Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? "

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:29 pm

" SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ? "

Cardiff City Fans I keep reading in here how everything now is running all smoothly, everyone is happy and we are now moving forward etc etc

My question is if everything is ok???

Why are our crowds,every season getting lower and now the lowest for years and season ticket sales the lowest for 10 plus years, yet the costs are the lowest for years and next season the oppositions are some of the best?

Even our away Support is at its lowest of all time, 18th out of 22 clubs last season, yet many other Championship clubs away support as increased or stayed the same.

And Cardiff City are shocked by how low the season ticket sales are at £49 :thumbright: :thumbright: for an under 16 etc etc

Plus Under 21's and Students £99 :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sadly everything I have stated above are all facts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? "

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Football is competing with more entertainment at home.

People need to see success and won't follow anything other.
The buzz is not as exciting as it used to be.

The atmosphere is shocking. You turn up make a noise not much comes back
At least years ago, if you had a bad result you had a decent day with a good atmosphere, especially if you were with the right people.

A lot of the lads pick and chose games more than they used to these days. And when you stop going as much it is easy to get out of the habit and then takes a lot to get you back.

Stadium needs an atmosphere
Last edited by shinyBlueGlue on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:40 pm

i think people are fed up listening to the shit the club puts out all the time, constantly say they arelooking to get promotion when their actions say otherwise, they also dont want to spend money which may attract ppl back through the gates, but they are constantly saying we dont have the money, thing is we've a multi millionaire owner hes got the money he just doesnt want to spend it. until tan goes this will be the norm although the time is dragging under his ownership and im afraid some wounds will never close and theres a generation of lost city fans because of it

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Running more smoothly than lately! as for season tickets well we all have opinions about that and guess it's combination of things, personally we are at a normal level after years of spoilt success, away travel is mostly cost minimum £60 for one person is to much in this financial climate. You won't agree with this but that's life. :old:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:44 pm

To much bullshit from the club over the last years and hurtfulness

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:50 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:To much bullshit from the club over the last years and hurtfulness

Sadly I think your right-which ever Mod you are :lol:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Its very expensive going to away games. I'm going with my 11 year old son to Birmingham tomorrow on the Supporters Club coach. Including tickets, coach travel and food this is going to be around £100. I couldn't afford that on a regular basis.

Those who are better off shouldn't judge others who may struggle to afford the cost of away games

Season tickets are not unduly expensive though.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ? "

Cardiff City Fans I keep reading in here how everything now is running all smoothly, everyone is happy and we are now moving forward etc etc

Why are our crowds,every season getting lower and now the lowest for years and season ticket sales the lowest for 10 plus years, yet the costs are the lowest for years and next season the oppositions are some of the best?

Even our away Support is at its lowest of all time, 18th out of 22 clubs last season, yet many other Championship clubs away support as increased or stayed the same.

And Cardiff City are shocked by how low the season ticket sales are at £49 :thumbright: :thumbright: for an under 16 etc etc

The answer to your question is that some supporters do own a pair of rose tinted spectacles and woe betide anyone who disagrees with their "everything in the garden is rosey" philosophy,we must all be positive before the season starts but not be blinded to the club's shortcomings

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:26 pm

our away support problem isnt helped with this stupid membership idea.
im going tomoz and wanted to take 2 adult friends and 2 kids. its ridiculous you have to pay for membership on top just for them to go. why cant they just go under my name and ill take responsibility if anything happens.
to randomly just watch cardiff away now is almost impossible.
i managed to get fan numbers for all people, went to ticket office and now they want everyones date of birth aswell. and typically i couldnt get hold of every person going so now have to get more tickets tomorrow.

i remember the days of going out on a friday night and arranging with people in the pub to go watch cardiff away rhe following day. these days are now gone. why cant the club get something so simple right ? just making things to awkward and fans dont need the hassle hence why we dont get the numbers we used to

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:26 pm

I went to purchase two season tickets on finance and was declined. I had just been accepted for a mortgage two months earlier and have my own business employing over 70 staff.
Apparently due to bad credit 5 and half years ago I was told no and I would have to pay cash.
I thought stick it and I would pick and choose my matches.
How many more had issues like mine.
Other than one season I had been a season ticket holder for the past 7 years.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:29 pm

cantonbluebird1959 wrote:I went to purchase two season tickets on finance and was declined. I had just been accepted for a mortgage two months earlier and have my own business employing over 70 staff.
Apparently due to bad credit 5 and half years ago I was told no and I would have to pay cash.
I thought stick it and I would pick and choose my matches.
How many more had issues like mine.
Other than one season I had been a season ticket holder for the past 7 years.

