Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated " Latest News on Russell Slade/ What Do you Think? "

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:02 pm

" Latest News on Russell Slade/The Future? "

Russell Slades been the manager of Cardiff City for Aporox 18 months.
Slades contract runs out this May.

It is believed amongst the staff that Slade intends to meet Vincent Tan as soon as the season is over and even if we have made the play offs or not, Slade would like another contract and be given the chance to try for promotion in the 2016-17 season.

Slade feels the the last 18 months has really been about reducing the squad size and reducing the wages and at the same time keep Cardiff City in the Championship etc
Slade has operated with virtually no money to spend.

Slade has also finally won a lot of City fans over and I think he finally feels welcome.

There are people with in the board who still want him gone, so will they have any influence on Vincent Tans decision?

Slade feels the last few months he's finally been able to solely concentrate on the football side.

Would you give Russell Slade another season?

Re: " Latest News on Russell Slade/ What Do you Think? "

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:10 pm

Tough one really, done really well considering what his remit was and with a crazy owner. Depending on the budget for next season, if very small yes, if large no, as i dont think Slade is used to shopping in the higher leagues for players and also could he attract top players.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm

In view of Slade's inability to have won anything in all his years as a manager the answer would have to be a resounding no,if on the other hand he got us promotion, I would be willing to give him a chance in managing in the Premiereship

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:23 pm

One more year. As long as we remain competitive and don't fade off in these last ten games.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:46 pm

It would be a harder decision to make if we got promoted. I think we would need someone more experienced in the Premier League, but I think he deserves another chance at gaining promotion for us.

Hull have a similar problem. Most fans only wanted Steve Bruce to stay last year BECAUSE they got relegated and they thought he was the best man to get them back to the Premier League. If they make it (and I expect them to), then they may opt for a change of manager.

Generally, I remain a :sladein: person.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Sorry but definitely no....he's a genuine honest hardworking guy but he has made some colossal errors...

Why did it take him so long to alter the midfield when it was getting overrun every game for over a year?

Why have our youngsters never been given a chance?

442 is outdated it was only when he had no forwards left he went to a more fluid formation?

His treatment of players like Matt Kennedy and Declan John is dubious at best?

His record in the transfer market is not great

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:49 pm

bluebird58 wrote:It would be a harder decision to make if we got promoted. I think we would need someone more experienced in the Premier League, but I think he deserves another chance at gaining promotion for us.

Hull have a similar problem. Most fans only wanted Steve Bruce to stay last year BECAUSE they got relegated and they thought he was the best man to get them back to the Premier League. If they make it (and I expect them to), then they may opt for a change of manager.

Generally, I remain a :sladein: person.

If he got us promoted he would expect to stay?

Bit double edged that! Big NO from me does not have the nouce, no disrespect nice bloke but that's it :sladeout:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm

It's a no from me. Slade's purchases of players has been pretty poor since being our manager. I know he has had a tough job to do but I don't see him being able to get us promotion let alone sustaining a premier league position. Just my honest opinion and each to their own.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:53 pm

I'd give him a 2 year contract. If his wages are as low as to be believed he would be easy to get rid of if we are having a poor season.

If this is what he has done under the pressures of trimming the squad and reducing the budget then I think he is worth a try without those pressures upon him.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Up until the last couple of months I would have said no way, but he has started to win me over and the way we are starting to play I'm almost hoping he will stay another year now!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm

It's a yes from me :sladein: :sladein:

He has us competing at the right end of the table while having no budget to work with and one hand tied behind his back. To add on top all of that the majority of fans (until recently) have given him stick left, right and centre!!

The last few games have been really enjoyable and the whole atmosphere around the club is starting to improve. Regardless if we make the play-offs or not I believe he should be given at least one more season at the club :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 pm

:sladein: where we are in the championship is an achievment within its self considering the cut backs and what's been going on behind the scenes
There will always be deluded people that want a champions league manager

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm

I don't want another season of Russel Slade in charge, I think we can do better.

He seemed to turn a corner against Brighton but last Tuesday, it was normal service resumed .

That dreaded 442 with Whitts isolated on the left and lumping hopeful high balls to our front men.

Although Leeds were so poor we almost got out of jail

But its only my opinion

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Crikey.

Amazed that people are now supporting Slade and want him to stay.

If it was left to Slade we'd still have Joe Mason and Jones up front and therefore a static and slow front two.

Was it his decision to bring in immers and Lawrence? ... Who have transformed our team... We now have movement! I doubt it was.

People really trust Slade spending money? Really?

Re: Updated " Latest News on Russell Slade/ What Do you Thin

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:01 pm

RS has won me over a bit because of recent results and because I know he is here until the end of the season, so just need to get behind him.......
Is he the person to take us forward next year?
Would I trust him to spend whatever money VT decides to give him?
Not for me, I think we need someone with a bit more experience at this level and someone who knows how to get promotion.
Who that is on the money that VT will be paying I don't know but sort of hope we look elsewhere..... :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Performances have started to improve, with all the wage reductions and reducing the squad size since he's come in. I tend to agree that since January hes been able to concentrate on the football.

