" Chris Coleman's magnificent response "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:52 am

Chris Coleman's magnificent response when English media ask if he would take England job

Monday 4th July 2016

BY CHRIS WATHAN

The Wales manager had a categoric answer ready for English journalists

Wales boss Chris Coleman says he would never even contemplate the prospect of managing England.

“But to manage another country? No, I wouldn't. That's not something I would consider.”

Coleman's stock has soared over the past few weeks as he's masterminded Wales' remarkable journey to the semi-finals of Euro 2016.

And, with a large English press pack arriving at Wales' team base this week ahead of Wednesday's historic match against Portugal, it was cheekily suggested he could be a possible contender to replace Roy Hodgson as the Three Lions lick their wounds following their Euro exit at the hands of Iceland.

But Coleman, who signed a new two-year deal to lead Wales through their World Cup qualifying just before the tournament, was categoric in his response.

“It's not something that would ever, ever enter my thinking. I could never rule that in," he said.

"I'm a Welshman through and through and I've only ever wanted to manage Wales internationally. It would only ever be Wales.

“I've always said my next job after Wales, whenever that is, will probably be abroad because I want to manage in the Champions League and I think that would be my best chance.

“But to manage another country? No, I wouldn't. That's not something I would consider.”

Wales' success is only plunging England into further introspection as they enviously see the incredible achievements being made by a team they thought they would beat to top spot in Group B.

And it has not escaped notice that Wales have already matched their best-ever run in the European Championships, winning as many knockout games in one tournament as the Three Lions have mustered since making it to the last four of Euro '96, 20 years ago.

England's one win in France was the last-gasp win over Wales in Lens, but now experts are saying the English FA should learn lessons from Wales.

Yet Coleman insisted he isn't interested in sharing the secrets, adding: “I've no idea what's being said but all I know is that the bigger countries have got to get into quarter finals, semi-finals, final. We didn’t. We had to come and perform for us, for inside our camp. I thought we had a good chance of getting to the quarter final but I never came out and said to the players: ‘that is what we can do.’ “We just take it game by game and that’s all we’ve ever done. It’s boring. Anyone who listens to me talk, I say the same thing.”
Attachments
JS93980562.jpg
JS93980562.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 6929 times
JS93976993.jpg
JS93976993.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 6930 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Chris Coleman's magnificent response "

Postby AfricanBluebird » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm

He might have shot himself in the foot there.

It's one thing to say he'll never manage England but another thing to say he'll never manage another country ever!

There are a number of countries who could come calling when he has finished with Wales and finished at club level that would be quite appalling for him.

Probably best just to say he is concentrating on Wales alone.
AfricanBluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Im sure he believes that but agree its a bit of a silly thing to say as these type of things usually come back to bite you.

After his next club job should he fail no doubt another international team would come calling after this success with Wales
2blue2handle

Postby SwampCCFC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:43 pm

every dog has its day. coleman's was euro 2016.

it will be interesting to see how he does in his next job without a superstar that has earned him almost all of his wins*. he is a solid manager, but seems to have a very high opinion of himself and as such, i doubt he has the humility to realise that without Mr Bale, he would have had his p45 long ago.

* thats easy, just look at his record prior to wales
SwampCCFC

Postby norms76 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:40 pm

He'd look a bit silly in the future by taking another international job now.

Certain things have an habit of biting you in the bum, his mate Gary Monk could vouch for that after coming out with that quote about Leeds Utd some time back, look where he is now.
norms76

Postby EalingBluebird » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:51 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:every dog has its day. coleman's was euro 2016.

it will be interesting to see how he does in his next job without a superstar that has earned him almost all of his wins*. he is a solid manager, but seems to have a very high opinion of himself and as such, i doubt he has the humility to realise that without Mr Bale, he would have had his p45 long ago.

What absolute rubbish. You don't happen to work for a bitter English media do you?

He had a very good club management career regardless of the myth many people against him with to try and peddle - and is Wales most successful international manager of all time... By some distance. Many clubs and countries have superstars, we have had a certain Ryan Giggs for over a decade - not many achieve what he has though. He is a credit to our country and you should show the man a bit more respect.

As for the thread in hand, what on earth is silly about that. He doesn't want to manage a nation he has not got a passion for. I don't think that is at all a shocking statement. Fair play to him.

