Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' A SUCCESSFUL RUSSELL SLADE ? '

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Two questions based on if Russell Slade is successful.

Obviously it depends on what is perceived as success.

Personally I think Russell Slade can be deemed as successful with what he has achieved so far and with nine games to go, it looks like we will finish in or just short of the play offs.

QUESTION ONE :

If Cardiff City finish in the play offs and lose out on promotion, or finish just outside the play offs, do you believe Russell Slade has earned the opportunity to be rewarded with a new contract next season to manage Cardiff City in the Championship ?

QUESTION TWO :

This is the big question for me, if Russell Slade delivers the ultimate goal by managing the team and winning the play offs, should Russell Slade have the opportunity to manage in the big time and be offered a new contract to manage Cardiff City in the Premier League next season ?

It will be interesting to see what fan's views are on both scenario's as it looks very likely that one of the above questions will be a situation the club will find itself in come May.

Hopefully it will be question two that needs addressing but in my opinion the manager can consider this season to be successful if he just failed to make the play offs, given the restrictions he has worked under this year.

Re: ' A SUCCESSFUL RUSSELL SLADE ? '

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm

If we finish in the play offs then there's no reason not to give him a renewal

What would the reason be ? Sorry you exceeded expectation you done to well we're not extending your contract ?

There's no reason not to if the play offs are reached

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Carl, if he did indeed manage to somehow get Premier League Status, he deserves a massive bonus, a lot of thanks/praise along with his P45 as that man cannot be trusted with a large budget.

The other scenario is that he stays as head coach and Tan does all the buying. That's relegation guaranteed imo, still waiting for a player of his to score a blumin goal!

He definately proved he can cut it at Championship level and to be given another go if he fails this season :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Q1 - No, do you honestly believe there are six teams paying their squad more salary than we do, so we should be challenging

Q2 - No, In hindsight we should have got rid of Malky the day we were promoted like Watford did.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Carlos,I will tell you how much I've changed towards Rissell Slade, if Slade performs a miracle and takes us up, then Slade has earned the right to manage us if we went up and even if we don't go up, let Slade have another bite of the Championship :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:41 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Q1 - No, do you honestly believe there are six teams paying their squad more salary than we do, so we should be challenging

Q2 - No, In hindsight we should have got rid of Malky the day we were promoted like Watford did.

Exactly on your second point, and I think Tan will do that with Slade

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Q.1 - Yes I think Slade is building something here and he deserves another season with this squad.
Q.2 - Wow, if this did happen I think our coaching team should be expanded ie Bellamy.But yes I do think RS deservers to be the No.1 on merit alone, if not directer of football, otherwise those looking in as well as out will question his sacking forever. Whatever will be will be,but it is exciting from my view point :bluebird:

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Q1. Yes he would be regarded as a success in a right. Not in an overall right in terms of there wasn't a bounce back to the Premier League but he steadied the ship and leaves the club in a better predicament than the club found itself in. The wage bill has been reduced heavily and bar a few players, are on wages that match their commitment and ability.

In terms of a new contract, it would depend on what the higher ups expect from him next season, the teams that are coming down will be big in stature if it's the current 3. Is this our best chance of promotion, will we fade away and all Russ' good work go to waste if we don't finish higher than we've already finished this season?

Q2
YES. I think he would deserve that in his own right and it would be more of an achievement than our previous promotion. I believe if promoted, we should adopt the Burnley approach, they may have been relegated but didn't spend big. Either way if we did get promoted the clubs stadium would be full and we would receive money off the new TV deal.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 pm

1. Yes as Dave Jones did get , just missing out on the play offs then the final and then semi final he had 6 seasons so I believe if we just miss out in the play offs we are better than last season then Slade should have next season to see if he can improve it again.

2 Yes if a manager gets a team to the premiership I believe they should have the chance to manage in the premiership
not just with my team Cardiff City but any team who get promoted the manager should have the chance.

