Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Very Little Depth To Our Squad '

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

' Very Little Depth To Our Squad '

With O'keefe injured and Richards & Peltier carrying knocks the loss of Moore and Adeyemi is the very last thing we need in my opinion. We are down to the bones of our squad and without an experienced forward and nearly half the bench at Fulham will now be from the development team how on earth can anyone within the club seriously claim we are trying to be competitive.

Our squad is currently smaller in numbers than at anytime since our return to this level and, in my opinion, the shortage of numbers is already showing itself as a problem. I was thinking about the first season Dave Jones was at the club when our forwards was Alan Lee, Paul Parry, lucky lob Campbell and a young Cameron Jerome later joined by Michael Ricketts, Andrea Ferretti and Ndumbu-Nsungu.

It was worse in 2011-12 after we lost players like Chopra and Bothroyd but at least Malkay Mackay was allowed to sign players like Cowie, Conway, Miller, Taylor, Turner, Gunnarsonn, Turner, Mason, Gestede and of course Earnie.

With no emergency loan window available this season it is more important than ever that we have enough players of both experience and quality to compete over, at least, the first 23 games. Do our owners have enough commitment to ensure Paul Trollope has the tools to do his job?

Will we make 50 points this season that's the question for me?

Re: ' Very Little Depth To Our Squad '

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 pm

Spot on as usual, one of the best and most honest posters on here :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Heres our current squad
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144783

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm

If the club want to make space for Academy players, tell us. Stop the bs about play-offs being the objective.

If Tan is looking to get his money back, want to sell the club and will take a few seasons to do so, tell us. BS needs to stop at this club

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Gary
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2016/08/1 ... our-squad/ :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Let's turn this into a positive. Our wage bill must now be one of the lowest in the league and some of our debt to tan must have been lowered. This along with our parachute payments makes the club more attractive to potential investors. Also a smaller squad will give our youngsters from the academy a chance to get in the match day squad. Our academy has produced very little since Ramsey. I've heard that there are some very good players coming through in most age groups and I can't wait to see some young local talent on the pitch.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Let's turn this into a positive. Our wage bill must now be one of the lowest in the league and some of our debt to tan must have been lowered. This along with our parachute payments makes the club more attractive to potential investors. Also a smaller squad will give our youngsters from the academy a chance to get in the match day squad. Our academy has produced very little since Ramsey. I've heard that there are some very good players coming through in most age groups and I can't wait to see some young local talent on the pitch.

looks good mate
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176105 :o

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Let's turn this into a positive. Our wage bill must now be one of the lowest in the league and some of our debt to tan must have been lowered. This along with our parachute payments makes the club more attractive to potential investors. Also a smaller squad will give our youngsters from the academy a chance to get in the match day squad. Our academy has produced very little since Ramsey. I've heard that there are some very good players coming through in most age groups and I can't wait to see some young local talent on the pitch.

looks good mate
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176105 :o

:oops:
In fairness in that game they lost 9-0 the likes of Dikagoi were playing and they couldn't give a crap about the club. Just want their 100k a month.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 pm

I still reckon we have a large wage bill. Just because we don't use players don't mean we don't have to play them. Also the likes of Marshall, Whitts, Gunner which have been here a long time and had a number of new contracts must be on rather large contracts.

It's obvious we had to get numbers down, losing Moore and Adeyemi has next to no impact on the first squad. Still time for the transfer window to bring in who we need.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

There's a sense of 'New Beginnings' at Cardiff City this summer, with a number of changes having been made to the coaching staff and playing personnel that we feel have been of significant benefit to our chances on the field.

The words of Ken Choo in the matchday programme against QPR. We are now 4 games into the season and we are yet to see a Cardiff player score and yet we are still moving players out. Low wage bills are one thing, giving youngsters a chance is fine but how on earth is cutting the squad of 'Significant Benefit' to our chances on the field.

I don't know about you but I smell the aroma of bullshit in that statement by Ken Choo.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Manchester utd were down in they're luck with injuries and discovered rashford and look at him now. Not saying we have someone with his quality but give someone a chance and sometimes that is all they need. A opportunity and is willing to take it. We lack hunger at the moment, a passion to play for the shirt so there might be a young player who feels like us fans and want to grab the club by the scruff of its neck and show them how its done.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

castleblue wrote:' Very Little Depth To Our Squad '

With O'keefe injured and Richards & Peltier carrying knocks the loss of Moore and Adeyemi is the very last thing we need in my opinion. We are down to the bones of our squad and without an experienced forward and nearly half the bench at Fulham will now be from the development team how on earth can anyone within the club seriously claim we are trying to be competitive.

