Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WE BLEW AN OPPORTUNITY TODAY '

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:35 pm

' WE BLEW AN OPPORTUNITY TODAY '

From the kick off right through to half time there was only one team today that looked likely to score and it certainly was not QPR.

Ok, Cardiff City didn't have a shot on target in that first half but we were more than comfortable in defence and the midfield three of Whittingham, Ralls and Immers were linking the play with wing backs Richards and John, the build up play was positive and on many occasions was done so with pace and energy.

QPR offered absolutely zilch from an attacking point of view in the first forty five and the biggest contribution they brought to the game was some heavy challenges which brought about two early yellow cards.

My fear at half time was that after watching QPR live on Sky last week, they looked a strong outfit in the second half against Leeds and our lack of creativity in the final third was something I thought could haunt us, which it duly did.

Ten minutes before QPR scored from the free kick today, I was saying to friends sat around me that I believed our best option was to push Immers further forward, just behind Pilkington, take off Gounongbe and bring on Huws.

I believed that Immers was the one player offering any chance of creating an opportunity but most, if not all, his good work was wasted in many respects as it was taking place too deep in our system. Immers was man of the match today for me as well.

When I saw Huws strip off, I thought this is exactly what Trollope is going to do but then Zohore got ready to come on as well and I just knew what Trollope was doing and in my opinion he made a massive mistake today.

Fans are repeatedly, and rightly so, praying for pacy striker to come in but again in my opinion, that is not our only problem, we need to create more chances for the strikers and that needs addressing before anything else.

We could have Ronaldo and Bale up front but if you are not going to give them service and quality balls to feed off then maybe they may not stand out as much as you'd expect.

I am not making a case for Gounongbe but more a case for the fact we have creative players but they are creative twenty yards further back than they should be.

I honestly believe that Cardiff City could and should have got something out of that game today but the double substitution put pay to that.

Trollope dropped a clanger today in my humble opinion.

City do need something different up front and I am praying that the manager is able to bring in a striker with pace, I said last week it is 'work in progress' and he certainly needs time to carry out that work but at the same time fans will want to see a change or two to the starting line up based on no goals scored in three games.

I was asked a question last week, ' What are your hopes for the season ?'

My answer was that my hopes are that we are in the top six, my expectation is mid table but there is a nagging doubt in my head that we could be in a relegation battle at some stage during the season.

From what I have witnessed in the three games so far nothing has changed my view but unless things improve in the goal scoring stakes then it could be a long arduous season ahead.

Re: ' WE BLEW AN OPPORTUNITY TODAY '

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

'One team today that looked likely to score'?!!!!
Jeez, we never, ever looked likely to score.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:40 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:'One team today that looked likely to score'?!!!!

Tell me what passages of play QPR had in the first half?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

City were in control of the first half and the build up play in the first two thirds was very good but around the box we lacked an edge.

But we were the better team by half time and that is a fact.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Maybe I saw the game that Paul Trollope saw as well.

Trollope : “We were pleased with a lot of the things we saw in the first half, we were in the ascendancy and managed to take quite good control of it, though we didn't really fire going into the box and didn't create the chances our play probably deserved.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:46 pm

carlccfc wrote:

City were in control of the first half and the build up play in the first two thirds was very good but around the box we lacked an edge.

I disagree. We were the home team, QPR didn't need to go at us early on so sat in and waited for our weakness to show, which it inevitably did in the second half. I don't know why you think we were the better team 1st half quite so emphatically. If that's us being the "better side" then we are already relegated.

The players heads dropped once they realised they had absolutely no options going forward. That was around 50th minute mark.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Not arguing with any of that - but we never looked likely to score.
You can talk about neat passing at times, us edging QPR in the first half etc. but we never looked like scoring.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:51 pm

'From the kick off right through to half time there was only one team today that looked likely to score'

Urr .. We didn't and nor did QPR.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:53 pm

We never look like scoring today we was very poor so was qpr look like going be 0-0 formation need to go we ain't got the right players for it.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:'From the kick off right through to half time there was only one team today that looked likely to score'

So who was the team do the attacking and trying to open the play up?

It was Cardiff City.

QPR did not pose any threat in the first half whatsoever so if any team were likely to be the first to score then it would be Cardiff City in my opinion.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:58 pm

BrightBlueFuture wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

I disagree. We were the home team, QPR didn't need to go at us early on so sat in and waited for our weakness to show, which it inevitably did in the second half. I don't know why you think we were the better team 1st half quite so emphatically. If that's us being the "better side" then we are already relegated.

The players heads dropped once they realised they had absolutely no options going forward. That was around 50th minute mark.

I think the fact that City were applauded off the pitch at half time was a atark contrast to what happened at full time, that to me proves that City were the better team in the opening forty five.