Eddie Howe has no experience at premiership whatsoever and look what he has done with Bournemouth who knows Slade could do it

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:58 pm

[quote="ThomasC"]Carl, if he did indeed manage to somehow get Premier League Status, he deserves a massive bonus, a lot of thanks/praise along with his P45 as that man cannot be trusted with a large budget.How on earth do you know that

The other scenario is that he stays as head coach and Tan does all the buying. That's relegation guaranteed imo, still waiting for a player of his to score a blumin goal!

He definately proved he can cut it at Championship level and to be given another go if he fails this seasonagreed :ayatollah:

I'll be honest here and say I'm mighty glad sometimes that the powers that be at this club pay no heed to some of the opinions voiced on here.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:08 pm

I'd thank him for his work and bring in someone else either way

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Q1 depends on many things. Will Marshall, manga, pilkington stay?
Will we have the funds to retain the talents of Immers and Lawrence permanently? Can we offload le fondre, doyle and any other unwanted player currently on loan. What the plan is with the youth setup. Slade is a good manager working with a low budget. We don't know how he'd be with a larger budget or using youth.
If next season will be under similar constraints then yes why not. But if we lose the main players like marshall and manga he may struggle.

Q2 yes, why not. He got us there and he deserves the shot. But it needs to be for the whole season with the supporters/ club behind him 100%

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
ThomasC wrote:Carl, if he did indeed manage to somehow get Premier League Status, he deserves a massive bonus, a lot of thanks/praise along with his P45 as that man cannot be trusted with a large budget.How on earth do you know that

He definately proved he can cut it at Championship level and to be given another go if he fails this seasonagreed :ayatollah:

I'll be honest here and say I'm mighty glad sometimes that the powers that be at this club pay no heed to some of the opinions voiced on here.

Let's break it down into categories to help

Is the Cardiff City model of running a football club more closely impersonating:

A) Burnley
B) Watford

Think of the Pozzo family and how they run clubs (plural) Doesn't Tan own a couple of clubs too ?? He wants players of his clubs interchanging and he would like to be the puppeteer of that.

Burnley model is fine, stable manager who is competitive in both leagues. Club does not overspend when they are promoted, sensible planning. Stability, certainly not assuming they will stay up like we did last time.

Vincent Tan is unlikely to do this. He will spend more money than Burnley could dream of. Watford sacked there promotion winning manager and got a very shrewd operator in to do high quality work with top signings (+interchange of Pozzo owned players at other clubs).

IF Tan sticks with Slade, I will be gob smacked and furthermore, wouldn't have a clue what they are trying to achieve as a club. To give Slade a wad of cash is another failed attempt at staying up.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:38 pm

No, to both.

Yes, we are performing better, but the fact is that Slade is poor tactically and that will only get highlighted even more if we get promoted or end up with a worse quality squad next season. We'd be comfortably sitting in the playoffs if it wasn't for some baffling tactical decisions by Slade during some of our games this season. He, personally, has been responsible for too many points dropped IMO.

If we get promoted, Cardiff City should be appointing a manager who will keep us there, not risking throwing away another year in the top tier by "giving Slade a chance". Watford is the model.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:48 pm

From Facebook

Jacob Price
Whatever the outcome of this season I think he should be offered a 1 year contract extension at least.He picked up from Ole's mess and stabilised us last season.This season,I and probably majority of others were expecting a mid table finish and if he said we'd be fighting for the play-offs come March time I'd have laughed in his face!I think he's done a great job.Similar to Malky in his first season,we do have a good squad but lacking that fire power up front.If we do get in the Play-offs then I think we'd be overpowered by M'boro,Hull whoever it'd be but who knows?
Either way Play-offs or no play-offs a top 9 finish is above where I expected us to finish and it's all to play for and its in our hands as we still have to play Derby,Wednesday and Brum.So who knows?An exciting and nerve racking end to the season of which Russell has had unfair criticism.It is no about results and not performances.3 points and get us in those play-offs Russ!

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:12 pm

carlccfc wrote:Two questions based on if Russell Slade is successful.

