club, be it red, blue, pink, or gold. You put out blue scarves, you'd get the exact same response. Nothing to do with buying in to the red, or selling out.

And again, it was a cold evening :D

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:09 am

KWest wrote:In amongst all the bitching that happens about the "sell outs" and such that night, I think it gets forgotten just how damn cold it was that night - a scarf was appreciated!

That, and the supporters just weren't used to be given anything for free from the club, be it red, blue, pink, or gold. You put out blue scarves, you'd get the exact same response. Nothing to do with buying in to the red, or selling out.

And again, it was a cold evening :D

Really?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 am

That day was one of my worst days of following City, in fact my worst as I walked out and did consider whether never to return , thankfully I chose to return the next match and fight for the return of our Blue :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Those who stayed Blue were targeted and made to feel like Aliens for staying true to our identity and pride.
Where are the 20,000 Reds now?

I HATED AND DETESTED THE RED SELL OUTS WHO WORE THE RED SCARFS AND EVEN HAD THEIR PHOTOS WITH THEM AND STILL TO THIS DAY IT HURTS :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 am

I remember being devastated when they sold Toshack thinking I'll never go down again BUT GUESS WHAT.I've moved on. :bluebird:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:12 am

It was a f*cking disgrace sell outs shame on those who wore them :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 am

I remember being in the family stand that night with a Blue scarf on and some people looking at me as if I was strange. . :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:33 am

I love the fact that 95% of fans wore a scarf, but only 5% of forum members will own up to it :lol:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 am

I was supposed to go that night, but a couple of days before the match I found out that I had to work late. I was disappointed with that, but not as disappointed as I was when I logged on to this forum to check the score and saw pictures like this:

What is important though, as much as we will never forget that for all the wrong reasons, we now have our BLUE black and must support the team going forward :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:35 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:" 3 YEARS AGO TODAY SCARFGATE THE DESPICABLE RED "

How ironic we are playing Brighton tomorrow considering 3 years ago today, Brighton beat us 2-0 with 95% of our fans selling their souls taking the free red scarf.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a different result, but nights like 3 years ago reminds me that our football clubs heritage, tradition, history and identity will always mean way more to me than anything else.

Forget future wins, losses, promotions and relegations, the colours and badge defines the identity of every club. Whatever the result tomorrow, I will just be pleased to see Cardiff City playing in their rightful blue colours.

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Bang on :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:39 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I remember being devastated when they sold Toshack thinking I'll never go down again BUT GUESS WHAT.I've moved on. :bluebird:

Add Nathan Blake and this is spot on because as fans "WE ALWAYS MOVE ON".

P.S. Politely declined the scarf that evening although I was a reluctant red.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:23 am

Before the rebrand, I thought we were a loyal, passionate fan base who really cared about our club. The rebrand showed not many of our fans cared for our club at all. The rebrand showed our loyal supporters I grew up with watching City back during the Eddie May era were taken over by glory hunting plastics who used our local club as a convenience to watch Premiership football.

Those plastics have now gone back to their armchairs watching Sky TV which is why we now have crowds of 13,000, but that still doesn't take away the fact that whenever I set foot in our stadium, I know that 95% of the fans around me took the red scarf. Those 95% were happy to extinguish the tradition, heritage and identity of our club. From that point onwards, it has never felt the same for me, as I know the local pride I thought our club once had is no longer there.

How can I still feel really passionate in an environment where I've lost respect for 95% of our fans? The detachment I feel from those 95% will never go away. Before the rebrand, I thought of our fan base as one big family passionately uniting together, all pulling in the same direction. I will never feel that way for a home game ever again.

If it wasn't for our loyal fans at away games continuously wearing blue and protesting for our identity to save our club, I would have honestly walked away and never come back. In a way, I'm glad we failed and got relegated from the Premiership as if we succeeded, we would still probably be a red club now. The 95% who sold their souls only jumped back on the blue bandwagon when we struggled. The more we struggled, the more the blue bandwagon grew.

Thankfully we now have our identity back, but I will always think we are back in blue because we failed to stay in the Premiership, not because of the majority of our fans. The majority of our fans tried to kill our club and would have happily continued to kill our club if we stayed successful in the Premiership. I would have been surrounded by them telling me to "grow up and move on" just because they could watch Rooney live. :(

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:31 am

I own up , I took a scarf because it was free.
Never wore it don't even remember what I did with it ,or where it is now.
Doesn't make me less of a city fan.
Just somebody who likes something for nothing (a freebie )
Having said I bought a blue scarf ,but I have never wore that either.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 am

So the 6 that never took it are all on here.

How many took the red scarf and bought a rebel blue and white scarf months later ? How many were worn the next game ?

What this showed was the power of simple marketing. If you remember the hook was free season tickets to those photographed. Did anyone receive a free ticket ? You need to remember the paranoia about the following season in the premier league, would you get a ticket, how much would they cost. Everyone wants something for nothing, he played to out primal core.

Ultimately he lost, but it was close, if we stayed in the premier league god knows where we would be.

:sladeout:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 am

I missed that game home sick in bed listening on the radio hoping beyond hope the commentators were exaggerating. Had I been there I'm sure I would of exploded on some then walked out and I was glad I missed that game because I'm sure I would of never come back.
But it did turn out to be a changer in the end because it backfired on Tan and the red started to slowly and I do mean slowly begin to wane. The darkest days of the history of our Club and to many wounds have not healed and that is why I could never support Tan not then not NOW.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:58 pm

I'd be interested to know exactly who was the "brains" behind the so called Scarfgate then,,,I doubt it was VT.

How about a Blue & White Scarfgate in the future???

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:18 pm

I took one because basically there was no roll left in the toilets.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:I took one because basically there was no roll left in the toilets.

:old: :old: :old: :laughing6: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:17 pm

i refused to go and was so happy i did. couldnt handle that. i dont miss many city games but glad i missed this 1 :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Wore my blue and white scarf to that match and got some very funny looks and someone asked me why I was living in the past.

For the first time I felt very isolated from so many of the club's "support" and the people handing out the scarves in the stadium seemed genuinely surprised when I said "no thanks" when they offered one.

A dark moment in the history of the club in my opinion.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:I took one because basically there was no roll left in the toilets.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There were a few dumped in the urinals at the end of the game! :thumbup:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Serious (and honest) question: Were you actually there? :?

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Sven wrote:

Nope couldn't make it. :thumbup:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:16 pm

davids wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There were a few dumped in the urinals at the end of the game! :thumbup:

Yeah I did see those photo's. :laughing6:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:05 pm

That was a terrible day and showed how small a club we realy are as far as I am concerned.

I was there with a blue scarf in the absolute minority, the majority were happy to take the red scarf with most only there on the pretense of success and the lure of the Premier League, they are the ones that have deserted us now.

I would rather they did not return, but they will when the success returns.

I would rather have a small ground that holds 20,000 tops than become what we tried to do, Cardiff is not a Football City, time to accept that and embrace what we realy are

:bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:47 pm

glad i was in jail, f*cking disgrace :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:
Sven wrote:

Nope couldn't make it. :thumbup:

I thought not! School night (back in the day)?? ;)