Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' How bad it really has got, Cardiff City's '

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

' How bad it really has got Cardiff City's '

' How bad it really has got Cardiff City's Away Support over the last 7 years '

In the last 7 years Cardiff City have been very successful on the pitch including never being in a relegation battle during their Championship Years,Wembley appearances,run away Championship Winners and a season in the Premier League and this season chasing a play-off place for the Premier League.

Yet City's away support has dropped dramatically from an average of 1,409 in the 2009-10 Championship season to just an average of 632 this current Championship season(2015-16) :shock:

Also nowadays there are no restrictions for Cardiff City fans.

Cardiff City's Average Away Support in the last 7 years

2009-10 season 1,409 Average
2010-11 season 1,427 Average
2011-12 season 1,152 Average
2012-13 season 1,213 Average Champions But Rebranded
2013-14 season 1,812 Average Premier League season
2014-15 season 847 Average :shock: Championship and half way through back to Blue
2015-16 season 632 Average :shock:

Also most Clubs visiting Cardiff now bring more away fans than in the past.

What in your opinion has really gone wrong as one thing City were always known for was their brilliant away support?

Re:' How bad it really has got, Cardiff City's '

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:15 pm

f*cking hell i never knew it was that bad :o :o

Re: ' How bad it really has got, Cardiff City's '

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Obviously what's gone on with the rebrand has most to do with it but I think the other main reason is purely down to the cost.
As an example a group of us went to at least half of the away games every season from about 2006 up to when we got to the the League Cup Final (2011/12) but we've hardly been away since. An away day now costs an absolute fortune.
Work issues don't help either.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:41 pm

I think the answer is obvious Annis. Our Premiership season was a very expensive season financially, the following season back in the Championship was a season for many fans to cut back financially, and there was also a lot of negativity with everything that went on from Malky, to relegation, to Ole failing, to Slade's appointment which a huge percentage of our fans were against.

This season, Wales have qualified for the Euro's and a lot of fans have been missing away games and putting the money aside for France this summer. I'm sure I am just one of thousands of fans who are doing this. Our away suport may also take a bit of a hit next season as I imagine fans will be going to France for the Euro's, but also then taking their families on a summer holiday to keep their partners and kids happy.

That's the reality of life and circumstances get in the way of doing the things we want to do sometimes. I would loved to have gone to more away games this season, but financially, it hasn't been possible for me. Booking leave from work for a 9-10 hour round trip to Middlesbrough on a cold, Tuesday night at £32 a ticket isn't possible for the majority of us. I'm sure when the summer is over and the majority of our fans are able to get back to "normal" life and have the time and money to afford to go to more away games, without circumstances getting in the way, we will see our numbers rise again.

I know you are going to respond with "but what if it was Man Utd away?" Well of course everyone would want to go to Man Utd away. But games like Man Utd away attract a different type of fan, the types of plastic fans who don't bleed their money watching us play "normal" opposition on a regular basis.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Cost . Used to be a working man's game, but no longer. The greed of football in general is out of control, and something needs to be done before the game does'nt kill itself.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Cost . Used to be a working man's game, but no longer. The greed of football in general is out of control, and something needs to be done before the game does'nt kill itself.

Should have put before the game kills itself - you know what I mean though.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Perhaps the fact only Brighton have to travel furthest than us in the league :thumbright:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:05 pm

BlueSince1908 wrote:Perhaps the fact only Brighton have to travel furthest than us in the league :thumbright:

But out distances travelled have remained the same, yet we've dropped from 1400 to 600. Must be more than just the length of journey, otherwise we could have expected the numbers making these trips to remain fairly constant.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
BlueSince1908 wrote:Perhaps the fact only Brighton have to travel furthest than us in the league :thumbright:

But out distances travelled have remained the same, yet we've dropped from 1400 to 600. Must be more than just the length of journey, otherwise we could have expected the numbers making these trips to remain fairly constant.

£35 just for a ticket for our furthest away fixture, it's not pretty

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:09 pm

That figure should improve with bristol reading fulham and Brentford coming up especially if we got a chance of the playoffs. Playing Blackburn Leeds hull boro on Tuesday has hit that average

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 pm

What dates Fulham?? Definately want to make that trip again!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Visiting the same places time after time doesn't help mind either due to the amount of time spent in the same division.

I appreciate that you go away in essence to support your team but for many its not just about that and when spending that amount of money £100+ minimum if your having a few ales the thought of going somewhere you have already been 3 times in the past 5-6 seasons don't appeal.

Say for example, Coventry, Walsall and Burton came up and Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle come down, providing they were Saturday 3pm kick offs we would take healthy away support to them all as some will be new grounds to lots of our fans and others wont be so repetitive such as what Derby, Forest, QPR, Ipswich etc etc have become.

Also, you have to factor in over the past two seasons we seem to be absolutely stitched up with our mid-week fixtures which has a knock on the average.

