Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' RUSSELL SLADE? ? HMMMM?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:13 am

' RUSSELL SLADE? ? HMMMM?

I admitted I was never a Slade fan from the begining,but this season,Slade had started to win me over and I was prepared to give him a chance next season.
But when you can't beat clubs like Reading,Fulham,QPR and Brentford who have nothing to play for,this does not inspire me at all.

Under Slade we can't even beat sides like MK Dons and Rotherham :shock:

At the moment City have sold over 10,000 season tickets for 2016-17 season at cheap prices and a price freeze.
I don't see this hitting 18,000 sales, what the club thought they would get, if Slade stays at Cardiff City for next season.

Plus Slade has brought in approx 17 players and yet only about 4 players play week in week out.

Slade also fails to inspire the South Wales footballing public.

He also never takes the blame for bad results or bad performances.

If Slade does get the job again,of course I will back Cardiff City as usual as they are my club.

It will be interesting to see if Tan trust Slade with money? ? ?

Give him till May and then lets start a fresh :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' RUSSELL SLADE? ? HMMMM?

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:18 am

I still back him provided he starts learning from his mistakes.

It is fair to give him this season, his first full season in charge and despite the disappointment of losing out on the top 6, a 7th place finish is still a good return all things considered.

Next season there are no excuses and I believe in fortune favours the bold. Over to you RS time to be bold.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:45 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I still back him provided he starts learning from his mistakes.

It is fair to give him this season, his first full season in charge and despite the disappointment of losing out on the top 6, a 7th place finish is still a good return all things considered.

Next season there are no excuses and I believe in fortune favours the bold. Over to you RS time to be bold.

Tony, Do you think he's learning from his mistakes?
I did until the last 3 weeks

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 pm

We were never going to get promoted with Slade this season or any season. He is no more than an average 4th Div manager, tactically naiive at Championship level and intransigent. He never reacts to tactical switches made by the opposition whilst his insistence on playing the peripheral Whittingham and ludicrously playing the left footed Noone on the right for the last 18 months is poor.

StT.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:We were never going to get promoted with Slade this season or any season. He is no more than an average 4th Div manager, tactically naiive at Championship level and intransigent. He never reacts to tactical switches made by the opposition whilst his insistence on playing the peripheral Whittingham and ludicrously playing the left footed Noone on the right for the last 18 months is poor.

StT.

Steve, If the club has ambition they won't keep him.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 pm

I really don't think Slade can take us any further than he has already, Dave Jones springs to mind but I think he would have taken us further with the money Malky had. I was starting to warm to Slade but as you say Annis, the last 3 weeks has got me thinking again whether in fact he can take us any further and I've come to the conclusion that he cannot.
We should get a new manager in now, (Warnock would be my choice), so he can rebuild the team ready for an onslaught next season. That of course is my opinion which some will disagree with and some will agree. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Hes been managing football teams for a hundered years so if he hasnt learnt yet he never will. He has acheived alot but I cant see him acheiving anymore.

The big question is who will work under Tan? Hmmm

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:40 pm

It has always been the case with some posters on this forum that slag off Slade at every opportunity.
It only takes a few bad results for the negativity to return.
At the start of the season they were saying that we would be fighting relegation under Slade and he could not manage at this level.
Well he has proved conclusively that he can and even now we still have a chance of making the playoffs.
It is a long season and all teams
have dips in form and bad results.
Slade has done a great job under the circumstances with the large bloated squad of players he inherited.He got the team playing for each other and brought in some good players.As with all managers some didn't work out but some have,O Keefe and Immers in particular.
Let's fully support the team for the last 3 games and there might still be some twist and turns to come.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:01 pm

He's in a cushy position, better wages than he has ever had and in control of a giant of a club.

He is not able to deal with it and his play and tactics are there for all to see, so he won't change.

It's my club too but I won't be back until he has gone :sladeout:

If he stays most people will feel let down, especially when a few of our players depart and they will.

