Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Our away support worse been in 15 Years! '

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm

' Our away support worse been in 15 Years! '

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142949

I first started following city in 1998 and one thing we were always know for was our loyal travelling fans! However currently I think the clubs support especially away support is at its worst state in years. This was always going to happen after several promotions In Sam Hamman era......then Wembley cup finals and playoffs runs, we had ten years of success really! However looking ahead to me, we are not far off the worst away supported club in the country including league 1/2!!!

It's a big statement but currently league 2 and conference teams are taking more than away us week in week out! Yes people will reply to this saying footy too expensive (same for all) V Tan era etc, but I do think we have lost a massive hardcore group of fans who have now moved on in life with families, work and other things! To me Cardiff fans have always been flickle but the away support is worrying low and I can't see it returning this season!

Re: Our away support worse been in 15 Years!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:25 pm

The thing that annoys me most is why the club wants supporters to come back but their actions just say the opposite. They say that our target is promotion and that is just not possible by the way we are being run at the moment. The only thing that will bring supporters back is results on the pitch and that is just not happening at the moment.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:32 pm

The club did its utmost to ruin the match day experience at the CCS with terrible stadium management and ridiculously officias stewarding, their remit was to crush the home support and I'm afraid it's driven alot of fans away from the club which is what the club wanted at the time, as they said they were replaceable customers. But I'm afraid these new customers left after our final premier league game of the season, and the die hard fans who were driven away, are also the loyal support at away games. All gone now I'm afraid. Be careful what you wish for CCFC :bluebird:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:30 pm

When you consider an away game prob costs about £100 when you add up ticket and travel and refreshments en route and pre match pub etc, it's little surprise that the average working fan is struggling to do many, if any, aways. Wouldnt surprise me if we have less than a hundred making the journey to Preston on Tuesday. Then when you factor in the terrible atmosphere at our home games there ain't a lot to entice any lost fans back is there?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:56 pm

TERRYB wrote:When you consider an away game prob costs about £100 when you add up ticket and travel and refreshments en route and pre match pub etc, it's little surprise that the average working fan is struggling to do many, if any, aways. Wouldnt surprise me if we have less than a hundred making the journey to Preston on Tuesday. Then when you factor in the terrible atmosphere at our home games there ain't a lot to entice any lost fans back is there?

Got to be honest Terry, that's pretty much a nonsense saying its hundred quid to go to an away match.
I don't travel away much but I went to Reading last season - cost me a tenner for fuel, a tenner for a few pints and about 25 quid or so for the the ticket.
You can get the coach to most games for £25 or so.
What do you want - a three course meal and ten pints with shots?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:04 pm

When Cardiff use to get 1,500 home crowds, we would take up North on a midweek game about 150 fans on a Saturday 400 fans,but don't get me wrong Ive been away with City with only 11 fans and 50 fans in the rea real dark days near the bottom of division 4.

When were in the old division 2,now the Championship, when we were getting 5,000-8,000 home crowds, we would take away 400 to say 1,500 to Watford and 3,500 to Bristol City.
But I've also been away with City to places like Northampton,Colchester,Crewe,Shrewsbury,Port Vale,Lincoln,Torquay,Orient,Darlington in division 4 when our home crowds have been 6,000 say,yet away support at places like them with nothing less than 1,500 and up to 3,000 City fans.

Sadly We've lost a lot of those fans.

Now we've got No restrictions,No all ticket games and some clubs have charged as little as £10-£20 admission, but I believe that many of the hardcore old City fans have had enough of the way our club has treated its fans the last 7 years.

Now we get 15,000-20,000 home crowds and we take away 100 fans,300 fans and if lucky 3 times a year 2,000 fans max.

Smaller clubs in the lower divisions nearly all now take more than us away,very very sad.

Fans from all over the UK would always praise our away support in the old days.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 pm

2015-16 Season Championship away support

Clubs in the Championship last season,All having to pay the same prices of admission as us,yes we travelled further than some,but we ended up 8th in the Championship and spent most of the season between 6th-8th in the Championship and clubs who got hammered week after week had better away support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Our away support worse been in 15 Years! '

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:14 pm

restrictions - hassle - costs - poor football - as not been the same for about 5 years

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:14 pm

The club are going from mid size to small :bluebird:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 pm

mallo wrote:restrictions - hassle - costs - poor football - as not been the same for about 5 years