why are you wanting to pay on finance when you're business is that big? Give yourself a pay rise. You deserve it :)

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Apart from a handful of the eternal optimists on this forum, the general public can see exactly how this season is likely to go for us. Because of the past waste that has gone on, the club now has to operate on a shoestring budget, and a large percentage of supporters can see that we are not going to be in the promotion battle anytime soon.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Running more smoothly than lately! as for season tickets well we all have opinions about that and guess it's combination of things, personally we are at a normal level after years of spoilt success, away travel is mostly cost minimum £60 for one person is to much in this financial climate. You won't agree with this but that's life. :old:

One can consider they are so useless at making signings, 'success' is now measured in how little they do in the Transfer Market. Is that a fair assessment on what now constitutes good business practice at CCFC Allan??

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Business might be big but doesn't mean I'm rich :D
The point was I could have paid cash but the deal on finance was good and spread the costs. If I have been turned down how many others have :digging2:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Here's an alternate thought/question:

Have many so-called 'fans' have talked themselves out of attending matches due to over-involvement in club politics in recent years??

Many will immediately point to "the red issue" and the non-atmosphere created by Wayne Nash and his cronies but that apart I don't see the on-field 'product' as being any worse than it was before we climbed into and out of the Premier League

So, had we just become accustomed to the generally upward spiral started by Sam and cannot accept that there is now an 'adjustment' period whilst the club takes a breather and catches up with itself in financial terms??

I think the question is a valid one and I'm not sure what happened to fans 'staying strong' for their club and supporting it through tough times (even if that is perceived to be having Vincent Tan in charge)

It used to happen but it doesn't appear to happen so much currently :(

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Tan has destroyed our club.
Modern stadiums spoil it for me
No terracing
Amazing time watching Cardiff in 80s, 90s

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:57 pm

simple mate people just can't afford it anymore.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Last successful season in the top flight 1953/4. Last major trophy 1927.club need to break this perpetual cycle of failure.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:13 pm

I will be returning with my son for the QPR game
first time for 12 months will see if the spark gets
Reignited lol

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:26 pm

skiprat wrote:Last successful season in the top flight 1953/4. Last major trophy 1927.club need to break this perpetual cycle of failure.

Yes, we all remember it so well, don't we? ;)

Quick question: how many of those 'perpetual' years did you attend matches for?

That's not being funny. Just that so many of us saw City through the truly bad times and are still there (myself since 1968) despite some lacklustre seasons, owners and managers

For me, the atmosphere has changed for the worse massively in the new stadium and particularly under the misplaced stewardship of 'Stadium Manager' Wayne Nash, but I still get a buzz from going to watch my team both at home (and away when I can) seeing us put the ball in the net and beat other teams; particularly in the night games

Can't see it changing anytime soon. It's in my blood and I've seen owners a lot worse than the one we got that should have driven us away well before now! ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Football season starts tonight, and here we are trying to find reasons to complain about crowd numbers, the club, and more.

Bloody hell.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Sven wrote:
skiprat wrote:Last successful season in the top flight 1953/4. Last major trophy 1927.club need to break this perpetual cycle of failure.

Yes, we all remember it so well, don't we? ;)

Quick question: how many of those 'perpetual' years did you attend matches for?

That's not being funny. Just that so many of us saw City through the truly bad times and are still there (myself since 1968) despite some lacklustre seasons, owners and managers

For me, the atmosphere has changed for the worse massively in the new stadium and particularly under the misplaced stewardship of 'Stadium Manager' Wayne Nash, but I still get a buzz from going to watch my team both at home (and away when I can) seeing us put the ball in the net and beat other teams; particularly in the night games

Can't see it changing anytime soon. It's in my blood and I've seen owners a lot worse than the one we got that should have driven us away well before now! ;) :ayatollah:

THIS^^^^^^^

and

££££££££
This^^^^^

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Quite simple- an extreme lack of ambition by the club.

Yes, the debt has to be reduced but it's gone from one extreme to another and now the club are trying to survive on a shoestring with no investment in the squad. Building a squad full of freebies many of whom are untested at this level. We have been playing boring football particularly when we do not have a proven goal scorer so there is nothing to excite the public and get them into the stadium. Don't expect the club to throw money about about a decent striker for 1-2m would go some way to get some more fans in. Yes, we need to offload a few but by now a lot of the decent players out there with pace & goals in them have been signed up.

