Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Independence

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 am

BlueGog wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:Scotland were always going to vote until they got the answer the SNP wanted.

If Ireland is united - something they have NEVER been in the past - they will then see another civil war with the Loyalists.

As for Wales we are much better remaining part of the Union with England :old:

Think you'll find that Ireland was always united until Lloyd George separated it in 1922.

Fair point but I meant from an Irish perspective - they always harp on about it - just like when they say the English invaded them - when exactly did that happen?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 am

BlueGog wrote:
Sven wrote:
mucker wrote:50% of Scottish voters in the General Election didn't vote for SNP but only got three seats.The 50% that voted SNP got 56 seats.Ukip gained 3.8 million votes for one seat in Parliament.SNP gained their 56 seats with 1.4 million votes.North sea oil prices dropped by 97% in 2016.Spain will veto any Scottish application for EU membership due to Catalonian situation.Guess who would intervene if Russia decided to fancy Scotland?Any bricks left fom Mexico wall ?????

SNP have peaked and that showed in the last elections. Nicola Sturgeon egged on by her irrepressible puppeteer Alec Salmond) is having one last stab in the dark at achieving her/his lifetime dream of independence

The pair of them must have been researching Ancestory.co.uk and find they are both related to Robert the Bruce because that can be the only explanation as to why they are so intent on selling their constituents down the river of financial ruin!

As for wales becoming truly 'independent' of the UK? I don't think even the most optimistic of Plaid Cymru self-seekers could really want that to happen and should the Scots ever succeed in their quest to 'go it alone' it would only go to show Wales that (being even less financially viable than Scotland) the grass really is greener where we are! :ayatollah:

When I was in school, on a map, half the world was pink. Ruled by England or 'Britain.' The vast majority of those nations are now free from the grip of colonialism even tiny countries like Malta are doing ok. Wales and then Scotland were the first nations to be colonized by the English, what do you find so wrong in nations wishing to self-determine their own future?

Think for a moment, Wales gets £200m as part of the Barnet formula to run health, education etc. Westminster are spending £400m to repair Buckingham Palace! You can add the cost of a new yacht and repairing Westminster to that and you might look at things from a different perspective. The Welsh economy is worst than it's ever been. That's partly down to Labour, but then that's how England wants it to be, they wouldn't want us to be a rich, confident, healthy nation would they?

Wales is not too small, I've mentioned Malta, you can add Iceland, Latvia etc to the list. All smaller nations that are doing ok thank you.

We are waking up to the post Brexit British Isles. Scotland WILL become an independent nation, maybe not not next time but in the near future. Ireland WILL become united. Who would have thought that! But I remember a friend who served in the forces there telling me that eventually the unionists will become the minority. This is happening now, a combination of Brexit and biology! So, that leaves Wales. do we become a county of England like Devon or Somerset or even Wangland! Or do we become a nation once again? I know what I would choose.

Sorry when WERE we a nation?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am

Jock wrote:
tcblue wrote:
djronnieb wrote:Scotland and Wales would go bankrupt if they had independance
The Scottish and Welsh leaders are total looneys
That Krankie woman should be sectioned
Great Britain includes 4 countries and should stay that way
The Welsh assembly should also be scraped as they waste millions of our moneyv

Four countries all run from London though. That means that we aren't really a country though doesn't it= complete fail in logic. I would argue if we did that, we should also scrap our national teams because we would not deserve to be a nation

Scrap the Assembly even though there have been 2 referendums won in the last few years. Are you a fascist or just anti-democratic? Start overturning referendums and Brexit will be next sonny Jim

I'll ignore the consistent polls in favour of more powers being devolved to Wales over the last decade. I imagine you're the type of person who doesn't believe a poll unless it agrees with you. However, if you want to verify, google elections in Wales blog or search for the recent st. David's poll on the BBC

Assembly wastes loads of money? Westmonster wastes more in a month than the Assembly does in a year. In your world, you would have Wales, run from an unelected office in London, controlled by a party (who lost in Wales) and who recently passed a budget to give the queen (one of the richest landowners) a £400m refurb of her palace whilst only giving the entire country of Wales £200m!