He might be on peanuts compared to other Managers we have had but as we can see you only get what you pay for. :sladeout:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Been on the fence for a while and said he should be judged at the end of season which is where I are right now although you never give up until it's over. It looks like my initial view of Slade earlier in season is where I am at now, which was done a good job under difficult circumstances, has taken us forward, cleaned up a mess and laid solid foundations to go forward. However, I would thank him at the end and let a new man build on the foundations that have been laid. It might seem doom and gloom right now but we are 7th have a great home record, decent midfield and defence it just needs building on :thumbup:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Majorca Blue wrote:I really don't think Slade can take us any further than he has already, Dave Jones springs to mind but I think he would have taken us further with the money Malky had. I was starting to warm to Slade but as you say Annis, the last 3 weeks has got me thinking again whether in fact he can take us any further and I've come to the conclusion that he cannot.
We should get a new manager in now, (Warnock would be my choice), so he can rebuild the team ready for an onslaught next season. That of course is my opinion which some will disagree with and some will agree. :ayatollah:

Steve, I really was starting to give Slade a chance and I was actually believing he could do it.
But I think I got carried away. Slades done a great job for Tan,but now time to move on.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:37 pm

lyndipops wrote:Hes been managing football teams for a hundered years so if he hasnt learnt yet he never will. He has acheived alot but I cant see him acheiving anymore.

The big question is who will work under Tan? Hmmm

750 games in the lower division.

But 60 odd games now in the Championship,so he should of learnt by now I agree.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Quakerman wrote:It has always been the case with some posters on this forum that slag off Slade at every opportunity.
At the start of the season they were saying that we would be fighting relegation under Slade and he could not manage at this level.
Well he has proved conclusively that he can and even now we still have a chance of making the playoffs.
Slade has done a great job under the circumstances with the large bloated squad of players he inherited.He got the team playing for each other and brought in some good players.As with all managers some didn't work out but some have,O Keefe and Immers in particular.
Let's fully support the team for the last 3 games and there might still be some twist and turns to come.

I thought we would be in a relegation battle this season under Slade and he's proved me totally wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But Slade has wasted opportunity after opportunity against the lowed cHampionship clubs,so yes I feel down at the moment.

I have praised Slade when he has proved me wrong :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Majorca Blue wrote:I really don't think Slade can take us any further than he has already, Dave Jones springs to mind but I think he would have taken us further with the money Malky had. I was starting to warm to Slade but as you say Annis, the last 3 weeks has got me thinking again whether in fact he can take us any further and I've come to the conclusion that he cannot.

Steve, I really was starting to give Slade a chance and I was actually believing he could do it.
But I think I got carried away. Slades done a great job for Tan,but now time to move on.

Spot on Annis, he has done a great job for Tan but it is now time to move on :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Slade is now an established championship manager now and has us flirting with the play offs and being payed for peanuts value for money I'd say wether he can make the extra step if he plays with strikers it will help. :laughing6:

Re: ' RUSSELL SLADE? ? HMMMM? FAO: Quakerman

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Quakerman, my position on Slade has not been governed by, 'a few bad results,' as you say. When appointed, 18 months ago, I said he was not a man with whom we'd get promotion. His managerial record would tell anyone that. With no promotions in the bottom two divisions in 20 years he was not going to get one at Championship level. If he had potential he would have had managerial posts in the top divisions long before Tan came calling. In fact Leyton Orient were on the point of sacking him when City appointed him.

I have consistently believed that with Slade we would never get promoted for the reasons stated in an earlier post above.

StT.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:Quakerman, my position on Slade has not been governed by, 'a few bad results,' as you say. When appointed, 18 months ago, I said he was not a man with whom we'd get promotion. His managerial record would tell anyone that. With no promotions in the bottom two divisions in 20 years he was not going to get one at Championship level. If he had potential he would have had managerial posts in the top divisions long before Tan came calling. In fact Leyton Orient were on the point of sacking him when City appointed him.

I have consistently believed that with Slade we would never get promoted for the reasons stated in an earlier post above.

StT.

Totally agree from day one .

A doctor once said to me as far as diagnosis is concerned

"Common things occur commonly "

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:He's in a cushy position, better wages than he has ever had and in control of a giant of a club.

He is not able to deal with it and his play and tactics are there for all to see, so he won't change.

It's my club too but I won't be back until he has gone :sladeout:

If he stays most people will feel let down, especially when a few of our players depart and they will.

He might be on peanuts compared to other Managers we have had but as we can see you only get what you pay for. :sladeout:

Karl, Im not a massive fan of Slade,but I do believe he deserves some praise for this season.

Don't stay away just because of a manager :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Been on the fence for a while and said he should be judged at the end of season which is where I are right now although you never give up until it's over. It looks like my initial view of Slade earlier in season is where I am at now, which was done a good job under difficult circumstances, has taken us forward, cleaned up a mess and laid solid foundations to go forward. However, I would thank him at the end and let a new man build on the foundations that have been laid. It might seem doom and gloom right now but we are 7th have a great home record, decent midfield and defence it just needs building on :thumbup:

Gareth, I have to agree with most of that :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:Quakerman, my position on Slade has not been governed by, 'a few bad results,' as you say. When appointed, 18 months ago, I said he was not a man with whom we'd get promotion. His managerial record would tell anyone that. With no promotions in the bottom two divisions in 20 years he was not going to get one at Championship level. If he had potential he would have had managerial posts in the top divisions long before Tan came calling. In fact Leyton Orient were on the point of sacking him when City appointed him.

