Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' SURELY NO WAY WILL CARDIFF CITY SELL HIM? '

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:34 am

' SURELY NO WAY WILL CARDIFF CITY SELL HIM? '

Aron Gunnarsson, Icelands Captain, International star,a leader,passionate,gives 100% for his club and country.

Cardiff City managers Paul Trollopes words last night “Gunners is a very important player for us" :thumbright: :thumbright:

The last two seasons for some reason previous manager Russell Slade, like he was with Declan John and many others never gave him a proper run and maybe thats why we failed to even get near the play-offs.

If you want quality like Gunnarsson and want to challenge for promotion you need players like Aron Gunnarsson, other wise you may as well say now goodbye to the season.

Gunnarsson is now known world wide, thanks to his superb display in the Euros, his wages of approx £18,000 a week, for me is fair if you want a player like him.

City have been touting him around and its believed will take £2mill -£2.5mill, if they sell him for that,to me thats madness.

A player like him after the Euros,first you should be keeping and second is worth at least £5mill.
And even if we did sell, I don't believe the money will be used for strengthening, anyway they've got Fabios £2mill to use for that.

Even last night, Gunnarsson started for the first time this season,with many saying he was by far man of the match :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

City show ambition and keep players like Aron Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright:

Opinions :thumbright: :thumbright:

Well for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' SURELY NO WAY WILL CARDIFF CITY SELL HIM '

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:40 am

Forever Blue wrote:' SURELY NO WAY WILL CARDIFF CITY SELL HIM '

Aron Gunnarsson, Icelands Captain, International star,a leader,passionate,gives 100% for his club and country.

Cardiff City managers Paul Trollopes words last night “Gunners is a very important player for us" :thumbright: :thumbright:

The last two seasons for some reason previous manager Russell Slade, like he was with Declan John and many others never gave him a proper run and maybe thats why we failed to even get near the play-offs.

If you want quality like Gunnarsson and want to challenge for promotion you need players like Aron Gunnarsson, other wise you may as well say now goodbye to the season.

Gunnarsson is now known world wide, thanks to his superb display in the Euros, his wages of approx £18,000 a week, for me is fair if you want a player like him.

City have been touting him around and its believed will take £2mill -£2.5mill, if they sell him for that,to me thats madness.

A player like him after the Euros,first you should be keeping and second is worth at least £5mill.
And even if we did sell, I don't believe the money will be used for strengthening, anyway they've got Fabios £2mill to use for that.

Even last night, Gunnarsson started for the first time this season,with many saying he was by far man of the match :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

City show ambition and keep players like Aron Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright:

Well for

You asked for opinions so here's mine....sell him

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:41 am

angelis1949 wrote:

Well for

Fair enough, but may I ask why?

Re: ' SURELY NO WAY WILL CARDIFF CITY SELL HIM? '

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:50 am

I've always liked Gunners
Hasn't been treated very well by previous managers
Always gives a full 100 per cent
A good leader of the team along with Sean Morrison another player who don't get fair treatment
With Gunners and Morrison you have two players who should automatically play every week and be the first names on the team sheet
If you play Connolly you have to play Morrison because Connolly is clueless when it comes to heading the ball

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 am

djronnieb wrote:I've always liked Gunners
Hasn't been treated very well by previous managers
Always gives a full 100 per cent
A good leader of the team along with Sean Morrison another player who don't get fair treatment
With Gunners and Morrison you have two players who should automatically play every week and be the first names on the team sheet
If you play Connolly you have to play Morrison because Connolly is clueless when it comes to heading the ball

Not been treated well at all, but never moans just gets on with it :thumbright: :thumbright:
Sean Morrison is winning me over :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:54 am

Hard one, a leader, gives 100%, but personally I would prefer O'keefe if had to make a choice. I cannot see anyone offering £2million for him, if offered then take it.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am

If he played like last night even 60% of the time I'd keep him. But one game can't be the deciding factor on this otherwise we really have lost the plot :lol: :roll:

Sadly that hasn't been the case over the last few seasons. If you remember, last season we were really struggling until O'Keefe replaced him in midfield with a bit of extra sharpness.

I'm really 50:50 on this one, particularly after last night as I thought he'd permanently lost the ability to play in that manner and he certainly proved me wrong on that score.

I still think £2m is a good price for him but only if that is invested in other positions where our need is greater. I wouldn't be too upset either way.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:01 am

hes a decent player but he doesnt have the energy levels to be a success in the midfield imo, i would rather okeefe or even huws in there with a bit more energy for 2m id sell

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 am

Forever Blue wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

Well for

Fair enough, but may I ask why?

His distribution of the ball is at times very poor,he has no pace,prone to get injured alot,can not hold down a regular place in the team,and finally regarding his leadership qualities,if he has them why is he not captain?surely in theory he would be a more affective captain than Marshall

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:21 am

No chance would I sell him, especially for £2m. Now if somebody came in with a bid of £4m+, then I might be tempted. But, if we have any ambitions of getting promoted this season, then we can't sell players like Gunnarsson.

Bloooooobirds.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:24 am

Certainly put himself in the shop window if there was anybody there watching him.

Good to see the long throws earning.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:27 am

Okeefe's injury may have kept Gunner at least til January.If he plays should be captain simple as :thumbup:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:41 am

piledriver64 wrote:If he played like last night even 60% of the time I'd keep him. But one game can't be the deciding factor on this otherwise we really have lost the plot :lol: :roll:

Sadly that hasn't been the case over the last few seasons. If you remember, last season we were really struggling until O'Keefe replaced him in midfield with a bit of extra sharpness.

I'm really 50:50 on this one, particularly after last night as I thought he'd permanently lost the ability to play in that manner and he certainly proved me wrong on that score.