Sheer lunacy if you ask me

Who only gives Wales £200m, your not an economist are you, you really don't have a clue.

If we only get £200m we are in big trouble. That would keep our NHS in business for a couple of days I suppose.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:27 pm

tcblue wrote:
Bushy Eyebrows wrote:https://sovereignwales.com/constitution/ https://sovereignwales.com/declaration/ https://sovereignwales.com/manifesto/ it's possible but with several new parties to kick Plaid asses

Will keep an eye on these

Pro Indy Wales, anti-EU. Sounds good to me :thumbup: Will keep an eye on these[/quote]. Brawd you have obviously read it, it makes total sense and Neither Westminster or Brussels interfere. Perhaps some other posters could take their time to read any of the three documents it would perhaps give them a new modern perceptive on this debate.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Just a few points
I`m sure everyone in Wales would love an independent country :clap: we have a beautiful country great people just one thing missing
We don`t have enough people working in high paid Jobs, we also don`t have the right caliber of People to run our country just take a look at the numpties running 22 councils and the Welsh Gravy train Assy FFS :lol:

You can`t rely on the welsh worker companies of Wales to be taxed to death to pay for everything
where the f**k would the money come from ? let me guess the welsh assy idiots would borrow from a New world order run bank OH f**k :lol: with stupid payback interest rates we`d be worse than Greece, I thought at the moment we get more back from London than Wales give pay in taxes ?
big Industry has gone we seem to have lots of small businesses and lots of Tourism but also lots and lots and lots of public Sector workers 22 Councils to pay for :roll: full of overpaid idiots sitting at the top all doing the same jobs ?

No Independence for Wales NOT YET ANYWAY

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Tailgunner wrote:Just a few points
I`m sure everyone in Wales would love an independent country :clap: we have a beautiful country great people just one thing missing
We don`t have enough people working in high paid Jobs, we also don`t have the right caliber of People to run our country just take a look at the numpties running 22 councils and the Welsh Gravy train Assy FFS :lol:

You can`t rely on the welsh worker companies of Wales to be taxed to death to pay for everything
where the f**k would the money come from ? let me guess the welsh assy idiots would borrow from a New world order run bank OH f**k :lol: with stupid payback interest rates we`d be worse than Greece, I thought at the moment we get more back from London than Wales give pay in taxes ?
big Industry has gone we seem to have lots of small businesses and lots of Tourism but also lots and lots and lots of public Sector workers 22 Councils to pay for :roll: full of overpaid idiots sitting at the top all doing the same jobs ?

Agree with you totally

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Way too sensible.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Jock wrote:

Way too sensible.

That has always been my point. With just over 70% of people in Wales in employment, many of whom are in low paid jobs, where will the money come from to pay for our unemployed and those who are not fit enough to work. By the time you take into account the NHS and everything else, those lucky enough to work in well paid jobs will soon become extremely poor as the bulk of their wages will have to be taxed, and even then we would still be one big mess in no time.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Jock wrote:

Way too sensible.

That has always been my point. With just over 70% of people in Wales in employment, many of whom are in low paid jobs, where will the money come from to pay for our unemployed and those who are not fit enough to work. By the time you take into account the NHS and everything else, those lucky enough to work in well paid jobs will soon become extremely poor as the bulk of their wages will have to be taxed, and even then we would still be one big mess in no time.

The people who want independence cant ever back up there argument with the economics of it, its simple we cant afford it if we want to continue the wealth fare state

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:15 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:...

If its so good over there why do tbey want to come to britain ? Average monthly wage there is 500 pound a month ,i bet you want wales to be like that

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:22 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:...

Seriously?? You are comparing a country forced in to the Soviet Union. A dictatorship. Known for its brutality. With a country where we are free and have a democratic vote at all elections relevant to us. A country that the evil English allow us to go about our lives with freedom or speech. Liberties that the Lithuanians probably could only dream of??

Seriously that is rediculous. If we were under the rule of a dictator I would be first in line to get real freedom for our people. But we aren't. This is 2017 not the Middle Ages!