I said before the group stages that he could win the Euros and some of our Cardiff based fans will still try to find some mud to sling at him. Quite pathetic and extremely tiresome.
EalingBluebird

Postby rontom » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:30 pm

When Mourino was asked who is the best man management manager in the Premier League, he did not state Alex Ferguson but said it was Chris Coleman
rontom

Postby EalingBluebird » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:06 pm

rontom wrote:

When Mourino was asked who is the best man management manager in the Premier League, he did not state Alex Ferguson but said it was Chris Coleman

Gareth Bale was asked last week:- "What has happened within this Welsh side in the last few years to become what we are seeing today"

His answer:- "In all honesty.. Chris Coleman".

It's convenient how many choose to ignore Gary Speeds club management career which is probably one of the worst in Welsh International management history. Didnt he take Sheff Utd to rock bottom of the league before Wales bizarrely stepping in? Colemans club and international record is Mount Everest compared to Speeds Pen Y Fan - but it's not fashionable to highlight that of course.

No manager will again come close to what he has achieved with Wales in all our lifetimes. Of that I am sure.
EalingBluebird

Postby Dessy1927 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Why all the fuss maybe he's patriotic, has certain ambitions he wants to fulfil and doesn't see that with another country whoopdy woo, let's get on his back before Wales play a semi final. Classy
Dessy1927

Postby nubbsy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:56 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:

What absolute rubbish. You don't happen to work for a bitter English media do you?

He had a very good club management career regardless of the myth many people against him with to try and peddle - and is Wales most successful international manager of all time... By some distance. Many clubs and countries have superstars, we have had a certain Ryan Giggs for over a decade - not many achieve what he has though. He is a credit to our country and you should show the man a bit more respect.

As for the thread in hand, what on earth is silly about that. He doesn't want to manage a nation he has not got a passion for. I don't think that is at all a shocking statement. Fair play to him.

I said before the group stages that he could win the Euros and some of our Cardiff based fans will still try to find some mud to sling at him. Quite pathetic and extremely tiresome.

Agreed, completely disrespectful and idiotic comments.
nubbsy

Postby SwampCCFC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:16 pm

err, its called having a different opinion, is that allowed?

he will not manage wales forever, so we will see. his career was heading for the toilet before the FAW gave him a job. at times, the way bale was playing, there were games which a 5 year old could have managed us to the same result.

to be honest i take little notice of current players opinions on their manager. for the very simple reason that its not in players interests to be brutally honest until the manager is out of the door. why not talk to his chairman at sociedad who was shocked to find him turning up late for work because of night clubbing? there are two sides to every story.

i can't argue that luck is on his side - having the second best player in the world at the moment, and an expanded euros - under the old system we would have been in the play offs - not once have i seen him acknowledge this. whether or not he's a good manager, i think he is incredibly arrogant in relation to what he has achieved in the game, which has clearly influenced my opinion of him. god knows what he'll be like after this tournament.
SwampCCFC

Postby EalingBluebird » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Come back on April the first mate, you are being utterly pathetic. You do realise that our ethos, and subsequent success, is based on defensive tactical organisation and sees us having one of the best defensive records in Europe (I should now point out that Bale is not a defender and not part of that base).

Until then, the rest of the world will enjoy the most successful manager in Welsh footballing history continuing to lead the most successful team (not just bale) through their most successful period ever seen. :thumbright:
EalingBluebird

Postby Daya » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:Chris Coleman's magnificent response when English media ask if he would take England job

Monday 4th July 2016

BY CHRIS WATHAN

The Wales manager had a categoric answer ready for English journalists

Wales boss Chris Coleman says he would never even contemplate the prospect of managing England.

Stupid f*cking question really!

Coleman's stock has soared over the past few weeks as he's masterminded Wales' remarkable journey to the semi-finals of Euro 2016.

And, with a large English press pack arriving at Wales' team base this week ahead of Wednesday's historic match against Portugal, it was cheekily suggested he could be a possible contender to replace Roy Hodgson as the Three Lions lick their wounds following their Euro exit at the hands of Iceland.

But Coleman, who signed a new two-year deal to lead Wales through their World Cup qualifying just before the tournament, was categoric in his response.