Mallo, Now we've got No restrictions,No all ticket games and some clubs have charged as little as £10-£20 admission, but I believe that many of the hardcore old City fans have had enough of the way our club has treated its fans the last 7 years.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Blueboys1927 wrote:The club did its utmost to ruin the match day experience at the CCS with terrible stadium management and ridiculously officias stewarding, their remit was to crush the home support and I'm afraid it's driven alot of fans away from the club which is what the club wanted at the time, as they said they were replaceable customers. But I'm afraid these new customers left after our final premier league game of the season, and the die hard fans who were driven away, are also the loyal support at away games. All gone now I'm afraid. Be careful what you wish for CCFC :bluebird:

So far mate i've been to all last seasons away games and this seasons and the day outs getting boring,hardly see a city fan for a pre drink,we get 10 seats per city fan,even my son is getting bored now

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:39 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
TERRYB wrote:When you consider an away game prob costs about £100 when you add up ticket and travel and refreshments en route and pre match pub etc, it's little surprise that the average working fan is struggling to do many, if any, aways. Wouldnt surprise me if we have less than a hundred making the journey to Preston on Tuesday. Then when you factor in the terrible atmosphere at our home games there ain't a lot to entice any lost fans back is there?

Got to be honest Terry, that's pretty much a nonsense saying its hundred quid to go to an away match.
I don't travel away much but I went to Reading last season - cost me a tenner for fuel, a tenner for a few pints and about 25 quid or so for the the ticket.

Match ticket between 20 to 30 quid , coach or train fare between 20 to 30 quid, beers and food on bus, say 15 quid, pre match pub drinks, say 10 quid and if you buy food or a beer in the ground say a fiver. Add that lot up and that's the best part of a ton. Yes you can do Reading cheaper I agree but on average it would work out close to what I said. I am sure other regular travellers would agree.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
mallo wrote:restrictions - hassle - costs - poor football - as not been the same for about 5 years

Mallo, Now we've got No restrictions,No all ticket games and some clubs have charged as little as £10-£20 admission, but I believe that many of the hardcore old City fans have had enough of the way our club has treated its fans the last 7 years.

give it a rest on the club bashing annis ffs ,nothing to do with the club away trips ,more the fact that you can't sneeze without the threat of banning orders or prison it just ain't the same laugh anymore

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:02 pm

I think a lot of our away following is dwindling because we've lost a lot of the "Lads" That have stopped going. There was a massive hooligan element that has now got married and got kids. Chelsea away in the cup was the end for a lot of the boys. Whether we like to admit it or not we had a massive hooligan element that followed Cardiff everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 pm

I hesitate to ask but how many have we sold for Preston away?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Xcasual wrote:I think a lot of our away following is dwindling because we've lost a lot of the "Lads" That have stopped going. There was a massive hooligan element that has now got married and got kids. Chelsea away in the cup was the end for a lot of the boys. Whether we like to admit it or not we had a massive hooligan element that followed Cardiff everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion :bluescarf:

you are totally right I haven't been away since Chelsea away(apart from carling cup final in fancy dress :lol:) it's just not worth getting nicked anymore

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Lot of truth in the type of fan in the past but even so each and every one was hardcore Cardiff - throughout the euros I managed to meet up with hundreds of city fans that not been for a while and almost everyone of them state rebrand and club as been sold down the river - so basically even thou they should be supporting there club team its Tan and circus that as clearly caused all the problems year I'm year out !!!!! Let's hope everyone returns soon to back our boys on the pitch even if they lose every game - ( one colour one team ) Bluebirds

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

All Because tan to stubborn to listen to fans and real football professionals - football clubs run on passion not profit no fans no profit end off - and fans have gone hence why they panic and give in each season since rebrand ) and try and twist things that there always doing fans the favours

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:14 pm

TERRYB wrote:

Match ticket between 20 to 30 quid , coach or train fare between 20 to 30 quid, beers and food on bus, say 15 quid, pre match pub drinks, say 10 quid and if you buy food or a beer in the ground say a fiver. Add that lot up and that's the best part of a ton. Yes you can do Reading cheaper I agree but on average it would work out close to what I said. I am sure other regular travellers would agree.