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Among the member-states of the European Union and NATO Lithuania is one of the poorer countries. But it is richer than or on par with other Eastern European members of the said international organizations with the exception of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Slovenia (Not my words, copied and pasted)

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Jock wrote:

Way too sensible.

The separatists have no answer to what currency they would use, what their economic plan would be based on, would they leave NATO, it's all meaningless bluster about Wales ran by Wales.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 pm

My personal view of the Scottish request for a referendum .....is that it was supposed to be a once n a generation vote. Therefore I dont think it is time to go through the process again. In addition the vote was pretty clearcut.
Also I don't like the idea of a referendum that if the vote is No it can be regularly repeated, but if the vote is Yes then thats it ..it is forever.
BUT
Unfortunately, we are in an era where politicians such as the Brexiteers can say downright lies to get a vote in their favour and this is then supposed to be forever and no one can argue against it.

The opening thread then uses the Scottish request for a referendum to make an unfair comment about a party in Wales which he referred to by another name (ie a wrong name). I guess it is Plaid Cymru which he means. I am not a Plaid voter, but listening to some of the comments here slagging off Wales almost makes me feel like turning to Plaid. Furthermore, if I was a Welshman living in Scotland I would show the country some respect. Therefore if I was a "JOCK" living in Wales I would not slag off the country in which I have chosen to live.
On the other hand maybe the enemy within is even more disappointing. Show some pride in your country rather than running it down. ....QUOTE "also don`t have the right caliber of People to run our country". Hang your head in shame We do have the right CALIBRE of people. Have some pride in your country and some faith in your fellow countrymen f.f.s.!!! :wave:

:bluebird:
I love my country as in dies
In apathy before my eyes!
:bluebird: :thumbup:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Lengee wrote:My personal view of the Scottish request for a referendum .....is that it was supposed to be a once n a generation vote. Therefore I dont think it is time to go through the process again. In addition the vote was pretty clearcut.
Also I don't like the idea of a referendum that if the vote is No it can be regularly repeated, but if the vote is Yes then thats it ..it is forever.
BUT
Unfortunately, we are in an era where politicians such as the Brexiteers can say downright lies to get a vote in their favour and this is then supposed to be forever and no one can argue against it.

The opening thread then uses the Scottish request for a referendum to make an unfair comment about a party in Wales which he referred to by another name (ie a wrong name). I guess it is Plaid Cymru which he means. I am not a Plaid voter, but listening to some of the comments here slagging off Wales almost makes me feel like turning to Plaid. Furthermore, if I was a Welshman living in Scotland I would show the country some respect. Therefore if I was a "JOCK" living in Wales I would not slag off the country in which I have chosen to live.
On the other hand maybe the enemy within is even more disappointing. Show some pride in your country rather than running it down. ....QUOTE "also don`t have the right caliber of People to run our country". Hang your head in shame We do have the right CALIBRE of people. Have some pride in your country and some faith in your fellow countrymen f.f.s.!!! :wave:

Both sides of the euro debate lied nothing new as all politicians lie given right circumstances?!! :thumbup:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I dont want to argue the Brexit issue again. :banghead: Everyone is entitled to their view. Personally, I feel it is disgraceful that such a massive issue was decided because the Tories wanted to appease their right wing MPs. An example of a few rich English MPs having enough influence to get a referendum affecting the whole of the UK. I think it was a huge mistake, but we won't know in a couple of years.
That is bad enough without the SNP restarting the Referendum debate again! I am tired of the Scottish question dominating politics.

I am presently happy to be Welsh first and British second. BUT I agree with Blue Gog that if Scotland goes (and poss Northern Ireland) then we are no longer Welsh first and British second. We are England with a little footnote called Wales tagged on. In those circumstances I would be 100% for independence and take an extreme view. I do think that we would be fine as there are many other small countries that have. Too many people talk down Wales its economy and people.

Anyway I dont think Scotland will leave any time soon (I hope not).