StT.

When Slade was appointed we were 17th in the Championship with a huge playing squad that cost a fortune with no clear direction from OGS after being relegated from the Premier League, and we were in danger of a second successive relegation.
Slade was told to cut costs dramatically and reduce the size of the playing staff and keep us in the Championship.
We finished 11th last season and have improved this season to challenge for a play off place with no or little money spent as the club have had to try and balance the books.
Bigger clubs are well below us in the league table such as Wolves, Leeds and Bolton to name a few and the ones above us have spent a lot of money this season.
Malky Mackay was given a £10million budget when we got promoted, Derby ,Sheffield Wednesday Middlesborough Burnley, Hull and Brighton have all spent double or more than that this season and only 2 of them will get automatic promotion.
Slade has done a great job in difficult circumstances and should be allowed another season to further improve the team if we don't make the play offs.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Quakerman wrote:

StT.

When Slade was appointed we were 17th in the Championship with a huge playing squad that cost a fortune with no clear direction from OGS after being relegated from the Premier League, and we were in danger of a second successive relegation.
Slade was told to cut costs dramatically and reduce the size of the playing staff and keep us in the Championship.
We finished 11th last season and have improved this season to challenge for a play off place with no or little money spent as the club have had to try and balance the books.
Bigger clubs are well below us in the league table such as Wolves, Leeds and Bolton to name a few and the ones above us have spent a lot of money this season.
Malky Mackay was given a £10million budget when we got promoted, Derby ,Sheffield Wednesday Middlesborough Burnley, Hull and Brighton have all spent double or more than that this season and only 2 of them will get automatic promotion.
Slade has done a great job in difficult circumstances and should be allowed another season to further improve the team if we don't make the play offs.

Well said. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:Slade is now an established championship manager now and has us flirting with the play offs and being payed for peanuts value for money I'd say wether he can make the extra step if he plays with strikers it will help. :laughing6:

You shouldn't be needing tell a manager to play strikers to win games in the Championship, he's a bafoon,strikers on the bench last few matches at business end of the season and not bringing them on until 80 odd minutes , the sooner he goes the better :sladeout:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Cardiff have won just three of their eleven games against sides in the bottom six, a record that compares poorly to their rivals., thats the reason why we have failed to get ourselves in the top 6.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:31 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:Slade is now an established championship manager now and has us flirting with the play offs and being payed for peanuts value for money I'd say wether he can make the extra step if he plays with strikers it will help. :laughing6:

You shouldn't be needing tell a manager to play strikers to win games in the Championship, he's a bafoon,strikers on the bench last few matches at business end of the season and not bringing them on until 80 odd minutes , the sooner he goes the better :sladeout:

But I don't think he will go so sooner he learns the better. ;)

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Quakerman wrote:

StT.

Dave Jones inherited a squad that only just survived a relegation to league one , he had next to nothing to spend yet he within 2 seasons we were playing good attacking football , MADE the playoffs , he signed good quality players for little or no money some of which are still playing today (Marshall, Whitts) Jones had it worse than Slade . Slade inherited a squad relegated from the Prem but still had the core of players who won us the league previously (Marshall,Noone,Whitts,Super Kev,Gunnarsson,Turner,Connoly,Ralls,Mason) plus some others we signed in the Premiership he cut costs yes but the players he got rid of were not playing or not good enough

These players all went to diff clubs permanant (the last 2 were signed by Slade)
Kevin Theophile-Catherine ,Ben Nugent ,Kevin McNaughton , Etien Velikonja,Javi Guerra,Nicky Maynard , Joe Mason ,Alex Revell ,Gabriel Tamas