Obviously it depends on what is perceived as success.

Personally I think Russell Slade can be deemed as successful with what he has achieved so far and with nine games to go, it looks like we will finish in or just short of the play offs.

QUESTION ONE :

If Cardiff City finish in the play offs and lose out on promotion, or finish just outside the play offs, do you believe Russell Slade has earned the opportunity to be rewarded with a new contract next season to manage Cardiff City in the Championship ?

QUESTION TWO :

This is the big question for me, if Russell Slade delivers the ultimate goal by managing the team and winning the play offs, should Russell Slade have the opportunity to manage in the big time and be offered a new contract to manage Cardiff City in the Premier League next season ?

It will be interesting to see what fan's views are on both scenario's as it looks very likely that one of the above questions will be a situation the club will find itself in come May.

Hopefully it will be question two that needs addressing but in my opinion the manager can consider this season to be successful if he just failed to make the play offs, given the restrictions he has worked under this year.

Yes to both

Reason being I was never an admirer of his tactics on the pitch and had douts if he can manage at this level
Slade hasn't had any backing from fans from day one but I can say I've never wanted to see him sacked iether.
I believe in this day and age a manager has to have a couple of seasons in charge to create a team he wants.
With pretty much next to nothing to spend slade Has done a great job...If he is there for purely that reason then the guy has never been given a chance to show what he can or carnt to !
We have seen he has no problems getting rid of players and we have seen he can work on a budget with so much animosity around him and a pretty much zero can base.

:sladein: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't want to rain on everyones parade but these are our league positions at the beginning of each month of the season.

1 Sept 5th
1 Oct 6th
1 Nov 9th
1 Dec 10th
1 Jan 10th
1 Feb 9th
1 Mar 7th

He had the balls to do what Ole didn't have the minerals to do in getting rid of a few players, but has he really achieved as much as some of the gushing comments have suggested.

Do any of you believe that Marshall, Whitts ,Manga, Noone, Jones, Fabio, Dikgacoi, Ameobi, Pilkington maybe Gunnarson are not in the top 25% earners in the championship ?

Necessity is the mother of invention, and Vinny selling mason and Letting Jones go forced Slades hand.

Not a believer.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 pm

valleyrambill wrote:1. Yes as Dave Jones did get , just missing out on the play offs then the final and then semi final he had 6 seasons so I believe if we just miss out in the play offs we are better than last season then Slade should have next season to see if he can improve it again.

2 Yes if a manager gets a team to the premiership I believe they should have the chance to manage in the premiership
not just with my team Cardiff City but any team who get promoted the manager should have the chance.

Eddie Howe has no experience at premiership whatsoever and look what he has done with Bournemouth who knows Slade could do it

Totally agree :thumbright:

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 am

2 - No, In hindsight we should have got rid of Malky the day we were promoted like Watford did.

After the draw with Charlton I told a steward when leaving the game that Malky should get sacked.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 am

llan bluebird wrote:Q1 - No, do you honestly believe there are six teams paying their squad more salary than we do, so we should be challenging

derby, qpr, burnley, boro, hull

theres 5 without question!

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:47 am

paulh_85 wrote:

He said 6 :lol:

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:53 am

stephendavid wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

yeah :roll:

but there is no doubt about those 5 and there will be plenty of others paying high wages.

We are just one of many who should be fighting for the playoffs, the thought of some like him that we should be walking it is nonsense

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:02 am

paulh_85 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

but there is no doubt about those 5 and there will be plenty of others paying high wages.

We are just one of many who should be fighting for the playoffs, the thought of some like him that we should be walking it is nonsense

Don't agree with walking it,but definitely with the quality of the squad he inherited we should be in the mix & gladly we are

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 am

Q1. No
Q2. No
Slade's poorest performances have been in the transfer market. IMHO he would be anhialated tactically in the Premiership.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 am

RS should be hear next season whatever the outcome of our season. Every few days a thread goes up about a Championship manager being sacked and we all roll our eyes and state it's madness, yet some would want our manager to follow suit!

