Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City Fans / But and a Big But '

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:00 am

' Cardiff City Fans / But and a Big But '

At Bristol City last Saturday as I said yesterday our fans were the best they've been for 2 years,they showed real passion,togetherness and backed the manager and team for 90 minutes :ayatollah:

Last night against Leeds United, City fans once again cheered on their team and thousands stayed to the final whistle to give the Cardiff players a standing ovation for the teams effort and never say die attitude. We are all in this together :ayatollah:

BUT, a crowd of barely 15,000 against Leeds United( who brought a 1,000),first you could not get a bigger name opposition in the Championship, second Cardiff and its surrounding areas is one of the biggest populated places in the UK, third we had one of the best home records in the Championship and fourth we are knocking on the play off doors.

Surely our club deserves bigger support than this?
There were no excuses and it was pay on the night.

Last nights crowd was 11,000 less than our biggest in the Championship last season :shock:

I really hope some how if we get back to the Premier League those glory hunters have to pay at least double what the diehard Cardiff fan pays.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Cardiff City Fans / But and a Big But '

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:02 am

Annis, my opinion is - the damage has been done and a good home record just won't bring people back

The base of supporters has been split beyond repair

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:09 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Annis, my opinion is - the damage has been done and a good home record just won't bring people back

That is my big worry, many won't forgive.

But we also do have one of the biggest glory hunting fan bases in the country, which is so unfair on the diehard City fans who when we got to the Premier League last time were virtually forgotten by our club.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:14 am

Its a money game now - all football clubs are concerned with is getting bums on seats - they don't care where the money comes from or who sits on them....Its revenue

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:15 am

100% agree Annis. My lad actually videoed the last 2mins to show his mates in school how the atmosphere was and how we gave standing ovation to our lads and sang bloouubirds when Leeds scum scored their 2nd goal

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 am

annis we are papering over the cracks, when we have to win and break the opposition down we cant, when we have to go on a run we cant , we are a mediocre team with a mediocre manager the fans aren't fooled and can see that :sladeout:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:55 am

gwentbluebirds wrote:100% agree Annis. My lad actually videoed the last 2mins to show his mates in school how the atmosphere was and how we gave standing ovation to our lads and sang bloouubirds when Leeds scum scored their 2nd goal

:thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That for me is about supporting your club and showing your appreciation, glory hunters don't know how to.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 am

I think we are just back to our normal levels. We rarely had 20000 until we had the cup runs and promotion to the premiership. Also, we look at Leeds attendances but dont forget....their population is over double that of Cardiffs and they've had loads more success than City.
Anyway, from what i saw, the fans we atrracted in the Premiership, we are better off without them .
Have no doubt, if we got promoted, they'd return in their droves.
:thumbright:
Last night made me proud of the club for the first time since the rebrand. It was brilliant.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:06 am

It's going to take a few years to get a real buzz back, we all said this once we realised the extent of the damage. Season tickets will help next year but if we find ourselfs mid table expect even less!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

DEANO wrote:annis we are papering over the cracks, when we have to win and break the opposition down we cant, when we have to go on a run we cant , we are a mediocre team with a mediocre manager the fans aren't fooled and can see that :sladeout:

Deano,Ive always said Slade is only a mediocre manager punching way above his weight, but he's still achieved far more than I ever thought he would,so we need to get right behind Slade and the team :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 am

We haven't won a major trophy since 1927.our last decent season in the top flight was in 1954.until the club actually delivers something there will always be apathy.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

Last night in my opinion something special happened, the players gave 100% and so did the fans. When the second goal went in it was too much for some and people walked out but the true fans stayed right until the end and never gave up (just like the players) and I think that will prove to be a massive confidence boost to the players for the rest of the season, looking forward to Saturday now (Y)

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 am

The12thBlue wrote:Last night in my opinion something special happened, the players gave 100% and so did the fans. When the second goal went in it was too much for some and people walked out but the true fans stayed right until the end and never gave up (just like the players) and I think that will prove to be a massive confidence boost to the players for the rest of the season, looking forward to Saturday now (Y)

Here here fella
I felt the same

We can be the 12th Man :bluescarf:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 am

I stopped going after the Championship season.Aint a glory hunter cause I didn't renew my season ticket for the Prem.I think the club has done wonders in next seasons prices and I'm 50/50 at the moment on getting one.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 am

