Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED '

Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 am

' WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED '

My View/Opinion

For me when it really mattered and when the pressure was on just to reach 6th place Russell Slade in my opinion did not know how to cope with it,be it the pressure or on how to change his tactics and thats why Cardiff City failed to even just reach the play-offs in a Championship that was very mediocre this season,with no real runaway team.

The six truly vital games yielded a miserable total of five points – all of these came at home to ensure that City’s impressive record of having lost only twice at Cardiff City Stadium was maintained, but they were only good enough to beat bottom team Bolton, who had been playing with ten men for around an hour, thanks to a penalty deep into added time.

Away from home, it was losses all of the way as City subsided disappointedly at Fulham and Brentford and, to all intents and purposes, didn’t turn up for the “Play Off showdown” at Sheffield Wednesday which ended in their heaviest defeat of the campaign.

So for me,we were never ever really in it to make the top 6 and did not deserve it.

I honestly believe we should thanks Russell Slade for bringing stability on and off the pitch but thats as far as Slade can take us.
So I would not be making Slade head of Football, as a good manager would not look up to him.

Ive also been thinking,the manager answers to Ken Choo,then Dalman,then of course Vincent Tan.

So what really will Russell Slades job be?
Apparently Slade himself does not know?

' LAST SIX GAMES '

09/04/2016 Fulham 2 Cardiff City 1 :o Crowd 17,147 Away( 1,950 )

16/04/2016 Cardiff City 0 Queens Park Rangers 0 Crowd 27,874. Away( 810 )

19/04/2016 Brentford 2 Cardiff City 1 :shock: Crowd 8,363 Away( 580 )

23/04/2016 Cardiff City 2 Bolton Wanderers 1 Crowd 24,189 Away( 280 )

30/04/2016 Sheffield Wednesday 3 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: Crowd 31,843 Away(980)

07/05/2016 12:30 Cardiff City 1 Birmingham City 1 Crowd 21,022 Away( 2,100 )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED '

Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 am

Think he will oversee general football side at the club, ie academy structure, scouting and liasing with Tans other clubs for players etc. Just that will keep him busy as far as the new coach is concerned players and transfers etc will be his baby!

Mon May 09, 2016 7:33 am

I think TAN is just rewarding his honesty, Slade is a yes man and a man he trusts unlike previous managers that's all this is. In my opinion slade will soon get an offer from a lower league club and be off to manage them to league safety.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:00 am

I think it came down to a lack of tactical nous, and you look at Burnley and they got strikers banging the goals in a department we've lacked in for quite sometime now. Hopefully whoever comes in will take a punt on a young hungry striker and maybe a more experienced striker but can only hope. Time will tell no doubt.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 am

I think it came down to a lack of tactical nous, and you look at Burnley and they got strikers banging the goals in a department we've lacked in for quite sometime now. Hopefully whoever comes in will take a punt on a young hungry striker and maybe a more experienced striker but can only hope. Time will tell no doubt.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 am

Even worse, we went into those final six games with all the momentum on our side. Slade bottled it, and we missed out as a result.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 am

Dessy1927 wrote:I think it came down to a lack of tactical nous, and you look at Burnley and they got strikers banging the goals in a department we've lacked in for quite sometime now. Hopefully whoever comes in will take a punt on a young hungry striker and maybe a more experienced striker but can only hope. Time will tell no doubt.

We also need more attack minded midfield players who are willing to get into the penalty area without getting a nose bleed

Mon May 09, 2016 9:06 am

Pulisnewport wrote:Think he will oversee general football side at the club, ie academy structure, scouting and liasing with Tans other clubs for players etc. Just that will keep him busy as far as the new coach is concerned players and transfers etc will be his baby!

Karl, as we know Slade is not a big fan of our youngsters and also the majority of the players he has brought in were failures.
On average we played about 3 players regularly of his 17 signings.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am

Partly slade. Partly the players just not being good enough.

Im not devastated hes gone but think he done well here overall. Hopefully the fans give the next manner a chance from the start this time

Mon May 09, 2016 9:19 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:Think he will oversee general football side at the club, ie academy structure, scouting and liasing with Tans other clubs for players etc. Just that will keep him busy as far as the new coach is concerned players and transfers etc will be his baby!

Karl, as we know Slade is not a big fan of our youngsters and also the majority of the players he has brought in were failures.

Annis, I fully agree with other posters he will be gone when offered another job.