I think he should have the opportunity to manage us next year, with the objective of play-offs or promotion as a minimum target. Otherwise, we are back to square one again with a new manager, who will want to bring his players in and back room staff etc.

Lets build on what we have....for the first time since Malky has left, we have stability and foundations to build on.

:bluescarf:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:15 pm

azz_ccfc wrote:Performances have started to improve, with all the wage reductions and reducing the squad size since he's come in. I tend to agree that since January hes been able to concentrate on the football.

I think he should have the opportunity to manage us next year, with the objective of play-offs or promotion as a minimum target. Otherwise, we are back to square one again with a new manager, who will want to bring his players in and back room staff etc.

Lets build on what we have....for the first time since Malky has left, we have stability and foundations to build on.

Some great points in there, fella and difficult to know 'who' we would replace him with! :thumbup:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Sven wrote:
azz_ccfc wrote:Performances have started to improve, with all the wage reductions and reducing the squad size since he's come in. I tend to agree that since January hes been able to concentrate on the football.

Some great points in there, fella and difficult to know 'who' we would replace him with! :thumbup:

Sven do you constantly use the inverted comma hand sign to emphasise random words when you talk in person as well?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Good post, I really think we need to re evaluate end of the season not now. Plus next year we will have a bouncing canton and the left side are back but in force with returning lads :thumbup:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Valid points! I think that if the players believe in him then yes let's give him a chance and see if we can hit the ground running next season. If we don't then I feel fans would quickly turn on him

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm

It's a yes from me, Slade is just starting to bring a decent team together and get the respect of the fan base, he should be given a new contract in my opinion and let's be fair he hasn't done a bad job to date and with little or no money :thumbup:

It seems the team are also playing for the manager :sladein:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Stringfellow wrote:

Good post, I really think we need to re evaluate end of the season not now. Plus next year we will have a bouncing canton and the left side are back but in force with returning lads :thumbup:

I think Canton 104 will be bouncing next season mate.

For the first time since relegation I have started to enjoy watching Cardiff. Pilks playing up front and the loan deals of Lawrence and Imners have seemed to brought a fresh impetus to the squad and club.

I was never a fan of Slade; for me he was a league 1 or 2 manager at most, and championship was too much of a step for him. To an extent I still believe this, but credit where is due, he just carried on with his work. Slade has achieved an amazing home record, whilst we haven't been winning many games, we haven't been losing either, both home and away.

I really do not want us to be a club like Leeds or Blackburn, sacking their manager every other month and destroying the momentum and work that's being achieved to stabilise the club and work towards promotion.

But with the club decision to reduce season ticket prices with price freeze, and the team starting to play as a unit and for each other, gives me optimism for next season which we can build on. We have a squad who are playing for their manager, and its all there for people to see. There is a positive vibe coming from the club and players and regardless whether we're in the premiership or championship next season.

The main thing I like to see Slade achieve next season for us, is bringing a home grown player to the first team, even if its a substitute, Declan John, O'Sullivan, Wharton or James. One of our own, which would be amazing to see.

Additionally a change in club captaincy, I never believe a goalkeeper should be captain of a team. Marshall has been an amazing goalkeeper for us, but I believe he would be more suited as club captain, who has the respect of players and management behind the scenes. Pilks and Gunnar are my prime choice, with the first being ideal candidate who can lift the fans with his passion.

Regardless where we end up next season, Slade has earned himself at least an additional year contract.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Depends on the club's ambitions for next season.

If they genuinely want promotion then they should be aiming for AUTOMATIC promotion, not giving us more of this year's nonsense where at no time has anything better than a top 6 finish been mentioned as a target.

If they are aiming for the top 2 then I have seen nothing from Slade in the time that he has been here, or indeed in his entire career, that would suggest that he could acheive such a target.

If however the club is content to aim again for a possible top 6 finish with the likelihood of a mid table finish then Slade has proven that he is quite capable of providing this.

For me it will still be :sladeout: I'm afraid if we are to mount a serious challenge next season.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:32 pm

davids wrote:Depends on the club's ambitions for next season.
not giving us more of this year's nonsense where at no time has anything better than a top 6 finish been mentioned as a target.

Yes BUT, given the circumstances and restrictions a top 6 finish was a realistic target "for this season" :thumbup:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Let's just see how this season pans out shall we, let's not jump the gun. A run of losses and he'd be a dead man walking, a run of wins he's the next messiah. Tactics made during crucial games we have left should help anyone make an unbiased decision ( it's the tactics in crucial games that win you games ) lets just sit tight and see how the roller coaster that is Cardiff City FC pans out.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:14 pm

I love it on here. Barely six weeks ago all the ITKers had it on good authority that Slade was sooo disillusioned he was ready to walk and wouldn't take the job if offered. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No chance would i keep him next season whatever happened. He offers so little a game time.

442, a big and small one up front, couple of wingers, good team spirit, skipper take them out on the piss Wednesday afternoons, steak and chips, blame the refs when we lose. first sub 75mins, second 85 mins. All from a bygone era

If Vinny had not got rid of Jones and Mason we'd still have them up front with Noone on the wrong wing for a 442. The fact he goes for Zahore over saadi tells me this is just a guise.