I agree that the second half belonged to QPR absolutely.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:08 pm

first half we were in control but bugger all in the final 1/3 second half run out of ideas and let be honest the score line flatters qpr coz they were just as bad as us

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Having more of the ball doesn't mean that team was the better side. We created absolutely nothing. We could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm

wez1927 wrote:first half we were in control but bugger all in the final 1/3 second half run out of ideas and let be honest the score line flatters qpr coz they were just as bad as us

Wez, I have stated like you that the final third was our problem and we did control the first half with some promising moves and that's my point too that QPR did not look anything like a team in the first half who would score let alone win 2-0.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:10 pm

EalingBluebird wrote:Having more of the ball doesn't mean that team was the better side. We created absolutely nothing. We could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

:laughing6: I said the same thing when 5 minutes of injury time was announced.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:12 pm

carlccfc wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:'From the kick off right through to half time there was only one team today that looked likely to score'

So who was the team do the attacking and trying to open the play up?

It was Cardiff City.

QPR did not pose any threat in the first half whatsoever so if any team were likely to be the first to score then it would be Cardiff City in my opinion.

I'll have one more attempt to try to get through to you Carl.
I'm not disagreeing with your assessment at all.
The simple fact is we never looked liked scoring in that game. First half, second half or anytime at all.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:18 pm

We don't score when we are in top.

We should have been up in all our games so far but we have nothing in final 3rd.
Fred played well but I'm not sure that Fred and pilks are our Kanu and bale.

Trollope not had long enough after France maybe???

Our full backs cut in far too much and need to go outside and whip balls in.

I can see promise but deffo short of players

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 pm

This was a game that had 0-0 written all over it as both defensive units had a stranglehold on what were largely ineffective attacking units of both teams. As ever in games like this a set piece can turn the game on it's head and as the first goal came within a minute of the strange double substitution the match was effectively over. I thought the penalty was harsh as Manga got the ball first but the game was over anyway and it didn't alter the result.

I agree we were the better of two average teams in the first half but we were struggling throughout the 2nd half and overall the better team won.

We ALL know where we are as a club and someone should explain it to Ken Choo as his "New Beginnings" nonsense in the programme is pure comedy. After yet another summer of cutbacks we are, in my opinion, weaker than at anytime in the last 10 years and right now our expectation for this season should be no more than get above 50 points.

Fail to beat Blackburn on Wednesday and even that maybe nothing more than a pipe dream.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:21 pm

It is fairly irrelevant who had the most possession and who looked the most likely to score. The only thing that counts is the final score, and nearly every game that is lost ends up in a discusssion about "what if".

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Good post Carl but can't agree with what you said in the first half only Cardiff looked like they was going to score. In my humble opinion no one looked like scoring. Now in the last few days I have watched City play 210 minutes and at no point in those 210 minutes did I feel we were ever going to score.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:05 pm

I went Bristol and been today, didn't like scoring in either.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:10 pm

carlccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:first half we were in control but bugger all in the final 1/3 second half run out of ideas and let be honest the score line flatters qpr coz they were just as bad as us

Wez, I have stated like you that the final third was our problem and we did control the first half with some promising moves and that's my point too that QPR did not look anything like a team in the first half who would score let alone win 2-0.

it's frustrating that us the fans can see we need more end product and the club can't we should take a gamble and pay for a decent striker and a midfield play maker both with pace

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I think the club can see we need a striker and pace in mid, but they won't spend any real money on a fee or wages

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Le Fondre was dishing out pizzas !!! 25 grand a week , we haven't got a striker and Le Fondre is dishing out Pizzas! :old: :bluebird:

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Brianclark5 wrote:Le Fondre was dishing out pizzas !!! 25 grand a week , we haven't got a striker and Le Fondre is dishing out Pizzas! :old: :bluebird:

Perhaps he should team up with Chef Evans. :lol:

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:03 pm

lyndipops wrote:
Brianclark5 wrote:Le Fondre was dishing out pizzas !!! 25 grand a week , we haven't got a striker and Le Fondre is dishing out Pizzas! :old: :bluebird:

Perhaps he should team up with Chef Evans. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175987

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:36 pm

After watching today, we also have a lack of pace in the team and lack of quality in midfield. First half we crossed in some great balls but no one on the end of them. We seemed to lack numbers in the area

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:08 pm

MalagaCF wrote:After watching today, we also have a lack of pace in the team and lack of quality in midfield. First half we crossed in some great balls but no one on the end of them. We seemed to lack numbers in the area

Yes you are right half the time only 1 man in box , and against brum only had 3 in box for corners we scared get nose bleed if go in box?

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 am

100% agree with that summary of the match. I actually said just before half time that I wasn't impressed with QPR, but they definitely stepped up a couple of gears in the last half an hour or so.

I agree that we were the only team who were likely to score in the first half, purely because we were really the only team passing the ball around well.

But when we got to the final third we had nothing, and didn't even look like having anything. Whereas when QPR decided it was time for them to attack, they caused us problems. Just like Bristol Rovers on Thursday night.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:100% agree with that summary of the match. I actually said just before half time that I wasn't impressed with QPR, but they definitely stepped up a couple of gears in the last half an hour or so.

I agree that we were the only team who were likely to score in the first half, purely because we were really the only team passing the ball around well.

But when we got to the final third we had nothing, and didn't even look like having anything. Whereas when QPR decided it was time for them to attack, they caused us problems. Just like Bristol Rovers on Thursday night.

We passed the ball around yes. But come on be honest did you honestly think we was going to score ? Sorry but from what I saw we never once looked like scoring.