“It's not something that would ever, ever enter my thinking. I could never rule that in," he said.

"I'm a Welshman through and through and I've only ever wanted to manage Wales internationally. It would only ever be Wales.

“I've always said my next job after Wales, whenever that is, will probably be abroad because I want to manage in the Champions League and I think that would be my best chance.

Wales' success is only plunging England into further introspection as they enviously see the incredible achievements being made by a team they thought they would beat to top spot in Group B.

And it has not escaped notice that Wales have already matched their best-ever run in the European Championships, winning as many knockout games in one tournament as the Three Lions have mustered since making it to the last four of Euro '96, 20 years ago.

England's one win in France was the last-gasp win over Wales in Lens, but now experts are saying the English FA should learn lessons from Wales.

Yet Coleman insisted he isn't interested in sharing the secrets, adding: “I've no idea what's being said but all I know is that the bigger countries have got to get into quarter finals, semi-finals, final. We didn’t. We had to come and perform for us, for inside our camp. I thought we had a good chance of getting to the quarter final but I never came out and said to the players: ‘that is what we can do.’ “We just take it game by game and that’s all we’ve ever done. It’s boring. Anyone who listens to me talk, I say the same thing.”
Chuckles is a newbie fan who jumped on the glory bandwagon
Daya

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:50 am

SwampCCFC wrote:err, its called having a different opinion, is that allowed?

he will not manage wales forever, so we will see. his career was heading for the toilet before the FAW gave him a job. at times, the way bale was playing, there were games which a 5 year old could have managed us to the same result.

to be honest i take little notice of current players opinions on their manager. for the very simple reason that its not in players interests to be brutally honest until the manager is out of the door. why not talk to his chairman at sociedad who was shocked to find him turning up late for work because of night clubbing? there are two sides to every story.

i can't argue that luck is on his side - having the second best player in the world at the moment, and an expanded euros - under the old system we would have been in the play offs - not once have i seen him acknowledge this. whether or not he's a good manager, i think he is incredibly arrogant in relation to what he has achieved in the game, which has clearly influenced my opinion of him. god knows what he'll be like after this tournament.

A difference of opinion is allowed as is stating yours is wrong.

Coleman has now achieved at least a semi-final spot at a major European competition and might yet go further. That record cannot be expunged and certainly not described as arrogance. Generally in football arrogance is someone thinking he can achieve something without actually doing it. As stated Coleman has achieved the best ever performance by a Welsh team in any competition.

I agree both Coleman and the people of Wales are hugely fortunate to have Gareth Bale, but as the cliché goes 'one man doesn't make a team'. Against Belgium the 3 goals scored had no Bale involvement as the first was Ramsey to Williams, then Ramsey to HRK and finally Gunter to Volkes. If anything sums Coleman's achievements with Wales up it is the way he has made dead average players like Gunter, HRK and Volkes seem like world beaters at these championships when compared to their non-distinct club form.

As for his comments about managing England then good on him. I salute him for his honesty which sadly has drawn comments of being stupid in this thread.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby rontom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:58 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:
rontom wrote:

Gareth Bale was asked last week:- "What has happened within this Welsh side in the last few years to become what we are seeing today"

His answer:- "In all honesty.. Chris Coleman".

It's convenient how many choose to ignore Gary Speeds club management career which is probably one of the worst in Welsh International management history. Didnt he take Sheff Utd to rock bottom of the league before Wales bizarrely stepping in? Colemans club and international record is Mount Everest compared to Speeds Pen Y Fan - but it's not fashionable to highlight that of course.

No manager will again come close to what he has achieved with Wales in all our lifetimes. Of that I am sure.

