Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CAN WE WIN 4 FROM OUR REMAINING 5 GAMES ? '

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:45 pm

' CAN WE WIN 4 FROM OUR REMAINING 5 GAMES ? '

Gutted. That game was a draw written all over it from the first to the last minute.

Walking out of their stadium, Fulham fans said we are the best team they have seen at Craven Cottage this season but that give little consolation to me leaving there defeated.

Throughout the game I was aware that Sheffield Wednesday were getting stuffed at Bristol City and a point was looking a positive result even though I felt before hand that a win was needed to stay in touch of the play offs.

City fielded a team that perhaps surprised us, Gunnarsson replaced O'Keefe in the middle but as suspected Tom Lawrence took the injured Anthony Pilkington's place.

Cardiff didn't look in much danger throughout the first half even though David Marshall did make a couple of decent saves from distance.

We didn't create a great deal ourselves but we took the lead through the impressive Lex Immers just before half time.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first half in my opinion but City suffered a set back early on when Fulham equalised.

The game petered towards a draw until Fulham snatched an unlikely winner in stoppage time.

Had Wednesday and Derby won today and we lost then maybe I would concede that our play hopes are over but there are a number of twists and turns just yet, we have 3 home games left to play and real six pointer against Sheffield Wednesday.

Games are running out but now our job is simple, we have to win our games because draws are unlikely to do us any favours, the question is can we win 4 of our remaining 5 games ?

Re: ' CAN WE WIN 4 FROM OUR REMAINING 5 GAMES ? '

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:48 pm

No

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:51 pm

We haven't all season. So no.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:51 pm

No way, but at least it gives us some spare Saturday's to get the important stuff in life done now. More to life than watching average football. Be glad when it's confirmed we can't do it to end all of this silly false hope!! CCFC, good effort but not quite good enough. Slade - not good enough.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:22 pm

We were never going to make the playoffs, certainly not under Russell Slade, the perpetual bridesmaid never been the bride manager, if we want Premiership football to watch we need two things to happen, one an owner to invest in the team, and two a far better manager than Russell Slade, do those two things and we might, just might get what we all want

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Tbh I wasn't expecting much this season , and I'm still not , anything for me this year is a bonus .With 5 games to go let's hope we continue to give it our best shot .That's all we can do Cmon city

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:39 pm

With fairness to RS. The way I see it teams who go up and certainly when we went all the pieces of the Jigsaw were in place, at the moment I'm afraid we are still short of 3 or 4 pieces .We've fallen short up top for me , no business no 9 in the chopra, earnie mold , until we get that we'll struggle .

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:42 pm

angelis1949 wrote:We were never going to make the playoffs, certainly not under Russell Slade, the perpetual bridesmaid never been the bride manager, if we want Premiership football to watch we need two things to happen, one an owner to invest in the team, and two a far better manager than Russell Slade, do those two things and we might, just might get what we all want

Spend money we don't have? Whatever you think about Vincent Tan he will have invested £130m by 2021 and we will be debt free.

We cannot go down the spending road again as it would be suicidal and this time we won't find a billionaire willing to bale us out. Russell Slade has done a good job and frankly decent managers who guarantee promotion on a shoe string don't grow on trees.

Rather than adopting the grass is greener mentality we should instead adopt a 'make the best of what we have got' culture which has produced promotion teams for other clubs on numerous occasions.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm

In my honest opinion NO

We are Def not consistent enough under Slade to win 4 games out of 5

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes, yes, yes. Until it's impossible, there's always a chance.

Absolutely devastated with how it finished today, i was excited by the team selection and felt we had this one at half time. 90th minute winners are a killer for the oposing teams fans and today we are all down and devastated by it.

Keeping as positive as i have been all season, we could be in the top six leaving griffin park!!

The season is not over yet, bring on QPR!!!!

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Slade stuffed up by leaving o'keefe out.apparatly he was rested.
with no mid week game next week that was a piss poor decision.
The only way we will make the play offs is if Wednesday do a dave jones.
they made a good start today. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Why do we need to win four from five Carl?