Reduce the debt but at the same time re invest some of the parachute payments to get the fans in before it's too late. Unless we get of to a flyer the crowds will continue to decrease. There has been no money spent for nearly 2 years and many fans do not want to throw their money away watching boring football with no one to excite them on the pitch.

It's a fine balancing act between clearing debt and investing in the squad but at the moment it appears as though the only thing on the clubs agenda is clearing debt and surviving on a shoestring.
Last edited by bridgendbluebird30 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:38 pm

I agree with the cost element for away games, i for one couldnt afford away games, £100 plus with a belly full of beer :ayatollah: :notworthy:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:39 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Quite simple- an extreme lack of ambition by the club.

Yes, the debt has to be reduced but it's gone from one extreme to another and now the club are trying to survive on a shoestring with no investment in the squad. Building a squad full of freebies many of whom are untested at this level. We have been playing boring football particularly when we do not have a proven goal scorer so there is nothing to excite the public and get them into the stadium. Don't expect the club to throw money about about a decent striker for 1-2m would go some way to get some more fans in. Yes, we need to offload a few but by now a lot of the decent players out there with pace & goals in them have been signed up.

Reduce the debt but at the same time re invest some of the parachute payments to get the fans in before it's too late. Unless we get of to a flyer the crowds will continue to decrease. There has been no money spent for nearly 2 years and many fans do not want to throw their money away watching boring football with no one to excite them on the pitch.

Ohhhhh and THIS^^^^^^^^^^^ :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Good question to debate here Annis and firstly I would argue that everything is far from running smoothly at the club. With just less than 24 hours before the season kicks off we ALL know that the club still needs to off load players, Macheda, Le Fondre and Dikagchoi to mention a few, just to get the books closer to balancing. Even yesterday Ken Choo is on record as saying it's unlikely we will see any more signings before players are moved on and it may be the week before the window closes before any real activity takes place. With no "Emergency" loan windows this season whatever squad we have in place at the start of September will have to see us through the season. Despite this Ken Choo says that promotion remains the target, REALLY, I believe for most fans until the deadbeat players are offloaded and we have a settled squad this is another season of consolidation, AT BEST.

In respect of attendances you can understand the club being worried, in particular with Home attendances, and there are probably any number of reasons behind the drop off in numbers, but, last season, on average, we were only 400 and 700 behind Burnley and Hull and they both got promoted. On that basis is the 15463 average Home crowd that bad? In my opinion these days it's the PL or nothing for lot's of clubs supporters and if we were about the start the new season in the PL we would be looking at a 30,000 average.

As regards away support the average attendance at our away matches in the last 6 seasons has hardly been inspiring and in fact on 2 occasions, in seasons 14/15 & 11/12, we were actually the lowest watched club in the division over the 23 away league matches. In season 11/12 we actually reached the playoffs but were still finished bottom of the league table for average away attendances. Our highest place was in fact last season when we finished 17th.

I know it's just statistics and you can read them in any number of ways but how many fans would believe that, on average, more people watched our away games last season than when we won the League.

In my opinion many things are better with our club since we sacked OGS and on the eve of the new season "Hope Springs Eternal" in my heart that we will have a good season. I really hope that Paul Trollope makes of good fist of his new job and we start rebuilding after 3 seasons of decline.

Only then in my opinion will we see attendances improve.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Castleblue

A Great post to balance all the others on this thread

People like doers and achievers and join when all going in the same forward direction (just ask Wales)

Good luck Paul

Come on City, Come on :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:56 pm

KWest wrote:Football season starts tonight, and here we are trying to find reasons to complain about crowd numbers, the club, and more.

Bloody hell.

It will go on all season like last season! No clear answer to why maybe it's just ave £400 for adults is the reason, students are a miniscule amount of fans and kids can't go without adults so their numbers are low as well all adds up. :old:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:07 pm

1) Terrible stadium atmosphere
2) No real ambition by the club
3) To many lies by the club
4) Tan
5) Some Sell your soul fans
6) Tan
7) Half empty stadium which is way to big for the size of club that we are, which is small/medium

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:15 pm

It's no good just lowering the prices a little. The key to selling any product is advertising/marketing. Are we advertising them on the radio? Have we put posters around town/on the side of buses? Are we using social media and the internet generally? Are we getting the messages to the schools about the rock bottom prices for season tickets for kids?