My take on it has always been that John Toshack started all this when he took over what was left of a very old team from Mark Hughes, he then employed a experienced manager in Brian Flynn, whose task was to find promising youngster and foster some discipline and their pride in Wales, instead of the Stag party attitude ( Robbie Savage words not mine) that existed in the welsh camp at that time, ( In the russian game the squad contained 16 players who were introduced to international football by these two, 9 of them played in the match and 3 scored goals).that in itself speaks volumes of the work they done

They then both resigned stating that this is as far as we can take them, and then Gary Speed was given the task to carry the work forward, until his untimely death, then in stepped Coleman myself and a lot of other people on this board were very disappointed with this appointment, and were being proved right with the first lot of games he was manager of being losses
Coleman then stated he had tried Gary Speed way but it was not working, so he would now do it his way, and through that decision we are in the semi final of the european championship, and proving he is the best manager that Wales has ever had
rontom

Postby KBK-13 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:14 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:

Great post. I wasn't too pleased when he was announced as manager, but how wrong have I been. Well done Coleman, continue to prove me wrong please :lol:
KBK-13

Postby KBK-13 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:14 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:

Great post. I wasn't too pleased when he was announced as manager, but how wrong have I been. Well done Coleman, continue to prove me wrong please :lol:
KBK-13

Postby SwampCCFC » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 pm

'He had a very good club management career regardless of the myth many people against him with to try and peddle - and is Wales most successful international manager of all time... By some distance.'

under coleman we finished 2nd in our group, it is a disservice to sparky (a vastly more capable manager) who also got us to second and would have qualified under the new system. coleman got a massive stroke of luck when the euros were expanded. where has he acknowledged this? all he's doing is lapping it up and enjoying his 15 minutes.
SwampCCFC

Postby KBK-13 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:10 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:'He had a very good club management career regardless of the myth many people against him with to try and peddle - and is Wales most successful international manager of all time... By some distance.'

under coleman we finished 2nd in our group, it is a disservice to sparky (a vastly more capable manager) who also got us to second and would have qualified under the new system. coleman got a massive stroke of luck when the euros were expanded. where has he acknowledged this? all he's doing is lapping it up and enjoying his 15 minutes.

Why would he come out and say we are lucky to be here, if it wasn't for the changes to the tournament we would be on holiday?

I haven't noticed any other managers who have finished 2nd come out and say it either.
KBK-13

Postby SwampCCFC » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:18 pm

KBK-13 wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:'He had a very good club management career regardless of the myth many people against him with to try and peddle - and is Wales most successful international manager of all time... By some distance.'

Why would he come out and say we are lucky to be here, if it wasn't for the changes to the tournament we would be on holiday?

I haven't noticed any other managers who have finished 2nd come out and say it either.

well if i was manager and people kept telling me i was the best thing since sliced bread i'd say hang on, thats a disservice to sparky, who achieved the same.

given the circumstances, i'd like to see a bit more humility. i am clearly in a minority of one on this thread and thats not a problem. probably best to accept our differences and enjoy the match tommorow :ayatollah:
SwampCCFC

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 am

SwampCCFC wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:

well if i was manager and people kept telling me i was the best thing since sliced bread i'd say hang on, thats a disservice to sparky, who achieved the same.

given the circumstances, i'd like to see a bit more humility. i am clearly in a minority of one on this thread and thats not a problem. probably best to accept our differences and enjoy the match tommorow :ayatollah:

A dis-service to Sparky? Yes we finished 2nd in the group but should have won it having blown a brilliant start. Also we blew the play-offs after getting a good result in Russia only to lose at home with Ernie playing on the right wing when we desperately needed to score. Coleman on the other hand finished second having taken 4 points off Belgium the group winners and whose to say he wouldn't have won a play-off if the old qualification rules still applied?

When you take that into consideration I'm really baffled by your insistence that Coleman needs to be humble to a manager who left the role 12 years ago having failed to qualify? :?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby EalingBluebird » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:

So has anybody actually seen this "im the best thing since sliced bread" comments then? Or is it just in your head?

Just like the imaginary fantasy land where Mark Hughes achieved the same as Coleman is just in your head too?

Pass the crackpipe. :laughing6:
EalingBluebird

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:16 am

EalingBluebird wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:

So has anybody actually seen this "im the best thing since sliced bread" comments then? Or is it just in your head?

Just like the imaginary fantasy land where Mark Hughes achieved the same as Coleman is just in your head too?

Pass the crackpipe. :laughing6:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby KBK-13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:52 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:
KBK-13 wrote:

Can't wait to see Portugals manager come out and say Portugal don't deserve the trophy because they finished 3rd in the group and under the old rules would have been out in the group stage
KBK-13

Postby SwampCCFC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

sadly i saw this coming - time to get a new man in methinks.
SwampCCFC

Return to General Chat