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm

stickywicket wrote:Slade stuffed up by leaving o'keefe out.apparatly he was rested.
they made a good start today. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Weds have got derby and Ipswich so anything is possible :old:

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm

stickywicket wrote:Slade stuffed up by leaving o'keefe out.apparatly he was rested.

When I seen no okeefe or Pilks I said we won't win, to see he was on bench confused me and presumed he had a knock. Mom last week. :bluebird:

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Stringfellow wrote:

When I seen no okeefe or Pilks I said we won't win, to see he was on bench confused me and presumed he had a knock. Mom last week. :bluebird:

Slade said O'Keefe was "rested". :o

He's a young professional sportsman who has just had a two week break from football and has been in excellent form in the last two games.

So what does Slade do? He "rotates" him. :thumbup:

We've got five games to go - is this the time to be "rotating" the team,especially after a decent performance at the league leaders in midweek?

Has Slade learned nothing in all his 700 odd games as a manager? His inexperience at this level has cost us again I'm afraid.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 am

I've said it all season a couple of wins on the trot and we would have been in the plays off positions can we win four on the trot cause we can this might be the time when they might do it

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:In my honest opinion NO

We are Def not consistent enough under Slade to win 4 games out of 5

this for me is one of the reasons Slade needs to go he has done a decent job but he doesn't have the killer instinct to kill teams off we lack a striker and that's down to Slade yes we didn't have much moneey but Slade has wasted money albeit smaller than Malky (cornelious) but he signed players clearly not good enough upfront in Revell,Doyle and Saadi (always injured) . You look back at Dave Jones when he had no money to spend and used the loan market superbly to make us a real threat at this level. Dave Jones could identify players that could turn into gems
Chopra as example when he first signed was a very small fee ,Bothroyd again the same ,Mckormac the same all these players signed for nexxt to nothing turned into quality players for us upfront, this is something Slade can't do and doesn't have the ability to do I think he's at most a manager who could manage in the championship but would never take you up

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 am

davids wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Slade said O'Keefe was "rested". :o

He's a young professional sportsman who has just had a two week break from football and has been in excellent form in the last two games.

So what does Slade do? He "rotates" him. :thumbup:

We've got five games to go - is this the time to be "rotating" the team,especially after a decent performance at the league leaders in midweek?

Has Slade learned nothing in all his 700 odd games as a manager? His inexperience at this level has cost us again I'm afraid.
Ridiculous decision and Slade has learned nothing he's only been decent for 2 months out of his tenure here (Feb to Now) lets remember in January everyone (just about) was calling for him to go and saying the embargo was a blessing as Slade couldn't f**k up anymore transfers. He's not the man to take us forward :sladeout:

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:06 am

darran1927 wrote:this for me is one of the reasons Slade needs to go he has done a decent job but he doesn't have the killer instinct to kill teams off we lack a striker and that's down to Slade yes we didn't have much moneey but Slade has wasted money albeit smaller than Malky (cornelious) but he signed players clearly not good enough upfront in Revell,Doyle and Saadi (always injured) . You look back at Dave Jones when he had no money to spend and used the loan market superbly to make us a real threat at this level. Dave Jones could identify players that could turn into gems
Chopra as example when he first signed was a very small fee ,Bothroyd again the same ,Mckormac the same all these players signed for nexxt to nothing turned into quality players for us upfront, this is something Slade can't do and doesn't have the ability to do I think he's at most a manager who could manage in the championship but would never take you up

Bit confused as you seem to be saying Dave Jones was a good manger because he couldn't get us promoted on a shoe string, but Slade has no ability because he also can't get us promoted on a shoe string :?

