Updated: MARK CLATTENBURG

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Talk Sport just confirming that Premier League Referee Mark Clattenburg has quit "with immediate effect" and will not officiate in any further Premier League, FA or EFL games :shock:

Mark Clattenburg: Premier League official quits to take up job in Saudi Arabia

The Premier League have now confirmed that referee Mark Clattenburg has quit his job as a Premier League referee to take up a position in Saudi Arabia.

The 41-year-old is widely considered to be one of the best referees in football, and he took charge of the Euro 2016 final, the Champions League final and the FA Cup final last season.

In December, Clattenburg said he would consider officiating in China

Clattenburg took charge of his first Football League game as a 25-year-old in 2000. Four years later, he was promoted to the Premier League's Select Group.

As is the case with many referees, he has been no stranger to controversy. But perhaps more unusually for a match official, public attention has often been drawn to his life off the pitch.

In 2008, Clattenburg was suspended following an investigation into allegations he owed £60,000 as a result of a failed business venture, and he later had his elite referee status revoked.

But at an appeal in February 2009, his punishment was reduced to an eight-month suspension, backdated to August 2008.

In October 2014, he was dropped from officiating for two breaches of protocol - speaking on the phone with then-Crystal Palace boss Neil Warnock, before leaving a ground alone to drive to an Ed Sheeran concert.

The referee body, Professional Game Match Officials Limited, says officials must travel to and from the ground together for integrity and security.

And last summer he got two tattoos to commemorate refereeing the Euro 2016 and Champions League finals, and the Guardian reported he had a car with the license plate: 'C19TTS'.

In an interview with Associated Press in December, he said he did not understand why "people see [the tattoos] as a negative thing", adding: "I'm proud of what I've done."
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: BREAKING: MARK CLATTENBURG!!

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Was heavily critised other day for several bad decisions. :roll:
pembroke allan

Postby glyncoed4 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:36 pm

He's taking up a position in Saudi Arabia
glyncoed4

Postby Sven » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:42 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Was heavily critised other day for several bad decisions. :roll:

Allan, now this is confirmed it is a sad day for football in the UK :cry:

Mark Clattenburg is one of our better referees and whilst we might not always agree with his decision-mailing, I think that the amount of criticism and abuse he gets from both 'pundits' watching on every angle from 20 video monitors, as well as the armchair critics and keyboard warriors is culpable!

Sad, very sad and I wish him and his family well in whatever they decide to do next :thumbup: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Ever since Howard Webb retired, the Premier League has been short of good referees.

Clattenburg was probably the best out of a bad bunch.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Was heavily critised other day for several bad decisions. :roll:

Allan, if this is confirmed it will be a sad day for football in the UK :cry:

Mark Clattenburg is one of our better referees and whilst we might not always agree with his decision-mailing, I think that the amount of criticism and abuse he gets from both 'pundits' watching on every angle from 20 video monitors, as well as the armchair critics and keyboard warriors is culpable!

Sad, very sad and I wish him and his family well in whatever they decide to do next :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Only human and can only do his best like everyone else ! But now like you say every angle covered by cameras so slightest error pounced on by hindsight experts! :shock:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:48 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Ever since Howard Webb retired, the Premier League has been short of good referees.

Clattenburg was probably the best out of a bad bunch.

Ned, seems one of his biggest 'issues' was with Mike Riley and the way the referees weren't being backed :(
Sven

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Sven wrote:

I'll never forget that game against Leeds where he sent off Chopra and Walton his performance was simply hopeless that day. I know it is a game of opinions but after that nonsense I couldn't take him seriously ever again.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Sven » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sven wrote:

I'll never forget that game against Leeds where he sent off Chopra and Walton his performance was simply hopeless that day. I know it is a game of opinions but after that nonsense I couldn't take him seriously ever again.

Tony, it's the wider repercussions for football (and refereeing in particular) that bothers me with the situation and not Clattenburg per say :thumbup:

Reports that he (Clattenburg) is actually in Saudi Arabia holding a press conference right now! :o :shock:
Sven

Postby mugsy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 pm

No great loss!
mugsy

Postby nubbsy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:22 pm

There we are then!
nubbsy

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:49 pm

mugsy wrote:No great loss!