Our squad is currently smaller in numbers than at anytime since our return to this level and, in my opinion, the shortage of numbers is already showing itself as a problem. I was thinking about the first season Dave Jones was at the club when our forwards was Alan Lee, Paul Parry, lucky lob Campbell and a young Cameron Jerome later joined by Michael Ricketts, Andrea Ferretti and Ndumbu-Nsungu.

It was worse in 2011-12 after we lost players like Chopra and Bothroyd but at least Malkay Mackay was allowed to sign players like Cowie, Conway, Miller, Taylor, Turner, Gunnarsonn, Turner, Mason, Gestede and of course Earnie.

With no emergency loan window available this season it is more important than ever that we have enough players of both experience and quality to compete over, at least, the first 23 games. Do our owners have enough commitment to ensure Paul Trollope has the tools to do his job?

what a load of rubbish
adeymi hasnt even made the bench
so hes not going to be missed and lots on here keep calling for tommy o sullivan to be given a chance
moore wont play if marshall is fit , and wilson would do in a crisis
these deals have just gone through
lets see if theres any incoming players
our wage bill is still too big
the three who we need to get rid of , le fondre, macheda, dikgicoi , are still costing us £5.5 million a year
let trollope get on with his job
theres some real drama queens on here lately
if the clubs so shit what aresome of you concerning yourselves with it

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 pm

bevz7 wrote:Manchester utd were down in they're luck with injuries and discovered rashford and look at him now. Not saying we have someone with his quality but give someone a chance and sometimes that is all they need. A opportunity and is willing to take it. We lack hunger at the moment, a passion to play for the shirt so there might be a young player who feels like us fans and want to grab the club by the scruff of its neck and show them how its done.

Rhys Healey maybe.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 pm

castleblue wrote:' Very Little Depth To Our Squad '

great post :thumbright: for me were closer to relegation than promotion this season.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Our first 11 is mid to lower table now after many teams have poured millions into their squads and ours has only stagnated at best! We're 3 to 4 players away from a play off push and a good 6-7 players away from having a real go at the top end again. Unfortunately our Multi-Millionaire owner seems to be a bit tight with his cash of late. I for one believe a certain Ole Gunnar Solksjaer made him re-think our transfer spending strategy and I just dont believe Tan trusts the manager anymore, therefore the creation of a committee. Yes on a financial front its all well and good but as far as the fans are concerned it makes for pretty woeful viewing.

The only thing that will bring the fans back is entertaining football resulting in three points. And to get three points most weeks this squad is going to need a good few million pumped into it. Until then we can look forward to mediocre footy, muddling around the other 6-7 average teams in this league, nowhere near the top end and have just a little too much for the bottom end.

At some point Tan will need to free up some funds before its to late and we slip into League 1. Hopefully that time isnt this season.

:ayatollah:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm

cardiffred wrote:Our first 11 is mid to lower table now after many teams have poured millions into their squads and ours has only stagnated at best! We're 3 to 4 players away from a play off push and a good 6-7 players away from having a real go at the top end again. Unfortunately our Multi-Millionaire owner seems to be a bit tight with his cash of late. I for one believe a certain Ole Gunnar Solksjaer made him re-think our transfer spending strategy and I just dont believe Tan trusts the manager anymore, therefore the creation of a committee. Yes on a financial front its all well and good but as far as the fans are concerned it makes for pretty woeful viewing.

The only thing that will bring the fans back is entertaining football resulting in three points. And to get three points most weeks this squad is going to need a good few million pumped into it. Until then we can look forward to mediocre footy, muddling around the other 6-7 average teams in this league, nowhere near the top end and have just a little too much for the bottom end.

At some point Tan will need to free up some funds before its to late and we slip into League 1. Hopefully that time isnt this season.