Slade's strikers have been disappointing but DJ also had a few dead ducks in that department which you don't mention. Lex was signed under Slade's watch and I would argue he is as good as any of the successful DJ signings. Also DJ had several goes at getting us promoted (& failed) where as RS has only had one full season. Finally DJ cost us £800,000pa where Slade costs a fraction of that to get us to practically the same position in the league.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:12 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
darran1927 wrote:this for me is one of the reasons Slade needs to go he has done a decent job but he doesn't have the killer instinct to kill teams off we lack a striker and that's down to Slade yes we didn't have much moneey but Slade has wasted money albeit smaller than Malky (cornelious) but he signed players clearly not good enough upfront in Revell,Doyle and Saadi (always injured) . You look back at Dave Jones when he had no money to spend and used the loan market superbly to make us a real threat at this level. Dave Jones could identify players that could turn into gems

Bit confused as you seem to be saying Dave Jones was a good manger because he couldn't get us promoted on a shoe string, but Slade has no ability because he also can't get us promoted on a shoe string :?

Slade's strikers have been disappointing but DJ also had a few dead ducks in that department which you don't mention. Lex was signed under Slade's watch and I would argue he is as good as any of the successful DJ signings. Also DJ had several goes at getting us promoted (& failed) where as RS has only had one full season. Finally DJ cost us £800,000pa where Slade costs a fraction of that to get us to practically the same position in the league.

I wasn't on about promotions(where did I mention promotins?) I was on about the difference between managers being able to identify good players on shoe string which Slade is clearly not aas good as Dave Jones was . Yes Lex is a good player but my point is Slade hasn't been able to identify a good striker on a shoe string and Dave Jones did and I listed 3 strikers he did this with

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 am

darran1927 wrote:

I wasn't on about promotions(where did I mention promotins?) I was on about the difference between managers being able to identify good players on shoe string which Slade is clearly not aas good as Dave Jones was . Yes Lex is a good player but my point is Slade hasn't been able to identify a good striker on a shoe string and Dave Jones did and I listed 3 strikers he did this with

If you were referring to DJ's ability to spot a potential striker when compared to Slade then why only mention Slade's failure's (no reference to Lex) and not mention DJ's failures?

FYI here is a list of DJ's finest Warren Feeney, Luigi Glombard, Kevin Campbell, Malvin Kamara, Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu, Eddie Johnson and Iwan Redan. We could also throw in the fortune spent on Robbie (always injured) Fowler or Jimmy (over the hill) Floyd Hasselbaink's wages.

So again I make the point that we paid DJ £800,000pa to 'find' gems like the above whilst Slade is paid a fraction of that to get us to the same position.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:00 pm

darran1927 wrote:

If you were referring to DJ's ability to spot a potential striker when compared to Slade then why only mention Slade's failure's (no reference to Lex) and not mention DJ's failures?

FYI here is a list of DJ's finest Warren Feeney, Luigi Glombard, Kevin Campbell, Malvin Kamara, Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu, Eddie Johnson and Iwan Redan. We could also throw in the fortune spent on Robbie (always injured) Fowler or Jimmy (over the hill) Floyd Hasselbaink's wages.

So again I make the point that we paid DJ £800,000pa to 'find' gems like the above whilst Slade is paid a fraction of that to get us to the same position.
Lex isn't a striker(hes a midfielder) and if you read my response I said "yes Lex is a good player"??? . Yes DJ made failures (what manager doesn't)but he made more good signings than bad , Slade has made more bad than good . I've listed 3 stikers DAve Jones made on as shoestring that were probably turned into 3 of the best strikers in the league what strikers has Slade signed Revell gone to MKDons in a relegation battle ,Doyle gone to Preston mid table and he barely scores , Saadi constantly injured and wwas sighned injured also, and Ameobi who is one the worst players I have seen

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:48 pm

We just hit some great form and beat some good teams and we still didn't make the play off positions. There is no chance in hell we win 4 out of 5, this team don't have it in them to do that.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:35 pm

I posted before the Derby home game that, with eight games left to go then, we would probably win three, & draw three,,,so we currently stand at W,D,L. Five games left, & I predict QPR home- D, Brentford away -D, Bolton home-W, Sheffield Wed away- L, & Birmingham home-W.

We will end the season on 71 points, IMO anyway,,,,but as many others have said in previous other posts, that's better than I expected at the start of this season.