Boys, you seem to forget, Tan has ripped the heart out of the club, it is going to take years to repair. I will be making at least 6 trips back to watch the city every season from Shanghai and will still be buying my season ticket, but some fans have had enough.
Like I said, it will take time to repair and success will bring the fans back, but i'm afraid a lot of fans need to be convinced that we belong to this football club once more.
It is not just about success on the field anymore for some, they have to be convinced there is a desire off the field.
Planning our next 20,000 mile round trip for the bluebirds in Shanghai as we speak. We will be keeping the faith. :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:36 am

gwentbluebirds wrote:100% agree Annis. My lad actually videoed the last 2mins to show his mates in school how the atmosphere was and how we gave standing ovation to our lads and sang bloouubirds when Leeds scum scored their 2nd goal

Can you put that video on here? :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Felt great yesterday with our fans support at the end. Pilkington looked shattered, stunned and appreciated the support as he knelt down thean walked away.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:07 am

Just throwing this out there but is Wales' appearance in this summers Euro competition having an affect on our attendances?

There is clearly a waving fan base of about 10,000 many of who are planning on a trip to France this summer. Not everyone has well paid jobs and the trip could cost upwards of £4,000 meaning savings have to be made somewhere.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:13 am

The sad fact remains that if the City went up there would not be a single seat empty for next season .

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:19 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Just throwing this out there but is Wales' appearance in this summers Euro competition having an affect on our attendances?

There is clearly a waving fan base of about 10,000 many of who are planning on a trip to France this summer. Not everyone has well paid jobs and the trip could cost upwards of £4,000 meaning savings have to be made somewhere.

Tony, I don't buy that, Wrexham and Swansea's crowds have not gone down.
You can't blame the Euros on fans not turning up for Cardiff home games, maybe some away games,but def not home games.
There are one million people with in 40 minutes of our stadium, no excuses.
Some how we always try to find excuses.

Wrexham have massive away support with Wales and they've been getting 4,500 at home in the Non league and 800 fans away,yet they are not even doing well.

If we were in the Premier League the ground last night would be full to capacity,a sad fact.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:21 am

Bluemellons wrote:I think we are just back to our normal levels. We rarely had 20000 until we had the cup runs and promotion to the premiership. Also, we look at Leeds attendances but dont forget....their population is over double that of Cardiffs and they've had loads more success than City.
Anyway, from what i saw, the fans we atrracted in the Premiership, we are better off without them .
Have no doubt, if we got promoted, they'd return in their droves.
:thumbright:
Last night made me proud of the club for the first time since the rebrand. It was brilliant.

I think your right,we are back to the real fans and the glory fans have gone away as faster than they arrived for Premier League Football and winning the Championship.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 am

Neath Bluebird wrote:Boys, you seem to forget, Tan has ripped the heart out of the club, it is going to take years to repair. I will be making at least 6 trips back to watch the city every season from Shanghai and will still be buying my season ticket, but some fans have had enough.
Like I said, it will take time to repair and success will bring the fans back, but i'm afraid a lot of fans need to be convinced that we belong to this football club once more.
It is not just about success on the field anymore for some, they have to be convinced there is a desire off the field.
Planning our next 20,000 mile round trip for the bluebirds in Shanghai as we speak. We will be keeping the faith. :ayatollah: :bluebird:

I do believe Tans antics have destroyed the hearts of about 2,000 City fans who still will never forgive like me,some of us still go,others are still to hurt and prob won't come back again or till Tan leaves.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

Annis your right.but Leeds last home game was 17000 .if they were home to man u in the prem they would get 40000. As a general rule you lose 50% of fans between prem and championship.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:40 am

skiprat wrote:Annis your right.but Leeds last home game was 17000 .if they were home to man u in the prem they would get 40000. As a general rule you lose 50% of fans between prem and championship.

I thought Leeds had 25,000 at their last home game?

I know there average is about 23,500 this season,which is good for a club that has had no success for years and is struggling big time.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:49 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote:Annis, my opinion is - the damage has been done and a good home record just won't bring people back

But we also do have one of the biggest glory hunting fan bases in the country, which is so unfair on the diehard City fans who when we got to the Premier League last time were virtually forgotten by our club.

This is a huge point and has been brought up before :thumbup:

The club need to start realising that there really is a 'hardcore' of support and they need to be rewarding those fans in some way...

What could they do?