You say that but I think it's a huge loss to football when somebody (player or referee) at the peak of his game and one of the best in the world is lost to the UK.
Money will be a big factor in losing more referees abroad as well as the talk of Howard Webb taking over the head of MSL.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Clattenburg always got involved in controversy and always tended to favour the big teams. They say the best referrees go unnoticed and that definitely never applied to Clattenburg. Terrible ref, good riddance!
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby castleblue » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Another example of the lack of loyalty in modern day football and whilst I wish him the best of luck for the future I hope he has had to repay a portion of his £38k retainer.

Clattenberg as one of the "Elite" panel of referees would have earned over £120k this season but has decided to jump ship mid season, why?, I dare say his salary in SA is mouthwatering and almost certainly tax free. Probably had the heads up from his mate Howard Webb who also jumped ship but in his case at the start of the 2014-15 season. He moved into the role Clattenberg now has after he decided to jump ship and move to a newand probably even higher paid role in MLS.

Whatever happened to notice periods or don't they operate in the world of football. In my opinion Clattenberg should have been made to complete this season afterall his £38k retainer was intended to secure his services for this season.

Another example of money above ALL else attitude which infests the beautiful game these days.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Clattenburg always got involved in controversy and always tended to favour the big teams. They say the best referrees go unnoticed and that definitely never applied to Clattenburg. Terrible ref, good riddance!

i think that footballing cliche came from a time when the only football on screen was a Pathe news clip at the flicks mate.
its impossible to be an unnoticed ref these days or at least not in the premier league.
dogfound

Postby Rydogsccfc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't think many will complain he was hated anyway.
On 13th December 2016 one man stood up to be counted against a pack of Wolves his name was Kenneth Zohore.
Rydogsccfc

Postby RICK+CCFC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Sven wrote:

:laughing6: We still won that game, even though Walton's Kung Fu tackle was highlighted on Soccer FM.

Seriously though, I never rated Clattenburg as a good referee,,,,in fact, I thought him below average, Imo!
RICK+CCFC

Postby darran1927 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Sven wrote:

agree was shocking that day , he has improved but tbh the standard of refs is not great, I think the "best" in the prem at the moment is Michael Oliver
darran1927

Postby nubbsy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

castleblue wrote:Another example of the lack of loyalty in modern day football and whilst I wish him the best of luck for the future I hope he has had to repay a portion of his £38k retainer.

Clattenberg as one of the "Elite" panel of referees would have earned over £120k this season but has decided to jump ship mid season, why?, I dare say his salary in SA is mouthwatering and almost certainly tax free. Probably had the heads up from his mate Howard Webb who also jumped ship but in his case at the start of the 2014-15 season. He moved into the role Clattenberg now has after he decided to jump ship and move to a newand probably even higher paid role in MLS.

Whatever happened to notice periods or don't they operate in the world of football. In my opinion Clattenberg should have been made to complete this season afterall his £38k retainer was intended to secure his services for this season.

Another example of money above ALL else attitude which infests the beautiful game these days.

Who is he suppose to have loyalty to exactly? I mean 120k is good money but given the chance to potentially retire a lot earlier (if that's what he wants) and considerably richer it's a no brainer really.
nubbsy

Postby dogfound » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 pm

nubbsy wrote:
castleblue wrote:Another example of the lack of loyalty in modern day football and whilst I wish him the best of luck for the future I hope he has had to repay a portion of his £38k retainer.

Who is he suppose to have loyalty to exactly? I mean 120k is good money but given the chance to potentially retire a lot earlier (if that's what he wants) and considerably richer it's a no brainer really.

have to agree ,and as for loyalty in the modern game ,there has never been loyalty in football bar a few exeptions.infact its never been about the loyalty of players or loyalty too players. and fans?.well they tend to be loyal to clubs but often little to players
dogfound

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Clattenburg has now agreed to take charge of four more Premier League games before his move.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Re: Updated: MARK CLATTENBURG

Postby Sven » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg will continue in his role until the end of the season.

Clattenburg, 41, is to become the new head of referees in Saudi Arabia and was expected to leave immediately.

However, the Premier League has confirmed he will take charge of Saturday's match between West Brom and Bournemouth at The Hawthorns.

Clattenburg, a Fifa referee since 2006, is widely considered to be one of the best officials in world football.

He took charge of the Euro 2016 final, the Champions League final and the FA Cup final last season.
Sven

Return to General Chat