The big question is, can City push on & improve next season? With our club clearly & finally getting things right off the pitch, I dearly hope so, & there's sure to be another end of season clear out of players who, in many cases, are simply not good enough, either at Championship level, or more importantly, have the ability or potential to "step Up" to a higher level!

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:We just hit some great form and beat some good teams and we still didn't make the play off positions. There is no chance in hell we win 4 out of 5, this team don't have it in them to do that.

I agree but why do we need to win four?

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:18 pm

No but nothing surprises me with CCFC but QPR is a Must Win Game, even a draw will be no use so just hope they put a Performance in :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Why do we need to win four from five Carl?

Because Gareth, we are five points behind Sheffield Wednesday who are in the final play off place at this current time. That means we have to win at least two more than Wednesday do.

I expect Wednesday to win their next two games, which are at home, versus Ipswich Town and MK Dons. They then play Derby away, if they lose that one and we have won against Bolton on the same day, providing we have beaten QPR and Brentford, the gap would be two points still.

We then go to Wednesday, if we won then we overtake them, but I don't see us getting a win there to be honest, if we drew then we would have to beat Birmingham on the final day and hope Wolves beat Wednesday at Molineux, we can't finish on the same points as Wednesday as our goal difference is so inferior.

Maybe Derby are the team that we hope to overtake and for that to happen Derby must lose a minimum of 3 of their 5 remaining games.

If they lose their next two games, versus Charlton and Bristol City, which are both away games, providing we have beaten QPR and Brentford, we will still be a point behind them when they face Wednesday at home, so even if they lose that one, they will have lost 3 in a row and us to have won all 3 at the same time to go two points clear of them with two to play.

In my opinion, I believe four wins is the most likely we would need to achieve a play off place and still need a spectacular fall by either Derby or Wednesday to overtake either of them.

It is possible of course.

Plus of course Russell believed we needed 4 wins from our final 7 games and in the last two we have drawn and lost.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:04 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Because Gareth, we are five points behind Sheffield Wednesday who are in the final play off place at this current time. That means we have to win at least two more than Wednesday do.

I expect Wednesday to win their next two games, which are at home, versus Ipswich Town and MK Dons. They then play Derby away, if they lose that one and we have won against Bolton on the same day, providing we have beaten QPR and Brentford, the gap would be two points still.

We then go to Wednesday, if we won then we overtake them, but I don't see us getting a win there to be honest, if we drew then we would have to beat Birmingham on the final day and hope Wolves beat Wednesday at Molineux, we can't finish on the same points as Wednesday as our goal difference is so inferior.

Maybe Derby are the team that we hope to overtake and for that to happen Derby must lose a minimum of 3 of their 5 remaining games.

If they lose their next two games, versus Charlton and Bristol City, which are both away games, providing we have beaten QPR and Brentford, we will still be a point behind them when they face Wednesday at home, so even if they lose that one, they will have lost 3 in a row and us to have won all 3 at the same time to go two points clear of them with two to play.

In my opinion, I believe four wins is the most likely we would need to achieve a play off place and still need a spectacular fall by either Derby or Wednesday to overtake either of them.

Plus of course Russell believed we needed 4 wins from our final 7 games and in the last two we have drawn and lost.

Very in depth and makes total sense, but being the championship it won't pan out like that. Did you expect a 4-1 defeat Sat? I don't think we will need 4 wins providing one of our wins comes at hills borough. We have however got 3 home games so achievable :thumbup:

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Very in depth and makes total sense, but being the championship it won't pan out like that. Did you expect a 4-1 defeat Sat? I don't think we will need 4 wins providing one of our wins comes at hills borough. We have however got 3 home games so achievable :thumbup:

The way I see it is if Wednesday win just one and draw one of their remaining games, that would mean us needing to win three just to be level on points. With our inferior goal difference that would'nt be enough, and I agree that in all probability we need to win at least four of our games to stand any chance. I would be surprised if Wednesday did'nt pick up another win or two.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:17 pm

We are not good enough simple as that .

Having to give our product away for free says it all really.

Amazed we are 7th in a very poor championship,the teams coming down
will have big money so I will not hold my breath for next season.