I think we need stability and a manager who is a safe pair of hands. Many point out that the squad he inherited was good enough to get us into the play offs. That may be true but it needed a good manager to get it functioning and RS has done that.

If we pull off an unexpected promotion then whoever takes charge is going to have a difficult time. I notice reference above to Vinney spending big but I doubt that will happen as he got burnt badly last time.

Instead we will have a streetwise strategy bringing in quality at a value for money rate. RS has a patchy record on transfers but the January intake has been the best business we have done for years. If we continue with that policy then I'm happy for RS to oversea the team for the full season no matter how we fair in the PL.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:52 am

If we don't get promoted this year, then definitely give him another chance.

If we do get promoted, its harder to judge. When we went up with Malky, we had half a team of probable Premier class performers. This time, we only have 3 or 4. It would be difficult for any manager to come in and build a team from that level of squad. My inclination is to compromise - let him start the process, with perhaps an experienced Premier League "Director of Football" alongside him. If it isn't working by the end of October, then would be the time to look for a new Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis or whoever to have a crack at it.

I have been a :sladein: person all season, and it is nice to see so many of you realise that I was right all along! :bluebird: :D

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:57 am

Bobbank59 wrote:Q1. No
Q2. No
Slade's poorest performances have been in the transfer market. IMHO he would be anhialated tactically in the Premiership.

Lee Peltier, Tom Lawrence, Lex Immers, Stuart O'Keefe and Scott Malone? That is 5 successful transfers in my opinion and they cost next to nothing in transfer fees indeed combined fees and wages probably doesn't add up to more than it cost us for Andreas Cornelius' few months stay in Cardiff.

The downside is Alex Revell and Eoin Doyle but on balance there is an argument that RS has held his own in the transfer market.

Whoever manages us in the PL is going to have a torrid time. I would prefer RS to stay and keep us stable and if we come down then we do it in the fashion of Burnley. By that I mean we do-not tear ourselves apart and mount a promotion challenge the following season.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:58 am

Wherever we finish up at the end of the season, City need a fresh football approach next term.

If we get into the play off's then well done to him, but we have to have a more dynamic, professional football set up next season if in the championship.

Nice guy and all, but we will need better. So :sladeout: regardless.

It goes without saying that if we do by miracle get into the play off's and then up, then an experienced manager would be required, after the fiasco last time around.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:00 am

bluebird58 wrote:If we don't get promoted this year, then definitely give him another chance.

If we do get promoted, its harder to judge. When we went up with Malky, we had half a team of probable Premier class performers. This time, we only have 3 or 4. It would be difficult for any manager to come in and build a team from that level of squad. My inclination is to compromise - let him start the process, with perhaps an experienced Premier League "Director of Football" alongside him. If it isn't working by the end of October, then would be the time to look for a new Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis or whoever to have a crack at it.

I have been a :sladein: person all season, and it is nice to see so many of you realise that I was right all along! :bluebird: :D

Your post is very sensible, I just don't think Tan wants to let go of his thirst to buy players and find the next 'Michu' if I'm honest.

Even Slade enthusiasts have to admit worry if it's only him and Tan targets for Premier League football :ayatollah:

Anyway, Mr Carl Curtis, we are not even in the play-offs yet! :laughing6:

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:33 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
stephendavid wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Its to counter the no money for transfers claims made by many Slade apologists, he doesn't make a difference.

So for the majority of the season we have floated between 7th ~ 10th, we probably do pay around that mark, so he is cruising. No he is not hopeless like Ole, but he isn't Malky either.

Would you rather a manager like Simon Grayson who really doesn't have top end championship players but is making a fist of it. How many Rotherham, Brizzle, Leeds or Preston players would make our first team ? Not many. What about Brum ?

There are 72 football league managers contracts out there, with only 24 at the top division. Is Slade in the top 2 of that group ? If not, why offer him a new contract ?