:ayatollah:

top post I agree we are just short if we don't strengthen then it's mid table for us

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 pm

I like your thinking sir, this is what I had hoped for a long time. If we can survive this season and bleed youth it will have been a successful season in my opinion. Would love a young hungry striker given a shot.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 pm

I like your thinking sir, this is what I had hoped for a long time. If we can survive this season and bleed youth it will have been a successful season in my opinion. Would love a young hungry striker given a shot.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Spot on, we've got very little pace or quality on the pitch let alone off the bench.

But for the record Andy Campbells lob wad NOT lucky!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Tan sees no need to strengthen the squad as that would mean us having to spend money. He's just pocketing the parachute payments and asset stripping us bit by bit. We will be a bottom half Championship club for years to come unless we the fans, stand up to his dictatorship.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:39 am

Dessy1927 wrote:

Rhys Healey and he should have been given a shot last season if he ends up leaving this club without being given a chance then we will have add him to the long list of strikers that this club has failed.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:08 am

You normally find the young players are hungry and have no fear, can't remember last time we played an academy striker, was Earnie our last one? I remember my bro saying watch this kid warming up he's lightening, I can't think of any after but then my brain is the best at remembering.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:08 am

You normally find the young players are hungry and have no fear, can't remember last time we played an academy striker, was Earnie our last one? I remember my bro saying watch this kid warming up he's lightening, I can't think of any after but then my brain is the best at remembering.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:10 am

john jones82 wrote:Tan sees no need to strengthen the squad as that would mean us having to spend money. He's just pocketing the parachute payments and asset stripping us bit by bit. We will be a bottom half Championship club for years to come unless we the fans, stand up to his dictatorship.

Quit your derailing of threads Roathy the six fingered rat

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 am

john jones82 wrote:Tan sees no need to strengthen the squad as that would mean us having to spend money. He's just pocketing the parachute payments and asset stripping us bit by bit. We will be a bottom half Championship club for years to come unless we the fans, stand up to his dictatorship.

Quit your derailing of threads Roathy the six fingered rat

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 am

Dessy1927 wrote:

I second that as Ive always wanted plenty of local Welsh lads,But I can't see that for a while yet as managers like Slade were totally against them and at this moment in time, we have not got that many good enough for the Championship.
So we need to strengthen from outside beginning with a good striker.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:02 am

2blue2handle wrote:

I still reckon we have a large wage bill. Just because we don't use players don't mean we don't have to play them. Also the likes of Marshall, Whitts, Gunner which have been here a long time and had a number of new contracts must be on rather large contracts.

It's obvious we had to get numbers down, losing Moore and Adeyemi has next to no impact on the first squad. Still time for the transfer window to bring in who we need.

With players like Marshall, Whitts, Gunnar, Macheda, ALF and Dikgacoi still on the wage bill, I agree that our wage bill must still be extremely high - of course that's part of the reason why we get the parachute payments.

In my opinion no investor is going to go near the club until we are completely debt free, and using academy players is a nice idea but if you are introducing young players into a team that's struggling on the pitch it's putting a lot of pressure on them at an early stage in their careers.

Also a team of academy players is not going to bring the crowds back to the ground unfortunately. The best way to introduce young players is one or at most two at a time and into a settled team that's doing well.

Looking at the standard of player that have been signed since the club went back to blue it's very difficult to be confident that the powers that be can bring in who we need before the end of the transfer window.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:56 am

People have got very short memories!

In January we were in Transfer Embargo because we were paying out too much on players wages. It was not just the Kenwyn Jones salary. If the club are having to shell out over £100k per month for the likes of Alf. Machada and Dichachi (I could never say it or spell it) then we have to off load those guys before we can bring our much needed strikers in. As much as its frustrating the simple economics dictate AND FFP RULES that we have to offload players before we can bring any in.

GET REAL EVERYONE!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 am

dick head, you have no clue what's going on, how can tan pocket anything when we are a loss making club ffs

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:08 am

As a football club we are well and truly fooked at present, with a mad owner. We are only going one way at the moment, and that's head long into the lower leagues :bluebird:

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:As a football club we are well and truly fooked at present, with a mad owner. We are only going one way at the moment, and that's head long into the lower leagues :bluebird:

Mad you may think he is! but if he left today, there would not be any club here at all FACT!!! Question have you got £10M per year in small change to put into the club
Last edited by Whistler on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.