When the new coach/ manager comes on I fully expect him to keep an eye on the under 21 and academy players as this is where the future is!

Personally I would loan out all my under 21 side and play under 18s in the development to bring them on quicker.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:23 am

2014ccfc28 wrote:I think TAN is just rewarding his honesty, Slade is a yes man and a man he trusts unlike previous managers that's all this is. In my opinion slade will soon get an offer from a lower league club and be off to manage them to league safety.

To be fair he's done an excellent job for Tan as Tan was up shit creek with Cardiff City and Slade has steady the sinking ship.
But nows the time to move on regarding the playing side :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I think Slade will get quite a few offers from lower League clubs.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

Dessy1927 wrote:I think it came down to a lack of tactical nous, and you look at Burnley and they got strikers banging the goals in a department we've lacked in for quite sometime now. Hopefully whoever comes in will take a punt on a young hungry striker and maybe a more experienced striker but can only hope. Time will tell no doubt.

Dessy, All season we knew we had a problem upfront but it was never really addressed.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:51 am

KWest wrote:Even worse, we went into those final six games with all the momentum on our side. Slade bottled it, and we missed out as a result.

I agree we were on a great momentum and fans like myself were being won over,but Slade showed that he did not have what it takes to get over the final hurdle.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

paulh_85 wrote:Partly slade. Partly the players just not being good enough.

Im not devastated hes gone but think he done well here overall. Hopefully the fans give the next manner a chance from the start this time

Paulh, I do agree players should take some responsibility but for me the final buck lyes with the manager.

Yes Im excited already by next season :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis, I fully agree with other posters he will be gone when offered another job.

When the new coach/ manager comes on I fully expect him to keep an eye on the under 21 and academy players as this is where the future is!

Personally I would loan out all my under 21 side and play under 18s in the development to bring them on quicker.

Karl, in my opinion Slade will def be wanted by lower league clubs and rightly so :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I want to see some of our youngsters coming through next season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 09, 2016 11:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:
KWest wrote:Even worse, we went into those final six games with all the momentum on our side. Slade bottled it, and we missed out as a result.

I agree we were on a great momentum and fans like myself were being won over,but Slade showed that he did not have what it takes to get over the final hurdle.

I still can't believe how we capitulated over the final 5 and half games. We got a great point at Burnley even though unfairly points wise we fell further behind Sheffield W at the time.

However, looking at our run in I fully expected us to claw that back and overhaul Wednesday and even Derby.

1-0 up at Fulham at half-time and all was on course. We'll never know what happened at that team talk but it all went pear shaped from there.

I believed in the man all season but just like Dave Jones he fell apart at the business end of the season.

Mon May 09, 2016 11:57 am

Who would have thought "Cardiff doing a Cardiff" :lol: :lol:

Something in our DNA. The only constant is the fans. :?

Mon May 09, 2016 12:55 pm

To me I don't think it was the pressure or anything like that, to me Slade was very consistent with his approach and the way he did things. Everything was far to slow from pace of play to the time it took him to change anything before or during games. Massively predictable in everything, massively defensive and yes I still cant get my head around having 3 CB's on the bench :lol: .

I kept reading what a nice guy he was or seemed, I didn't really get that from his interviews or anything just frustration and stubbornness.

Never liked him, glad he is gone, onwards and upwards.

Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I still can't believe how we capitulated over the final 5 and half games. We got a great point at Burnley even though unfairly points wise we fell further behind Sheffield W at the time.

However, looking at our run in I fully expected us to claw that back and overhaul Wednesday and even Derby.

1-0 up at Fulham at half-time and all was on course. We'll never know what happened at that team talk but it all went pear shaped from there.

I believed in the man all season but just like Dave Jones he fell apart at the business end of the season.

Nor Can I Tony and it was not as even if most them were tough teams,most of them had nothing to play for.

Mon May 09, 2016 4:46 pm

angelis1949 wrote:

We also need more attack minded midfield players who are willing to get into the penalty area without getting a nose bleed

Hahah yeah but can't see us spending loads so strike force would be key area for me, then it depends on how ambitious we are going to be

Mon May 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Dessy, All season we knew we had a problem upfront but it was never really addressed.

I know Annis it's been our weakest department for quite sometime even prem we didn't sort or address it and it can be the diference everytime

Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I know Annis it's been our weakest department for quite sometime even prem we didn't sort or address it and it can be the diference everytime

Mon May 09, 2016 7:19 pm

Hard to argue against the facts stated in the OP ;)