Blackburn on a Tuesday Night
Leeds on a Tuesday Night
Birmingham on a Friday Night week before Christmas on Sky
MK Dons on Boxing Day
Hull on a Wednesday Night
Middlesbrough on a Tuesday Night
Burnley on a Tuesday Night

Who comes up with this shit, couldn't be much worse :bluescarf:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I think the Euros has definitely hit our away attendances. A large proportion of Wales away fans are City fans. Probably sacrificing City games to fund expensive away trips and France 2016.
As for me, I've never been a prolific away fan, but I haven't been away at all this season, which isn't like me. It's financial reasons for me, I just can't afford it.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:01 pm

It will pick up Annis, I rekon as a club and a fanbase were coming out the other side of a huge mess and at the very bottom of an upward curve. With the club now making vast improvements the buzz will be back, but it will still take time!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Reform the Valley Rams !!!!!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Pencoed wrote:That figure should improve with bristol reading fulham and Brentford coming up especially if we got a chance of the playoffs. Playing Blackburn Leeds hull boro on Tuesday has hit that average

Agree

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:12 pm

nubbsy wrote:It will pick up Annis, I rekon as a club and a fanbase were coming out the other side of a huge mess and at the very bottom of an upward curve. With the club now making vast improvements the buzz will be back, but it will still take time!

:thumbup: Spot on.

I haven't really given a toss this season, moved from Ninian to family didn't even renew my CCSC membership. Vinny has made a big gesture and hopefully the fan base will respond. Back to the Ninian and away games next season....There is some hope.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:57 pm

BlueSince1908 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
BlueSince1908 wrote:Perhaps fact only Brighton have to travel furthest than us in the league :thumbright:

£35 just for a ticket for our furthest away fixture, it's not pretty

Plus travel costs! For average fan living in cardiff must cost around £80 just for one person! So cost along with lack of success compared to afore mentioned seasons is main reason for drop?

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Those 600 fans need to make a stand and dont buy.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 pm

I envy the generation 40+ new stadia brought in the new sterile atmospheres we see up and down the country

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Wop wrote:What dates Fulham?? Definately want to make that trip again!

9th April 3 clock on a Saturday

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:55 pm

ThomasC wrote:I envy the generation 40+ new stadia brought in the new sterile atmospheres we see up and down the country

Yes enjoyed those nights at Aldershot just 100 fans far more enjoyment! fairly sterile with all seated stadiums now !

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Pencoed wrote:That figure should improve with bristol reading fulham and Brentford coming up especially if we got a chance of the playoffs. Playing Blackburn Leeds hull boro on Tuesday has hit that average

Agree

Got to agree, got 3 of them 4 pencilled in. Usually do about 5 or 6 aways through the season but the days of a North East game on a Tuesday night long gone, and absolutely nothing to do with city just personal circumstances. Business, kids, baby. It's a busy life and a lot have other priorities. I do feel we have lost that generation for different reasons but age and priorities is a driving factor.

But would I make the trip to Man Utd or Liverpool on a Tuesday night? Yes I would, I have earned that right. Doing the same old gets a bit tedious if am honest.

:ayatollah:

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm

wales1927 wrote:Reform the Valley Rams !!!!!

Agree never been same since.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:' How bad it really has got Cardiff City's '

In the last 7 years Cardiff City have been very successful on the pitch including never being in a relegation battle during their Championship Years,Wembley appearances,run away Championship Winners and a season in the Premier League and this season chasing a play-off place for the Premier League.

Yet City's away support has dropped dramatically from an average of 1,409 in the 2009-10 Championship season to just an average of 632 this current Championship season(2015-16) :shock:

2014-15 season 847 Average :shock: Championship and half way through back to Blue

What in your opinion has really gone wrong as one thing City were always known for was their brilliant away support?

Try football banning orders and dawn raids and basically times changing Annis oh and cctv.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 am

Try football banning orders and dawn raids and basically times changing Annis oh and cctv.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:07 am

Dessy1927 wrote:

Times changing for obvious reasons but that's not why so many don't go now. It's easy for all the keyboard warriors on here to give examples and reasons but how many have had their front door kicked through to make them question their loyalty only then to have to endure the rebrand and gash atmosphere at new stadium to think is it really worth it? ( didn't put me off but just saying like )

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:08 am

Dessy1927 wrote:

Times changing for obvious reasons but that's not why so many don't go now. It's easy for all the keyboard warriors on here to give examples and reasons but how many have had their front door kicked through to make them question their loyalty only then to have to endure the rebrand and gash atmosphere at new stadium to think is it really worth it? ( didn't put me off but just saying like )

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

ThomasC wrote:I envy the generation 40+ new stadia brought in the new sterile atmospheres we see up and down the country

Very true. In the 70's & 80's the atmosphere was much better in stadiums but getting there and back in one piece was a challenge at some grounds :lol:

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 am

I used to go away most weeks when the rams were about, £40/£50 would pay for the entire day including food and drinks. Now it won't even cover the ticket and travel.

Another reason is people like to go to new grounds, I know I've done nearly every champ ground so those who go away regular must have been a million times now, it loses its excitement appeal to some.

Also the previous years we have been going to for promotion, I don't think many people really think we are under Slade and don't get that excitement to go.