Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED " DECLAN JOHN TONIGHT "

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:27 am

UPDATED

Declan John brilliant run and did all the work and bang own goal, City 1-0 up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

" DECLAN JOHN TONIGHT "

Tonight v Blackburn Rovers

Cardiff City's– Declan John

The wing-back made a big impression at St Andrews on the opening day but a resolute QPR side didn't give him anywhere near the same amount of space and Cardiff's attacking play was a lot more laboured as a result. Should have had an assist against Birmingham as Frederic Gounongbe skied his cross and more service of that quality is needed if Cardiff are to break their duck this season.
John can make the runs and with support can shine tonight, his confidence will grow the more games he gets and hopefully he can not only help Cardiff this season, but also break back in to the Welsh squad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " DECLAN JOHN TONIGHT "

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:20 am

he was awful against QPR but i suppose he wasnt the only one.

a shame malone isnt still here

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:32 am

You mean , a pity Fabio isn't still here!

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 am

bluemun wrote:You mean , a pity Fabio isn't still here!

i'd take fabio over john but then id probably have done a better job myself so its not saying much

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

He wasn't awful on Saturday at all, for me, and I've been very outspoken about his lack of quality in previous years.

He got forward plenty of times in that first half, and was our only real threat. Problem was that Ralls has been completely neutered by Slade, and just kept looking for sideways or backwards passes, which slowed John down. Everything we were doing was coming down that flank.

Second half, QPR adjusted and John had very little space anymore, hence why we started trying to do so much down our right side. It was good in-game tactics from Jimmy Floyd.

John wasn't the problem on Saturday.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 am

In my opinion we were up against a top 6 side in QPR, and in the main we held our own during a transition where the squad are leaning the new system still, and after half time JFH changed his tactics and was spot on in doing so as he stifled what attacking options we had had and got the result.

If you look at what JFH has achieved so far, a couple of seasons with great results in the lower leagues and again only my opinion but a manager who is going to rise quickly to the top that has joined a yo yo team gives QPR everything they need in this league to be a serious contender for promotion, (maybe even top 2) with a big squad, and I think are OK money wise ?

Tonight will be interesting because if we start like we played against Brum or even Brizzle then I can see them folding and City winning at least 2-0.

However for me tonight will be the manner in which we play, this will be more important than the result, if we are of an attacking nature but draw or lose I won't mind as that will confirm that we either still need a better striker or its just a matter of time that it all clicks together (possibly both)

But if we win by a fluke and we play badly then even though a win is a win I will start getting concerned.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 am

paulh_85 wrote:he was awful against QPR but i suppose he wasnt the only one.

a shame malone isnt still here

I'm still loving the humour on here

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 am

Not quick enough, can't go past the fullback, fits in with the rest of the squad no pace.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:35 am

I know.... try taking people on like you used to. Stop turning and passing back to Whitts and Connolly. If you lose the ball don't worry bout it, just have the confidence to run FORWARDS FFS

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:06 pm

I don't think we are up against a top 6 QPR team at all, they were just as bad but put the ball in the net.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:55 pm

RYANBLUE wrote:I know.... try taking people on like you used to. Stop turning and passing back to Whitts and Connolly. If you lose the ball don't worry bout it, just have the confidence to run FORWARDS FFS

And yet our fans in the stadium will heckle him like there's no tomorrow if he were to keep losing the ball from making runs forward ;)

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Declan John brilliant run and did all the work and bang own goal, City 1-0 up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: UPDATED " DECLAN JOHN TONIGHT "

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:54 am

honestly dont think hes good enough never ever beats is man always passes either backwards or sideways

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 am

the goal was all down to whitts. john was better last night than on sunday, but still not great.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 am

Good run for the first goal and then never tried to take anyone on after it. never seemed to be looking for the ball and looked a little short of confidence. Maybe a run of games in the side and a goal would build him up, I hope so because its good to see local boys in the team. :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 am

It is concerning that he always stops and turns back and inside when he comes up against another player. I lost track of how often he did this. We need him knocking it past and taking defenders on. Even pelts was having a go last night.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 am

welshrarebit wrote:It is concerning that he always stops and turns back and inside when he comes up against another player. I lost track of how often he did this. We need him knocking it past and taking defenders on. Even pelts was having a go last night.

Agreed, this is his weakness at the moment.

It's frustrating because when he does go outside he has caused problems but it's way too infrequent.

The whole point about a 5 man midfield is to create the overlap for the wing back to get behind them. We did that for the first goal with John but over the whole game Peltier did more often than him. If he could add it to his game then things will be looking up for him and the shape.

I hope he does it but, if not, we may need to find someone who can.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:32 am

vs QPR he was isolated a lot, with no one near him and hes looking at 2 QPR players so what do you expect? What I want to see with him is support so they can play 1-2's to by pass ppl and have John running on to the ball at pace which will make it easier to get past ppl.

All well saying he was poor, but when hes got the ball on the halfway line with no one within 50 yards of him and 2-3 of the opposition in his way whats he going to do?

I think hes needs a couple more good performances as he can be hesitant at times, we will see better from him. Hes doing ok I think

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:02 pm

It was The pass by Whitts that made his chance, he never beat his man, then again he never does

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:05 pm

paulh_85 wrote:the goal was all down to whitts. john was better last night than on sunday, but still not great.

THIS ^^^^ he never tries to beat his man