Well, firstly a season ticket discount would be good (although in all honesty, I find it hard to argue with what they've recently done)

Secondly, a return to the 'Ambassador' system of rewards would be welcome and this could be graduated with 'other' discounts and incentives (kit, merchandise, away travel, food and beverages, etc.) on a sliding scale according to length of continuous membership

Of course there will be some who would miss out for reasons other than 'non-commitment' (i.e. those who work away and for whom it is impractical to commit to a season ticket) but with modern computer software it wouldn't be impossible for the club to devise a scheme that will include these people in some way

Neath Bluebird (above) is a great example of a committed Bluebird; a season ticket holder despite only being able to watch 6 games a season! :ayatollah: :notworthy:

The argument about fans being 'forgotten' is slowly being washed away thanks to some pretty positive recent actions and the addition of some kind os further incentive for the 'hardcore' to remain committed, as well as an incentive for the 'floaters' to get on board and stay on board could only be a good thing for all sides! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 am

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

The club need to start realising that there really is a 'hardcore' of support and they need to be rewarding those fans in some way...

What could they do?

Well, firstly a season ticket discount would be good (although in all honesty, I find it hard to argue with what they've recently done)

Secondly, a return to the 'Ambassador' system of rewards would be welcome and this could be graduated with 'other' discounts and incentives (kit, merchandise, away travel, food and beverages, etc.) on a sliding scale according to length of continuos membership

Of course there will be some who would miss out for reasons other than 'non-commitment' (i.e. those who work away and for whom it is impractical to commit to a season ticket, but with modern computer software it wouldn't be impossible for the club to devise a scheme that will include these people in some way

Neath Bluebird (above) is a great example of a committed Bluebird; a season ticket holder despite only being able to watch 6 games a season! :ayatollah: :notworthy:

The argument about fans being 'forgotten' is slowly being washed away thanks to some pretty positive recent actions and the addition of some kind os further incentive for the 'hardcore' to remain committed, as well as an incentive for the 'floaters' to get on board and stay on board could only be a good thing for all sides! :ayatollah:

Chris,Your right they need to get all this prepared and right this time, so it does not happen again.

Fans were shit on when we got promoted and the loyal ones totally forgotten.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

It does seem things are on the up fans we are starting to get our passion back ,great last nite .
But as you say if we were in the premier the ground would be full Ccfc provided Premiership football ( albeit for one season ) and it was up to the club to maintain that status that's what people want to see ,
I enjoyed seeing the stadium full as well ,glory hunters maybe not but club customers yes

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 pm

egg at 4pm saturday, might be a lower crowd than last night!

Oh and plastic glasses in every pub - even though game is 147 miles away!!!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:31 pm

As a non attendee for the past 3 seasons and not watching many games the season before that to want to charge people like me double isn't the answer. (been following City on and off since about 11 years old, now 63)
I would now be classed as a glory hunter if we got in the play offs and gained promotion and I returned to the fold. At the moment I have no intention of returning to the fold even if promotion was gained.
You moan about lack of attendances then want to penalise people who may return if the club gained some success, bit of a double edged sword there, you want people to turn up now but the fact is so much shit has happened at The City over a number of years that the culmination of it all is low attendances and shit atmosphere.
You even searched deep into your own conscience and was a little unsure about renewing your season ticket and that's from a diehard who's not missed a season for donkey's years.
I have found other things to occupy my time now and have really lost the bug, what would make me return? a double priced ticket? absolutely no, wouldn't that be punishing me for losing the faith and not continuing to support through thick and thin?
I fear I may never return but who knows.
Probably be some name calling or clever comments now but the club should listen to the people who've stopped going as well as the diehards who still attend, find out the reasons and maybe change a few attitudes down there in the boardroom and decision making departments.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Annis more performances like yesterday and the effort of the fans then the fans may start to return.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

What could they do?

Secondly, a return to the 'Ambassador' system of rewards would be welcome and this could be graduated with 'other' discounts and incentives (kit, merchandise, away travel, food and beverages, etc.) on a sliding scale according to length of continuos membership

Of course there will be some who would miss out for reasons other than 'non-commitment' (i.e. those who work away and for whom it is impractical to commit to a season ticket, but with modern computer software it wouldn't be impossible for the club to devise a scheme that will include these people in some way

Chris,Your right they need to get all this prepared and right this time, so it does not happen again.

Fans were shit on when we got promoted and the loyal ones totally forgotten.

So true, Annis :thumbup:

We have to give the club at least a chance to correct things and (so far) the signs are positive! Long may it last! :ayatollah: