Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' So Did Cardiff City Do right? '

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:15 am

' So Did Cardiff City Do right? '

I was reading in one of my topics what Championship clubs had spent this season and you could say that if you speculate, you accumilate and by that that I mean if you want to progress in the Championship and get to the Premier League where a prize of up to £180million awaits you,you have to outlay some money and reap the rewards and of course its not just about spending money,the right manager has to be in place to spend it and manage the team.

As everyone knows,City had got themselves in the last 4-5 years in to a debt of over £140mill down to their over spending and failing to run the club properly in my opinion.
So the main priority was to reduce the debt and to be fair,it has come down to about £60mill-£80mill depending on what you read. So we have now been running our club more like a business behind the scenes.

But then you look at what the rewards would of been, if we had spent some money on say a striker,the rewards would of cleared our debt and left money in the clubs bank account and a club with sellout out crowds of 33,500,with merchandise hitting the £millions.

So City look like they will prob start next season in the Championship and with cheap season ticket sales already hitting around 10,000 sales,the crowds will be prob just above this current seasons,depending on what we do in the transfer market this summer?

Heres the list of what clubs have approx spent and where they are currently in the Championship.

Championship Approx Spending 2015/2016

1st - Burnley - £19.28m
2nd - Middlesbrough - £23.85m
3rd - Brighton - £10.09m
4th - Hull - £7.09m
5th - Derby - £25.55m
6th - Sheffield Wednesday - £10.17m
7th - Cardiff - £0
8th - Ipswich - £384k
9th - Birmingham City - £2.28m

' So the big questions are, did Cardiff City do right this season?

Should we have spent money?
Did we have the right manager?
Was the squad good enough?

Your Opinions/Views?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' So Did Cardiff City Do right? '

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 am

Yes

No money spent

But for the naivety of the management team we would have got promotion this year.

Next year will be more difficult. ..

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:40 am

Reply on Facebook

Pat Bagcatin Lyons
Every club can analyse the big "Ifs" . In the case of Cardiff we did not deserve to be in contention given the last few seasons, The appointment of Russel Slade made it such that we were. In the last year alone I believe Cardiff City have turned the corner and in my opinion have started a positive course of action that has engaged the fans again. The current style of football is simply brilliant. No more boring games

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:24 am

If spending and league position is such an exact science then what happened to us last season? I don't know the full amount but we signed Le Fonde, Morrison, Magna etc. and bombed. Fulham beat us yesterday but are 17th despite spending £11m on Ross McCormack.

The truth is money spent WELL will aid a promotion push. By that I mean instead of making signings for the sake of it (re-OGS), a club should target players they need who will make a difference at an affordable price, Lex being a prime example of a quality signing.

In theory there should be a decent amount of money available for transfer activity this summer, more if the likes of Marshall and Magna are sold.

Properly targeted players has to be the priority. For me the defence (left-back apart needs no tampering) the wings again are covered (with Pilkington returning) as is central midfield.

We should spend what we have on a couple of strikers to either add to what we have or replace them.

That said I would like to see both Zohore and Saadi given a 5 match run just to see if we have assets right under our nose.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:43 am

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.The very first thing to do was to stabilize the club and next season make a big push if we are unsuccessful this season.Russell Slade deserves huge credit for delivering this.I still believe our club has genuine premiership aspirations and now we are in a far better position to achieve this.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:06 am

At the start of the season I thought we were a mid table team at best, and that was based on the squad we had more than the person managing us. We are far higher than I thought we would be, and the play offs are still just about within reach, although it will be unlikely that we will actually get into the top six. I have never believed that Slade is the man to take us to the next level, and have always thought he was brought in to do a specific job, which was to stabilize the club during what was always going to be a difficult time. I think he has done what he was employed to do, and a lot depends on the ambitions of Tan now as to which direction this club will taker. We are in a far stronger position than we were a year ago, and only the most blinkered fans would have seriously thought we would be promoted this season. Most of us guessed that we would be a Championship club for the 2016/2017 season, and hopefully we can push on from here. It will be interesting to see if Tan thinks that Slade can get us to the PL, but I will support any player or manager who are prepared to try their best, and give 100% effort every week.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

BUT do you really believe that if he was given money he would spend it wisely?to be honest the side only seems to perform better and the formation better when changes are ususlly FORCED on him

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:05 am

john52 wrote:BUT do you really believe that if he was given money he would spend it wisely?to be honest the side only seems to perform better and the formation better when changes are ususlly FORCED on him

No I don't think he would spend it wisely .
The club did the right thing the finances just had to be sorted if they weren't sorted eventually we wouldn't have a club to support.
Did they make the right appointment? I was wide eyed when we appointed him , he's done better than I thought but he inherited a good squad he got rid of the dross we had at the club and signed players to replace the who wanted to playfor us but are the players good enough he signed? the majority aren't good enough the lack of fire power up front has cost us Slade signed 3 strikers and 2 are now out on loan and the 3rd is injury prone . I don't think the club made the right appointment but he has done a decent job

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:39 pm

We need to be patient with the likes of Siade which I am afraid we haven't got like was said about Leicester when they signed Vardy he didn't score a lot in the first season there would be people on this site saying get rid he is rubbish.

Sometimes spending lots of money doesn't work , if Derby fail and they could yet, they spent the most money and Leicester could win the premiership and I really hope they do and look what they spent to the likes of Liverpool Man UTD Man City etc .

Going into next season I think we should spend on a good striker as that is all we are missing and Slade picking up Immers shows he is not that bad is he