Players out on loan
Joe Lewis Fulham 24 Aug, 2015 (backup gk)
Semi Ajayi Crewe 23 Nov, 2015 (youngster)
Declan John Chesterfield 19 Feb, 2016 (Slade not giving him a chance)
Adedeji Oshilaja Gillingham 18 Mar, 2016 (youngster)
Matthew Kennedy Port Vale 25 Jan, 2016 (what happened to him )
Tom Adeyemi Leeds 14 Jul, 2015 (wasn't playing before and not playing at Leeds)
Tommy O'Sullivan Newport Co 10 Mar, 2016 (youngster)
Eoin Doyle Preston 01 Sep, 2015 (slade signing )
Federico Macheda Nottm Forest 13 Mar, 2016 (crap)
Rhys Healey Dundee 01 Sep, 2015 (youngster)
Adam Le Fondre Wolves 03 Aug, 2015 (useless)
Kenywnne Jones (1st team player at the time until January)

players released

Jaye Bowen 01 Jul, 2015
Maximiliano Amondarain 01 Jul, 2015
Gethin Hill 01 Jul, 2015
Kane Owen 01 Jul, 2015
Anthony Bell 01 Jul, 2015
Danny Gabbidon 01 Jul, 2015
Bradley Wickham 01 Jul, 2015

So the players he got rid of were hardly used anyway , he inherited a good team of players that he still uses so he's not exactly had it hard as he seems to claim

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:' RUSSELL SLADE? ? HMMMM?

I admitted I was never a Slade fan from the begining,but this season,Slade had started to win me over and I was prepared to give him a chance next season.
But when you can't beat clubs like Reading,Fulham,QPR and Brentford who have nothing to play for,this does not inspire me at all.

Under Slade we can't even beat sides like MK Dons and Rotherham :shock:

At the moment City have sold over 10,000 season tickets for 2016-17 season at cheap prices and a price freeze.
I don't see this hitting 18,000 sales, what the club thought they would get, if Slade stays at Cardiff City for next season.

Plus Slade has brought in approx 17 players and yet only about 4 players play week in week out.

Slade also fails to inspire the South Wales footballing public.

He also never takes the blame for bad results or bad performances.

If Slade does get the job again,of course I will back Cardiff City as usual as they are my club.

It will be interesting to see if Tan trust Slade with money? ? ?

Give him till May and then lets start a fresh :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Neil warnock or pearson

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Quakerman wrote:

StT.

Dave Jones inherited a squad that only just survived a relegation to league one , he had next to nothing to spend yet he within 2 seasons we were playing good attacking football , MADE the playoffs , he signed good quality players for little or no money some of which are still playing today (Marshall, Whitts) Jones had it worse than Slade . Slade inherited a squad relegated from the Prem but still had the core of players who won us the league previously (Marshall,Noone,Whitts,Super Kev,Gunnarsson,Turner,Connoly,Ralls,Mason) plus some others we signed in the Premiership he cut costs yes but the players he got rid of were not playing or not good enough

These players all went to diff clubs permanant (the last 2 were signed by Slade)
Kevin Theophile-Catherine ,Ben Nugent ,Kevin McNaughton , Etien Velikonja,Javi Guerra,Nicky Maynard , Joe Mason ,Alex Revell ,Gabriel Tamas

Players out on loan

players released

Jaye Bowen 01 Jul, 2015
Gethin Hill 01 Jul, 2015
Kane Owen 01 Jul, 2015

So the players he got rid of were hardly used anyway , he inherited a good team of players that he still uses so he's not exactly had it hard as he seems to claim

Dave Jones was at Cardiff for 6 years and given time ,made the play offs in 2010 after 5 years in charge so my point is Russell Slade should be given more time to improve the team.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Quakerman wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
Quakerman wrote:

StT.

Players out on loan

players released

Jaye Bowen 01 Jul, 2015
Gethin Hill 01 Jul, 2015
Kane Owen 01 Jul, 2015

Dave Jones was at Cardiff for 6 years and given time ,made the play offs in 2010 after 5 years in charge so my point is Russell Slade should be given more time to improve the team.

4 years it was 2009/10 season made playoffs,Jones started 2005/06 (meant in 2 years he got us to an fa cup final) but we were playing much better football under him,than we are with Slade and Jones inherited a far inferiour squad than Slade and Jones had next to nothing to spend

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I still back him provided he starts learning from his mistakes.

He never learns from his mistakes, he gave it a go and nearly got lucky, but IMO that is all he has done Got Lucky, however it has now run out, You can not play without a Striker, you may get away with it for a bit, but then you get found out, It is not Pilkington's fault, he tried his best, 3 strikers on the bench yesterday !!!! Thanks for trying Russell, you are a decent man however we need someone better for next season. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Quakerman wrote:It has always been the case with some posters on this forum that slag off Slade at every opportunity.

I will support him as long as he is manager of our club, that what supporters should do, support your club through the good and bad times, he gave it his best shot however it wasn't to be, nice guy but we need someone better, I seem to remember Slade backers saying we are are in the Play Offs so back off, well we are not now !!! :ayatollah: