Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

whittingham.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Cardiff city legend agreed can never be disputed.

But for a player looking for a contract he did nothing when he came on, walking at times and signalling for a pass?? Awful corner kicks, sideways passing not going in for tackles.

As said will always be a Cardiff legend but sadly I think his time is up.

Re: whittingham.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I have no doubt that it's time for him to move on. We are playing a different style and the wage he would need and probably get elsewhere is just not justified for us.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Whittingham coasted through the game. It was hardly the type of performance that will earn him a new contract.

Although Halford had a very iffy performance, losing him was a blow as that meant Gunnarsson had to drop into the holding role. This meant when the ball was cleared, Zohore was isolated because Gunnarsson was forced to hold his position and not burst forwards to support, so Birmingham weren't getting pressed back.

Anyone else notice Whittingham leaving the pitch after the final whistle? He walked straight past Warnock as if he wasn't there. They didn't even turn heads to glance at each other.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm

I was surprised when Whitts came on he went back to his old game of passing to another player and wanting it back. We were 1-up, but we don't do that anymore.

Halford at Home as the DM, with Ralls and Gunnar tell me all I need to know. Whitts is off.

I hope he gets the send off he deserves.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Whittingham coasted through the game. It was hardly the type of performance that will earn him a new contract.

Although Halford had a very iffy performance, losing him was a blow as that meant Gunnarsson had to drop into the holding role. This meant when the ball was cleared, Zohore was isolated because Gunnarsson was forced to hold his position and not burst forwards to support, so Birmingham weren't getting pressed back.

Anyone else notice Whittingham leaving the pitch after the final whistle? He walked straight past Warnock as if he wasn't there. They didn't even turn heads to glance at each other.

Poor again today. The writings on the wall I think.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Whittingham coasted through the game. It was hardly the type of performance that will earn him a new contract.

Poor again today. The writings on the wall I think.

Well I've be saying whitts is past it for a while ,but then again I'm only the forum idiot hmmm

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I thought they seemed shall we say a little distant.No doubt in my mind now that Whitts is on his way.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Hopefully the money offered to whittingham will instead used to keep Bruno manga. Sad to say but agree with you all,time for him to move on

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Cardiff city legend agreed can never be disputed.

But for a player looking for a contract he did nothing when he came on, walking at times and signalling for a pass?? Awful corner kicks, sideways passing not going in for tackles.

As said will always be a Cardiff legend but sadly I think his time is up.

Got to agree, if the wage structure is right then I think he can still contribute as a squad player as his class always tells but for me I think his time is up under Warnock.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I like Whitts but its time to go now I think.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Didnt go to game and don't have to to see Whitts and the mgr are not on the same level. He's been our best player for the last few years but they have not connected.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

I have always highly rated Whittingham and appreciated what he has done for the club. When he came on, I was hoping he would still show he has it. Totally off the pace today, terrible set pieces and disn't chase/close down. Gutted to say but I think it's time to move on.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 pm

r_lecrass wrote:I have always highly rated Whittingham and appreciated what he has done for the club. When he came on, I was hoping he would still show he has it. Totally off the pace today, terrible set pieces and disn't chase/close down. Gutted to say but I think it's time to move on.

Have to agree with this and it changed the balance of the side giving Brum more space and hope... growing in those closing minutes

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 am

I don't think we can blame Whitts for the fact that we lost 2 points today. Brim had to go for it and we didn't defend that well in the last 10 minutes because we sit too deep. We had a lot of pressure but didn't convert it into goals. Whitts has been my favourite player for a long time but agree that it's time for him to move on.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:00 pm

I think all this pontificating is probably a waste of time. The inevitable happens, players grow older and lose their effectiveness. It's a pity if it's a particular fan's favourite but nothing can be done about it. My favourite player of all time was Maradona but I wouldn't play him in my local parks side now!

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:23 pm

He still has something to offer, I think people have short memories, for large parts of this season he has been one of our better performers. With big ken up front and enjoying playing on the shoulder of defenders whitts' passing ability is perfect to get him in behind.

Saying that I did notice when whitts walked off him and Warnock did seem very distant, no hand shake just head down and down the tunnel. With wages needed to be slashed I think it's inevitable that he will leave this summer.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Hes played ok this season. But I just think hes just not worth the significant wage cgunk. Plus its clear that our previous seasons tactics have been to make everything go through peter whittingham,thats why gunners and especially Joe Ralls looked lost at times

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Like Marshall, we have had the best year from Whitts. I think Warnock has tried him in the Adel Taarabt role, but as lazy as Taarabt was he still had young legs and a crazy amount of ability.

Warnock is a championship master, he had two great players in Faurlin and Taarabt for his last promotion that we don't have. How many players do we have above average at anything ?

We used to have Peter Whittinghams technical ability, Malky identified this and created a system to wring every sinew out of him to create an attritional brand of football that wasn't pretty to watch but very effective. We were awesome at set plays

Sol Bamba is an above average centre half.
Zohore has the potential to be anything.

I believe Gunnar could be a decent DM but Warnock appears to want height in that role as he prefer Halford or Bamba in that role

I fear our found enthusiasm for next season is based purely on the manager rather than the team.

Back to Whitts - I believe Warnock wants legs in that position (the reason i think Gunnar may be sold).I hope we make him player coach, club and U23's captain and prepare the next generation to make the step up to senior football, because by the look of it Bellers wants to play pass and move football :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:09 pm

When Whitts came on he did the role he was presumably told to play. Keep the ball when we're 1-0 up. Can't help it if the rest of the squad revert to hoofball!

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:14 pm

In fairness to whitts and other players who are bit part players now under NW it's very hard to get upto the mark expected in middle of a game ! He did ok but the team as a whole didn't help with their management of the game , having said that I think whitts is a luxury NW can't afford playing wise! :old:

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Like Marshall, we have had the best year from Whitts. I think Warnock has tried him in the Adel Taarabt role, but as lazy as Taarabt was he still had young legs and a crazy amount of ability.

Warnock is a championship master, he had two great players in Faurlin and Taarabt for his last promotion that we don't have. How many players do we have above average at anything ?

We used to have Peter Whittinghams technical ability, Malky identified this and created a system to wring every sinew out of him to create an attritional brand of football that wasn't pretty to watch but very effective. We were awesome at set plays

Sol Bamba is an above average centre half.
Zohore has the potential to be anything.

I believe Gunnar could be a decent DM but Warnock appears to want height in that role as he prefer Halford or Bamba in that role

I fear our found enthusiasm for next season is based purely on the manager rather than the team.

Back to Whitts - I believe Warnock wants legs in that position (the reason i think Gunnar may be sold).I hope we make him player coach, club and U23's captain and prepare the next generation to make the step up to senior football, because by the look of it Bellers wants to play pass and move football :ayatollah:

You think Gunnarsson will be sold because Warnock wants legs in the middle? Gunnarsson gives us more legs than any of our current centre midfielders. He's our only centre midfielder capable of breaking forwards to penetrate the opposing defence. Examples would be his goal at Wigan last season and his break forwards to set up Zohore away to Leeds recently. He's our only centre midfielder capable of ghosting into the box to get on the end of a cross. No other centre midfielder at the club can do that.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm

A cardiff legend.. Woukd never say a bad word about him.. Deserves a new contract.