:bluebird: Yma o hyd :bluebird:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 am

Fusilier23 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
Sven wrote:
mucker wrote:50% of Scottish voters in the General Election didn't vote for SNP but only got three seats.The 50% that voted SNP got 56 seats.Ukip gained 3.8 million votes for one seat in Parliament.SNP gained their 56 seats with 1.4 million votes.North sea oil prices dropped by 97% in 2016.Spain will veto any Scottish application for EU membership due to Catalonian situation.Guess who would intervene if Russia decided to fancy Scotland?Any bricks left fom Mexico wall ?????

SNP have peaked and that showed in the last elections. Nicola Sturgeon egged on by her irrepressible puppeteer Alec Salmond) is having one last stab in the dark at achieving her/his lifetime dream of independence

The pair of them must have been researching Ancestory.co.uk and find they are both related to Robert the Bruce because that can be the only explanation as to why they are so intent on selling their constituents down the river of financial ruin!

As for wales becoming truly 'independent' of the UK? I don't think even the most optimistic of Plaid Cymru self-seekers could really want that to happen and should the Scots ever succeed in their quest to 'go it alone' it would only go to show Wales that (being even less financially viable than Scotland) the grass really is greener where we are! :ayatollah:

When I was in school, on a map, half the world was pink. Ruled by England or 'Britain.' The vast majority of those nations are now free from the grip of colonialism even tiny countries like Malta are doing ok. Wales and then Scotland were the first nations to be colonized by the English, what do you find so wrong in nations wishing to self-determine their own future?

Think for a moment, Wales gets £200m as part of the Barnet formula to run health, education etc. Westminster are spending £400m to repair Buckingham Palace! You can add the cost of a new yacht and repairing Westminster to that and you might look at things from a different perspective. The Welsh economy is worst than it's ever been. That's partly down to Labour, but then that's how England wants it to be, they wouldn't want us to be a rich, confident, healthy nation would they?

Wales is not too small, I've mentioned Malta, you can add Iceland, Latvia etc to the list. All smaller nations that are doing ok thank you.

We are waking up to the post Brexit British Isles. Scotland WILL become an independent nation, maybe not not next time but in the near future. Ireland WILL become united. Who would have thought that! But I remember a friend who served in the forces there telling me that eventually the unionists will become the minority. This is happening now, a combination of Brexit and biology! So, that leaves Wales. do we become a county of England like Devon or Somerset or even Wangland! Or do we become a nation once again? I know what I would choose.

The old welsh speaking Brythonig tribes 'ruled' what is now England and Wales before and after the Romans left until the Saxons and Danes began to arrive in the 5/6 century. As they took over what is now England we were pushed westward and northwards. Eventually settling in the lowlands of Scotland, what is now more or less wales and Cornwall. Some also went to Brittany in northern France. Cornish and Breton are very similar to old Welsh, and old Welsh was spoken in areas of Scotland up until the 13th century.
Wales as such was a nation up until 1282 when our last ruler Llewelyn was killed by the English. We were also free for a short time between 1400 and 1405 during the Glyndŵr rebellion.
As for Ireland they were under English rule from roughly the same time up until 1922.

Sorry about the history lesson but that is part of our problem. Our history is not taught to our children. It's still 1066 and all that, nothing to do with us, but that's what happens the conqueror always writes the history books!

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am

BlueGog wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
Sven wrote:

The old welsh speaking Brythonig tribes 'ruled' what is now England and Wales before and after the Romans left until the Saxons and Danes began to arrive in the 5/6 century. As they took over what is now England we were pushed westward and northwards. Eventually settling in the lowlands of Scotland, what is now more or less wales and Cornwall. Some also went to Brittany in northern France. Cornish and Breton are very similar to old Welsh, and old Welsh was spoken in areas of Scotland up until the 13th century.
Wales as such was a nation up until 1282 when our last ruler Llewelyn was killed by the English. We were also free for a short time between 1400 and 1405 during the Glyndŵr rebellion.
As for Ireland they were under English rule from roughly the same time up until 1922.

Sorry about the history lesson but that is part of our problem. Our history is not taught to our children. It's still 1066 and all that, nothing to do with us, but that's what happens the conqueror always writes the history books!