Still don't agree mate.
As other people have mentioned - take a packed lunch for the bus! If you want to eat more at the ground and drink at the ground then it's no different to a home match where you would spend that anyway.
As Annis said lots of grounds now charging the 'twenty is plenty' as I think we do. Carl's coaches are usually 20-25 quid. Ten to fifteen quid for booze and you're sorted for between 50-60 quid. If budget is a problem - which I understand - then pick the games.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Xcasual wrote:I think a lot of our away following is dwindling because we've lost a lot of the "Lads" That have stopped going. There was a massive hooligan element that has now got married and got kids. Chelsea away in the cup was the end for a lot of the boys. Whether we like to admit it or not we had a massive hooligan element that followed Cardiff everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion :bluescarf:

A lot of truth as well in that, Stoke away first all the bans then, 10 years later Chelsea away all the bans and now the youngsters get banned for the silliest/smallest incident,more at Cardiff than at any other club.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:18 pm

TERRYB wrote:

Still don't agree mate.
As other people have mentioned - take a packed lunch for the bus! If you want to eat more at the ground and drink at the ground then it's no different to a home match where you would spend that anyway.
As Annis said lots of grounds now charging the 'twenty is plenty' as I think we do. Carl's coaches are usually 20-25 quid. Ten to fifteen quid for booze and you're sorted for between 50-60 quid. If budget is a problem - which I understand - then pick the games.

Correct all other fans from other clubs paying the money from the poorest areas to the wealthiest,ticket prices are starting to come down.

Funny our fans paid £45 -£55 just for a ticket in the Premier League.

It was £10 at Bristol Rovers this season and a £1 a kid and we still never sold out.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 pm

mallo wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

All Because tan to stubborn to listen to fans and real football professionals - football clubs run on passion not profit no fans no profit end off - and fans have gone hence why they panic and give in each season since rebrand ) and try and twist things that there always doing fans the favours

SADLY SPOT ON Mallo :thumbright: :ayatollah:

See you on Saturday for breakfast before Leeds home game :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 pm

CFS wrote:' Our away support worse been in 15 Years! '

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142949

I first started following city in 1998 and one thing we were always know for was our loyal travelling fans! However currently I think the clubs support especially away support is at its worst state in years. This was always going to happen after several promotions In Sam Hamman era......then Wembley cup finals and playoffs runs, we had ten years of success really! However looking ahead to me, we are not far off the worst away supported club in the country including league 1/2!!!

It's a big statement but currently league 2 and conference teams are taking more than away us week in week out! Yes people will reply to this saying footy too expensive (same for all) V Tan era etc, but I do think we have lost a massive hardcore group of fans who have now moved on in life with families, work and other things! To me Cardiff fans have always been flickle but the away support is worrying low and I can't see it returning this season!

Tan will reap what he started that's whats going on IMO. All the excuses under the sun don't come in to play if it was man utd away that's a fact such as it was a midweek game or no money excuses and the worst one ive seen on here is the weather was bad. I think your rite a lot of fans cba no more due to the way the circus has been run so have lost the feeling for the club somehow in there own ways. It lost touch with the fans years ago id say. Like tan said "Just customers" . So where are they now then vinny :roll:
The club lost something the moment people took his bribe on the red that's my honest opinion :thumbup:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 pm

IMO this is the main reason.....

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

A lot of truth as well in that, Stoke away first all the bans then, 10 years later Chelsea away all the bans and now the youngsters get banned for the silliest/smallest incident,more at Cardiff than at any other club.

Annis after the stoke game ,When the bans were up and a few of the older boys started to come back. The difference is they've all had kids :lol: So gone is the carefree attitude.You can't beat being a father :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Xcasual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis after the stoke game ,When the bans were up and a few of the older boys started to come back. The difference is they've all had kids :lol: So gone is the carefree attitude.You can't beat being a father :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:

Your Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:2015-16 Season Championship away support

Clubs in the Championship last season,All having to pay the same prices of admission as us,yes we travelled further than some,but we ended up 8th in the Championship and spent most of the season between 6th-8th in the Championship and clubs who got hammered week after week had better away support.

Annis it would be interesting to see how many each of those clubs brought to us compared to thier average

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Spot on mate, others will disagree but you're right. I used to run coaches from the Rhondda in the 80's/90's, those people went away for 2 reasons, the main one was to support the City, and secondly for a bit of a punch up. Those times have gone, probably for the better for most people, but not for me and hundreds of others from the Rhondda and other areas of South Wales.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:2015-16 Season Championship away support

Annis it would be interesting to see how many each of those clubs brought to us compared to thier average

I can look it up for you Steve :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:57 pm

wez1927 wrote:

you are totally right I haven't been away since Chelsea away(apart from carling cup final in fancy dress :lol:) it's just not worth getting nicked anymore

Same as me Wez , Can't risk getting involved. I still wear all the gear so i would be a target for rival lads. I couldn't miss my son growing up,Not for anything.