I still think £2m is a good price for him but only if that is invested in other positions where our need is greater. I wouldn't be too upset either way.

He got given his chance last night and proved his quality!

One game? He was outstanding in the Euros!

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 am

lathamgaffney wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:If he played like last night even 60% of the time I'd keep him. But one game can't be the deciding factor on this otherwise we really have lost the plot :lol: :roll:

He got given his chance last night and proved his quality!

One game? He was outstanding in the Euros!

OK, 6 games then :roll: As opposed to over half a season last year where, quite simply, even his greatest fans couldn't claim he'd been "outstanding" or even at the level he showed last night.

As I said, I don't feel strongly either way but if he stays then last night showed the level he has to maintain.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:13 am

For me unless we get good money and be allowed to keep it to spend then I would say keep him he's hard worker keeps possession well and motivates other players constantly talking.
People say he was poor last year but remember it's a midfield 3 not 2 in the middle this year

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 pm

2m and I would sell, he hasn't been first choice here for a number of seasons. For me he is a box to box midfielder who isn't good enough in either box, his passing isn't great either. He does bring strength and energy to the midfield but im not sure if that's enough when we need players in other positions. It brings in a fee and as reported 2m then yes I would sell, its not as if we are short on midfielders.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:2m and I would sell, he hasn't been first choice here for a number of seasons. For me he is a box to box midfielder who isn't good enough in either box, his passing isn't great either. He does bring strength and energy to the midfield but im not sure if that's enough when we need players in other positions. It brings in a fee and as reported 2m then yes I would sell, its not as if we are short on midfielders.

Lets be honest Luke, you would sell all our players.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Gunnarsson is a leader, a winner, a battle hardened warrior and is the exact type of character we need at this football club. He's the exact type of player we require on a cold, wet, winter Tuesday evening with the mentality and guts to grind out a performance and result. Selling him would be madness.

Think back to when Newcastle walked the Championship with Joey Barton, Alan Smith, Nicky Butt and Kevin Nolan in their midfield. Those characters aren't there for Newcastle this time around. That's why they haven't started well and that's why Gunnarsson is so important to us.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:2m and I would sell, he hasn't been first choice here for a number of seasons. For me he is a box to box midfielder who isn't good enough in either box, his passing isn't great either. He does bring strength and energy to the midfield but im not sure if that's enough when we need players in other positions. It brings in a fee and as reported 2m then yes I would sell, its not as if we are short on midfielders.

I think I would annis, I think our squad is massively overrated unbalanced and on very high wages for the quality they give. We have to many players that are similar and massively short in other areas.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:39 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think I would annis, I think our squad is massively overrated unbalanced and on very high wages for the quality they give. We have to many players that are similar and massively short in other areas.

Luke, but you can't keep selling or giving away if you don't properly strengthen surely?

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Luke, but you can't keep selling or giving away if you don't properly strengthen surely?

No but our squad I way to big and I bet our wage bill is still one of the biggest in the top half of the championship.

I think if we move on enough players we will strengthen that's why it's good we are moving players on. If we can't afford these players then they need to go. Rather we were self sufficient than rely on Tan.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 pm

This is how I see it, keep him if the money isn't going to be re invested because he has some excellent qualities which we lack, but if the money can go on somebody who will score goals consistently then I would let him go.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

langley wrote:Hard one, a leader, gives 100%, but personally I would prefer O'keefe if had to make a choice. I cannot see anyone offering £2million for him, if offered then take it.

Agree I like O'Keefe

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Big heart, but poor at passing and woeful at shooting.

Personally can't see why people are saying he played well last night.

I though he was pretty average.

No shots on target, no killer pass, no assist, no decent crosses.
A midfielder needs to do more than work hard.

I'd have Ralls, Whittingham Immers, Pilkington and O'Keefe in before him and it seems most of the managers have seen the same. Decent squad player and excellent character, but if we can get £2m then we should take it and strengthen other areas where we are week like wing back and striker.

On that subject he might actually make a decent right wing back where his work rate would be useful and where he'd get a bit more time on the ball.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:52 pm

I have kept quiet on this simply because I do not know if it's a good idea or not. Understand all poster's POV.

Due to the lack of ambition, the 'sell before you buy' policy I don't trust. It's only a couple of players that will separate us from a mid-table team to a relegation threatened one. I'm not answering if Gunarsson one of them, but, I hope the club do not get too comfortable selling and not investing, we've seen the standards drop and if it carries on we could get burnt.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 pm

He was excellent last night.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 pm

He obviously has a future here and Trollope rates him. He said as much after last nights game.

After questions linking Aron Gunnarsson with a move away from Cardiff City were put to current head team coach Paul Trollope, he seems to have quashed the rumours, and stated the Icelandic international is very much in their plans.

Gunnarsson, known by many for his impressive giant throw, as seen at the European Championships 2016, had been heavily linked with moves to City and Derby County this window.

"He's a very important player for us.', Trollope said after Cardiff's 2-1 victory over Blackburn Rovers.

'Obviously Aron came back full of confidence and belief, he had a fantastic summer with Iceland. He's a big player for us, because of his late return to training he missed a lot of minutes in pre-season.'

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:56 pm

You obviously don't get rid of your best midfielder if you have any ambition for your club. But does Tan have any ambition for the club? My opinion, I think unfortunately Gunnar will go :cry:

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:32 pm

City Slicker wrote:You obviously don't get rid of your best midfielder if you have any ambition for your club. But does Tan have any ambition for the club? My opinion, I think unfortunately Gunnar will go :cry:

Our best midfielder who hasn't been able to be first choice for a number of years :?