Instead of twisting history to suit your blinkered agenda, tell us what currency an independent Wales would use, tell us what the economic strategy would be, would Wales seek to join the EU, NATO, EFTA, would healthcare be free, what would an independent Wales position be on immigration, would the Welsh language be expanded and what would the benefits of that be to the people and the country, would a Welsh speaking country encourage inward investment. Why not try getting your head out your arse and instead of living in the 13th century tell us what life would be like in a "Free" Wales in the 21st.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 am

Jock wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:
BlueGog wrote:
Sven wrote:

Instead of twisting history to suit your blinkered agenda, tell us what currency an independent Wales would use, tell us what the economic strategy would be, would Wales seek to join the EU, NATO, EFTA, would healthcare be free, what would an independent Wales position be on immigration, would the Welsh language be expanded and what would the benefits of that be to the people and the country, would a Welsh speaking country encourage inward investment. Why not try getting your head out your arse and instead of living in the 13th century tell us what life would be like in a "Free" Wales in the 21st.

The simple answer would be he hasnt got a clue or a plan ,how would we pay for our nhs ? The looney lefties just havnt got the answer simple answer we cant afford to go independent any fool can see that

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am

Lengee wrote:My personal view of the Scottish request for a referendum .....is that it was supposed to be a once n a generation vote. Therefore I dont think it is time to go through the process again. In addition the vote was pretty clearcut.
BUT

We have the calibre (the Terry Matthews types) but not working as politicians, so you can't be serious

You'll be telling me next Leanne Wood. She's an embarrassment and if she's the best we got :laughing6:

She talks about being nice to immigrants, yet we have 25% of welsh people living below the Poverty line. WAKE UP YOU STUPID COW, you have more important priorities

As for that clown Carwyn Jones (c.£180,000 pa) he gives Kirsty Williams a Job as Minister for Education ( :laughing6: ). she has NO experience in education yet she's the boss WTF? You can`t make it up :lol:

Can you imagine these idiots running the whole country? OMG :laughing6:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Had to laugh at the Lithuania post when there's is 1000s of them living in the supposedly poor country of Wales. :lol:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 pm

murphy wrote:Had to laugh at the Lithuania post when there's is 1000s of them living in the supposedly poor country of Wales. :lol:

Yes a couple million Europeans migrate here because life is so great in their own countries!! We migrate to Europe mainly for the sun! :laughing6:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Wales has 4.9% of the UK population, but its income tax receipts amounted to just 3.1% of the UK total and a mere 1.6% of capital gains tax revenue.

We receive an estimated £3,000 per household more in benefits than we pay in taxes to the UK government.

So somebody tell me how on earth we could go it alone right now.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Regarding terry Matthews. Indeed excellent calibre. A hugely successful man. Who I understand lives In Canada. ....

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm

welshrarebit wrote:Regarding terry Matthews. Indeed excellent calibre. A hugely successful man. Who I understand lives In Canada. ....

Professes his love for Wales.......but f##k living here.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Wales has 4.9% of the UK population, but its income tax receipts amounted to just 3.1% of the UK total and a mere 1.6% of capital gains tax revenue.

We receive an estimated £3,000 per household more in benefits than we pay in taxes to the UK government.

I'm sure those who want an independent Wales could tell you ? :laughing6:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Wales has 4.9% of the UK population, but its income tax receipts amounted to just 3.1% of the UK total and a mere 1.6% of capital gains tax revenue.

Never mind all that what about the b*stard Saxons.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Why would we want independence? We are one of the poorest countries in Europe. We will be ruled by austerity-driven, banker- benefiting Tories for years to come.
We export water and energy and are actually self-sufficient in terms of agriculture.
They closed down the pits, ironworks ( with a few exceptions) and left us with very little in terms of manufacturing.

Why wouldn't we want independence.?.....We have nothing to lose, except Westminster cuts and a class-ridden society.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 pm

bluemun wrote:Why would we want independence? We are one of the poorest countries in Europe. We will be ruled by austerity-driven, banker- benefiting Tories for years to come.
We export water and energy and are actually self-sufficient in terms of agriculture.
They closed down the pits, ironworks ( with a few exceptions) and left us with very little in terms of manufacturing.

Why wouldn't we want independence.?.....We have nothing to lose, except Westminster cuts and a class-ridden society.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: